Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
This game looks amazing. I will probably be getting it on open beta arrival - god bless disposable income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I really wish deeds were more common than they are. I need them to upgrade so many things but I just can't seem to find any, and missions in the Weald don't seem to be popping up.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

MotU posted:

So how much Food and Torches should I be taking into dungeons? It seems I always run out and I ain't sure what the basic loadout should be

I always overstock on Food and Toches (10 food, 5 torches.) Because getting a surprise round in combat makes alllll the difference.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I always bring at least one full stack of food, which gives enough for three hunger events. If I have to camp, I bring two full stacks so I can mitigate stress and recover health. I always bring 8 torches if I can help it, but try to keep the light level around Shadowy.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
This is the only Kickstarter game I almost pulled the trigger on. I was afraid they would end up with beautiful dark aesthetics on top of a shell of a repetitive Final Fantasyish battle mechanic. Thankfully, the gameplay looks solid too! Even though I usually don't buy or play early access games, I'm probably going to jump in on this one just to give a boost to their launch sales.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
You can recover from going broke by being a total bastard with new recruits - send them into dungeons, get some gold and then abandon quest. If they take too much stress, dismiss them and get more new recruits. There's no time limit to the game so far, so why not?

Keep torches fully light as much as possible just to avoid stress damage. That poo poo adds up.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What happens if you abandon a dungeon prematurely? I'm going to keep my first two dudes alive no matter what, even if it does mean I pussy out.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

What happens if you abandon a dungeon prematurely? I'm going to keep my first two dudes alive no matter what, even if it does mean I pussy out.

You get to keep the gold and heirlooms you picked up along the way, but you don't get the quest reward and your guys have a higher chance of picking up quirks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CommissarMega posted:

Demiurge4 posted:

You get to keep the gold and heirlooms you picked up along the way, but you don't get the quest reward and your guys have a higher chance of picking up quirks.

Also quitting adds stress to all party members. But its not a lot, so its definitely preferable to death.

Especially in the early game you do often need to withdraw before you're done.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

clockworkjoe posted:

You can recover from going broke by being a total bastard with new recruits - send them into dungeons, get some gold and then abandon quest. If they take too much stress, dismiss them and get more new recruits. There's no time limit to the game so far, so why not?

Keep torches fully light as much as possible just to avoid stress damage. That poo poo adds up.

Honestly, this is more or less how I've been running things to make money. My hardest choices seem to be running that extra room for enough gold to heal folks or calling it quits while i'm ahead. Also, gently caress selfish as an affliction. Honestly, i've lost pretty close to 9 dudes because someone pops selfish and spends all their turns passing or trading places. Still, good lord does it feel good when things are humming along.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

My grave robber went drinking down the pub and went on a bender, she's been missing for 2 weeks now. :ohdear:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So, uh. Don't hit the swine prince's little buddy :stare:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

So what item uses have people figured out so far? Holy water seems to work on pagan altars, confession stalls and skull piles. The key works on locked chests (but not the unlocked strongbox) and I've found use of torches for burning the piles of paper and it removes one bad trait for the cost of a torch. Herbal medicines also work on the alchemy bench.

A hellion used a torch on some books and got 84 stress (and then masochist) for feeling guilty about burning knowledge. :v:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

clockworkjoe posted:

Yeah I've started that. Didn't really appreciate how much difference the torch made till recently.

Also, found a bug. If you provision for a mission that needs camping, and exit out of provisioning, it will "resell" your free firewood for 500 gold.

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~
My nymphomaniac Leper gives me life :allears:

Too bad about syphilys he got from reading(?) that one book tho...

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
This sounds mighty interesting. I can't wait until February 3.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Innerguard posted:

I bought in at the $95 tier and I have no regrets. I've been playing constantly since I got my key, and I've lost three dudes so far.
High five $95 investment buddy, that was such a tempting reward tier :hfive: This is already proving itself as one of the few worth dumping that kind of Kickstarter money at, now I'm really excited about designing the trinket and character.

This game exceeded expectations already, which have been slowly raising to worryingly high levels.

I was feeling super smug because I got through the tutorial and first run without losing anyone, then the RNG gods and my hubris swung back around and I wiped two entire parties in the same place.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The time finally comes, I download the game... and I find myself staring at the Red Hook studios logo, as the narration continues without the animation that's supposed to be there.

I tried disinstalling it and reinstalling it again, but now there's not even that, I'm just staring at a black screen. I can click on what I assume is a menu if I interrupt it, but since I can't see jack poo poo, it doesn't really help.
What am I missing here?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Did you try hitting a key on the keyboard? It sounds like you may have other problems if the animation isn't there, but there's at least once before the menu screen where it won't do anything until you hit a key, mouse clicks don't seem to register.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Yeah, when I first started it up I got a black screen that if I clicked acted like it wasn't responding until I hit something on the keyboard, then it gave me a "hit space or click mouse" prompt.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Did you try hitting a key on the keyboard? It sounds like you may have other problems if the animation isn't there, but there's at least once before the menu screen where it won't do anything until you hit a key, mouse clicks don't seem to register.

I did, and I think it interrupted the cutscene, because the narration stopped and music started playing. But since the screen doesn't change I still can't play.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

paradoxGentleman posted:

I did, and I think it interrupted the cutscene, because the narration stopped and music started playing. But since the screen doesn't change I still can't play.
Can you verify the steam cache? Is it a steam early release, or just a standalone?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

Can you verify the steam cache? Is it a steam early release, or just a standalone?

It's a Steam early release. I tried verifying the steam cache, but it still doesn't work.

Xmas Dumpster Fire
May 29, 2001

Saw this being played on GiantBomb last night and it looks fantastic, and ill be buying it on release day. A question I have, what are you working towards, what exactly is the end-game?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Xmas Dumpster Fire posted:

Saw this being played on GiantBomb last night and it looks fantastic, and ill be buying it on release day. A question I have, what are you working towards, what exactly is the end-game?

Purifying your ancestral home of all evil influences freed by your ancestor via liberal application of sellswords and mercenaries.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I didn't back this, but not from lack of interest - I was concerned it'd be style over substance.

Very happy about the positive gameplay impressions, going to keep an eye on this and if it's actually a solid tactical roguelike on top of the sweet style, I'm all over it.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

paradoxGentleman posted:

It's a Steam early release. I tried verifying the steam cache, but it still doesn't work.

Try this:

-Darkest Dungeon Properties
-Set Launch Options
-size 1280 720

or disable steam overlay.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Innerguard posted:

Try this:

-Darkest Dungeon Properties
-Set Launch Options
-size 1280 720

or disable steam overlay.

I have no idea why, but it now works!
Thank you Innerguard, I'll name my first Crusader after you.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

paradoxGentleman posted:

I have no idea why, but it now works!
Thank you Innerguard, I'll name my first Crusader after you.

Give me a good death!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Innerguard posted:

Give me a good death!

This is going to be a good game for X-com style LPs.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

It seems like I spoke too soon: after the tutorial mission, the screen went black again. I moved the mouse at random and clicked, and I think I triggered something, because I heard that typewriter-like sound that is heard when something gets written in videogames. I closed the game and now I'm back to square one, with the cutscene narration but without the cutscene.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 31, 2015

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Figures this is the one loving Kickstarter I didn't back because I was tired of getting burned. Oh well, guess I'll buy the early access.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

paradoxGentleman posted:

It seems like I spoke too soon: after the tutorial mission, the screen went black again. I moved the mouse at random and clicked, and I think I triggered something, because I heard that typewriter-like sound that is heard when something gets written in videogames. I closed the game and now I'm back to square one, with the cutscene narration but without the cutscene.

Well, of course. It's the darkest dungeon.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
This game is loving stressful. For the player, I mean.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Magitek posted:

Been watching streamers play this for a while. So much frustration, it's fantastic (to watch)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dackel posted:

Been watching streamers play this for a while. So much frustration, it's fantastic (to watch)

I'm watching Brotatoe (what the hell?) playing right now and his stress level has gone up progressively since he wiped a party on the hag. He had so much gold too but failed like 6 retreat attempts. Poor guy kept hitting the pot. To be fair I only beat the hag because my highwayman got a 36 crit on the first shot.

Whats cool is that the devs show up in the chat occasionally and answer questions. Between this and That Which Sleeps I think this is going to be a good year :D

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

High five $95 investment buddy, that was such a tempting reward tier :hfive: This is already proving itself as one of the few worth dumping that kind of Kickstarter money at, now I'm really excited about designing the trinket and character.

This game exceeded expectations already, which have been slowly raising to worryingly high levels.

I was feeling super smug because I got through the tutorial and first run without losing anyone, then the RNG gods and my hubris swung back around and I wiped two entire parties in the same place.

I only backed at the $20 level so I'd get the game + early access, but I bought the art book a la carte for another $20 and I'm so loving glad I did, because an art book for this game is going to be insane.

I'm regretting not backing at a level that gets me the exclusive class, though. I really hope they'll offer it as DLC later, but would that be a dick move to the backers?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm watching Brotatoe (what the hell?) playing right now and his stress level has gone up progressively since he wiped a party on the hag. He had so much gold too but failed like 6 retreat attempts. Poor guy kept hitting the pot. To be fair I only beat the hag because my highwayman got a 36 crit on the first shot.

Whats cool is that the devs show up in the chat occasionally and answer questions. Between this and That Which Sleeps I think this is going to be a good year :D

I've switched to a low view stream, he's doing pretty well, he's beaten all but the final incarnations of the bosses. I just needed a quieter stream that didn't over-hype/super-welcome new subs for a while

Can't wait to get this game though, holy poo poo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Since upgrading the tavern (or church) gives you both more slots and makes them cheaper, it seems like a good idea to focus on one particular slot (say the bar) and upgrade it as far as you can.

Then you can put 3 people into that slot, and each one will be at a heavy discount.

The only problem is then if people develop aversions to that form of therapy, but you can always take them to the sanitarium!

They need to let you skip the tutorial once you've played it once if this is supposed to be a roguelike. Starting a new game needs to get rolling faster, maybe make a different mode where you're allowed to pick your 4 starting classes and then it dumps you on the town screen with everything already unlocked. That'd be nice. Also considering we can't savescum for this game at all.

Magitek posted:

Yeah seriously. I love how small the health values are, so the game is constantly tense. A single critical hit from the enemy or a couple misses in the row by the party can mean a sudden huge shift in morale. Its extremely tense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah seriously. I love how small the health values are, so the game is constantly tense. A single critical hit from the enemy or a couple misses in the row by the party can mean a sudden huge shift in morale. Its extremely tense.

And once they go insane and fail resolve, the run is pretty much cut short. Soooo much stress damage from the talking, not to mention the bad combat (debuff/passing/selfhurting etc).

Can't wait to get my hands on it :)