Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan
"Well, my son told me I needed a hobby and I'm poo poo at painting. As for the blood I don't know what she's on about, but I do got a lotta pep for my age."

Callahan's posture goes from laconic to ramrod straight as he hears 'Dragon Slayers', "well, sir, I would have just used this opportunity to escape, but since you're the Dragon Slayers I'm happy to help with whatever, uh," he looks with vague suspicion at the chumminess going on between his undead captor and the heroes, "heroics... you have going on here. I'm a master tracker and military scout. Also an excellent shot, seems like that'd be useful for enemies that can fly. I have a lot of experience at asymmetrical warfare, fair hand at planning ambushes and making traps. Now, I'm used to fighting things less clever than me, but it seems like 'the most cunning beasts' also tend towards arrogance and general lack of caution so maybe that's not too bad. Never fought a dragon if I'm being honest. Fought the Orc Lord though."

He stares wistfully into the distance as his right hand opens and closes repeatedly at his side, perhaps over an imaginary weapon, or an imaginary neck. 'You gonna give me my stuff back? My bow and my boots have some sentimental value. The gloves are purely utilitarian but at my age you don't like shooting without some nice leather gloves, wears on the skin. You can give me any old sword if you like. My old one was nothing special. Frankly I'd prefer new clothes, these ones got a bit of the musk."

pre:
Jack "Deadeye" Callahan
Stats		1/Battle	1/Day		 Natural Roll
HP	60/60	[ ] Tracker 	[ ] Regain	 16+ Ranged: Second attack -4
AC	22	[ ] Archery	[ ] Reroll	 Even Miss Ranged: +8 miss damage
PD	10	[ ] Deadeye	[ ] Wall-Walk	 Even hit: reroll 1s and 2s
MD	15					 Odd Melee: +1 crit range until crit 
Recoveries: 9/9 (5d10)				 Even Melee Esc 2+: 2nd attack new target	
Initiative: +13
Melee Attack: +9 vs AC; 5d10+8 damage
Ranged Attack: +10 vs AC: 5d10+9 damage; level miss, quick action to aim for 
+4 miss damage, +2d4 damage against most dangerous opponent
Threatening: -4 to disengage from me, unless I'm stunned, grappled, or unable to make OAs.
Boots: +2 to disengage and fancy footwork
Icons:
Emperor: 1d6 1
Emperor: 1d6 1
Orc Lord: 1d6 2
Lich King: 1d6 2
Hot garbage!

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

"Well," while he speaks Jack strips, digs through his bag for a change of clothes, does a few stretches, and finally, at long last, puts his less soiled clothing on, "splitting up can work. Staying together can work too. Seems like you're getting into Dead politics. I wouldn't advise it but when you're riding a Chull you don't jump off. But I wouldn't suppose you're ever safe. They haven't killed us yet but one side or the other will change their mind as soon as they figure out where you're going and find they don't like it. Probably the reason they're loading you down with spies."

He lovingly pats the engraving of his bow and tests out the string, "just my two cents, been retired too long or I'd have just kept my mouth shut and let the officers gently caress it up on their own, know what I mean? So you got orders?"

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

Isaac is right. The library itself might contain the knowledge we need, but it needs to be narrowed down. Jack may not be much of a reader when it comes to books but he has atalent for "reading" other things. Like patterns in the dust. Has anyone opened the door recently? If they did, did they also use some other part of the library? Which books seem to get regular use? Tracking is all about uncovering information in the environment, seeing what's right in front of you, and uncovering what it means.

Monster Hunter + Wisdom to "read" the library: 1d20+11 24

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

Jack slowly sounds out the title to himself. After the laborious process he nods proudly, still got it! "Hey, got something here," he calls out, "these look like the favorite books in the library and I'd say the place doesn't see a lot of use. One person routinely walks through the two doors, and seems like that same person really likes this set of books. I bet she died in the fifth age and she likes reading about herself. Has some memories or grudges she likes to go over. Sounds to me like we only really give a poo poo about the first title cause that refers to her name before she died. Anybody know a sad noble lady with a bunch of creepy magic from the fifth age? Or got the patience to flip through these books? I learned my letters but I was never much of a reader."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

"Yeah, well, I guess when you get old enough all you got is petty bullshit and the never ending thirst for blood."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

Fight? Fight!: 2d20k1+13 26 Stunt: 1d6 4
As soon as Ryu starts to draw his sword the adrenaline kicks in. Jack has an arrow in the string, aimed at the leader's heart.

pre:
Jack "Deadeye" Callahan
AC	22	[ ] Archery	[ ] Reroll	 Even Miss Ranged: +8 miss damage
PD	20	[ ] Deadeye	[ ] Wall-Walk	 Even hit: reroll 1s and 2s
Ranged Attack: +10 vs AC: 5d10+9 damage; level miss, quick action to aim for +4 miss damage, 
+2d4 damage against most dangerous opponent
Threatening: -4 to disengage from me, unless I'm stunned, grappled, or unable to make OAs.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

Ranged Basic on wounded guy: 1d20+10 11
Archery!
Ranged Basic on wounded guy: 1d20+12 19 vs AC (still an odd miss, but at least I get miss damage!)
9 miss damage on the Crusher!
Skill check to look for a good perch: 1d20+5+1 14

Jack was hoping to drop the leader before the full scale brawl broke out, but he hesitates as the raging dragonspawn pounces on Ryu. He aims and waits for his shot. As his stomach gets torn open the creature rears back and Jack's arrow glances off his throat scales. Right, right, dragons, not orcs. Should have gone for the soft underbelly like the experienced dragon slayer. Jack peers around in the darkness for a nice vantage, perhaps opposite the necromancer, no good being surrounded.

Minor action: Aim
Standard: Attack
Move/minor action: look for a better position

pre:
Jack "Deadeye" Callahan
AC	22	[X] Archery	[ ] Reroll	 Even Miss Ranged: +8 miss damage
Ranged Attack: +10 vs AC: 5d10+9 damage; level miss, quick action to aim for +4 miss damage, 

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

Disengage: 1d20 6

Jack rolls to get away from the cultist and put out the fire. Fire goes out, but the skeleton is on top of him. He uses the momentum to draw his greatsword and slash at the thing. As he makes contact his blood boils. The great pounding of war drums drives him on. With an inhuman scream he pounces on the skeletons, tearing through them like parchment.

Disengage: 1d20 6
Melee attack: 1d20+10 30
Damage: 5d10+8 41 x2 = 82

pre:
Jack "Deadeye" Callahan
HP	31/60	[ ] Tracker 	[ ] Regain	 16+ Ranged: Second attack -4

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 14, 2015

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

Jack clears his head, takes a deep breath, and shoots the necromancer in the chest. drat, missed the heart.

Quick: Change to bow
Quick/move: aim
Standard: shoot

Shoot the necromancer (with deadeye): 1d20+12 21
Damage: 5d10+9 25
Save: 1d20 17

pre:
Jack "Deadeye" Callahan
HP	31/60	[ ] Tracker 	[ ] Regain	 16+ Ranged: Second attack -4
PD	20	[X] Deadeye	[ ] Wall-Walk	 Even hit: reroll 1s and 2s
Temp hp: 22

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

Jack shrugs, "well, can't say I mind that dead head stopped moving. Can't say I like how she went, sounded like she was giving some dirt. Guess it's a wash. Let's just hope more of them take care of each other before this is over." He strolls lazily out after Isaac. Good warmup. Be nice to kill a dragon next.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

"Well, sounds a lot like that's gonna kill us, but it also sounds like an exceptional way to die."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

Jack nods. It doesn't sound like a masterful plan, but it's good enough for military work. "I'll take up the back then." If we're charging forward blind, we might as well have our backs covered, so he spends a moment to drop some basic one-way traps. Anything following us in will have trouble, but we should be able to retreat the way we came easily enough.

old fashioned spiked-pot-rope trick: 1d20+5+1 21

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

[Minor + standard?] Well, Jack is a scout and if the rest of the group is going to start from the top, he might as well start from the bottom. He quickly and quietly hooks his climbing rope to the closest pillar and slides all the way to the bottom. Hopefully the stirring gargoyles won't make to much fuss over the dangling object.

[Move] Jack hides behind the bottom left pillar.

Rappel to the bottom: 1d20+5+5 20 + 5 (forgot level in Orokos) = 25

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 25, 2015

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

There's some sort of commotion above, hopefully they can take care of it on their own. Capturing key monsters used to be part of Jack's job description. He goes to the nearest one, checks it for the mark, and then (regardless of the answer), gives it a 4-point-muzzled-boar-tie with his hardiest rope. You always bring rope. Always.

Move - get next to nearest gargoyle
Quick - Check for the mark
Standard - Tie it up

(If it's the right one then bingo! If it's the other one then there's only two gargoyles on this floor and subduing the closest one before it makes trouble might help)

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

Jack looks at the beast, back at his companions, back at the beast. "Well, it's never too late to try something new!" He hops on and readies his bow. Nothing better than an aerial perch, if those creatures attack it will be through a hail of arrows.

Initiative: 2d20k1+13 27
Tracker: 1d6 5

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

Jack was lazily picking off stunned gargoyles while that dick ghost/skeleton thing made its offer or threat or whatever, he wasn't really paying attention. But as soon as it shot... Ghosts? His Deadeye snapped back to the action. An arrow streaks past the first wraith to lodge firmly in its... Something. He has an knack for picking out an enemy's weakpoints, even when he has no idea what he's looking at. Has to do with how the beast carries itself, what it favors. Looks like that hurt.

Ranged Basic on Hexmuller - Deadeye: 1d20+10 22
poo poo! Archery!: 1d20+12 30
Damage: 5d10+2d4+9 48 x2 = 96

Second Shot

Ranged Basic on Gargoyles, second attack: 1d20+6 22
Damage: 5d10+9 46

pre:
Jack "Deadeye" Callahan
HP	58/60	[ ] Tracker 	[ ] Regain	 16+ Ranged: Second attack -4
AC	22	[X ] Archery	[ ] Reroll	 Even Miss Ranged: +8 miss damage
PD	20	[X ] Deadeye	[ ] Wall-Walk	 Even hit: reroll 1s and 2s
Recoveries: 8/9 (5d10)				 Even Melee Esc 2+: 2nd attack new target	

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

Shoot the Blue Wraith: 1d20+11 16
Re-roll!
Gloves Re-roll: 1d20+10 13
poo poo!

Jack grits his teeth, aims, and sends a shot at the weakened wraith. Still shaking from the electricity coursing through his body, his shot goes wide and only carries a bit of blue mist away from its ghostly form.

Minor: Aim
Standard: Ranged Attack
9/2 = 5? Miss damage on the Wraith

Save: 1d20 14

pre:
Jack "Deadeye" Callahan
HP	23/60	[ ] Tracker 	[ ] Regain	 16+ Ranged: Second attack -4
AC	22	[X ] Archery	[X ] Reroll	 Even Miss Ranged: +8 miss damage

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

Jack clears his head at Temur's words. He steadies his aim and takes a shot at the Lich. The arrow strikes center mass, but doesn't seem to effect the dead thing. Whatever weak spot he struck before, this wasn't it.

Attack Hexmuller: 1d20+12 18
Even Miss + Aim = 17 Damage

Minor: Aim
Standard: Ranged Attack

pre:
Jack "Deadeye" Callahan
HP	57/60	[ ] Tracker 	[ ] Regain	 16+ Ranged: Second attack -4
Recoveries: 7/9 (5d10)				 Even Melee Esc 2+: 2nd attack new target	

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

Jack can only laugh as his mount weaves between obstacles at high speed. His blood is on fire with adrenaline. As they turn to face the great Dracolich he screams in joy and rage. Yes! this is life!

pre:
Jack "Deadeye" Callahan
AC	22	[ ] Archery	[X ] Reroll	 Even Miss Ranged: +8 miss damage
Initiative: 1d20+13 28
Tracker: 1d6 4
Recharge Archer's Gauntlets: 1d20 8

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

Mist huh? Jack clears his head and looks for opportunities. The big one seems to be shielding the smaller one, but in these conditions they can barely see each other. Maybe we can split them up and take out the small one in the confusion.

He shoots a barrage of arrows around the big dracolich's bulk and into the small one, striking true, right into its glowing green eyes! Then he swoops in close, just out of reach of the big guy. Once he gets its attention he takes a sudden turn, at the mist-obscured wall! He uses his mount's greater agility to turn away at the last moment and rejoin the main group. The Dracolich is forced to slam into the wall and slow down. Blundering far behind in mist, it will take a while to catch up!

Ranged Attack Srythis: 1d20+11 28
Damage: 5d10+9 45
16+! Second Shot
Second Shot! Deadeye!: 1d20+7 15
poo poo! Archery!: 1d20+9 25
16+ = Crit! But also resist!
Damage: 5d10+9 36

Split 'em up!: 1d20+5+4 21 Forgot my level again! 26 (Monster Hunter + Dex)

pre:
Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

A pincer! The Dragon Slayers were true to their name, devastating a dragon in just a few moments of aerial acrobatics, but we still have the big one behind us and another cutting us off in front. Hammer and anvil, and we're right where they want us, even with the loss. When you hit a pincer best thing to do is break through, or bunker down in a hard point. He searches desperately, trying to penetrate the mist... Is that? Yes! The catacombs, he remembers hunting the endless horde of dead in those underground maze-like warrens. Flying and bulk will do the dracoliches no good in there. He turns around to point it out to his companions and spots Temur and his mount bathed in ice! He swoops back and pulls out a ragged bag. Old special forces trick, bag'o'fire. The warm campfire embers, kept cooking in the insulated container, flare up when they hit air and bathe him and the dragon in gentle heat.

Move Spot safe ground: 1d20+5+5+1 31
Standard Help Temur: 1d20+5+5+4 34

So... 2 natural 20s? Should have attacked...

pre:
Jack "Deadeye" Callahan
HP	41/60	[ ] Tracker 	[ ] Regain	 16+ Ranged: Second attack -4

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan
pre]Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

Still staggering from the cave in, Jack tries to clear his mind. His ears still ringing, he takes a deep breath and another shot at the same spot those ghosts are trying to poke.

Move: Hear Temur: 1d20+5+5+1 21
Jack was bloodied! Recovers his use of Archery!
Quick: Aim
Standard: Ranged Attack Trok: 1d20+12 28
Damage: 5d10+9 35
Second Shot on Trok!: 1d20+8 13
5 miss damage!

Half damage if Temur's check only works for him or 21 isn't enough to hop on it. I'm not clear on that.
pre:
HP	20/60	[ ] Tracker 	[X] Regain	 16+ Ranged: Second attack -4
AC	22	[ ] Archery	[X ] Reroll	 Even Miss Ranged: +8 miss damage
Recoveries: 6/9 (5d10)				 Even Melee Esc 2+: 2nd attack new target	

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

Back in the Throne Room
"I don't want anything from you Lich King! ... Except, you know, letting me leave instead of continuing my indefinite confinement and torture. It was nothing personal, I just hate you, your organization, and everything you have ever and probably will ever do." Jack scratches his head and looks at his toes, "Huh, when I say it aloud like that it sounds pretty personal. But, you know, I hate a lot of things. Most things even. And I just came here cause the wife died and the kids don't want nothing to do with me and I didn't have a job no more and, uh, I just didn't know what to do with myself. Helped sate the never-ending bloodlust and for some reason the War Drums are quieter here too. But it turns out Dragon Slaying is way more fun than zombie slaying so I'm just going to leave with these guys."

At the fortress
Jack spends some time settling in. Once more he has the support of a large organization, so he's able to replace, repair, and improve on all his little tools and traps. He studies up on Draconic anatomy and behavior. The library is less useful on that point than he expected. All these books on intrigue and magic and other garbage, where's the bestiary when you need it?

Spending an appropriate amount of my gold to buy the highest quality mundane equipment for dragon slaying and whatever books he can find on dragons. He also gets a pair of Champion Runes. I'm not clear on how much of a support staff we have. If there are a lot of people working under the Dragon Slayers at this point he'll want to train some elite scouts.

He begins interviewing the other Dragon Slayers. It's vitally important that everyone knows and trusts each other for this kind of operation to succeed. His old squad worked together like clockwork, and he imagines the Dragon Slayers, as an even more elite force, will work hard to integrate new members.

Temur: 'So, where are you from again? You look Goblinoid, but you don't seem to be part of the Horde."
Lavi: "What's that you're making? Who taught you how to craft dracolich stuff?"
Isaac: "So... What do you think happens to people after they die?"
Ryu: "Those are some serious guns. What's your training regiment?"

Icon Dice
Emperor: 1d6 4
Emperor: 1d6 5
Orc Lord: 1d6 3
Lich King: 1d6 5

Edit: Might as well put this here:

Jack watches the Wyvrens after they've been dismissed. He carefully observers how they move, how they interact with each other. The Black was clearly top of the pecking order, Temur chose well. But there's more to consider. He will need a mount that is fast, steadfast, cunning. But most of all, he will need trust and discipline. He takes note of a smaller green. It backs down from the larger beasts but snaps strategically when they push too far. Eventually it moves away from the pack to hunt rats. It stays perfectly still, until the rodents emerge, forgetting the predator right next to them. Then it chomps up several in a single motion. A skilled hunter, even if the prey is weak. It was likely captured later in life and dislikes being dependent on the trainer for its food. Jack finally makes his decision when the creature looks up at him and gives a low, short, hiss. It knew it was being watched.
Jack approaches, "What's your name?
"Azu"
"Well Azu, if you can speak then you can understand. I'm supposed to pick a mount. We will have the most dangerous tasks and one mistake, one moment of hesitation, will mean our death. I won't force it on you. There are no conscripts in the elite. But if you decide you want some real action, then we'll train together every day until we move like one. And then we will hunt."

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 6, 2016

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

Issac's Study

Jack nods politely and listens to Issac's speech. "When you want to hear a real answer you ask a real expert. I've heard a lot of clerics say a lot of words. Found out they tell you what they want you to hear. Best case they say what their god wants you to hear. But who says that god isn't full of poo poo? Ain't there a god just for lying out there? Thank you for the positive appraisal. I've found that skill and experience is everything, no matter the tools. A man can change the world with magic, or words, or his blade. In the service I saw a lot of wizards who weren't worth much more than a man with a barrel of oil and a torch. I also saw generals with nothing but their brains and balls turn the tide of a whole war. Mostly I just saw a bunch of people march to the spot where they die. Young men, sure they would live forever, full of plans and dreams. Maybe it's that surety, that they're special, that they couldn't really be done after doing nothing much, that keeps them here. Don't worry, I have plenty of regrets but when I finally leave I won't even take a glance back at this speck of dirt."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

We're under attack and the necromancer is going to resume his ritual from the courtyard. Rallying the troops is a fine idea, but they aren't fully trained yet and static defense is not Jack's strong suite. Instead he exits with Isaac and then fades into the shadows himself. He's a hunter just like their enemy. When hunters strike they reveal themselves, leave themselves vulnerable to a counter. Isaac is an obvious target, even moreso in the middle of the courtyard next to the giant dead dragon. Perfect bait. Jack quickly sets some traps and takes an ideal position to strike the assassins just before they reach his ally.

Counter-Ambush: 1d20+5+6+4 32

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
These assassins are less skilled than Jack thought. Disrupted so easily by a few traps and soldiers... And a giant undead dragon. But perhaps this was the B team. A few of the deaths in the courtyard remain unexplained. He thought the assailants were invisible, but perhaps it was an attack from above. He peers upward, what is that in the sky? And then his vision is obscured by a giant floating fortress. It's listing dangerously over the city. 'Hey, Isaac, is that supposed to happen? Maybe we should get over there."

What's that in the sky?: 1d20+5+6+1 18
Initiative: 2d20k1+9 25
Tracker Stunt: 1d6 3

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan
pre]Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

"What's that... Oh... INCOMING" Jack yells over the wind. He and Azu dart to the right, away from Isaac and Pyrrhus. At the same time he uses a smoldering coal to light his new toy. He throws the Flash Orb behind him. Hopefully the loud bang and bright flash of colored light will disorient the incoming dragon and they can lose it in the darkness.

Fireworks Solve Everything!: 1d20+5+6+4 19

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

Jack dives through the window taking many many shots as he flies and rolls into position. Most of those shots go quite wide, though a few might have bothered some of the shadowy opponents. He shakes his head and tries to steady his hands. He can hear the war drums so much clearer here, away from the land of the dead.

Hail of Arrows! (Ranged Basic on Mooks - Deadeye): 1d20+11 17
poo poo! Archery: 1d20+11 13
gently caress ME! MAGIC ITEM RE-Roll: 1d20+11 19
EVEN MISS (gently caress YOU OROKOS!)

Free - Making the mook Pool my Lethal Hunter target
Quick - Aim
Standard - Fire

Make 'em flinch + Aimed miss = 18 miss damage on the Mook Pool

pre:
Jack "Deadeye" Callahan
HP	75/75	[ ] Tracker 	[ ] Regain	 16+ Ranged: Second attack -2
AC	23	[X ] Archery	[X ] Reroll	 Even Miss Ranged: +8 miss damage
PD	21	[X ] Deadeye	[ ] Wall-Walk	 Even hit: reroll 1s and 2s
MD	16					 Even miss: +2 attack, half damage
Recoveries: 9/9 (5d10)				 Even Melee: +8 ongoing	
Initiative: +10
Melee Attack: +10 vs AC; 5d10+8 damage
Ranged Attack: +11 vs AC: 5d10+9 damage; level miss, quick action to aim for +4 miss damage, 

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 25, 2016

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

Hail of Arrows Again! (Ranged Basic on Mooks): 1d20+13 14
Jesus Orokos
Natural 1, out of re-rolls, 0 damage.

Quick = Aim
Standard = Fire

Jack looks for a target amid the shadows and his companions, he can't find a good shot that doesn't risk hitting his allies!

pre:
Jack "Deadeye" Callahan
HP	60/75	[ ] Tracker 	[ ] Regain	 16+ Ranged: Second attack -2
AC	23	[X ] Archery	[X ] Reroll	 Even Miss Ranged: +8 miss damage
Recoveries: 9/9 (5d10)				 Even Melee: +8 ongoing	
Ranged Attack: +11 vs AC: 5d10+9 damage; level miss, quick action to aim for +4 miss damage, 

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

"Even if he's invisible, if we know where he'll target we can predict where he'll be. And even invisible creatures leave traces. We can climb the towers in pairs and look for the signs, when he moves in to strike we'll tag him with some glow dust. If everyone takes a core we should be able to spot him before the fortress falls. Then the unlucky team who got him will have to keep him busy while the other Dragon Slayers rush in."

Recharge Gloves: 1d20 16 - Gloves recharge
Average recovery puts hp to full

pre:
Jack "Deadeye" Callahan
AC	23	[X ] Archery	[ ] Reroll	 Even Miss Ranged: +8 miss damage
Recoveries: 8/9 (5d10)				 Even Melee: +8 ongoing	

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan
"Sounds like a plan. I'll cover the far tower." With that Jack runs straight straight up the tower wall.

Using my boots of wall walking to make the check easier or go faster or whatever

Initiative: 2d20k1+10 19
Run up some walls: 1d20+5+6+5 21 (Special Forces + Level + Dex + 1 for Boots)

pre:
Jack "Deadeye" Callahan
AC	23	[X ] Archery	[ ] Reroll	 Even Miss Ranged: +8 miss damage
PD	21	[X ] Deadeye	[X] Wall-Walk	 Even hit: reroll 1s and 2s

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

With Naya going SE Jack splits off to the SW. Jack peers around for the dragon and listens for the wingbeats he heard before.

Move + Standard - get to the top of SW tower
Minor - Look for invisible dragon

Look for invisible dragons: 1d20+5+6+1 17
Tracker Stunt: 1d6 2

pre:
Jack "Deadeye" Callahan
AC	23	[ ] Archery	[ ] Reroll	 Even Miss Ranged: +8 miss damage
PD	21	[ ] Deadeye	[X ] Wall-Walk	 Even hit: reroll 1s and 2s
Ranged Attack: +12 vs AC: 5d10+10 damage; level miss, quick action to aim for +4 miss damage, 
+2d6 damage against most dangerous opponent

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

With only a general sense of the invisible beasts location Jack can't make a precise shot. He first a few arrows, hoping luck will work where skill fails. At least it might make the thing focus on him instead of the tower.

Ranged Basic: 1d20+12 19
Natural Odd Miss = 6 damage

pre:
Jack "Deadeye" Callahan
Ranged Attack: +12 vs AC: 5d10+10 damage; level miss, quick action to aim for +4 miss damage, 

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

With his trusty boots keeping him upright, Jack fires arrow after arrow at the beast. It's invisibility does more than just obscure its location however, without being able to pinpoint vital points the arrows bounce off useless against it's armored hide. In desperation Jack wraps a canister of oil on his last arrow, even if it does no real damage, at least it will sustain the flames.

Minor - Aim
Standard - Fire
Attack!: 1d20+13 19
Aimed miss = 10 miss damage!
Move - Combat Maneuver
More oil on the fire: 1d20+5+6+4 24

And since I forgot last turn Imugi is my lethal hunter target.

pre:
Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 8, 2016

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

What? No. NO! Jack's voice echoes in his head, unable to find expression in a mouth that was no longer his. Engulfed in darkness, he becomes the shadow. And his shadow, his terrible, bloody, savage shadow rises up. The drumbeats. So loud. Pounding through his heart. And underneath, words, the ancient words of the hunt.

We tracked
and chased
until you were at bay.

Your horns
a tangle of thorns;
traceries of hidden signs
to be divined.
Your pulsing heart
Unbreakable,

Its ossified core
a talisman
no terror could undo.

Until the best of us
drove home the spear,
and broke the bone.

We sang to you
as you were unmade,
his steel dancing
in your darkening blood.

Your scaled hide
unstitched.
Tendons' anchors
unhitched.

Your body rent;
each took his part -

When we had done
your pelvis still remained -
bloody in the lushness.
The ritual run -
the song being sung -
we left you -
a bent and blade-scored 'O' -
an offering
to crows.

A worthy prey. The Hunter lifts the Great Bow and a spear of purest darkness pierces straight through the heart, scatters its soul blood. It is marked. It cannot escape. He can taste its sudden terror. It believed the Void was its friend. It understands now, how easily the Cat becomes the Mouse. How quickly its pride can break and then there is only Fear. "The End comes for all" the Hunter whispers, his words only for the Prey.

Tracker Stunt: Jack's Shadow Form is something mighty and terrible!
(McP think of some fun mechanical thing that happened! Or just give me a healing surge and a damage bonus or whatever because we are screwed!)

Shadow Rune: 1d100 90 - Reroll one missed attack!

Shadow Arrows! (Basic + Deadeye): 1d20+15 23
poo poo! Archery: 1d20+15 30 CRIT!

Damage: 5d10+12 45 x2 = 90 Damage!

Save: 1d20 16

"No!" Jack wrenches back control over his body. The old stubborn soldier refuses to abandon his soul to the hunt! And now a frail, bloodied man stands before the great Imugi!

pre:
Jack "Deadeye" Callahan
HP	15/75	[ ] Tracker 	[ ] Regain	 16+ Ranged: Second attack -2

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Well, this post was lost to time due to a mix up...

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 16, 2016

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

Jack nearly tumbles off the fortress in chase, but stops himself. The wounded prey will leave a trail to its lair. There it will die. Soon. He checks his wounds, preparing to do a field dressing and spend a month on bedrest. He finds them closing and healing already. Disturbing, but not the weirdest thing he's seen. His mind flashes to that terrible day. He had hunted the Orc Lord. Something... saw him, in that moment.

As Ryu finds the body and screams his oath of bloody vengeance, Jack emerges from the shadows. The war drums pound in his head. "The beast hunted us. Attacked our home. We will not let this stand. We are the Dragon Slayers. Its hide shall be our banner, its skull a warning to our enemies." Jack scratches his head, "what a hosed up thing to say. Sorry, seemed cool at the time or something. My head hurts... so, I'm just going to take a minute. Let me know when you gather the hunting party to kill that dragon."

Spending 3 recoveries to fully restore health
Recharge Boots: 1d20 8 Boots recharge

pre:
Jack "Deadeye" Callahan
HP	75/75	[ ] Tracker 	[X ] Regain	 16+ Ranged: Second attack -2
Recoveries: 5/9 (5d10)				 Even Melee: +8 ongoing	
Melee Attack: +10 vs AC; 6d10+8 damage
Ranged Attack: +12 vs AC: 6d10+10 damage; level miss, quick action to aim for +4 miss damage, 

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

Jack stares at his shadow. It looks normal. No wait, is it deeper? Or something? Weirdness was going on, and it might have something to do with Imugi. The weird poo poo started with the Orc Lord, maybe they draw from the same primal power? He triest to remember anything that might give him an advantage.

Jack is not good at thinking but he will try: 1d20+3+1+6 19

When Isaac prods him Jack jumps out of is fugue. "Oh, right, yeah. I'm feeling fine. Better than ever! I've done some, uh, 'enhanced interrogation' in the field. I can go get my knives. I'm sure you have some tricks too, like eating his soul or something? You want to be good cop or bad cop?"

pre:
Jack "Deadeye" Callahan
HP	75/75	[ ] Tracker 	[X ] Regain	 16+ Ranged: Second attack -2
Recoveries: 5/9 (5d10)				 Even Melee: +8 ongoing	
Melee Attack: +10 vs AC; 6d10+8 damage
Ranged Attack: +12 vs AC: 6d10+10 damage; level miss, quick action to aim for +4 miss damage, 

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan

Jack shrugs once they're out of earshot of the prisoner, "yeah, he's right, I can sniff out the dragon. From the sound of it the beast is a lot like me. Commando, likes to use stealth and chaos, works best when the enemy isn't thinking straight. It won't like being hunted, so it'll want to turn it around, set up an ambush and hunt us instead. When facing something like that you have a few options:

You can unleash the hounds, chase after it full bore, never let up, never give it a chance to hide, or heal, or plan, and just overwhelm it. We probably already lost that chance.

Other option is to lay siege. Come at it in such force it can't do anything about it. Load up on all the fire, light, and holy we can find and march on its den in numbers. I don't know if we actually have the manpower for that, and it's going to mean a lot more deaths before we're through.

We could also stage a a counter ambush. If it doesn't know we know its weakness, we can meander up to it like we don't know our heads from our asses and when it attacks we can pull the rug from under it. That will work, so long as it doesn't know what we know.

Final option is to hunt it better than it hunts us. It's used to being the cat, in control, watching unseen, terrifying its enemy. It's not used to being prey. If we can find and attack it without it knowing where or how we're coming, it'll be in a place of weakness and inexperience. It will slip up, like it did today, and we can take it out. Of course only a small team could manage it and the shadows are its home, so it would take a lot of skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack "Deadeye" Callahan
Jack stops in his tracks as soon as he feels the change in Imugi's flight path. "Classic rope-a-dope. Risky move, but he must think we won't expect him while we're still recovering... Hey Ryu! Time to run, the dragon's coming back! Heading for the old base! Jack breaks into a sprint a whistles for his mount.