Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Shadow" Callahan

Jack sighs, "and how do you feel about the Lich King? He's a shadow of his former self now, after the first Orc Lord shattered his magics, crushed his armies, and put a spear through his left eye. The Orcs have always been a threat, it's just that the Empire is continually expending the bulk of its armies keeping them at bay so civilians like you can think of them as a bumpkin problem. These aren't just any Orcs, either. No more than you're just any human. They're the cream of the crop, Lords and Heroes among a kind that respects only strength, cunning, and brutality. They've risen in a world of constant violence, unending challenge, rivaled only by..." Jack trails off in thought, sudden excitement lighting in his face. He starts tugging Isaac's heavy hood over his face, "we'll need a bone mask for you... Ryu already has the physique, just need some camo paint. Temur's monstrous enough to fit in with the right accessories, we can give the big armored dude a black paint job... Yeah, yeah, this can work!"

"I know how we can sneak you clumsy bastards right up to the ritual grounds without anyone the wiser! If humans attack this camp, it's an invasion. If Orcs do it, it's another day in the life! We claim we're a group of Marauders come from the Southern edge of the world and we deserve a place of honor. They say we aren't fit to clean their poo poo, so we challenge for leadership of the warband. Their best versus ours. Once we execute their leadership in suitably stylish fashion, their subordinates will fall in line."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Whatever Penitent thinks of Isaac's smirk is hidden behind his face concealing helmet. Only his eyes peer out, and they are impassive.

"That ring belonged to a different person than I. He is dead, only service remains."

Perch rolls her eyes before turning to Jack and giving his plan a thought.
"Hm. Gonna go through all my black to cover those two slabs of metal and meat... should be possible though. The scout and I will scrounge for some dropped tusks and that bone mask, I'll leave the paint with the you here. Stay in the rocks, we'll be back in a jiffy."

Brawls and isolated murders are far from rare in a warcamp, and especially not in one as vast as this. Discarded tusks and fangs, warpaint, and mud are easy to find. The skull mask is somewhat harder, but not a problem for Jack, who flits into the temp of a sleeping Warshouter and easily takes it.

The rest of you hide in the cramped set of boulders and grimly set about your task of making yourselves orcs. The paint is heavy and greasy, and with how large Penitent and Ryu are you end up needing to help each other. Temur has to slick down his fur, though some trimming around the face gives the appearance of a huge beard which should pass. Even Isaac has to slather on the paint, lest his pale skin peeking from his clothes give the game away.

It doesn't take terribly long, and when you're finished (with some final touches from Jack), you look at each other, and find yourselves looking into the faces of vicious, murderous orcs. It should pass inspection, though Jack ponders some of the issues. Penitent has covered his Wyrm insignias with leathers and bones, but his armor is still clearly not Orc made. And Orcish War casters don't generally go for robes like Isaac is wearing, but Isaac's physique is far to lithe to pass without them. And if Ryu doesn't stop poking those tusks stuck in his mouth they're liable to fall out.

Still, you radiate power, and Orcs are not inquisitive until you give them a reason to be. Perch gives you the thumbs up.

"Looking pretty orcy, not a bad job for behind enemy lines. I'll see if I can pinpoint where Linda is. Good luck, you lot."

You step out from your boulder ridden hiding spot and begin to make your way to the warcamp. It isn't long before a sentry spots you, and his shouts bring a few more guards and a number of bored orcs to watch you approach. No weapons get raised, but they're in hand, and Jack sees that the war drums have every Orc's blood running. Guards on the makeshift barricades shift back and forth, itching to release their fury. Jack feels little of it himself.

"Oy!" Shouts one of the Orcs. "This is Chief Throatrend's War Camp! Burner of cities, who killed a Purple Worm and drank its poison, who rides a demon bear and leaves suffering in his wake! Who the hell are you?"

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 21, 2018

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Shadow" Callahan

Jack steps forward and paces in the space between the two groups, “I am Wurgal Blood-drinker, Beast-slayer, Orc-Breaker, Death-Chanter. I speak for Silver-Tongue the Silent Dragon, Scourge of Elves, who burnt great Alvalishia and slew the Green Matron, who scoured the Red Sands of Valia and broke the Adamant Hold, he who shatters boulders with his fist and whose strength conquered the Veil of the World, who tore the wings of a Black Dragon and cracked the arm of a Giant!” Jack gestures back at Ryu, he couldn’t get the Orc-Voice right, but he could stand there and look imposing, and the leader never made these speeches on his own behalf anyway, “Many are his Deeds, many unheard by you Northern weaklings. For a hundred and more moons our horde has fought, Elves and Men, Dwarves and Dragonborn fell before us. We carry now Crowns of a Forgotten Age, Axes of Terrible Power, Cloaks of Living Flesh, The Defiled Armor of Paladins and more, trophies from our conquests. We are few now, the weak fell in battle. We are those who survived a thousand clashes, who laugh at armies, who slew Sorcerers and Kings. We have returned to this weak land of plenty, filled with the untested like yourselves. We heard the Orc Lord’s call in our blood. Now come, bring your leader, bring his greatest Blood Brothers, so they can lick the boots of their betters."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
A harsh mumble of voices is heard from the camp, and more and more orcs wander over to witness your entrance. Packed as tight as it is, a large crowd forms almost immediately. The Orcs stare in interest, clearly impressed by Penitent and Ryu's size and strength, as well as some of the stranger magic items you carry around.

The Orc that spoke previously scowls. Jack picks him out as a lieutenant of some sort, probably not that high in the pecking order around here.

"Bah! Never even heard of Alvalishia! I bet you knocked over some little halfling burrow, and lost the rest of your boys to the granny inside! Throatrend would not feed you to his beasts, for fear that your weakness would spread!"

But the orcs heard and understand the demand. A harsh voice from the back shouts, "War Duel!" and like a plague the shout spreads to the other orcs gathered watching, then the orcs further away hearing the chant. "War Duel! War Duel! War Duel!" It fills the air, drawing audiences from the other camps. They likely have their scouts and spies watching as well, in the Orc's endless jockeying for position.

Then the crowd begins to part, Orcs drifting apart in the wake of a particularly large specimen. He strides to the edge of the camp and regards you with barely concealed contempt.

Chief Throatrend is scarred with claw marks, his face a mish mash of torn skin and lines. He wears aged, layered leathers, but clearly not from a cow or deer. The skins are thick, and some protrude with natural spikes or scales. His mere presence brings a brief silence to the assembled orcs. He looks to his lieutenant and gestures with a nod. The lieutenant speaks once more.

"The great Throatrend doubts your strength! Where is your horde? Spilt blood will bring soldiers, that is the law of the orcs! Are you such mewling babes that you could not slay a few pink skinned guards in your journey from the south? Or perhaps you were crushed, and come slinking to the Orc Lord's call, hoping we would not notice your shame! Throatrend will not recognize a challenge from army-less weaklings! How can your paltry five compare to thousands?"

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Temur Arderne

Temur smiles, and wide. The smile of someone so pleased at what's before them it's off putting. "If y'wanna know," he growls out, orcish clearly well practiced for the hobgoblin "We'll gladly show ya."

pre:
Temur Arderne
HP: 220/220  THP: 0  Command Points:1 Moment of Glory:-  Recoveries: 9/9 (8d8+12)   Initiative: +9
AC 28     PD 23     MD 26
Sword +3(MBA): 1d20+16+ED; 9d8+15, 9 Miss
Verutum(RBA): 1d20+10+ED; 9d6+3

At Will			Encounter			Daily/Recharge
Rally Now: 1CP          [ ]Hold The Line                [ ]Tactician Daily
Save Now!: 1CP                                          [ ]Supreme Tactical Strike(16+)
Try Again: 2CP                                          [ ]Basic Tactical Strike(6+)
You Know What To Do!: 4CP                               [ ]Just Stay Calm(16+)
Fight From The Front					[ ]Buck Up(16+)
Weigh the Odds						[ ]Potion Belt(16+)
 							[ ]Reckless Sword(6+)
 							[ ]Advanced Tactical Strike(16+)
 							[ ]Tactician Champion Feat
							[ ]Helm of Psychic Retribution (16+)
Conditionals

Consumables
Champion Healing Potion

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Isaac Boreas

Isaac turns his head, as if listening to something unseen and unheard, then lets out a mad laugh. "When Wurgal said the weak ones fell in battle, who do you think spilled their guts? Humans? Haha! You even think like a weakling! The spirits call you a coward, Throatrend! No. They were too weak, not fit to heed the Orc Lord's call. We killed them all ourselves! Hahaha!"

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Ryu Kazama

Initially, Ryu has difficulty getting into "character". Isaac is always saying things like "you must be able to think like your enemy before you can defeat him", and it's true that the group's previous visit to Foras convinced Ryu long ago to learn a few of the more common monstrous languages. Yet even after Ryu manages to get the tusks to stay in his mouth without falling out every minute, he struggles with the mindset required to imitate an orc. Half-orcs are everywhere, of course; Drakkenhall in particular is host to a fair number of the rougher ones who can't or won't make the effort to fit into civilized society. But half-orcs are still people who can be reasoned with, cowed into surrender, or forced to flee. Many of the lower-ranking soldiers of the Masera Clan are half-orcs, and while they may be criminals, they are at least organized.

Orcs proper are stubborn, reckless, and bloodthirsty. As Jack says, they recognize strength alone. To them, life is a quest spent in the pursuit of power, and to die in service of that cause is the greatest honor one can achieve. Throatrend and his lieutenants will not be convinced by words.

As the group emerges from its hiding place, Ryu hefts a particularly large log with his left arm. Removing one of the spare tusks from his pocket, he surveys the war camp, considering the scene for a few moments. Then, as the mouthy second-in-command steps forward to reply to Isaac, Ryu hurls the tusk directly into the lieutenant's forehead, piercing his skull. Nearby orcs scramble and the other Dragon Slayers begin to assume battle positions, but Ryu motions his allies to be still as he strides towards Throatrend.

"No more words," Ryu proclaims in unaccented Orcish. He lets the words out slowly, teasing out every possible drop of menace from each syllable before moving to the next. "You are challenged, Throatrend. Paltry five we may be, but only a fool judges his opponent by numbers alone. If you do not accept your death and face me alone, you prove yourself craven as well. A war-band that blindly follows a craven fool is worth naught but the meat on their bones."

Gonna spend 4000 of that dragon hoard on 5 epic potions and runes; using one of the latter
Omae wa mou shindeiru: 1d20+5+9+5 31
Armor Rune: 1d10 3 +3 AC and MD; y'know, just in case for if when combat breaks out

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 13, 2021

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Captain Walker, I'm gonna limit you to 4 consumables until the next long rest, just as a sop to limiting your resources a little. I'm open to upping (or lowering :unsmigghh:) it.

Throatrend doesn't flinch as the fang pierces his lieutenant's skull, though the other Orcs around shout and mutter to each other. Throatrend glares at you momentarily before speaking himself in a throaty rumble.

"Very well, Silver-Tongue. A challenge! We shall duel in my personal fighting pit, where my pets slake their bloodthirst on the bodies of the unworthy!"

The Orcs let out a cry, which is answered from the nearby encampments. Jack reflects that the commotion will probably bring spies and eyes from the other powerful War Chiefs, in their own low cunning way. Most of their attentions will be on this "Silver Tongue" upstart, but you aren't hidden anymore.

The crude wooden gates open, and the chanting orcs surge in, though they still give you a wide berth. You walk through the smelly, haphazard camp towards a blood stained and bone strewn hole in the ground, slick with oil and topped with spikes to prevent escape. Rocks and earth are piled around to provide seating of a sort, already packed tight with Orcs waiting to see how this challenge would fare.

Throatrend is below, where one end of the pit is caged off by thick bars. Inside them you hear heavy breathing.

"Your challenge is accepted, stranger! I have chosen the location! What weapons shall I use to best you, and which of your lackeys will die alongside you!"

Okay, it's going to be a 2v2. Ryu has to fight, but he'll get one other person in the ring with him. The 2 left out will need to help surreptitiously or can use all the attention on the fight to do other things.
Minor complication, you have to choose the same type of weapon. Penitent can lend you an okay magical one if you don't have a spare.
If you go with Isaac, he just needs to carry it around and can still use his magic. The Orb doesn't count as a 'weapon', being a weakling sort of thing.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Ryu Kazama

"Weapons, you say?" Ryu considers the log on his left shoulder, then shrugs it off. "Are you not the commander here? The strongest? Leave steel to these lesser beings; your second may carry a blade, if he must. But I shall grant you this honor: your last sensation in this life shall be my hands rending your own throat."

Initiative/Power Stunt: 2d20k1+8 17 2#1d4 1 2

Ryu Kazama, Human Stalwart 9
HP: 220/220 Recoveries: 10/10 (9d10+12)
Greatness YES
AC 30 PD 24 MD 23
Initiative/Power Stunt 2d20k1+8; 2#1d4
Resist cold/fire/poison 16+

STR: 20|+5 CON: 18|+4 DEX: 08|-1
INT: 10|00 WIS: 15|+2 CHA: 13|+1
Weapon: 1d20+5+9+4+ED; 9d10+19
Unarmed: 1d20+5+9+ED; 9d8+15
Giant: 1d20+5+1+LVL+ED; 9d10+31

Limited Powers
[x] [ ] [ ] [ ] Runes, Potions, etc. (daily)
[ ] [ ] Power Stunt (ED 1,2)
[ ] Obnoxious Cursed Axe Damage (1/battle)
[ ] Divine Stamina (rchg 11+)
[ ] Armorbreaker (rchg 11+)
[ ] Swordbreaker (rchg 16+)
[ ] Dragon's Rend (rchg 16+)
[ ] Mountain Splitter (rchg 16+)
[ ] Gauntlets of Spell Deflection (rchg 16+)
[ ] Belt of Resurgence (rchg 16+)
[ ] Adamant Greaves (rchg 16+)
[ ] Chuulish Reflexes (rchg 11+, chuul)

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Throatrend takes in Ryu's demand, and an ugly grin crosses his face.
"Heh... Ha! Ha ha! No! My second will not need a blade either! I believe he will be just fine with this!"

He reaches towards the bars in the back and throws open the gates. From within, there is a horrible grunting noise and a hideous creature emerges. It is some sort of hellborn beast, with crude metal plates covering its body. It snaps at Throatrend, but the giant orc merely grabs it by a tusk and wrangles it towards you.

"My pet will tear the flesh from your bones, and I will be glad to join its feasting!"

Ryu and Temur drop their weapons, but before they hop down, Temur feels an armored gauntlet on his shoulder. He turns to see Penitent with a pair of bracelets in his hands.
"Take these." He mutters.
Temur's can't use his magic sword, but Penitent lends him a pair of brawler's bracelets. They're +3, but Temur needs to lower his damage dice to 1d6

Ryu and Temur drop down and raise their guards. The boar is saddled... but since Throatrend is unarmed, he won't have the reach to attack you from the beast's back. Small graces, at least.
Throatrend won't do as much damage as normal since he's unarmed

Jack and Isaac are given wide berths, but all eyes are focused on the fight below. But that beast below... Ryu and Temur are strong, but it might be worth giving them whatever help is possible.
Without getting caught, of course.

Temur readies his shield as the beast roars to the skies. Time to fight for your lives!

I rolled init for Temur, he rolled super high! Temur goes first!
Jack and Isaac's actions happen at the end of the round, though you can go ahead and post what you do in the meantime.

pre:
Throatrend	AC28 PD24 MD20	555/555 HP
	Engaged enemies have -5 to saves against Ongoing Damage
Beast	AC28 PD24 MD20	450/450 HP
	Immune to dazed, weakened, confused, stunned

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 18, 2018

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Temur Arderne

Temur scans the arena, taking in every detail, every possible thing to exploit and leverage against this orc and his pet hellspawn. There's not much immediately apparent, but he has his shield ready and eyes the beast, prepared to keep it off Ryu that he might trounce Throatrend properly.

Standard: Weigh the Odds
-Weigh The Odds: 1d4 1
Move: Prepare to intercept the Beast

pre:
Temur Arderne
HP: 220/220  THP: 0  Command Points:1 Moment of Glory:-  Recoveries: 9/9 (8d8+12)   Initiative: +9

Save Now!: 1CP                                          [ ]Supreme Tactical Strike(16+)
Try Again: 2CP                                          [ ]Basic Tactical Strike(6+)
 							[ ]Reckless Sword(6+)
Conditionals

Consumables
Champion Healing Potion

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Temur readies his shield and meets the beast's charge head on! But the creature's ferocity proves the mightier as Temur first gets knocked over, then driven into the ground by a following stomp! Temur rolls upright, but the cheers and jeers of Orcs fill the air as first blood quickly goes to Throatrend.

Beast engages Temur, attacks!
36 hits, 34 hits!
Temur takes 100 damage!

Throatrend smiles a toothy smile and turns to Ryu.
"Weak! Bah! I hope your more sport than your second appears to be!"

Isaac and Jack grimace. Things might end here if they don't get involved...

Ryu is up! Escalation is at 0
Also Jack and Isaac need to figure out what they're gonna do.

pre:
Beast		AC28 PD24 MD20	450/450 HP

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
pre:
Stats      1/Battle  Songs     Spells        Cries   
HP 180/180 [X]Heal    []Legends  []Discomb.   *20/16+esc5: recovery&3+3d6
AC 24      []Tracker [X]Heroes   []Befuddle   *Hit: save ; Even: move
PD 21      []Racial  []Blood    []Soundburst *Evenmiss: +2 atk ally
MD 22                []Victory               *11+: recovery

Bonus Spells                         
[]Transfer Enchantment
[]Ghoul Form
[]Hammer of Faith
[]Breath of the Blue

*Dancing Lights
*Cantrips: Prestidigitation, Mage Hand, Ghost Sound

Initiative 12+  Recoveries: 8/8 (8d8+6)				 	
Melee Attack: +16 vs AC; 9d8+14 damage
Spell Attack: +13 vs ??:
+3d8 damage against most dangerous opponent
Boots: +2 to disengage and fancy footwork

Items
[]Roll Recharge or Regain 1/Battle
[]Spend recovery to rage 
[]Roll save to not expend last divine spell
[]Recharge 16+ cancel MD attack effect
[]Recharge 5+ Wall Walk
Jack was hoping he wouldn’t have to intervene at all. He’d manufactured their list of accomplishments, but the Dragon Slayers had real epic deeds to match anything he could invent. Ideally, he could focus on manipulating the audience. All Orcs are touched by shadow, and seem to be receptive to its influence. They were rooting for the home team now, but a good show here and a push in the right direction, and these Orcs could be an asset. But, a gored friend is a gored friend. Jack grips a nearby orc and lets the Shadow drain him. Then he creeps it along the edge of the arena, until it just barely touches Temur. One dead orc, quickly trampled and lost in the surging crowd. One newly revitalized Dragon Slayer.

With that accomplished, Jack begins a low, rumbling song to match the war-drums. He can feel the nearby orcs unconsciously follow its rhythm. Soon, when the Dragon Slayers miraculous counter this attack, the more excitable Orcs will find themselves compelled to chant along.

Standard: Manipulate the Crowd Manipulate the Crowd: 1d20+8+4+5 26
Quick: Heal Temur Recovery: 8d8+12 41
Move to Quick: Song of Heroes (+1 attack bonus, +1 all saves)

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Ryu Kazama

Energized by its thorough trampling of Temur, the beast rears back and charges full-force at the hobgoblin to deliver the killing strike...and is stopped cold by a haymaker from Ryu, who has advanced into the creature's path. It rears back in frustration, and Ryu seizes the opportunity to slide underneath its belly and deliver a full-force uppercut that topples the monster. As the creature rolls ungracefully from its back to its side in an attempt to regain its footing, Ryu grabs it by one of its many horns. He slams it back and forth into the ground several times before the horn breaks off entirely; Ryu immediately thrusts it into the beast's back and finishes with a hammer blow to bury it deep. It doesn't take the enemy long to regain its balance and shake off the dust, but the bleeding tusk wound will take some time to heal, and more importantly, Ryu has proven that he is not to be underestimated. Time will tell how Throatrend and his band will react.

Move to engage the Ultima Breaker orcish warbeast
Catching Mice: 1d20+5+9 23 after adding the +1 from Jack's Song of Heroes, that just hits!
Dragon's Rend: 1d20+5+9+4+1 29 Hit+ natural even roll!!
Dragon's Rend Damage: 9d8+15+12 67 damage (1d3)*9 9 ongoing
Disengage: 1d20 7 Beast remains next to Ryu

Greatness NO
AC 30 PD 24 MD 23

Weapon: 1d20+5+9+4+ED; 9d10+19
Giant: 1d20+5+1+LVL+ED; 9d10+31

Limited Powers
[x] Dragon's Rend (rchg 16+)

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jun 30, 2018

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Isaac Boreas

Hrm, surely Ryu and Temur could dispatch one orc and his pet on their own, but if they were to defeat the Red they could not afford to waste their strength here. Perhaps it would be for the best if he provided some assistance after all.

Producing a curved dagger from his belt, Isaac edges closer to one of the distracted spectators. Sizing up his target, he channels his magic through the gleaming blade, coating its razor edge with a dark miasma, and moves in to make an incision where his blade would meet least resistance and inflict maximum damage, intending to siphon the victim's life energies and feed them to Temur.

At least, that was the plan.

Standard: Surgical Precision (Master's in Death + Dex): 1d20+5+1+9 Natural one! Ruh roh.
Quick: Deathknell (random orc): 4d8*2 Temur heals 34 HP?

pre:
Isaac Boreas
Stats		 Battle/At-will*	 Daily Spells			Items/Powers
HP 120/120 (+00) [*] Chant of Endings IX [ ] Summon Undead IX 		[ ] Belt of Heroic Resolve (11+)
AC 23		 [*] Deathknell IX	 [ ] Summon Wraith IX (16+)	[ ] Obsidian Orb
PD 21		 [ ] Death's Call VII	 [ ] Circle of Death IX   	[ ] Robe of Perseverance
MD 24					 [ ] Wave of Decay IX	  	[ ] Strider Symbiote (11+)
Re 8/8 (9d6-3)			 	 [ ] Finger of Death IX		[ ] Tome of Foresight (16+)
 + 1/1 (20)			 	 [ ] Ghoul Form VII   		[ ] Cackling Soliloquist
Spell mod +16				 [ ] Ghost Form VII
Initiative x2+10				 

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
The gathered orcs begin to chant, unconsciously, to the beat of Jack's War song. Their voices join the cry, and though they shout Throatrend's name, it is Ryu and Temur who feel the mysterious magic of the song. Their spirits are lifted despite the harsh attacks. and they rally.

Isaac, however, is less fortunate. His attempt to stab and drain the life of an Orc fails as the jostling crowd knocks off Isaac's aim. His target is merely scratched, not enough to drain his life energy, but enough to get his attention.
The Orc turns and grimaces at Isaac.
"Oy! Trying to watch the fight! What're you doing with that little pig sticker?"

That's a failure on the heal and extra scrutiny on you, Sockerbagarn

Down below, however, the Orc Warchief has joined the fray! He charges at Ryu with incredible ferocity, to the cheers of the assembled orcs! But Ryu notices the oncoming orc, and he easily sidesteps the two wild swings.
Or at least he thought he did. As he returns to his stance he feels the trickle of blood down his arms, and sees the red on Throatrend's hands. He has claws like razors! Even near misses are likely to bleed you!

Throatrend smiles madly.
"Hah! You're better than your weakling ally, but first blood is mine! I will drain you of blood and eat your heart!"

Throatrend engages Ryu
Claw attacks! 28 misses, 27 misses!
Ryu takes 20 ongoing bleed damage!
As long as you're engaged to Throatrend, you have -5 to saves against ongoing damage.

Temur pulls himself upright and considers his situation. The beast is covered in armor plates, and built like a Tarrasque. But it's only an animal, should its master be killed, it will revert to its instincts.

DM's hint: I buffed the beast's HP above what it should be, and Temur recognizes that Throatrend is the main target here. Jack and Isaac can try to contribute damage, if they're feeling lucky.
On the other hand Ryu might be planning a power stunt :v:

Temur is up! Escalation is at 1!

pre:
Beast		AC28 PD24 MD20	383/450 HP
	9 Ongoing

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Temur Arderne

Temur stares a dagger at Ryu as he punches the Beast in the face. "C'mon boss, lemme handle this lug! Get that git!" As the hobgoblin pulls himself to his feet, Throatrend arrives and leaves his marks of failing to hit up and down Ryu's arm. A dawning realization of what Ryu might do with his reckless strength hits Temur, who grits his teeth for a moment before shouting in orcish "HA! Smart boss, I getcha!" and with a rising shout Temur charges forward with his shield raised at Throatrend. The orc easily dodges out of the way, but Temur breaks the opposite direction, dropping his shield to his side and breaking into a full sprint, putting some space between himself and the scrum, before leaning on a knee and shouting with a confidant grin "Now don't blink ya gits! Ya might miss why the boss is THE BOSS!"

Forgotten Moment of Glory
-Moment of Glory: 1d4 1
Move: Disengage from the hellbeast
-Disengage: 1d20 13 Temur will once again intercept if the Beast attempts to engage Ryu.
Standard->Minor: Use Basic Tactical Strike on Ryu, giving him a Basic Attack with +4 To Hit and Damage
Minor: Use Supreme Tactical Strike on Ryu, giving him a standard action attack.

pre:
Temur Arderne
HP: 161/220  THP: 0  Command Points:1 Moment of Glory:1  Recoveries: 9/9 (8d8+12)   Initiative: +9

Save Now!: 1CP                                          [X]Supreme Tactical Strike(16+)
Try Again: 2CP                                          [X]Basic Tactical Strike(6+)
 							[ ]Reckless Sword(6+)
Conditionals

Consumables
Champion Healing Potion

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Ryu Kazama

Frustrated by the beast's seeming indifference to his assault, Ryu is almost goaded into attacking it again when Temur's shout and sudden maneuver remind him to focus on the more dangerous foe. Throatrend nimbly rolls away from Temur's charge, but as he pops up he fins himself face to face with Ryu, who sends the warchief back into the sand with a vicious headbutt. For good measure, Ryu kicks the orc while he's down.

Giant Strike: 1d20+5+1+10+1+1 27 between Jack's song and an additional +1 from Moment of Glory, that just hits
9d8+27 83 damage

Basic Attack: 1d20+5+9+1+1 30
9d8+15 51 damage

Greatness NO
AC 30 PD 24 MD 23

Weapon: 1d20+5+9+4+ED; 9d10+18
Giant: 1d20+5+1+LVL+ED; 9d10+27

Limited Powers

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Temur raises his shield, as the beast paces back and forth, preparing to charge forth and trample you underfoot. With a roar, echoed by the orcs around you, it charges again, straight at Temur! Temur is expertly prepared, braced against the impact, but all his grit isn't enough to prepare him for the bone shattering impact. Temur stays standing, but his arms and bones ache from the sheer strength of the impact.

Beast charges, Temur intercepts!
Attacks Temur, Miss, Nat 1!
Temur still takes 35 damage on the miss!
Saves against ongoing damage.

Throatrend rolls to his back, arms and legs up defensively. The sudden offensive has taken the gloating from his lips, but his vicious need to win still remains.

Escalation is at 1! Ryu is up!

pre:
Throatrend	AC28 PD24 MD20	421/555 HP
Beast		AC28 PD24 MD20	374/450 HP

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Ryu Kazama

As Ryu backs away from the beast to face Throatrend, he suddenly feels the familiar sting of the cursed axe; seems that it can detect a glancing blow even when sheathed. The sensation catches Ryu off-guard for a moment, giving the beast a chance to claw through the back of his shirt.

25 damage from lovely cursed axe, 50 damage from the OA I provoke from the beast by moving

Ryu's momentary wince soon turns into a grin. As he staggers towards Throatrend, he holds his own arms wide, seemingly in preparation for a might strike of his own. The opening is just large enough for a foe to slip into, and that's exactly what Ryu was counting on. The stalwart grabs the orc by the neck, flips him upside down, and slams Throatrend headfirst into the ground. The severity of the concussion will make it drat near impossible for Throatrend to land a serious hit, even if he gets past Ryu or Temur's defenses.

Power Stunt: Dragon Brain Buster: 1d20+5+1+11+1+1 32 9d10+24 83
In addition to the normal damage from the Giant Strike, Throatrend's own attacks deal half damage, and none on a miss (hard save ends)

Ryu takes 20 ongoing damage, and fails completely to save against it

HP: 125/220 Recoveries: 10/10 (9d10+12)
Greatness NO
AC 30 PD 24 MD 23

Limited Powers
[x] [ ] Power Stunt (ED 1,2)
[x] Obnoxious Cursed Axe Damage (1/battle)

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Shadow" Callahan

Jack is watching the fight with interest, but the crowd is more important. For all that Jack talked up Orc Warlords, that was in the aggregate. The Dragon Slayers would be no match outnumbered ten to one by Throatrends, and those were the kind of forces that heeded the Orc Lord's call. One on one, Ryu the Silver Dragon could beat any Orc short of their Lord. He was showing that now as he danced around the Orc's blows and stunned him with the power of his own.

The Orcs could see it too. In the main fight, Ryu was winning. Orcs were not a loyal bunch, they love a winner and hate a loser. "Almost..." Jack hissed under his breath. They were so close to the turning point. They just needed a little push. Jack draws on the Shadow, and his voice booms louder than any other, cutting deep into the Orc psyche. They'd already been twisted by another, made receptive to the Shadow's influence. They just needed to switch to another Shadow, like the others. "DRAGON DRAGON DRAGON!"

Cheer. You are loyal to us now, to me. You will fight for us.

The real fight is for the hearts and minds of the crowd.

Throatrend is losing.

Standard: Turn the Chant: 1d20+8+4+5 35
Quick: Sustain Song of Heroes: 1d20 11

forgot to roll this:Tracker Stunt: 1d6 2

pre:
AC 24      []Tracker [X]Heroes   []Befuddle   *Hit: save ; Even: move
PD 21      []Racial  []Blood    []Soundburst *Evenmiss: +2 atk ally

Bonus Spells                         
[]Transfer Enchantment
[]Ghoul Form
[]Hammer of Faith
[]Breath of the Blue

*Dancing Lights

Items
[]Spend recovery to rage 
[]Recharge 5+ Wall Walk

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
The Orc staring down Isaac's borrowed skull mask gets distracted, as a shout goes up from the crowd when Ryu slams Throatrend's face into the dirt. None of the orcs seem all that interested in paying attention to the strange, scrawny shaman, which Isaac might just use to his advantage.

Jack's cry is quickly taken up by other orcs, at first lost in the cacophony of shouting, but soon becoming a strong cheer in its own right. Brawling and fights break out among various orcs taking up different cheers, adding roars and screams of pain to the noise.

I'll give you +2 to your next action for doing nothing for a round, Sockerbagarn.
Jack gets his plan underway.

Throatrend pulls himself off the ground, and wavers as he tries to figure out which Ryu is the real one. For a moment he grimaces... but the strongest warchiefs don't become so off brute power alone. Ryu watches his opponent carefully as the Orc steps back, puts his hand to his mouth, and whistles.
Ryu is suddenly slammed from behind by the armor plated beast! Ryu tries to roll out of the way, but gets the full force of a claw that slams him into the dirt again!
Temur's attempt to bash his shield into the creature's neck is just turned aside by a horn. Throatrend staggers upright, but smile gleefully at Ryu on the ground.
"Hah! Hah! You will die here, weakling! No matter what tricks you try to pull!"

Throatrend commands the beast to charge Ryu!
Temur gets an OA, 27 just misses, 9 miss damage
Beast attacks Ryu! 36, 35 hits! Ryu takes 100 damage!
Fails his save.

Temur is up, Escalation is at 2!

pre:
Throatrend	AC28 PD24 MD20	338/555 HP
Beast		AC28 PD24 MD20	365/450 HP

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Temur Arderne

"Ha!" Temur barks, "Yer blinder than m'bad eye! Th' only 'trick' th' Boss has iz smashing whatever he wants whenever he wants!" He gestures to the stands, where the chants and howls rise over the sound of combat. "If they can see it, why can't you? No matter, th' Boss'll break ya soon enough, he always does! Ha ha ha!" and Temur begins to thump and chant along with Jack. "Dragon! Dragon! DRAGON!"

Before Start of Turn: Use Rally Now on Ryu
-Rally Now!: 9d10+24 73 Putting Ryu at 199 before the Beast's hit, 99 after.
Quick: Use Buck Up!
-Ryu gains 69 THP, and Jack and Isaac also gain THP if it comes up.
Standard: Weigh the Odds
-Weigh The Odds: 1d4 4
After Turn End: Use You Know What To Do on Ryu
-Ryu gains an extra Standard Action on his turn.
Temur standby to Intercept the Beast.

pre:
Temur Arderne
HP: 126/220  THP: 0  Command Points:4 Moment of Glory:-  Recoveries: 9/9 (8d8+12)   Initiative: +9

Save Now!: 1CP                                          [X]Supreme Tactical Strike(16+)
Try Again: 2CP                                          [X]Basic Tactical Strike(6+)
Fight From The Front					[X]Buck Up(16+)
 							[ ]Reckless Sword(6+)
Conditionals

Consumables
Champion Healing Potion

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Temur's commands rally Ryu, and his shouts join the growing chant of the crowd! But he's still among the blooded sands, and Throatrend's pet is still present. Temur tries his best to prepare for the attack, but the beast's crushing blows send him flying, dazed and bloodied.

Rolls a d6, 6, no enrage this turn :devil:
Beast attacks, gets intercepted by Temur
32 and 29 vs AC hit, 100 damage to Temur!

It's looking grim for the competing Dragon Slayers... but the orcs around the pit have taken on a strange aura. Jack's primal drumbeat has winnowed its way throughout the assembled orcs. And among the orcs, the only honor is in victory. Isaac gets bumped to and fro as the audience presses in to the arena, quite nearly at a frenzy. Fights add to the cacaphony at the edges of Jack's influence, but if Ryu and Temur are going to make it out of this...

To think I got busy right before your plan. Sorry folks, should be able to get back into a groove.
Ryu, Jack, and Isaac are up! Escalation is at 2!

pre:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Ryu Kazama

Throatrend's command of tactics is to be commended; his overgrown pet is basically impervious to anything Ryu can hit it with, and without Temur's assistance Ryu would be getting cut to ribbons right now. But Ryu has always had one great advantage against assholes who fight dirty: whatever doesn't kill him literally makes him stronger. As a Masera soldier, he would have died rather than disappoint the clan; once he bonded with Kohryu, the Silver Wyrm's always exhorted him to keep getting back up. Now, with the full might of the Geas behind him, the soul of Drakkenhall resides within Ryu. Every moment he spends in the bloody dirt, another voice joins the chorus in his head; from many miles away, the people of Drakkenhall cheer for him. Or it could be a serious concussion, but that's a problem to be solved after the enemy lies dead.

It seems like forever before Ryu staggers to his feet, and Throatrend, himself still a bit woozy, slowly moves in for a coup de grace. As he approaches, Ryu suddenly springs forward into a charge, closing the distance between them in less than a second. Throatrend can only gape as Ryu launches a flying headbutt that sends both of them into the sand. The two jockey for position briefly, but Ryu is invigorated both by Temur's tactical guidance and his own power, and quickly gains the advantage as he kneels on the orc's chest.

As the warchief struggles under his assailant's iron grasp, Ryu leans in close. "Don't say I didn't tell you exactly how this would end," Ryu hisses in Orcish. It's unclear if Throatrend can even understand his native language at this point, but just the sound of Ryu's voice is enough to cause the warchief's resolve to briefly falter, and Ryu wastes no time in driving a fist into his face, before moving his grasp down to the orc's neck...

Interrupt after Beast's second attack: Divine Stamina: 9d10+12 48
Standard Action Power Stunt: Essence of Steadfast Counter
Attack vs PD, inflicts weaken and prone: 1d20+5+9+2+1 26 HIT
Steadfast Counter Damage: 9d8+15 59 damage
Throatrend has a -4 penalty to attacks and defenses (normal save ends), and loses his next move action
Quick action: Catching Mice: 1d20+5+9+2+1 30
Throatrend is grabbed; he can't make ranged attacks and has -5 to disengage unless he hits Ryu first. Ryu has +4 to hit Throatrend.
He's exactly 2 points away from being staggered, so...
Bonus Standard Action (courtesy of Temur)
: Giant Strike: 1d20+5+9+11+2 42 9d8+15+12 76 damage
On top of all that, remember that Throatrend's attacks still deal half damage/no miss damage
Ryu takes his 20 ongoing damage; fails his save.

HP: 148+49/220 Recoveries: 8/10 (9d10+12)
Greatness YES
AC 30 PD 24 MD 23

Limited Powers
[x] [x] Power Stunt (ED 1,2)

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 26, 2018

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Shadow" Callahan

"It's time." With Ryu's devastating blow, it's clear who the stronger fighter is. The Orcs roar with excitement and Jack draws his blades, cutting down the closest loyalist. With first blood spilled the orcs reach a true frenzy. Jack's voice pierces through the crowd twisting their addled minds, "DRAGON IS THE VICTOR! PUT DOWN HIS PET, KILL THE BLIND AND THE WEAK! DRAGON! DRAGON! DRAGON!"

With that, Jack leaps over the walls, into the arena, a horde of orcs behind him. The loyalists follow, trying to stop this madness and defend their leader. Within seconds, the arena is filled with rampaging orcs!

Jack screams a song of primal rage and violence. This was never about Throatrend. This was about his horde. The horde would get them to the Orc Lord. Now they just needed to kill its less malleable members.

Tracker Stunt: Jack turns this blood sport into an all orc battle royale!
Free: I let song of Heroes expire and gives Ryu + 2 to his next attack!
Quick: Song of Blood and Legends! Each ally that hits this turn can heal with a recovery!
Standard: Soundburst!
Targets: 1d4 3
Attack Throatrend: 1d20+13 14 vs. PD
Attack Beast: 1d20+13 18 vs. PD
Attack Opposing Horde: 1d20+13 23 vs. PD
Jeez Damage: 2d6 8 80 / 2 = 40 Damage

pre:
AC 24      [X]Tracker [X]Heroes   []Befuddle   *Hit: save ; Even: move
PD 21      []Racial  []Blood    [X]Soundburst *Evenmiss: +2 atk ally

Bonus Spells                         
[]Transfer Enchantment
[]Ghoul Form
[]Hammer of Faith
[]Breath of the Blue

*Dancing Lights

Items
[]Spend recovery to rage 
[]Recharge 5+ Wall Walk

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Isaac Boreas

Isaac barely manages to remain standing as the orcs surge around him, finding much to his frustration that they're paying no mind to the menacing glares he's giving them through his skull mask. "Fine!" he snarls through gritted teeth as he gets an elbow to the back of his head. "I'll show you the blood you so crave!" A dark miasma gathers around him as he starts to draw on his arcane power. He claws with his hands back and forth as he weaves the negative energy into a potent spell and unleashes it in a ring around him, causing those struck to recoil in pain and start bleeding profusely from their eyes. Maybe that'll teach them to respect his personal space...

Quick: Death's Call: Targeting some orc mook near me.
Standard: Chant of Endings vs Opposing Horde: 1d20+18+2 30 vs MD 8d10+18 53 Negative Energy Damage.
Death's Call (Temur Heals): 9d8+12 Assuming I killed my target, Temur can spend a recovery to Heal 54 HP.

pre:
Isaac Boreas
HP 120/120 (+00) [*] Chant of Endings IX [ ] Summon Undead IX 		[ ] Belt of Heroic Resolve (11+)
PD 21		 [X] Death's Call VII	 [ ] Circle of Death IX   	[ ] Robe of Perseverance
MD 24		 [ ] Life Drain	 [ ] Wave of Decay IX	  	[ ] Strider Symbiote (11+)
Spell mod +18				 [ ] Ghost Form VII
Initiative x2+10				 

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Orcs swarm into the pit, trampling each other underfoot and swinging whatever comes to hand! Jack leaps down, and Isaac is very nearly dragged with the crowd as the arena and the camp devolves into a brawl. Dark orc blood soon covers every surface, and the mad maelstrom makes it nearly impossible to tell who is loyal and who is under the Dragon Slayer's sway... But Jack and Temur think they've got the advantage, if only from the bellowing.

It's a party on the blood sands! I'll be running this as a mass combat plus some enemy mooks. Pegging it at 2 to 1 in your favor right now.

If Ryu is heartened by the aid, he doesn't have long to enjoy it. Throatrend twists in Ryu's grasp, driving his claws towards Ryu's side. Ryu is forced to let go and roll with the slash, but thanks to Temur's bellowing support Ryu barely feels it... save for the continued trickle of blood.
Both combatants stumble to their feet, fists raised. But Throatrend sneers as he sees how his horde has been subverted.
"Weaklings and traitors. ORCS ALWAYS WIN! ORCS! WIN! ORCS!"

Throatrend attempts a roundhouse... 33 vs AC hits! Ryu takes 58 damage, and the ongoing damage goes up to 30!
Throatrend is no longer grabbed.
He fails to save against the weakened, fails the save against the Half Damage.

His cry is taken up, as shouts for the Dragon are joined by cries of "Orc! Orc!" around you. In the swirling mob would be fighters pick out the strange interlopers and rush you with their crude weapons. Ryu takes the worst as the most loyal orcs rush to their warchief's side, but none of you will be left unscathed by this maelstrom of violence.

Orcs swarm you!
2 hits vs Ryu, 1 hit vs Jack (and a nat 1), 1 hit vs Isaac, no hits vs Temur
15 damage per hit.

Indeed, Throatrend's shouts are beginning halt the turn of battle! Jack's subtle song has begun to be overpowered, and as the orcs turned are slain or remember their original loyalty, it's becoming harder to hear the shouts for the Silver-Tongue.

Mass combat! Your side, 3,4. Their side, 6!
Reducing your side by one dice!

Things stand on a razor's edge... but you can still finish this. If Throatrend falls, his horde will follow.

Escalation is at 3! Temur is up!

pre:
Orcs		AC25 PD23 MD19	167/300 HP

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Temur Arderne

As the battle is joined by every orc Temur's eye still scans the battlefield, taking in every movement and action of everyone on it. He reaches out, pulling in one of the orcs chanting dragon and shoves him towards another, barking "That one ya git!" The orc takes the advice, charging into the side of another, knocking him into the side of Throatrend, leaving him open to an attack from Ryu, who swiftly capitalizes on the moment.

Minor: Use Advanced Tactical Strike on Ryu
-Advanced Tactical Strike vs AC (@Throatrend): 1d20+5+9+4+3 39 9d10+18 64
Standard: Use Weigh the Odds
-Weigh The Odds: 1d4 2

pre:
Temur Arderne
HP: 180/220  THP: 0  Command Points:2 Moment of Glory:-  Recoveries: 8/9 (9d8+12)   Initiative: +9

Fight From The Front					[X]Buck Up(16+)
 							[ ]Reckless Sword(6+)
 							[X]Advanced Tactical Strike(16+)
Conditionals

Consumables
Champion Healing Potion

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Blood and death taints the air, and Temur readies his shield as the hideous Beast under Throatrend's control starts to breathe in fits and starts. The strange glow underneath its crude armor begins to get brighter, and then the beast rears up and unleashes an ear-shattering roar! It's eyes glow red and it seems to glow from within with some sort of hellish strength!

Temur is bowled over, but the hobgoblin gets a good slash in as he falls. Isaac feels the rumble of its footfalls just in time to be bashed into the air and sent into the bloody sands again. Only Jack realizes the incoming attack, but even then his well timed roll only blunts the force of the charge.
You're not the only ones bowled over by this rampage. Orcs on both sides are trampled underfoot, though not enough to quite swing the larger battle either way.

Beast rolls a d6, gets a 3! Beast has entered a rampage and takes half damage from OAs!
Attack vs Temur, 36 hits, 50 damage! Beast gets a free move and engages Isaac!
24 hits Isaac, 50 damage! Beast gets a free move and engages Jack!
21 vs AC misses Jack, 37 damage anyway!
Beast takes OAs, takes... 32 damage
The Beast's rampage does 50 damage to the enemy orcs.

The rage seems almost uncontrollable! Throatrend struggles with Ryu, but smiles through bloodied and cut lips.
"Hah! Hahahahahaha! Demonbreed, only tameable with strength! It will eat you while you scream to your worthless Gods!"

Escalation is at 3! Jack, Isaac, and Ryu are up!

pre:
Throatrend	AC28 PD24 MD20	99/555 HP
Beast		AC28 PD24 MD20	293/450 HP
Orcs		AC25 PD23 MD19	117/300 HP

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Ryu Kazama

If Ryu is impressed by Throatrend's bluster, choosing to crack the Warchief's armor with a well placed heel strike.

Armorbreaker? Greatness spent.
27 vs PD hits, even roll. 67 damage and Dazed.

HP: 108/220 Recoveries: 8/10 (9d10+12)
Greatness NO
AC 30 PD 24 MD 23

Limited Powers
[x] [x] Power Stunt (ED 1,2)
[x] Armorbreaker (rchg 11+)

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Isaac Boreas

"Nngh," Isaac groans in pain. It was well past the time to end this nonsense, he thinks to himself as he picks himself off the ground, catching the wind that got knocked out of him as he got sent flying into the sand by the brutish demonbreed. He reaches out to Pyrrhus through their link. "There is no need for you to hide your presence any longer," he says. "Come! Strike them down!"

"Heh, thought you'd never ask," Pyrrhus replies.

Isaac staggers to his feet and watches Ryu beat Throatrend to an inch of his life. The sight makes him grin wickedly. "Yes indeed, your beast is quite tame, Throatrend!" he shouts as he lifts his arms to the sky, facing the dark shape moving in the clouds above. "Let me to introduce you to ours!"

Like a ruby meteor suddenly piercing the overcast sky, the red dragon Pyrrhus--his form restored to his former glory--comes crashing down leaving a trail of fire in his wake, and as he impacts he slams into Throatrend and knocks him into the ground, hard. Before the orc is able to recover his footing he lowers his neck and firmly seizes him between his jaws. Bearing down with his fangs, he crunches down on the body, then shakes him back and forth before tossing him back in the sand.

"DRAGON!" Pyrrhus roars and casts his head back, breathing fire up into the air. Meanwhile, Isaac reaches out with his hand in Throatrend's direction and clutches it tightly as he grabs a metaphysical hold on the last remaining remnants of the Orc Warlord's life. He yanks it towards himself and can feel it snap just as the light in Throatrend's eyes is snuffed out.

Pyrrhus flies down to engage Throatrend.
Pyrrhus vs Throatrend: 1d20+15+3 28 vs AC, just hits! 8d6 21 Damage.
Quick: Deathknell Throatrend: 4d8*2 Isaac heals 38 HP.

pre:
Isaac Boreas
HP 93/120 (+00)  [*] Chant of Endings IX [ ] Summon Undead IX 		[ ] Belt of Heroic Resolve (11+)
PD 21		 [X] Death's Call VII	 [ ] Circle of Death IX   	[ ] Robe of Perseverance
MD 24		 [ ] Life Drain		 [ ] Wave of Decay IX	  	[ ] Strider Symbiote (11+)
Spell mod +18				 [ ] Ghost Form VII
Initiative x2+10				 
pre:
Pyrrhus
HP 144/144 AC 26 PD 24 MD 20
Claws and bite +15 vs. AC — 8d6 Damage
[ ] Pack Link	[ ] Blood is Strong	[ ] Magic Fang
[ ] Vitality	[ ] Spirit Guardian	[ ] Armor of Shell & Spirit
([ ] Fiery Breath +15 vs. PD (1d3 targets) — 8d4 Fire Damage)
([ ] Dragonbone Armor (6+) — Prevent 25 damage from an attack)
Recoveries 9d8+6

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Throatrend's babble is cut short, first by the flames of the undead dragon, and finished forever by Isaac's spell.
The violence suddenly stops, as if by some kind of spell. The Orcs look on, confused and uncertain. An undead dragon, their warchief dead... But this was hardly how the duel was supposed to go. Would the accept new strength, or turn on you for not being one of them?

The beast pauses as well, though it seems more interested in Throatrend's swiftly cooling corpse. What passes for thoughts behind its glowing, bloodshot eyes is a mystery for you.
Without a check, anyway

All eyes are on the center of the arena.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Ryu Kazama

Battered, bruised, and somewhat irritated at Pyrrhus stealing his thunder, Ryu rises from atop Throatrend's body. By now, what remains of his disguise is likely singed to pieces, and so he speaks in plain Common: "Let this be a lesson to you all.

"Honor and glory and the orcish way are fine and well, but there are many who do not respect those values, or any values save one: power. Not the noble strength of steel against flesh, but terrible, ungodly magic that conquers the mind and rends the soul. A great foe with just such power lies on the horizon, and merely sharpening your blades will only ensure that you will cut each other down more efficiently at her command.

"We have no interest in claiming more lives here than necessary. You are free to leave, or to follow as we conduct our business and depart, or to run and inform the Orc Lord that he would be most unwise to attack the Empire now, for the White will entomb his army in the ruins of the civilization he so despises. But no one will deter us from our goal, and you have witnessed yourself what becomes of those who try."

Recharge 11, 16: 1d20t11 1 1d20t16 1
Recovery: 9d10+12 54
taking another average recovery to get back to full

HP: 108/220 Recoveries: 6/10 (9d10+12)
Greatness NO
AC 30 PD 24 MD 23

Limited Powers

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
The Orcs stare at Ryu, who's grease paint has indeed sloughed off, and who's fake tusks were lost quite some time ago. If any orcs remained of any strength to rally them, this might be an ugly situation for you, the interlopers... But you just killed them all.

Slowly, in confused masses, the assembled orcs wander or run off in different directions. Perhaps some are already planning to rise in the ranks with the recent death of a strong warchief... but none are willing to bother you right now.
Which isn't to say you can't press gang a few, if you so wish

But this huge camp has far too many to control. The Orc Lord is going to know you're here, and may already know. Jack knows if you stay here you will have the entirety of the army coming down on you soon.

Throatrend's beast has retreated back to its cage, dragging a few dead orcs with it.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Shadow" Callahan

Jack sighs, "well, that worked out until you let them know we're coming. We can still turn this to an advantage but we need to move fast. If the Orc Lord thinks opposition is coming he'll hasten the ritual, and that means he'll get sloppy. We use these Orcs as cover to get in close, and attack when the ritual begins."

He gestures towards the cage of the sulking monster. "The beast respects only strength and you killed its master. Do you think you can convince it to fight for us? A rampaging monster might be just the chaos we need to reach the Orc Lord.

Jack will press-gang the orcs he's already mind controlled. We'll want to use them as cover to get closer to the ritual.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
From the top of the orcish ramparts you can see into the War camp of the Orc Lord. It's an impressive sight. Haphazard, but with the accretion of spoils and the brutal cunning of war. The orcs there are no mere grunts. Each one is a battle scarred veteran that could lead their own bands of marauders, except to do so would mean leaving the circle of the Orc Lord, who has never been defeated in combat. To march at the Orc Lord's side is to breath blood and victory. The huts and ramparts are plate metal on gnarled wood, and every surface is covered in spoils and trophies of war.

And over it all the drums of Orcish rituals fill the air. Ritual combats and sacrifices will have filled the day, but no doubt the final moments will see the most death.

The sun has dropped in the sky, and soon the sun will set. Tonight is a full moon... a perfect time for a dark ritual. The confused mass of orcs spreading out from this War camp will be perfect cover...

Ask questions if you have any. What next?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Ryu Kazama

Ryu merely shrugs at Jack's disapproval. "It got them out of the way, didn't it? The guys you didn't mind-bend, that is.

"The real question is what this ritual is actually doing. If old One-Eye--" He pauses, briefly glancing at Isaac's orb. "Not you, sorry. If Tall, Green and Ugly is trying to keep the White at bay that'd be just fine. But I'm guessing you know the guy better than me, Jack, and I get the feeling whatever witchery he's cooking up is gonna be bad news.

"Speaking of which, as tempting as it is I actually want to avoid the Orc Lord if possible. I'll admit it: my arms are too short to box with an Icon. But we need to disrupt that ritual, and even if--even when we have your daughter safe, he'll just find some other poor sap to sacrifice. Isaac, tell me you can figure out what that ritual does, or at least how to stop it."

The stalwart approaches the cage slowly. "For your part, you served Throatrend loyally to his last." He speaks with as soothing a voice as the guttural sounds of Orcish will allow. "Will you lend us your strength?"

Beast Speech (Wis): 1d20+9+2+3 16 welp, time for Plan B. I don't like this one because it's very extremely subject to GM Approval

As Ryu approaches the beast with palm outstretched, it seems momentarily calmed...until the moment the beast can reach him with its claws. Rearing back, the monster slashes at Ryu with its claws. Rather than dodge the attack, Ryu whips the cursed axe from behind him and smashes it across the demonbreed's impervious hide. The already damaged weapon comes apart entirely in a great blast of pure force, tearing the creature apart and searing Ryu's arms and chest.

Assuming the previous roll failed, spending an Emperor 5. I want to get rid of both this lovely axe and the demon beast. I would accept a cost of several recoveries and/or a penalty to all defenses for the next battle

HP: 220/220 Recoveries: 6/10 (9d10+12)
Greatness NO
AC 30 PD 24 MD 23

Limited Powers

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Shadow" Callahan

“I can see what you mean. In a perfect world, the Orc Lord would be a speedbump. His Horde could weaken but never defeat the White and its draconic slaves. There’s something to that. The Orc Lord has never been defeated and would not submit to the White. I doubt the White would accept any being, much less and Orc, as its equal. But the Orc Lord has always favored attack for defense, and he’s been working as hard as us to get ready. I have an inkling of his plan, and it won’t be good. Remember that alliance between the Orcs and Green Dragons? With this ritual, the Orc Lord will have enough power to attack the Elf Queen. He will kill her and corrupt the World Tree and the Green. With his own army of Orc-Dragons and the World Tree as his seat of power, the Orc Lord might be a match for the White. From there it gets a bit blurry. Maybe he turns on the Empire or the Lich King first to get that extra bit of Iconic power. Maybe he negotiates from a position of strength and we have a new Orc-Dragon world order. Maybe they fight it out from there and we have to deal with whatever world-ending threat is most deadly. A world of ash ruled by a warlord is no better than one ruled by an undead dragon. Best to end the threat here, while we can.

I don’t fancy my chances with an Icon either, but this ritual is our shot. We shouldn’t just disrupt it, we need to kill the Orc Lord. He’s weakened at the climax, it’s how I took his eye and one of his shadows. At the last moment we snatch away the sacrifice and attack. The creature he’s calling should break free, may even turn on him. Even if he’s weakened, he’ll still have body guards. We’ll need to take them out, distract them, or mind-trick them before the ritual peaks.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
The beast hammers and finally shatters the cursed Axe that has been hounding Ryu since he picked it up in a Black Fang Lodge. The hell-tested claws tear apart the magical energies, but not without price. As the axe is destroyed, it takes some of Ryu's spirit with it...

But it works! The Beast relents and postures low, cowed by the show of strength. But Ryu recognizes it as a tenuous bond... and Throatrend's vicious method obviously left its marks.

The Orc Lord's camp remains! Sneak, distract, storm, what next?