Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

The gnome at the door does not look healthy. His skin has a white, bloodless pallor, and his pupils glow dimly with a reddish light. But he smiles amiably enough, and introduces himself.

"Willi Winto, renowned bard and close personal friend of the Lich King, at your service!" Willi holds out his hand, then considers. "People usually react badly when i start off with that. So let me just add that I'm a hero! Ask anybody!"

"I'm here about the ad. You're the Dragon Slayers? You slay dragons? I could get on board with that. Bunch of destructive, lying monstrosities, if you ask me. And I'm looking for a way to really boost my appeal, you know, show everybody once and for all that just because you're an" -Willi makes air-quotes- "'unholy abomination,' doesn't mean you're a bad guy."

"Don't worry, I can pull my weight! I fight just fine with this sword, and do magic, of both the bardy and wizardy varieties. And there's this book, too." He holds it up. It is a beautiful book, covered in colorful, intricate designs, though many are ruined by the mark of the Lich King scratched in the cover. "You won't find a better source of forgotten tales, not in all the lands! I used to call it my Book of Stories, and it's still that, but nowadays it's called the Book of Lich's Lore. He told me most of what's in there, after all."

"Well now, that's about it for my pitch. I do all sorts of things, and with me, you might get help from" -he indicates the mark on his Book- "an unexpected quarter. And hey, think about it- who's the most successful dragonslayer in history?"

Icon Dice (Lich King+, Three-, Three-, Emperor+-): 5, 2, 3, 2

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

Willi wraps his arms protectively around the book. "Whoa, there! I can see you're an enthusiast of the necromantic arts, but if I let you just flip through my Book, how could my tales delight and astound you? A bard has to have his secrets. As for 'Pakhal,' I have no idea who that is. Like I said, I'm here about the job! Heroic quests, monster slaying, that sort of thing. You did put out an ad, you know; I should think you'd be expecting a few adventuring sorts to turn up.

"I'll tell you what, though: since you're so interested in my Book, let's make a deal! I'll tell you a tale about the Lich King- one of my favorites, and one that I think you'll find quite fascinating- if you introduce me to your companion here." He waves at the skeletal wolf. "I don't believe this is any ordinary undead servant. Am I wrong?"

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 8, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Given mcp mentions it has 'silver' scales, I'm pretty sure it's a silver dragon, yeah. Also its way too polite to be chromatic

Willi Winto

Willi looked at the dragon in amazement. "Whoa! Interesting day you fellows are having, eh? Or I suppose us fellows, now."

Still, he wasn't going to let anything get in the way of proper introductions. He turned away and went to wring the hands of the Dragon Slayers who, having entered and seen a peaky gnome and a dragon in the foyer, were understandably focusing on the dragon. "Charmed, charmed! I'm Willi Winto, bard, hero, good friend of the lich king, et cedera, et cedera. And prospective Dragon Slayer, now! Looking forward to working with you!"

pre:
Willi Winto, Gnome Bard 3

Stats	                 Battle Cries		Songs/Spells/Etc
HP 45/45	         Hang Tough!            [ ] Song of Heroes (Recharge 11+)
AC      17	         Pull It Together!	[ ] Vicious Mockery (Recharge 11+)
PD	15	         It's All Yours!	[ ] Confounding (OPB)
MD	15	                                [ ] Song of Aid (Daily)
Recoveries 8/8 (3d8+2)                          [ ] Soundburst (Daily)
Melee: 1d20+6; 3d8+3                            [ ] Sleep (Daily)
Ranged: 1d20+6; 3d6+3                           [ ] Book of Lich's Lore (Item, Recharge 16+)
Spell To-Hit: 1d20+7

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 10, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

Willi sidled up next to Ryu. "Outstanding shirt rip! You really sold it. The only thing I could recommend is that you learn to just flex the shirt off, that way you get a double whammy with that nice tattoo. Not an easy thing to pull off, but I used to know a barbarian who could do it. He only wore shirts to explode 'em, as far as I could tell."

He glanced at the dragon. "Oh, sorry madam, don't mean to intrude. I just have an interest in theatrics, being a bard. And for what it's worth, if you're looking to have a servant of the Black killed, Willi Winto's your gnome!"

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

Willi smiled reassuringly- or rather, continued smiling. "My lady of silver, you need not even say it! You can count on my discretion, and I'm sure my new companions will say the same. Although-" He said, turning and regarding the party, "We're all rather distinctive, aren't we? And I'm sure you all have earned quite a bit of fame already! I don't think the dragon would suspect me- I'm new, after all, and the great bard Willi Winto turning up at such an event will hardly raise eyebrows- but I think Ryu and Moju, at least, should go in disguise."

"Or at the very least... Ryu, refrain from tearing your shirt off while we're there." Standing on tiptoe, he patted Ryu's shoulder in commiseration. "We all must make sacrifices."

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 13, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

Willi traveled light as was his custom, merely taking his Book, sword, flute, and a small pack. On the way to the dock, he stopped and bought some enchanted oil for his weapon. (-100 gold from party stash, one +1 magic oil in my inventory)

------

Willi was quite at home on board ship, having taken many long sea journeys over the course of his bardic career. Besides, he hadn't noticed any sensation akin to seasickness since... well, since he had had a pulse. Being undead was pretty great.

To pass the time, he opened his Book, and regaled sailors and party members alike with a tale of an age long past.

quote:

Did you know, my friends, that when the first Orc Lord killed the Wizard King, he took his head? It's true! That cursed creature, borne of the elves' treachery and commanding a host of thousands of bestial degenerates, defeated the armies of the King and cast him down from his rightful throne, taking his skull as a trophy. Yet now the Wizard King is returned, and let me tell you from experience, he has a head! Its right there on his neck, and the great ruby in his right eye socket shines most enchantingly, oh yes! But how did he get his head back? Well, he told me, and now, i'll tell you. It is a most interesting story.

The Wizard King- now the Lich KIng- was alone, bodiless, existing only in spirit. For all intents and purposes, he was dead. Yet, he did not fade. His will was strong, my friends, so strong that he endured in the world even lacking a material anchor to hold him there. Bound by no spells of calling, only his great resolve, he wandered the world, seeking what he had lost. As he did so, he saw the anarchy and ruin that had come with his fall, and despaired. He saw the devastation the Orc Lord and his minions wrought. How, he thought, could his subjects have been so foolish as to create such a creature? He knew that, for the good of the world, the monster had to be destroyed. Not even the cowardly traitors that had betrayed him deserved such as fate as the Orc Lord would give them.

Yet how to do it? There was but only one way- magic. In the time of disaster and strife, few still remembered the Wizard King, but there was one, a great wizard, who had learned the Lore, and at these vestiges of memory and knowing the King's shade could grasp. He did so sorrowfully, you understand, taking the wizard's mind and form only to bring about the Orc Lord's ruin. As he came once again into life he felt his great powers of the arcane filling him. He wove a great spell, the greatest of the time, a mighty ritual of blood and lightning- and the Orc Lord was called there, and by unparalleled magic, dispatched.

The world had been saved. Yet, the King saw that it was still full of traitors. If he rose again to claim his throne, they would cast him down again- and against their combined might, even he could not hope to endure. He knew that he would have to wait for an age when the world was ready to once again accept its rightful ruler. Taking his skull from the still-smoldering corpse of the Orc Lord, he bound to it a great red gem, a fitting vessel his his soul, and so became immortal, ready to watch over this world in eternal undeath. For thousands upon thousands of years, throughout all the thirteen ages, he has watched, and guarded. And now, gods willing, his time will come again! Take heart, my friends!

Willi smiled beatifically as he finished his story. The sailors seemed less thrilled, but he had come to expect that. Such tales of truth and valor were not for the faint-hearted, after all.

--------

Seeing the rest of the party indecisive about their group's assumed name, Willi decided to take the initiative- he had a great idea! He stepped forward. "My friend, you have the honor of addressing The Might of Necropolis! We shall bring victory in this tournament for New Port, and for the True King!" He pumped his fist enthusiastically.

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 14, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

"Well actually, it's impossible for me to get drunk, because my circulatory system doesn't work anymore. Also, what gravekeeper?"

"Nice name though, I like it!" he shouted, over the shoulders of the party members pushing him rapidly away from the registration desk. "Not as good as mine but if that's what you want that's fine!"

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 14, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

"Yeah, and c'mon. If Selentir is an entrant, as seems likely, do you really think the team with the black dragon isn't going to make it to the finals? If we can't find any solid evidence before then, then whomever we're facing seems a good bet.

Unless of course we eliminate his team before then, but eh.

As for me, I'm going out to spread the word of my good friend for a while. But hey, I meet anyone suspicious while I'm doing that, I'll be sure to say!"

Keep an eye out (wis) 5 Book Reroll 16

I assume you get back recharge stuff when you take a long rest so I'll be able to use this tomorrow alsooh woop nope has this explained

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 16, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

"I'm not usually inclined to speaking ill of people, but I'd have to agree, those paladin types are no fun at all. And so intolerant! Let me tell you, this is far from the first time they've gotten on my case." Willi sticks out his hand. "Willi Winto, renowned bard, at your service. And who might you be?"

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 16, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Ahahahahahaha :v:

I'm going to see what sort of leads I can track down in the slammer before I execute my plan to talk my way out. everything's under control-ish

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

You always meet the most interesting people in jails, Willi thought. The man's lisp was fascinating, and what's more, he'd mentioned dragons, even if only to deny his involvement. A lead??

Willi approached him, lowering his voice so the guards couldn't hear. "Hello there! I'm Willi Winto, bard, hero, adventurer, et cedera. Pleased to meet you! Now, I don't wish to get you in any more trouble, but my new friend here" -Willi gestures at Parvis- "suggested that you were the man who sold him the ah, substance he partook of. On the cheap, no less! I'd love to know more... If you don't mind, of course."

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 17, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi considers. "I can probably talk us a way out, yes. But to have any shot at it I'm going to need to know more about you. Specifically: why are you in here, beyond, I assume, viscap possession? What was that about dragons?"

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

Willi decided that the easiest way to make the man more talkative would be to get him out of jail, if possible. "All right, my friend, I believe you. We can have a proper chat about all this once we're out of here! Now, I'm going to need you to act very sad for me, very distraught. Moan and sob, lament, that sort of thing. It's imperative that you sell it if you want us to pull this off. Parvis, if you could look a bit sad as well, that would help. I promise that, as my new friend, you won't be rotting in here for long."

He called out through the cell bars. "Guards! Guaaaarrrdssss! Come quick! It's an emergency!" When several paladins came running, he launched into his story.

"I was just talking to my new friend here, and... oh my, it's all so very tragic. He's just inconsolable, can hardly keep it together, so I'll have to explain." For his part, the lisping man was doing his best to look bereaved. It was...sort of convincing. The man was clearly not a trained actor.

"He has a mother, you see, an ailing mother, back in old Horizon. He had just arrived here when he a received a message, a terrible message! His mother had died, suddenly, of a terrible illness, but none of his family was well enough to take for her a proper burial because they're all deathly ill as well! And a dragon burned down the funeral home! And his house! That bit was all over the Horizon news, I'll have you know; and I happen to have a clipping. I'm from Horizon myself, you see, and dragon attacks there are pretty rare and frankly alarming. I fear for my own poor mother!"

Willi pulled a scrap of blank paper from his pocket and used Minor Illusion to make it appear to be the article in question, showing it to the guards before stowing it away again.

"Anyway, to continue. I understand you fellows arrested him on the basis of some unfortunate misunderstanding. I know you're just doing your jobs, but would it be so much to ask to let him go early? His mother, you see! I can hardly bear to hear of such tragedy!" Willi's eyes fill with tears. "Sirs, I know you are men of fairness and justice. Hear his plea!"

"As for myself, well, I can claim no such thing. And I know I was violating the laws of this city by doing what I did, fair enough. But did I hear tell that my bail was two hundred and fifty gold? I can handle that right here and be on my way, for you see I have promised to accompany this fine, admirable man to the docks and see him off on his urgent journey. I fear he would never make it without me!"

"For bail I offer this flute!" Willi held up his flute. "It's worth much more than two hundred and fifty gold, I assure you. This flute is a priceless artifact, passed down from bard to bard for centuries, until finally it came into my hands. You see that mark near the end?" He indicated a faint series of scratches in the wood. "That is the signature of Bofo Fliddlestunt, the greatest bard in a thousand years! I hope to surpass him someday, although that's likely a vain ambition." Willi smiled modestly.

"I of course could not bear to part with such a fine and storied artifact for good, but I would be willing to leave it with you trustworthy fellows as collateral for as long as I remain at the tournament. I'd never leave without it, so you can trust me to return and take my just punishment."

Con the guards with Tale-teller (cha): 26

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 18, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

I assume it'll be a one-match-a-day sort of thing, so we'll have more opportunities to investigate. Gotta meet lispy guy at the docks, after all

Willi Winto

Willi bursts in to the party's rooms. "Well! That was an interesting day, friends! I was in jail!"

"You know paladins, bunch of intolerant sticklers! Present company excluded, of course. They arrested me for getting up to a bit of good honest public speaking. No big deal, I talked my way out, gave them one of my flutes for bail-" He pulls five more similar flutes out of his pack, and selects one- "but while I was there I met a very interesting fellow. He spoke with a lisp and was generally surly, but intimated to me that he had had some sort of dealings with the Black. I'm meeting him tomorrow at the docks after the match, so hopefully we can find out more."

"What did you all get up to? Any luck?"

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 18, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

Initiative: 7 Welp

Combat statblock:

pre:

Melee: 1d20+6; 3d8+3                            [ ] Lightning Bolt (Daily)
Ranged: 1d20+6; 3d6+3                           [ ] Book of Lich's Lore (Item, Recharge 16+)
As for who gets to be king, I think Ryu is the most durable all around. Between Willi and Lavi he should have a pretty hard time going down. Really though, anyone but me, since I'm the only person I can't hit with most of my heals.

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 19, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

"First-move advantage, pff, who needs it. You guys start, I'm going to try to win over the crowd a bit first."

Willi is going to do some grandstanding before the fight starts which is clearly why he rolled a natural 1

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

Willi, who had been attempting to win over the crowd with grandstanding, finally turned to regard the battle.

"Well dang." Ryu wasn't looking good. Those elves were all over him. Willi guessed he had better do something. And what better thing to do than... Song!

Quick Action: Song of Heroes- Willi and nearby allies get +1 to hit for as long as the song is maintained

"Now you might think you have us on the ropes,
but you ain't seen nothing, you pointy-eared dopes!"

Willi drew his sword and held the point up to the symbol scratched into his book, which had begun to flicker with a cold blue light. As the point touched the symbol, the light flared... and arcs of electricity began to run up and down the blade. A loud buzzing filled the air, and nearby competitors' hair stood on end.

"This battle's just a mock-up, so don't worry, you won't die,
but sure as we're all heroes, some elves are gonna FRY!"

Willi thrust his sword in the direction of the warfighter, and thick bolt of blue lightning shot out, arcing to the half-elf's sword and running through his armored torso, then skipping off again to ground out via Nolleret. The elves shuddered violently, and when the bolt cut out, dropped to the ground, faintly sizzling. The warfighter still seemed to be conscious, barely, but Nolleret was out cold.

A clap of thunder echoed around the area. Willi blew on the tip of his blade, then advanced to engage the sorceress. As he did so, he shouted to the crowd. "THAT was a little trick I learned from the Lich King. A real stand-up guy, you know!"

LIGHTNING BOLT on (1d3+1) 2 targets, the warfighter and Nolleret: 19, 27 vs PD for 34 damage (roll says 38, but there's actually no stat modifier)!

Willi then moves to melee with the spider sorceress.

pre:

HP 45/45	         Hang Tough!            [x] Song of Heroes (Recharge 11+)
Melee: 1d20+6; 3d8+3                            [x] Lightning Bolt (Daily)

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 21, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

Btw MCP, the sorceress is actually at 21 from lavi's miss damage. Potentially very important as you will see!

Willi decided it was about time to end his song on a high note. He sang a final, ringing verse, and felt himself fill with confidence. Man, he was so good at this!

Sustain SoH: 1d20 2- song ends. Final Verse: +2 to one ally's next attack. Giving it to himself.

Bolstered with self-satisfaction, he swung his longsword at the Drow sorceress before him, but she managed to knock his blade aside with her staff, and took only a minor graze. drat, she was good. Or maybe just lucky? Probably the latter.

He shouted back at Isaac. "Hey, I set her up for you! Totally planned! Yeah!"

Spider Sorceress Stabbing: 1d20+9 11 miss, 3 damage.
Natural Even Miss: It's All Yours- Next ally to attack her gets +2 to hit.

pre:

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

Before leaving, Willi faced the crowd and, magically amplifying his voice, tried his best Triple H impression. "THISSSSSSS is what they GET, for challenging the LEVIATHANS! We are the KINGS! We are the KINGS OF KINGS! IF YOU COME AT THE LEVIATHANS, YOU'LL LEAVE IN TATTERS!"

Willi looked around for a folding chair to hit the elves with, and, failing to find one, gave Telleron and Nolleret a few clouts with his Book as they staggered out of the arena. "YES, that's right! CRAWL AWAY, WORMS! You stood NO CHANCE!" He pointed at the stands, and swept his finger laterally, taking in the whole crowd. "All who face us will be CRUSHED, just like these pathetic ELVES! HRAHHHHHHHHHH!" Willi flexed and did his best fierce face, then turned and strode out of the arena.

Heel Turn (tale-teller): 23

Back inside, Willi dusted himself off nonchalantly, having taken nary a scratch in the fight. He waited until the Half-Orc left before speaking.

Recharge Song of Heroes: 15 recharged!

"Hey friends, don't forget I'm due to meet that lispy guy at the docks. I don't expect a fight, but it wouldn't hurt to have some backup! Who wants to come with? I don't want to spook the guy, so while I look for him, just find something to do at the docks and act casual. As... casual as you're capable of acting, anyway."

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 23, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

"Sounds good, friends! Let's go. And don't worry, Moju, I can't risk jeopardizing this lead."

Willi took three hundred gold from their stash with him, as possible enticement. As they walked, he explained the plan. "I'll try to talk to him first. Isaac, you could either meet him with me or just stay nearby, your choice. You probably aren't going to be able to avoid notice either way, and i'm sure the guy knows who we are at this point. Moju, you might be able to escape detection, so just hang out somewhere in the docks and try to keep an eye out. If we need your backup, I'll make this noise-" Willi snapped his fingers, and there was the sound of a blaring siren- "And you come running. Get ready to zap some folks if you do."

Arriving at the docks, Willi looked around for Taren. Given their deal, he was sure the man would show himself before long.

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 24, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

"Just so. You know who we are now, Tanlen, so you know we're good for it. Tell us about your supply. Where's it from, how much do you have? As you can see, my associate has...discerning tastes."

"If you have what we're looking for, you'll find our gratitude to be quite boundless." Willi shifted slightly, and the gold in his pockets clinked. He smiled.

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 24, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

Willi squinted at the odd mushrooms. Truth be told, he hadn't had the faintest idea what 'viscap' was until the party explained it to him. Still, it didn't particularly matter if the man was stiffing them. He pulled out a mushroom, turned it in his hands, and frowned pensively. Then he grinned.

"Yes, I believe these will do nicely. We are in business, Mr. Taren. How does one hundred sound, for the lot?" I have no idea about the going rates for illicit mushrooms are but I want to offer him a very favorable price on those things after a bit of haggling. 25 to do that and generally sell my interest in and knowledge of the mushrooms.

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 24, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Welp, I hope you all like drugs! On the other hand, cover successfully maintined

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

Willi puts on a grimace. "I apologize for my friend's rudeness. But I've already done you two favors in giving you an excellent rate on that viscap and, more importantly, springing you from jail. You'd still be rotting in there without me, isn't that so? Now you're free as a bird! And we are rather curious about the black dragon you mentioned. It's not every day you hear about something like that, eh? Come on, do your new friends a solid."

The gnome's face becomes a picture of tragedy. "If you don't give us something, I can't guarantee your safety with my friend here around. He may seem calm, but you know viscap can make you. Unpredictable. The last time someone disrespected him, he had his dog there bite off their finger! And their feet! Both feet! And that's nothing compared to what he did to that poor half-elf the other week. It was... Well, let's just say that pretty boy isn't too pretty anymore. "

"And that dog. They're two of a kind, two peas in a pod, but even so he can barely keep a leash on it. The thing may be a skeleton, but I tell you, its temper is positively demonic." Willi shivers dramatically. "Oh, the things I have seen..."

"So help us out here, and help yourself."

Better Cop Good Cop Bad Dog (cha, tale-teller): 24

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

Willi let out a relieved sigh and wiped nonexistent sweat from his brow with the back of his hand. "Whew! I'm glad he's satisfied. Thanks for the viscap, Taren, and for the information. My friend's a little paranoid about black dragons. You said this was a surplus? Must be one hell of a party somewhere."

"Anyway, I'll see you around. Gotta go get ready for our next fight!" Willi followed Isaac out of the alley.

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

"You all see what you can find out about those crates. I've got a plan to find a halfling."

Willi returned to the front desk and found the half-orc. He sidled up and gave the fellow a sidelong glance.

"Say, friend, you seem like the guy to ask about this..." He lowered his voice. "Do you know if there's any halfling or gnome women working at this arena? I'm looking to find some ladies of my own... vertical persuasion. There aren't too many around, and all you tall folk, well, you're a bit too tall, you know?" He gave the half-orc an exaggerated wink. "You understand, don't you? I'm just looking for you to point me in the right direction. I'll do the rest."

Tale-Teller (cha) to sell him on this: 23

surely as general clerk guy, the half-orc has had to set up dates before

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

Seeing the number of arena employees that fit the description of 'halfling woman wearing an apron,' Willi hastily revised his plan.

Keeping out of the way of the staff, he glanced around the kitchen space, looking for any cupboard, pantry or meat locker that would make a suitable hiding place. He received some odd glances from a few of the staff, but a repeat of his 'date seeking' excuse and a gleaming smile made them turn away, rolling their eyes.

If he could just find somewhere to hide, he could wait until everyone left and then get down to the real investigating. The viscap had to be nearby; it wasn't as if a halfling woman could easily carry such a large amount on her person.

Book of Lich's Lore Recharge (forgot earlier): 17 recharged!

Spotting good hiding places (int, no background- used book reroll): 12 (or 11 if you want me to use wis instead)

I just want to know what the good hiding spots are, if any- once I know I'll use an ability and roll a different check to successfully hide without them noticing

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 29, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

"All right, all right, calm down madam. Might I speak with you in private?" Will drew her away slightly from the other staff and began speaking to her in a low tone.

"I can see my usual cover isn't going to work with you, so allow me to explain. It's true that I am a gladiator, but I'm not actually here looking for a date. The truth is..." Willi looked left and right, making sure no one else was close close enough to hear, then continued.

"...I'm also an undercover health inspector, working for the Emperor himself! You must realize, madam, how important this event is to the Empire, and how essential it is that the food is nourishing and uncontaminated. I can see you run a tight ship here, and I have no doubt that your kitchen will live up to His Highness's requirements, but i have my orders, and they must be carried out. Normally I wouldn't be at liberty to tell anyone this, but I will make an exception, as you seem worthy of confidence."

"Now, the last thing I want to do is earn your ire. If my presence here is distracting, might I possibly come back after you close up? I'll make sure not to disturb anything, I just need to look around and take a few magical readings. If you could leave the door unlocked I will lock up when I go."

actually I'm the health inspector (cha, tale-teller): 29 blammo

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 29, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Yeah, you all better contrive your way over here

Willi Winto

Hearing the footsteps, Willi looked around for a shadowy corner to hide in. Somewhere he could sneak a peek at whoever that was without them seeing him, and, if necessary, step out dramatically to block the door. Considering how dark the pantry was, it shouldn't be hard to find.

They were already close, though, so he had to move as stealthily as possible.

Sneak out of sight and don't trip over a bag of sugar or whatever:: 14

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

As Isaac and the wizard argued, Willi momentarily turned away from the scene, rummaging in his bag. When he turned back around, he was wearing a deerstalker cap in place of his usual turban, and a pipe was between his teeth. He puffed on it as he surveyed the scene.

"It's very simple, Mr. Miles. I pursued her because she is a criminal!"

Willi clasps his hands behind his back and paces around the room, looking sidelong at Miles.

"She left her charm in the basement? Why, how, and when? And her allegations against me? Laughable, for various reasons. I tell you she was not there for any such thing, but there to perpetrate an illegal act, which i was fortunate enough to witness! And she ran here, because she knew that should she go to the police, the evidence- and there is evidence, my friends, which i will show the police when they arrive- would not be in her favor."

Willi stopped, removed his pipe from his mouth, and glared at the mage. "Which brings up another point. Why are you so eager to keep her out of the hands of the police? Surely those paragons of law, the golden paladins, can be relied upon to find the truth in this matter? I tell you, sir, if your interference allows her to escape, then you are standing in the way of the due process of law and justice on this island."

He looked at the other gladiators. "I don't expect you to trust me. You don't know me, after all, and we are adversaries. I merely expect you to trust the law enforcers on this island to do their job. Detain both of us until they arrive, if you like- just do not let her" he jabbed his finger in the direction of the halfling woman- "get away."

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

(in answer to the gladiator's question about what happened)

"It is, again, quite simple. As Isaac alluded to, I was undertaking investigations of drug trafficking on this island. We had received a tip that a large shipment of that substance-" he gestured at the mushroom in Isaac's hand- "had been delivered to the arena. Naturally I began investigating some out-of-the-way areas, which is what led me to the cellars. And in the cellars, I found that huge sack of viscap! While investigating it, I heard footsteps approaching the cellar, so I hid, intending to ascertain the identity of the culprit. Well, I did- It was her!" He pointed again at Penny. "She went straight to the sack upon entering the cellar."

"Unfortunately she also spotted me in my hiding place, and as it turns out, she's a fair shot with a thrown lantern. Hence my face. She then fled, and I followed, and here we are."

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 1, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

As they talked, Willi rubbed some salve on his bruised face. That woman had an arm on her.

"I think that could work, yes. We may not entirely start with the initiative, but with enough skeleton minions and explosions and such, I'm sure we can seize it either way."

"As for me, well, I have one more special spell in my Book, and let me tell you, it's a doozy. I'd prefer to save it, though- it'll be the perfect card to play in the finals against those fearsome-looking Axis fellas. But I do have a new song for us, and a bit of Bardic magic- which is to say, pointing and laughing. It's surprisingly effective!"

Spending one recovery to heal to full: 3d8+2 20

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

As Willi swaggered into the ring, a song started up. It was not immediately clear where it was coming from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks3st1dG4UY

As he walked, he pointed at cheering audience members, made rude gestures at heckling ones, and generally conveyed a sense of haughty arrogance. He stopped before the Hill, the music fading out, and faced the crowd, shouting into an imaginary microphone.

"PRESENTING, for your WORSHIP, MYSELF, WILLI WINTO, and the INVINCIBLE LEVIATHANS! BOW DOWN, WORMS!" Willi motioned with his arms for the audience to bow, sneering at the wave of jeers. He then swept his arm towards the opposing team.

"PRESENTING, for your DERISION, the LAUGHABLE TALONS! They came all the way from DRAKKENHALL to LOSE, FOLKS! PATHETIC!" Willi crossed his arms and smirked as this statement was met by another burst of angry shouting.

Then he drew his sword. "PRESENTING, for your AMUSEMENT, a ONE-SIDED SLAUGHTER!"

initiative: 15

pre:

Recoveries 7/8 (3d8+2)                          [ ] Soundburst (Daily)
Ranged: 1d20+6; 3d6+3                           [x] Book of Lich's Lore (Item, Recharge 16+)

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 3, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

Willi, considerably quicker on the draw this time, climbed up the rope onto the lower platform and started a song as he did so.

"HEROES COUNT IT OFF
ONE Ryu Kazama's always in control
TWO the wise guy is, Willi Winto
FOUR Moju, Isaac they're the brains of the bunch
FIVE count on Lavi to THROW THE FIRST PUUUUNCH
"

From his vantage point, he shouted down at the newly visible kobold below him.

"Good work there, chump! You learn that slick stealth technique in Shadow school? YOU STINK!" Willi's bardic magics gave the hurtful words weight, and the kobold reeled back as if struck. He looked like he was about to cry.

Quick Action: Song of Heroes: Willi and allies get +1 to hit while the song is sustained

Vicious Mockery on the Kobold Shadow: 1d20+8 vs MD 23

Hit: 6d6+4 28 psychic damage, and when the target misses it takes half the damage it would have dealt with the attack (save ends)

Willi moves to the left lower platform.

pre:

AC      17	         Pull It Together!	[x] Vicious Mockery (Recharge 11+)
Ranged: 1d20+6; 3d6+3                           [x] Book of Lich's Lore (Item, Recharge 16+)

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 5, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

Willi took a running leap off his platform, landing in a roll next to Isaac. He stood up quickly and caught the half-orc's swing on the edge of his sword, blunting the strength of the attack and grazing the half-orc's knuckle as the blade rode up the haft of the hammer.

He glanced at Isaac, who was looking winded from the hammer-blow and generally unhappy with his situation. "Hey! Are you to let some meathead with a hammer take you out? Did you go to wizard college for fifteen years to lose this match? NO! You got this! Cast a spell or whatever!"

Sustain SoH: 8 Nope. Isaac gets +2 to his next attack roll.

Move to engage the half-orc

Melee attack vs half-orc: 1d20+7 12 Miss, 3 damage.
Natural odd roll: Hang Tough, Isaac gets 8 THP

pre:

HP 39/45	         Hang Tough!            [x] Song of Heroes (Recharge 11+)

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

I'm too tired to write the post just now but suffice to say the dice are not cooperating, if someone else could get Isaac up i'd be much obliged

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

Willi swung at the half-orc, but found his attack blocked. Something a little more magic might come in handy, but he was fresh out.

"Hey, Moju! Do the thing! You know, where you go 'boom' and someone gets zapped. Only maybe do it even better!"

Attacking Hammer: 10 miss, 3 damage.
Even miss: It's All Yours: The next ally to attack hammer gets +2 to hit him.

pre:

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 7, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

As Lavi bowled over the half-orc, Willi took the opportunity to shift out of hammer range. Then he thought about what to do.

Hm. He didn't really want to go near that nasty chain lady. She was a real piece of work. He decided discretion was the better part of valor, and moved to the other side of the arena, pulling out his crossbow. Time for a Distraction Special. And also a Bolt In the Gut Special. He loaded one bolt, and held another ready in his hand.

The first bolt he fired missed eiko, but it passed so close by her face that it grazed the tip of her nose and tore her veil, taking a piece with it and pinning it to the opposite wall of the arena. Willi held up one fist, thumb sticking out between forefinger and middle finger. "Hey Eiko, got your nose!" As she glanced toward him in anger and confusion, Ryu took advantage of the distraction and landed a dazing blow through her guard.

Then the second bolt hit, doing the more usual puncture-related things.

Disengage from Hammer: 1d20 17

Moving to the opposite side of the arena, near the right ground-to-middle-platform rope

Crossbow attack vs. Eiko: 1d20+9 27 Hit, 3d6+3 13 damage.
Natural 16+: Confounding, Eiko is dazed UEONT.

pre:

PD	15	         It's All Yours!	[x] Confounding (OPB)
I forgot my crossbow uses d6es so I took 3 off the damage I rolled to account for that

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 10, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

Willi simply took aim again and hit eiko with another bolt. One of these days she was finally going to keel over. One of these days.

Crossbow Attack: 1d20+10 22 hit, 3d6+3 14 damage.

pre:

PD	15	         It's All Yours!	[x] Confounding (OPB)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Willi Winto

Willi dusted himself off, again relatively unscathed. He guessed he couldn't claim that that was a 'one sided slaughter.' Instead, he decided it was about time for a show of sportsmanship going into the finals.

He walked over to the kobold shadow, who was still struggling to rise after his quick takedown early in the match. He raised his sword, to the loud chagrin of the clerics... and then sheathed it, and pulled the kobold up with one hand. Supporting him with one arm and patting him on the back, Willi walked him out of the arena. The kobold still seemed mostly out of it and probably didn't notice the gesture, but whatever.

As he walked, he raised his other fist in victory.

Face Turn: 26

-----------

"I don't think the dwarves would talk to me, what with me being half of the nefarious Lich King wards plot. Besides, I've got to go interview that halfling at the police station. And Isaac has to go inspect the corpse there, too. And Lavi should probably come with us once he's awake, so they don't arrest us both in a fit of, well, paladin. If anyone else wants to come with, you're welcome to, and later we can help Ryu with his date with his attempted murderer or whatever."

"I don't think she wants to fight, despite the, y'know, murder attempt. We've already done plenty, and agreeing to ryu's meeting would be a pretty stupid way to do an ambush."

Recharge rolls: Song of Heroes 17 yes Vicious Mockery 6 no Book of Lich's Lore 17 yes

Spending Average Recovery to heal to full

pre:

Recoveries 6/8 (3d8+2)                          [ ] Soundburst (Daily)

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 11, 2015