Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

What is the interface like - can it be played with a controller?

From the screenshots it also looks like it should make a fine tablet game too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Demiurge4 posted:

It depends on the size of the dungeon. A short dungeon doesn't let you rest, a medium will let you rest once and a large will presumably let you rest twice. The vestal is pretty decent but healing in general is a bit weak I think, I like to bring a tanky party and just smash my way through instead of trying to pitifully mitigate damage with heals.

The occultist is also a really good healer. His heal has a chance to cause bleed, but in my experience it's a very small chance so if you take a doctor along (or some bandages) the occultist is the ideal single-target healer/debuffer.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
My Plague Doctor was an alcoholic, and after a dungeon she decided never to drink again, so I had to put her in rehab. Game is fantastic.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Solomonic posted:

The occultist is also a really good healer. His heal has a chance to cause bleed, but in my experience it's a very small chance so if you take a doctor along (or some bandages) the occultist is the ideal single-target healer/debuffer.

I haven't had much chance to use him, sadly. The first one I got was killed in a manner best not described anywhere. My biggest issue right now is that I'm running out of decent quests. My "main" guys hit level 3 and now they won't join parties to kill the low tier bosses anymore so I have to build a new set of guys and get them to level 2.

I lost a good party to brigands in one dungeon. The big one has a whip attack that applies bleed to your entire party, the rogue has a double attack that does enormous damage and the gunner will also brutalize your party with a full party barrage. I haven't figured out an effective strategy to deal with them because the big guy takes up two spots and not a lot of single target attacks can hit the back line.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 31, 2015

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Demiurge4 posted:

I haven't had much chance to use him, sadly. The first one I got was killed in a manner best not described anywhere. My biggest issue right now is that I'm running out of decent quests. My "main" guys hit level 3 and now they won't join parties to kill the low tier bosses anymore so I have to build a new set of guys and get them to level 2.

I lost a good party to brigands in one dungeon. The big one has a whip attack that applies bleed to your entire party, the rogue has a double attack that does enormous damage and the gunner will also brutalize your party with a full party barrage. I haven't figured out an effective strategy to deal with them because the big guy takes up two spots and not a lot of single target attacks can hit the back line.

Suggestion for that last problem : plague doctor with the blinding powder? The one which disables the two in enemy back row. That might help you out.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I sent the masochist jester in to flagellate as a form of stress relief, and he came out no longer masochistic.

I guess he got it out of his system.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Solomonic posted:

I sent the masochist jester in to flagellate as a form of stress relief, and he came out no longer masochistic.

I guess he got it out of his system.

My brigand liked it so much he refuses to do anything but flagellate himself now.

And I didn't realize that plague doctor skill was a thing, I'll spec into it from now on.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Demiurge4 posted:

My brigand liked it so much he refuses to do anything but flagellate himself now.

And I didn't realize that plague doctor skill was a thing, I'll spec into it from now on.

Yeah, the plague doctor double-disable is a god send for dealing with the four brigand spawn, when you have the two gunners two ruffians. It only does 1 damage, but has a high stun chance - and hits both back row at the same time.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Holy gently caress, this looks incredible.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Why doesn't healing skills gain anything from upgrading? I feel as though healing in general should be buffed a bit.

[e] Aw man my virtuous vestal with nymphomania and a lazy eye died.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 31, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
How much money do they want for this?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So what item uses have people figured out so far? Holy water seems to work on pagan altars, confession stalls and skull piles. The key works on locked chests (but not the unlocked strongbox) and I've found use of torches for burning the piles of paper and it removes one bad trait for the cost of a torch. Herbal medicines also work on the alchemy bench.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Firstborn posted:

How much money do they want for this?

Unknown on steam EA price, but kickstarter was $15 (did NOT include early access if memory serves)

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
EA was included in the $20 tier for backers

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
My vestal died :v: so I've been forced to run a balls to the wall team. Sometimes I use an occultist but healing while bleeding feels like you're dumping water out of a sinking ship with buckets. Works well for Hellion though, she resists bleeds all day, and then if she does get bleed she can just cure herself with one turn.

I loving love the Hellion in general. And the Leper. And the Bounty Hunter. And the Crusader. They wreck faces HARD.

The Grave Robber feels weak. I get what they were going for, but she's just too weak right now all around.

Pavlov posted:

My Plague Doctor was an alcoholic, and after a dungeon she decided never to drink again, so I had to put her in rehab. Game is fantastic.

Demiurge4 posted:

:allears:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
So Occultist an Bounty hunter work really well together. Weakening Curse marks a target, which the BH can use for double damage.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The wisened hag boss is kind of a poo poo show. I'm not sure how to build a party strong enough to get through her dungeon AND beat her. She has ridiculous speed and will often do two moves per round as well as throw someone into the pot. Because the pot is size 2 you can't hit her with melee abilities. You also can't destroy the pot because it heals fully when someone is thrown back out of it and it has 28 HP. Every time I've tried hitting it she just throws someone in and that's that, so don't waste your time on the pot guys.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So if I don't have an opportunity to camp, is my only source of healing food? Because I rather naively ate all my food before I got a hunger event, not realizing that those would happen even if I'd been stuffing their faces literally moments before to keep their health up, and suddenly everyone was at death's door from hunger. :rolleyes:

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lotish posted:

So if I don't have an opportunity to camp, is my only source of healing food? Because I rather naively ate all my food before I got a hunger event, not realizing that those would happen even if I'd been stuffing their faces literally moments before to keep their health up, and suddenly everyone was at death's door from hunger. :rolleyes:

Yes, unless you have a character with healing abilities (like the vestal or occultist) which work only in combat. The mission overview shows a campfire symbol and a number, indicating the number of times you can camp there (which are chosen by you, so do so wisely.)

I saw one of the devs responding to a thread on the steam forum asking for a bit more ui clarity on camping and such, and they seemed in favour of doing so.

edit : What the hell are 'Ancestral' items?

Iymarra fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 31, 2015

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I think they're just super rare trinkets with good benefits and easier-to-swallow downsides.

e: Holy poo poo my Hellion is the toughest lady ever. She's been walking around with 100 stress this entire mission and nothing else seems to be fazing her. She's just wandering around looking for poo poo to kill and she doesn't give a poo poo at all about what the dungeon's trying to do.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 31, 2015

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Double post but there's a new build out now. Fixes some save bugs, Sanitarium quirk stacking, and other various crashes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shlapintogan posted:

I think they're just super rare trinkets with good benefits and easier-to-swallow downsides.

e: Holy poo poo my Hellion is the toughest lady ever. She's been walking around with 100 stress this entire mission and nothing else seems to be fazing her. She's just wandering around looking for poo poo to kill and she doesn't give a poo poo at all about what the dungeon's trying to do.

Yeah my Hellion regularly drops a clutch crit and kills somebody, then lets out a hearty laugh and a taunt which then lowers the stress of everybody in my party. She's amazing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Shlapintogan posted:

Double post but there's a new build out now. Fixes some save bugs, Sanitarium quirk stacking, and other various crashes.

My game on Steam says "update queued." Is there something I need to do to actually apply said update?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lotish posted:

My game on Steam says "update queued." Is there something I need to do to actually apply said update?

They just pushed a 1.9M update (after the 1.5M update earlier) if you try to play or of if you go to downloads and click the arrow it should force the download.

Just general Steam hiccups.

Nice to see the devs are working hard to make sure everything goes smoothly.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Yesssss, udate includes a mac build that seems to work.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Goddamn gently caress bandits. My party was doing great even after 5 rooms with about 80%. Then I run into the rear end in a top hat bandits and get fusilier crit for 7 on all my dudes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tagichatn posted:

Goddamn gently caress bandits. My party was doing great even after 5 rooms with about 80%. Then I run into the rear end in a top hat bandits and get fusilier crit for 7 on all my dudes.

Yeah they're brutal. They're not too hard to kill, but they're going to hurt you baaaaad before they go down.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh my god this game looks fantastic and now i want it

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Tollymain posted:

oh my god this game looks fantastic and now i want it

Gonna get this first thing Tuesday

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

My crusader got syphilis from a worm :stonk:

Ugh they do need to reduce the costs of the stress relief services and increase their efficiency. 1000+ each for only like 50% stress removal? Not cutting it.

Edit: Oh yeah, duh. Upgrades make them more effective. Okay.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 31, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, this game is proving really difficult for me not because of the short-term character death -- that's a thing, but I can deal -- but because of the long-term cost of keeping my adventurers functioning. I keep going broke.

I will say that emphasizing stuns has helped a LOT.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I feel like losing all the resources you buy when you win or lose is unfair. I just bought a bunch of supplies, got wrecked by bandits, and had to leave. Now I can't afford to rebuy and I'm pretty screwed.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This game is really good, and very mean when the RNG decides to give you a good loving.

Some enemies seem far more broken than others. The bandit ranged guys can do 8-10 damage to your entire party on a crit. I was literally on the last room of a pretty long run with everyone at 80%+ health and lowish stress with plenty of light, and one really exceedingly bad round resulted in a dead party member and everyone with 2-3 health.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

I feel like losing all the resources you buy when you win or lose is unfair. I just bought a bunch of supplies, got wrecked by bandits, and had to leave. Now I can't afford to rebuy and I'm pretty screwed.

Agreed. I'm not sure if the material cost of the un-used items is refunded or not. If not, I think it should be - or at least a percentage. A breakdown of items brought + cost vs what was obtained would also be handy. Nothing really complex, but just enough to see if a run is profitable or not.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Changing that would take away some of the strategy of the game. There'd be no pressure of trying to fit between "too little" and "too much".

EDIT: Also this game looks unstoppably baller, holy poo poo.

Snow Job fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 31, 2015

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Unfortunately I didn't back the game so I'll have to wait until Feb 3 but I watched some gameplay and drat, that narrator voice is so sexy.
I'm definitely going to buy it as soon as possible, I always wanted to play a psychological Lovecraft-ian roguelike like that.

How much content does the game have right now?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Snow Job posted:

Changing that would take away some of the strategy of the game. There'd be no pressure of trying to fit between "too little" and "too much".

Not really. You have limited inventory slots. Foot stacks to 12, torches to 8. If you go in a medium dungeon, and don't immediately find what you're looking for, you start having to drop stuff if you over-prepared.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
So how much Food and Torches should I be taking into dungeons? It seems I always run out and I ain't sure what the basic loadout should be

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I have no idea what to upgrade first. I guess I'll just click on stuff? :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

RIP Dismas, you were too good at shooting things. :(