Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Magni posted:

So, kind of a double post (is it when it's been over 2 weeks?), but we're getting a boardgame now! :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yxzm868v3A

Hellion was in rank 2 instead of 1, 0/10. Shame that its Mythic Games though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/darkest-dungeon-2/home

Looks like it's going to be in Epic EA. I'd say bummer, but last time this happened with a game I kinda cared about, it was Phoenix Point, so maybe I'll just end up saving money. :v:

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Hm..

The teaser from last? year was on a mountain and icy, this is some form of destroyed buildings. I do hope they haven't abandoned the initial setting
Call me picky but also querying their choices for characters to show - showing the man at arms and occultist is good, shows it isnt just base heroes from DD1 but people liked Reynauld and Dismas.
You gonna show the highwayman but not the crusader? :/

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
That trailer looks like it could literally be for DD1, so I can’t say I’m psyched

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Slightly baffling tbh

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Iymarra posted:

The teaser from last? year was on a mountain and icy, this is some form of destroyed buildings. I do hope they haven't abandoned the initial setting

Looks like it's a post-apocalyptic kick, so could very well still be headed in the same direction as the previous teaser. No fixed base, traveling through ruined cities and wilderness to reach whatever macguffin, etc

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I liked that teaser but if it's not going to be on Steam then I'm probably not buying the sequel. Unfortunate.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
From the trailer, I'm hoping maybe we're getting 3D graphics in the same style as DD1.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The trailer was so nothing that I wasn't sure it wasn't something old with the Epic Store logo slapped on at the end, honestly.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
DD 2 doesn't make sense. It can't be darker than the darkest.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Wait until you hear about Final Fantasy.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

From the official discord:

quote:

How long will it be exclusive to EGS?
On PC, Darkest Dungeon 2 will be exclusive to EGS during its time in Early Access. The 1.0 will release on other PC storefronts.

Will it come to consoles, and when?
We have not finalized our console plans yet.

When in 2021 will Early Access launch?
We’ll communicate an exact date when we’re ready, but it will be no earlier than mid year.

How long will it be in early access?
Darkest Dungeon 1 was in EA for 11.5 months. We find the yearlong period to be a good goal which allows for lots of additions and refinements but also doesn’t become a perpetual Early Access product. However, part of the benefit of Early Access is being able to adjust a bit to feedback, so we aren’t fixing that duration in stone at this time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

odiv posted:

Wait until you hear about Final Fantasy.

That has honestly bothered me for a very long time

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

:eng101: It's called that because Tetsuya Nomura only wanted to work on sci-fi games, famously telling his boss "No more fantasy games. This is the final fantasy game I make."

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the people on their twitter post complaining and saying "EGS, fail" seem to forget that one of the highest rated, if not the highest rated game in 2020, Hades, did the exact same thing: early access on EGS and then launched across a variety of platforms once it exited beta phase. Having just early access exclusivity doesn't seem like a big deal.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SkeletonHero posted:

:eng101: It's called that because Tetsuya Nomura only wanted to work on sci-fi games, famously telling his boss "No more fantasy games. This is the final fantasy game I make."

This is probably a joke but Nomura didn't have anything to do with the NES games, or the first in particular.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

It's a common misbelief. Actual truth is that they wanted to call it "Fighting Fantasy" but there were potential copyright issues with the name, so they replaced "Fighting" with "Final" because it was popular and they wanted the abbreviation to be FF.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I thought it was because Square was almost bankrupt, so it was going to be their final game unless it sold well?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

whydirt posted:

I thought it was because Square was almost bankrupt, so it was going to be their final game unless it sold well?

Also common story and technically a true fact, but not the reason for the name.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Curse you, uncle who works at Nintendo!!! :argh:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

DD 2 doesn't make sense. It can't be darker than the darkest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSkGtW-fQ3s&t=47s

Darkest Dungeon II: Darkerest Dungeon

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

DLC Inc posted:

the people on their twitter post complaining and saying "EGS, fail" seem to forget that one of the highest rated, if not the highest rated game in 2020, Hades, did the exact same thing: early access on EGS and then launched across a variety of platforms once it exited beta phase. Having just early access exclusivity doesn't seem like a big deal.

It seems like early access on EGS is a boon as long as you don't need a constant cash flow. A high-profile game doing a full release on steam gets both full release-day press (in a way that games leaving EA on Steam don't) and great word of mouth from the EGS audience.
Assuming the game is good enough to accrue fans, anyway.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

I hope the game is 3D this time around as the teaser trailer implies. Those models looked cool.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Did he say "the gutters brim with poets"?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

rydiafan posted:

Did he say "the gutters brim with poets"?

Yep. "The Gutters brim with poets, and decency lies burning in the street."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
oh no poor Leper :ohdear:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I wonder when they went to just using "Darkest Dungeon 2".

Didn't they originally tease a sequel that was set on a mountain called "The Howling End"?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Drewjitsu posted:

Yep. "The Gutters brim with poets, and decency lies burning in the street."

Is there a metaphor in missing, or is it just "for some reason I'm specifically calling out that people who practice one particular art form have died in droves, and that means apocalypse"?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Fabricated posted:

I wonder when they went to just using "Darkest Dungeon 2".

Didn't they originally tease a sequel that was set on a mountain called "The Howling End"?

I think the teaser itself was titled 'The Howling End.'

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

rydiafan posted:

Is there a metaphor in missing, or is it just "for some reason I'm specifically calling out that people who practice one particular art form have died in droves, and that means apocalypse"?

I think the idea is more generally "culture* is dead", but yeah it's not great writing

*and also the Leper

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

rydiafan posted:

Yeah, "poets in the gutter" suggests the fall of civilization, as if there is no room for art, then society has been reduced to barbarism.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

That's not bad, though. As art goes, poetry evokes that Victorian-esque feeling that goes around with the stagecoach and all.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
The fact that we don't see the crusader or the vestal, with the Man-At-Arms and the Occultist in their place, PLUS the enemy cultists having a 'fire' theme and white markings on their black hoods, makes me wonder if the church of the sacred flame/'The Light'/ The religious heroes have collectively *lost their poo poo* and turned into some kind of death cult.

DawntoDust
Dec 11, 2006

Glory is Fleeting,
Obscurity is Forever
Kinda feeling like someone was playing on Stygian and fed too many adventurers to the dungeon.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The 3D models are really cool but people are already whining about how hard it'll be to make anime tiddy Lepers when the model and animations are likely to be much more elaborate.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hard, but not impossible. Anime titty modders will find a way.

Because it's darkest dungeon "Cruel machinations spring to life with a singular purpose!"

Also, I'm cool with EGS giving them money in exchange for exclusive EA.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

You'll never guess who the protagonist of The Legend of Zelda is.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Cobbsprite posted:

It's a common misbelief. Actual truth is that they wanted to call it "Fighting Fantasy" but there were potential copyright issues with the name, so they replaced "Fighting" with "Final" because it was popular and they wanted the abbreviation to be FF.
Should have made it an official tie in with the Steve Jackson RPG.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

jokes posted:

Also, I'm cool with EGS giving them money in exchange for exclusive EA.

I'm annoyed by this, honestly. I understand that Steam would have wanted a bigger cut and by going with Epic they can support their efforts better, but it's disappointing. I got into the game when it was early access and was looking forward to doing that with the sequel. But now I'll have to get it through Epic if I don't want to wait a year and buy a SECOND copy through Steam when it is released? Bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.
Griftlands was also EA on EGS exclusively; Klei gave EA buyers a steam key once the game was released on steam. Maybe this will be similar?