Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
The idea that Silva was ever going to instamurk Diaz like he was James Irvin was always dumb. He came back from a horrific injury that should've ended him and won a fight against a pretty good fighter and for that he should be congratulated and not poo poo on. He didn't look his he used to years ago when he was younger and healthier, Diaz stoned, water wet, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Aurain posted:

Yushin Okami was a neat guy and Boetsch isn't as neat.

Actually, seeing a guy come out knowing he has to finish the fight because he lost the first 2 rounds and actually do it in a cool way is neat

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

MysteryNad posted:

FOTN: Leites/Boetsch POTN: Alves and Leites

drat I really wanted McCall to win Lineker's share of the FOTN bonus.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
What's all of this black Dana talk?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Duzzy Funlop posted:

dana announced that after extensive research into the matter on the internet he has realised he is transethnic

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Dangersim posted:

Ma nigga thiago

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i am happy that thiago Is Back

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Decades posted:

The idea that Silva was ever going to instamurk Diaz like he was James Irvin was dumb

there's a chance it would have happened if Diaz fought his usual fight. Diaz did a great job defensively, which we are not used to seeing. Despite the damage to his face he never really got hit with a clean punch throughout the fight.

freud mayweather fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Feb 1, 2015

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
That's actually kind of how I expected the fight to go. Diaz has always been super durable but I was surprised he had a smart gameplan and tried to make Anderson come to him.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I had a good night of sleep, and I'm glad to hear the main event was so well received

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Duzzy Funlop posted:

They had a press conference for everyone except for Anderson Silva and then they spent 15 minutes asking him the same questions and as he was leaving he got to the podium and said "any questions for black dana? anyone?" and then said "the next fight is going tobe ..." and then said just kidding and left.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Silva fought well, silva is cool, i <3 silva.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

he didn't totally seem like himself, tentative, but half of him seems to be more than enough against diaz' style. shutting down the volume punching hosed up diaz' whole rhythm, tendonitis or no tendonitis.

i have definitely seen nick get rocked before, how the hell does he not get knocked out all the time trying to block with his forehead

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Agreed posted:

how the hell does he not get knocked out all the time trying to block with his forehead

he aint no bitch

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Let's talk about how Diaz out clowned Silva. The opening minutes had me yelling at my tv and laughing. He put his back against the cage and basically mocked Silva in everyway possible in the first 2 minutes.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dangersim posted:

That's actually kind of how I expected the fight to go. Diaz has always been super durable but I was surprised he had a smart gameplan and tried to make Anderson come to him.

I feel the same way.

People have been asking me over the past week how the fight will go, will Diaz be murdered, will it be a Great Fight. I told them I expected it to be a strange, and possibly boring fight.

Diaz wisely tried to get Silva to lead. Didn't work, though Diaz landed quite a few punches to the face. Silva did like he does, staying out of range and not getting into brawls.

I would have liked to see more clinch work or any ground action at all. I didn't mind the fight myself the 1st round was loving hilarious.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

tesilential posted:

Let's talk about how Diaz out clowned Silva

It was hilarious and everything I wanted from the match, bar some crazy finish

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Diaz isnt really known for his vicious counterstriking so I dont get why silva didn't engage him more, I guess he was trying to frustrate diaz into committing.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
2 Guys 1 Plan

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

niethan posted:

Diaz isnt really known for his vicious counterstriking so I dont get why silva didn't engage him more, I guess he was trying to frustrate diaz into committing.

He didn't want to get taken down and he's nowhere near as good moving forward as he is at counter striking. Not to say that he's bad moving forward, he's just excellent at counter striking

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Card was fun, main event was fun, co-main was the worst but still wasn't nearly as bad as most bad PPV fights. no complaints, even brought my roommate along who hasn't watched UFC since when Tito was active and he enjoyed it

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I'm not sure if Nick's plan was to Silva Silva, or if he just didn't want to lead and taunted so he at least appeared active. Either way the GIF of him laying down is all over the loving place on twitter and it's great.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Aurain posted:

Yushin Okami was a neat guy and Boetsch isn't as neat.

Thank you

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Boestch actually is kinda cool, based on the time he slammed a guy and also the time he used ancient boxing technique to KO okami

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

david carmichael posted:

He didn't want to get taken down and he's nowhere near as good moving forward as he is at counter striking. Not to say that he's bad moving forward, he's just excellent at counter striking

yeah but when diaz is turning his back whats the downside of kicking him or something

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I called this long in advance. Everyone was swearing up and down that Silva was going to eat Diaz alive in the frist round.

That said the whole fight was amazing, from Nick's taunting at the beginning to Silva's :qq: at the end and Diaz consoling him. Glad he got his moral victory, and I hope he can now shake the spectre of Weidman's ownage over his head and retire with grace.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

niethan posted:

yeah but when diaz is turning his back whats the downside of kicking him or something

generally speaking it's a bad idea to try to figure something novel out in a fight rather than just go with what you planned on doing, since you've been doing that for a whole camp now and are probably really good at that but you probably didn't practice kicking a dude in the back one single time

i mean if he really really really wants you to do it, why give that to him? best case scenario you don't have that much to hit, if you're going to take a risk there I'd say risk a takedown... but the smart move is just keep doing your thing

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cuckoo posted:

I called this long in advance. Everyone was swearing up and down that Silva was going to eat Diaz alive in the frist round.

That said the whole fight was amazing, from Nick's taunting at the beginning to Silva's :qq: at the end and Diaz consoling him. Glad he got his moral victory, and I hope he can now shake the spectre of Weidman's ownage over his head and retire with grace.

At the time I thought it was hilariously uncharacteristic of Diaz to console Silva's tears of relief and joy but after he gave his extremely-Diaz speech about how he won the entire thing it made sense, he thought Silva was crying because of how brutally Diaz destroyed him lol

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Aesop Poprock posted:

At the time I thought it was hilariously uncharacteristic of Diaz to console Silva's tears of relief and joy but after he gave his extremely-Diaz speech about how he won the entire thing it made sense, he thought Silva was crying because of how brutally Diaz destroyed him lol

Hahahaha. loving what

How

Silva looked like he was 30 seconds into round 1 at the end of the fight and Diaz was a bloody mess. And this was Silva at like 40% efficiency.

Diaz is insane and I want to see more now :allears:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Maybe I have missed it, but if no one has GIF'd Mein's combat roll that is disgraceful. Ideally it'd be one GIFs followed by the liver liquidizing kick

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Cuckoo posted:

And this was Silva at like 40% efficiency.

we've never seen silva at 100% and weidman got lucky twice

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Cuckoo posted:

Hahahaha. loving what

How

Silva looked like he was 30 seconds into round 1 at the end of the fight and Diaz was a bloody mess. And this was Silva at like 40% efficiency.

Diaz is insane and I want to see more now :allears:

To be fair, Diaz showing damage is usually a poor metric for gauging who won a fight. Diaz pretty much gets cuts around his eyes if he walks into a draft because a box fan is running. It was even worse before he had his eye surgery, as I recall. Silva, on the other hand, is someone who shows little damage even when he gets clobbered throughout a fight.

This is not to say that Diaz won, because he clearly didn't.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
how did Alves look by the way? I've always enjoyed his fights but the play by play I read referred to Mein as "the larger man" which was funny to me given that Alves was too fat for 170 in his day

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

how did Alves look by the way? I've always enjoyed his fights but the play by play I read referred to Mein as "the larger man" which was funny to me given that Alves was too fat for 170 in his day

alves got the poo poo beaten out of him in round 1 but alves looked absolutely unfazed throughout. then he had the poo poo beaten out of him in round two before catching mein with a kick that sounded like it broke something and killing him. so,, terrible... good? i don't know.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Triticum Guzzler posted:

he got beat up until he won

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
All you need to know about the Alves fight was the first thing he said during the interview with Rogan was "Hey welterweight division: guess who's baaaaack?" and nobody in an arena of 13,114 spectators made a sound.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Cuckoo posted:

Silva looked like he was 30 seconds into round 1

To be fair he looked like this after getting punched in the face 300 times by Chael too.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Triticum Guzzler posted:

By larger, many people mean height/reach and not weight.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Mein looked great and Alves looked slow and not good until Mein rolled across the ring like a weirdo pretending to be a power ranger and Alves got so pissed by it he exploded his stomach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Triticum Guzzler posted:

how did Alves look by the way?

In the first round Mein controlled the range very well and outstruck Alves badly. It was very one-sided. At the end of the round Alves managed to get Mein's back to the fence and something must have clicked for him. When the second round started he immediately had success cutting off the octagon and forcing Mein back into the same position, where he wouldn't be able to control range. Mein had trouble circling out, to the point that he did a bizarre tactical somersault to escape, but Alves backed him up again and destroyed his ribcage with a horrifying body kick as he was trying to circle out. It's a mixed performance for both of them. Mein was much better than him in exchanges in the open, to the point that Alves was clearly outmatched, but Alves eventually won because of superior ringcraft.

It was a good fight.

niethan posted:

Diaz actually has a really dangerous lead hook off the counter, he uses it to great effect in a lot of fights. The best example is when he KOed Robbie Lawler. It doesn't look like a counterpunch in the same way as a Silva or Machida technique, because he forces it with his own offensive striking. He basically pushes forward and rattles off combinations, trying to force his opponent to come back at him, try to grapple, something to slow him, and that's when he leans back and comes over the top with it.

I don't think Silva was worried about that specifically, though. I doubt Diaz could have worked it effectively on somebody as good as Silva.

I would put Silva's inactivity down to three things-
1) He hates to lead, so when his opponent is tentative he becomes really inactive
2) Nobody, including Silva, expected Diaz to have such a conservative strategy
3) He was super anxious about fighting again, which is also why he started crying hysterically as soon as the decision was announced

• Locked thread