Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Article-writing that is the equivalent of "SELLING FOR A FRIEND excellent condition xyz etc" followed up with oh it's all busted and doesn't work right dang well that's too bad well I'll let my friend know good luck with that maybe take it to a gunsmith? nothing to do with me is lazy at best. Doubling down on it when it goes south is just dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Oh my God, reading this poo poo is like reading two rival high schoolers' Twitters. It's amazing. It's like an episode of Cops where everyone gets Tasered and thrown in jail for being stupid fucks.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Darth Freddy posted:

Trijicon does have this.
https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=CCAS

But it doesn't do speed yet and I don't think they sell it to civilians.

What I am waiting for is a new heavy round like 200-300 grain round that can break 3000fps. I would think with the new steels they are trying to make and the heavy ones like on the henery big boys they could move to it.

I just want a super speedy bullet.

There are a lot of existing cartridges that can push a 200-300gr high bc bullet at well over 3k fps???

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

gimpsuitjones posted:

There are a lot of existing cartridges that can push a 200-300gr high bc bullet at well over 3k fps???

I'm retarded I was thinking the swift was the fastest round at just over 3000 but it's over 4000.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I've seen and fired over 5200.

.22-243 with 30gr Bergers

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

gimpsuitjones posted:

I've seen and fired over 5200.

.22-243 with 30gr Bergers

What's the difference between that and a .22-250?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

thermobollocks posted:

What's the difference between that and a .22-250?

About 15 grains powder capacity

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

gimpsuitjones posted:

About 15 grains powder capacity

Hell yeah.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

5200fps results in rifling torn out in about 30 rounds...

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

gimpsuitjones posted:

jesus christ

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I need to find the photos of the sectioned barrel.

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

gimpsuitjones posted:

Oh god

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Well know what I want to do now.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Holy poo poo, that's faster than the .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer by nearly 700fps

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

that's literally a oval office hair off of a mile per second holy gently caress

How would you even get a barrel to last longer than 30 rounds? Ceramic liner and rifling? Switch to smoothbore barrel and fin stabilized discarding sabot rounds??

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I know another guy in NZ who has actually achieved 5300+fps from a .22-243 and 30gr Bergers... measured with an Oehler. He claimed that the barrel still shot well afterwards (with conventional 4000fps loads) but I haven't seen anything either way personally.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I tried to load mile per second rounds using 30 cal to 223 sabots in my 30-06. The quickload projections looked more like a pipe bomb than a rifle cartridge so I settled for like 4400 fps instead. The noise it made was unlike any gunshot I've ever heard, it had kind of a woooooosh to it in addition to the bang.

I eats my spinach
Jan 16, 2005

'sup gordon

charliebravo77 posted:

I tried to load mile per second rounds using 30 cal to 223 sabots in my 30-06. The quickload projections looked more like a pipe bomb than a rifle cartridge so I settled for like 4400 fps instead. The noise it made was unlike any gunshot I've ever heard, it had kind of a woooooosh to it in addition to the bang.

I remember those things, on top of having a weird report and being so inaccurate you were having trouble hitting a can at 50y I'm pretty sure they were actually louder than my compensated 16" FAL

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

that's literally a oval office hair off of a mile per second holy gently caress

How would you even get a barrel to last longer than 30 rounds? Ceramic liner and rifling? Switch to smoothbore barrel and fin stabilized discarding sabot rounds??

man you must love demi moore circa 1981

SirDrinksAlot
Aug 6, 2006

The wicked flee when none pursueth

Double barrel pump shotgun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IPdjp37uso

I may be late to the party but this is the first i've heard of it.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

SirDrinksAlot posted:

Double barrel pump shotgun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IPdjp37uso

I may be late to the party but this is the first i've heard of it.

It's no Remington 1740.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Sig has a metal 10mm
http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/sigs-new-220-10mm-bigger-better-shot-show-2015/

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

Which will be particularly interesting given 22X series bore heights.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

We knew this was coming but now we know a date, March. Cool

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Cyrano4747 posted:

Arstechnica has a similar review of that same thing up right now that really neatly threads that needle of acknowledging that the device is well built while flat out calling it snake oil. It's the audio equivilant of saying "look, if you believe crystals cure cancer this is a really shiny crystal "

People have been politely and scientifically calling out the Pono for almost three years now . This is how these things should be written: it's not insulting, but it also doesn't cross the road over to "ingratiating-with-a-but."

TopherCStone fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 4, 2015

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

thermobollocks posted:

It's no Remington 1740.

I shot one (I think it was that one, but the fore stock and rails went all the way to the muzzle) and it was fun in a sci fi movie sort of way, but I have no idea why you would want one beyond the "hey, cool" factor. Its definitely the answer to a question nobody asked.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I think the question is "how do we sell guns in a market already saturated with functional, cheap utility guns for any kind of reasonable working/survival scenario".

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

That's a good point. Modern business seems to be predicated on endless consumer spending, so you need to keep coming up with newer and weirder poo poo when your core product still gets passed down to grandkids.

I can't think of much more than guns and hand tools that are a lifetime purchase now.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Like the entire movie industry has become oriented around catering to nostalgia for 90s juvenalia so trying out making live-ammo Nerf blasters just seems eminently reasonable.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Like the entire movie industry has become oriented around catering to nostalgia for 90s juvenalia

Too bad they are terrible at it.

On a related note, I'm pleased to see modern replicas of some Not-Nazi-Guns like this unusual .22 Sharps 1874 rifle. I like seeing less common or contemporary firearms being copied, though these companies have yet to light upon my Dreyse needle gun-Chassepot rifle combo set idea. Still, A for effort.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene

Fun Shoe

Has anybody ever seen this thing before? Because dang, it looks absurd.

Called a bozo round, one shot attachment to pistols for cops to have a nonlethal projectile. Really just looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Optics chat- I can't find the article, and I am not sure if I saw it on here, but a former SF dude is working on the development of a completely new type scope, where the lenses are a flexible, almost liquid polymer that can instantly change magnification with the push of a button. It was all sciencey and poo poo, and sounded awesome.
And now I want a .22 Spencer Carbine.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

Called a bozo round, one shot attachment to pistols for cops to have a nonlethal projectile. Really just looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

Because not enough people have been shot when Deputy Bumblefuck meant to grab the taser.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

Holy poo poo that is an awful idea.

And how in the living gently caress is that supposed to work, anyways? Top loaded round is a really high-power blank?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I just came here to post that.

The bullet is captured by the bozo clown nose. http://www.alternativeballistics.com/how-it-works

Let's see, it's probably easy to confuse whether the device is on the gun or not (see cops who have accidentally confused their pistol with their completely different taser), a bullet is still being fired (so it will probably still meet the legal definition of lethal force), the bullet might not be captured completely or it might still be lethal even with the clown nose attached, the officer has to get the device attached properly and (potentially removed properly) under stress, the officer has no lethal option at all when the device is attached (unlike a separate taser), when used the device has to self-detach and not disable the gun in any number of hilarious possible failure modes, and the device needs to be able to be removed with one hand so the officer can holster his gun one-handed (or a handgun needs to be able to be holstered with the device attached.

Any other potential problems you can think of?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Craptacular posted:

I just came here to post that.

The bullet is captured by the bozo clown nose. http://www.alternativeballistics.com/how-it-works

Let's see, it's probably easy to confuse whether the device is on the gun or not (see cops who have accidentally confused their pistol with their completely different taser), a bullet is still being fired (so it will probably still meet the legal definition of lethal force), the bullet might not be captured completely or it might still be lethal even with the clown nose attached, the officer has to get the device attached properly and (potentially removed properly) under stress, the officer has no lethal option at all when the device is attached (unlike a separate taser), when used the device has to self-detach and not disable the gun in any number of hilarious possible failure modes, and the device needs to be able to be removed with one hand so the officer can holster his gun one-handed (or a handgun needs to be able to be holstered with the device attached.

Any other potential problems you can think of?

Assuming the gun+device is in a special holster that can accommodate both, you have the possibility of the nose getting knocked off the end (via frequent interactions with the beltbuckle of the officer's car if nothing else) and some poor fucker getting a bullet when the officer "only" intended to pop him with an allegedly less lethal clown nose.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Can't wait till some cop uses this, defaults to training and double-taps some guy.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Craptacular posted:

Can't wait till some cop uses this, defaults to training and double-taps some guy.

What about when officer Bumblefuck's fellow officers, after failing to see the bozo nose and see Bumblefuck fire and decide to NYC magdump into you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

This discussion is heading dangerously toward FTP thread closure territory.