Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
:siren: IF YOU HAVE NOT LINKED YOUR ACCOUNT YET CLICK AND READ HERE TO MAKE SURE YOU'RE LINKING THE RIGHT ONE :siren:

Steam store link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/6370/

There's an official in-game channel for goons under "cute" where you can ask questions or find partners for matchmaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXSrkJNNLfU

What is this?

Bloodline Champions is a 2 to 10 player fighting game. Funcom decided to market it as a moba, which is entirely inaccurate: There are no levels, there is no exp, there's no creeps... it has more in common with a fighting game like Street Fighter or WoW Arena than a moba. Matches are short, usually played for a best of three, with individual rounds being anywhere from incredibly fast 15-20 second slaughter fests, to more drawn out rounds lasting up to 2 minutes before a "sudden death" kicks in to force end a round. There's four different bloodline archetypes to play as: Tanks, Healers, Melee Damage Dealers, and Ranged Damage Dealers, although team comps vary depending on what size match you're playing; not every 3v3 team is going to have a healer, and nothing is going to stop you from running a triple tank team if that's what you want. Class names are simply the rule, not the exception; most healers are fairly tanky due to having more disables and having direct heals, plenty of tanks can have extreme burst in addition to having the most crowd control, and so on. Almost everything is a skillshot, minus a few friendly cast buffs; even heals need to be aimed well to get the most potency out of them!

I remember this game, isn't it dead?

http://steamcharts.com/app/6370#All

The game is currently seeing the most activity it's ever seen since just before the controversial trait/medallion patch, because Funcom has up and left and Stunlock Studios are in direct control of their game again. There's no major plans for updates or balance changes, but nothing is ruled out either; Stunlock has a huge affection for this game and went out of their way to run the servers on their own again when Funcom dropped everything. The take home message is pretty clear though: If this game was ever going to see a revival or a chance at a second life, now is the time to show Stunlock this game isn't dead! If you've ever enjoyed it or you're just interested, download it and play a few games for old times' sake!

For returning bittervets, there is some more bright news. As a consequence of Stunlock leaving, they've redone shop prices, and blood coins can now only be spent on Bloodlines and Medallions/Gems. Bloodlines vary from 6000-9000 blood coins, and between $2 to a little over $2.50. Plus, anyone who logs in for the next two weeks (Jan 28th-Feb 11th) will get a free blood coin booster and a free exp booster! This means you'll get around 300-400 blood coins per match, and can pretty quickly rack up quite a few unlocked Bloodlines or Gems/Medallions in just a few hours of play time!

If you're feeling in the mode to be a little exploity, private games now give 90% of the blood coins/exp of regular matches, up from 25%. This means that you can idle in a game with yourself and 4 bots vs 5 other bots on one of the slow modes like Capture the Flag, making around 3000 blood coins an hour for literally zero effort and computer resources (blc uses like, 60mb of ram, it's amazing) with no cap on blood coins thanks to the booster!

Traits and medallions suck

I'm with you, bittervet. The bright side is that it's ridiculously easy to get all the gems and medallions in less than a day thanks to the current blood coin generation.

My old account...?

Check the email you made the account with. You should have a message with a code to link your old account to your Steam account. If you broke something, Stunlock currently is using the Steam Community page for the official support forums. http://steamcommunity.com/app/6370/discussions/

Foodchain also explains how to figure out which account is the correct one before you link here! here!

Countblanc has a really good guide to all the different Bloodlines here!

For less general, more specific info on individual bloodlines, check Baako's Rave!

https://baakosrave.wordpress.com/guides/blc/

Minera fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
I remember this....It was awesome.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Seriously? I loved this game to bits, and I thought Stunlock had abandoned it working on publisher sponsored titles like that Dead Island game.

I'll check it out, see if it's not dead anymore. When I quit playing, peak server population was something like 100 Americans and 400 Europeans.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I tried to play this earlier but I kept getting some weird Microsoft XNA error. it told me to manually install it and that gave me an error as well. The gently caress?

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
This is an incredible game, coming from someone that generally gets too frustrated at competitive multiplayer to enjoy it. It's utterly criminal it ended up being ruined by poor management, so I really hope this gets big.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

A lot of people blame the game's failure on bad management, but I think there's more to it. Like fighting games, BLC isn't beginner-friendly at all. People respond to this and, like fighting games, BLC doesn't have many players.

I mean yeah funcom is awful and the league of legends system is dumb (though I didn't hate it as much as everyone else because it made the game faster by giving everyone more damage and move/attack speed), but a lot of games survived and thrived despite horrible management.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

I'll give this an install, I played it way back when and was awful. Hit me up Minrad and we'll have a go ;*

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I've been having fun playing the game. The grind2win system isn't quite that bad -- on principle it's awful of course, but in practice it's just a gently caress-you to new players and at level 25 you get Enough Of Everything anyway that it doesn't really overly affect how much you play.

Heavy neutrino posted:

A lot of people blame the game's failure on bad management, but I think there's more to it. Like fighting games, BLC isn't beginner-friendly at all. People respond to this and, like fighting games, BLC doesn't have many players.

I mean yeah funcom is awful and the league of legends system is dumb (though I didn't hate it as much as everyone else because it made the game faster by giving everyone more damage and move/attack speed), but a lot of games survived and thrived despite horrible management.

You're right, but what especially stung was that a lot of players were convinced that just releasing the game on Steam would give it a sizable player population, fighting game or no. You just needed a consistent audience, it didn't need to be huge or anything.

They did.

But not before they added traits/medallions to the game. So the reaction was pretty :geno:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Installing... interested in seeing how the game has changed/not changed.

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!
Yes!

I got the email a couple days ago, and this thread confirms that the game is back. I stopped playing even before they introduced medalions and gems. I noticed some bloodlines abilities are totally different than what I remember. Also, I jumped into a quick easy bot game as Psychopomp, and proceeded to get stomped, so its gonna take a bit to get back into the swing of things.

I'm just very happy to see this game make a comeback, it totally deserves it.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
No more Funcom? This just got waaaaaaaay better, in my opinion!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
oh my god

Alright well BLC is the best game ever made so I'm just gonna repost my Beginner Guide from one of the old threads (here if you have archives, lots of good other info):

So you wanna learn how to roll with the best, eh? Well son, you gotta crawl before you can walk, and in the case of BLC, you gotta land M1s before you can make a 3v1 clutch comeback. So let's jump right in to it!

Please note that the reason some bloodlines have less written about them isn't because they're less involved, or bad, or whatever; there's just a ton of them so there's a handful I'm not terribly experienced with.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bloodlines (divided by role)

Melee DPS

Melee DPS bloodlines are your bread and butter damage dealers. They rely heavily on getting in range to do their deeds, and those deeds are "pressuring" (a fancy word for making people do stupid poo poo out of panic/necessity) and damage. More than any other role they require strong positioning and knowing exactly what the other bloodlines are capable of, due to their lower HP and reliance on close range.

Harbringer

Harbs are the token "battle mage" class (I'm just gonna call them classes from now on), and are probably the beefiest MDPS. They can infect enemies with a disease that allows the Harb to regenerate health whenever they hit a diseased foe with their M1, they have a strong teleport ability, and a Death Grip move which is excellent for peeling or grabbing an enemy for your team to collapse on. Their trademark ability is Shadow Bolt, which makes a very distinctive whooshing sound when he's charging it, and does extreme amounts of damage, as well as makes the victim vulnerable for a few seconds.

Ranid Assassin

Ranids hop around like spazzes. They're the most rogue-esque of the classes, complete with slowing poisons, stuns, and a short cloak. They're extremely mobile and knowing when to engage and when to retreat (and when to juke that you're retreating when you actually plan on jumping right back in) are all important parts of their tool kits. They don't really have a trademark ability outside of their goomba stomp, but they're most known for being really loving annoying and making clutch comebacks if played properly. Definitely require a team made around them to really do well outside of a few top players.

Ravener

Raveners are right up there with Harbs for being hard to take down, but instead of it being through regenerating health, it's through being a badass and knocking poo poo around, as well as a very potent spike shield that reduces damage and hurts whoever attacks it. She also have a weird stun mechanic tied to her M1 where, if she manages to hit someone with it who was near the impact point of her space ability, they'll be stunned for .25s. Their trademark ability is Spinning Strike, which is a channeled short-range melee AoE that you can move during, and more importantly it reflects all projectiles, including incoming enemy heals on your victim.

Reaver

Reavers, aka Cloud Strife, are masters of melee CC. Their bottle toss is a fantastic way to limit enemy healing and damage (as well as providing some minor healing for you), the double kick is a wonderful tool for keeping people out of the fight, and the chain and jump are two of the best initiation tools available to melee DPS classes. They have some difficulty with survivability though, so make sure you don't get tunnel vision and crumple under pressure! Your trademark move is Drunken Brawler, a huge cleaving melee attack that rushes you forward and can't be stopped by any form of CC. Yikes!

Spear Master

A long time ago, Spear Master was one of the least played classes. I pine for those days. The Spear Master is a hyper-mobile MDPS who has some nasty CC options, specifically his Whirling Blade, which incapacitates everyone in a large AoE around you for almost two seconds. Their most infamous skill is their Ult, which is pretty much the reason teams bother to run them in the first place - it's a high-damage channeled whirlwind that makes you immune to any and all movement impairing efects and increases your movement speed, it's a great tool for synchronizing ults with your team.

Headhunter

Headhunters are what you get when you cross Ranid Assassin's mobility and speed with Harbinger's self-healing. Unfortunately he doesn't really have the utility that either offers, but instead you're left with a deceptively complicated class that bounces around the battlefield cleaving and slashing with the game's fastest unbuffed M1 (I think). His heals and AoE burst require some bizarre setup via his bleeding debuff he can put on enemies through several abilities, but once he's rolling he can burst like a motherfucker. He was buffed significantly in the most recent patch, and top players have voiced a good deal of fear about his new-found powers. His most notable ability is Harvest Blood, which is both your biggest AoE damage and healing option that resets its own cooldown when you consume your bleed debuff.

Stalker
Stalkers are basically Subtly Rogues, they teleport a lot and do more damage post-teleport. They're a very control-heavy melee class, and have several projectiles that do weird things like slow the target while speeding yourself up, and make them vanish into an alternate dimension for a few seconds. Stalkers have risen in popularity recently, mostly because they do crazy huge damage these days. Their most well-known ability is Puncturing Strike, where the dash back and forth in a straight line and damage/incapacitate anyone in their path for 1 second. A lot of teams like to use this to line up huge damage, like the Igniter's volcano thing.

Ranged DPS

Everyone knows what RDPS classes are about; doing damage and zoning while avoiding the melee. They typically don't have the raw burst that MDPS have, outside of Ults and a few exceptions that I'll get to later, but their damage is generally safe and they usually have plenty of aggressive control options. Note: RDPS and Healers cannot use their M1s while moving like MDPS and tanks can.

Igniter

Igniters do damage. Lots and lots of damage. They're basically the definition of "hit your M1s and M2s to win." They also have a lot of strong defensive cooldowns such as a teleport, an AoE stun/damage thing (which is INSANE by the way), and a thing where they phase out and take no damage. Their trademark skill is Fire Storm, which is that M2 I mentioned - you launch three consecutive fireballs for 180 damage each over 1.4 seconds, and each of those fireballs inflicts Ignite which does ANOTHER 120 damage over 6 seconds. Yeah.

Gunner

Like Igniter, Gunner is a very straightforward class with powerful tools, but cranked up a bit. They're the only class outside of the melee rogues that can cloak, and they typically use this very aggressively to juke and bait targets. They lack the raw defensive tools that an Igniter has, but instead have more crippling debuffs such as their AoE blind and a slow/spell lock shot. Their trademark skill is Execute, which is a long-ish casting ability that makes a very distinctive rifle priming sound effect, followed shortly by a shot that does HUGE damage (440 initially) that pierces targets and deals 40% less damage for each additional target it hits. The sound effect alone is enough to get people to pop defensive cooldowns if you're cloaked, and you don't even have to follow through!

Nomad

Nomads, as their name suggests, are the most mobile of the RDPS classes. They also have cute mohawks. Nomads chuck boomerangs which have fairly limited range as far as RDPS M1 abilities go, but they have large hit boxes and double-back to deal damage a second time (or just do any damage if you whiffed the first hit). They have a few nice control options, and a fun ability which increases their movement speed and allows them to throw boomerangs while moving which is excellent for both escaping and pursuing people. Their trademark ability is Tornado Call, where they throw a whirlwind at a guy (don't ask) and if it connects their victim is stuck in a vortex for 3 seconds where they cannot be affected by enemy or ally - think a druid's Cyclone from WoW.

Engineer
Engy is cool and the most versatile RDPS. Unlike his counterparts in, well, basically every other modern game, he doesn't build automatons that aim for him, because he's not a sissy idiot baby. He, like the Nomad, as a relatively limited range on his M1, and it has a spread (it's a shotgun, and is the strongest RDPS M1 if every pellet hits), so he generally plays closer to mid-range. If you name a tool, the engineer has it; an AoE slow, a strong escape option, an aggressive dispel, a defensive dispel, a movement speed boost he can grant to himself or allies, and damage. The issue is knowing when and where to use each of them. His trademark ability is Concussion Shot, which is the longest hard-CC effect in the game at a whopping 2.7 seconds, and with huge range.

Seeker
Seekers are elemental archers that have a huge number of control options, and absurd AoE damage to boot. Their M1 has a unique mechanic called Seeker's Grace where it builds a buff on you every time you hit with one, up to three times. Once you have three stacks it makes your next non-trance ability not consume it's cooldown, so you can, for example, fire off two Fire Arrows consecutively to lay down a lot of AoE damage, or two Earth Arrows to regen some health and lay down some solid CC. They don't really have a single unique ability because all their poo poo is strong and versatile, but most people generally know them for Ice Arrow, which is the thing that turns you into a block of ice and slows you in an AoE.

Stormcaller

By the will of the O Father, the Mighty Stormcaller cometh. Stormcaller has a very unique toolkit that makes his exact gimmick hard to nail down, but if I had to pick something I'd say ranged AoE sustained damage. He has a mechanic called "static" that is applied via his M1 ability, and it causes anyone affected by it to take damage when a nearby ally is struck with Stormcaller's M1 (which is fairly easy, since his M1's bolt is loving huge). He has a few other interesting options like his teleport - and fantastic EX variation - but they don't really follow a theme outside of wind and lightning. His trademark skill is Hailstorm, which is a ground-targeted AoE that does light damage and snares anyone inside of it, but anyone who remains inside until the very end is struck by a powerful bolt for high damage and stunned.

Tanks

Tanks in BLC are less about wanting to get clobbered in place of their companions (though they do have the most health), and more about making that damage not happen in the first place and helping teams focus on single targets. This can be through shields, minor healing, or CC, it just depends on which hulking behemoth you go with. For the most part tanks deal about as much damage as a DPS class, they just can't do it "on demand" and require setup through unique mechanics.

Glutton

Fat fucks who can grip people who get away from them, Gluttons are a fairly easy bloodline for newbies to pick up. They're one of the more aggressive tanks, and their M1 reflects this by applying Armor Break which makes the target more vulnerable to all damage for a short period (a total of +18% more after stacking 3 times, in fact). They have a strong charge ability that also buffs their speed upon reaching its destination, a death grip-style projectile, and a weird CC where they clobber a dude with a piece of meat to incapacitate them and then they eat the ham to restore a bit of health. Their trademark ability is Earth Storm, which is an AoE field of dust that reduces all damage received for any allies inside of it, reduces the movement speed of any enemies inside of it, and significantly reduces the travel speed of any enemy projectiles that pass through it, including heals.

Guardian
Guardian is basically a retribution paladin from WoW. They have some light healing abilities (it used to be significantly more until Chain Heal was turned into an EX ability), a strong damage barrier they can put on any ally, and a very strong trance that both acts as an escape and a silence. They also have some weird mobility in the form of Intervene, which is a charge that refreshes its cooldown if you bump into an ally with it as well as healing them a little, or inflicting armor break on an enemy if you hit them instead. Her trademark ability is actually her M1, which turns into a very high damage 90 degree cleave when you have 4 stacks of Judgment; you start with 4, and consume them whenever you M1 with a full stack. They build automatically at a rate of one every 2.5 seconds, and you also get a full stack when you hit an ally with Intervene.

Vanguard

Vanguards are the cliche warrior tank, but they're still cool as hell. They have a mechanic called Fury which you build through certain abilities and it turns your M1 into a very high damage ability (stronger than any other class' other than a full damage Engineer meatshot, I think). He has a cool shield bash ability that significantly reduces all damage and healing the target does for the next few seconds, which is great for putting on a healer that you want your team to collapse on, or for saving an ally who is getting beaten down. He actually has two trademark abilities, sort of - his Ult is widely considered one of the worst in the game, but both of his EX moves are absolutely fantastic. One of them charges a long distance and pulls any enemy you run into along for the ride which is an amazing peeling tool, and the other is an AoE heal that also slows any nearby enemies and gives you a stack of Rage for each enemy hit.

Thorn

Based around self-healing, CC and fantastic mobility. Thorns used to be a lot more irritating than they currently are, so all you new folks reading this should count yourselves lucky. Thorn is a very defensive tank, with a variety of weird heals, snares, and incapacitates. Even his shield is an incap - when any enemy strikes you or an ally currently effected by it, they and any nearby allies of theirs are incapped by vines for ~1.5 seconds, not to mention the fact that it converts all damage the attack would have done into a 50% heal (ie. if you'd have taken 100 damage, you'd instead be healed for 50). I can't really think of a trademark ability for Thorn, he just has a lot of strong tools that are hard to use poorly. Also I play him.

Inhibitor
I was temped to simply write "gently caress Inhibitor" for his entry due to how much havok he caused recently, but thanks to the newest patch he's no longer the metagame-destroying monster he was for the rest of the season. Inhibitor is a ranged tank, which means he can't move and M1 like the others can, and he's a bit squishier than the other tanks so he doesn't really like being the center of attention. Instead he's extremely mobile via teleports and trances, and has a very potent AoE spell lock effect. He also has a cool mechanic in his M1 and M2 where he builds charges called Sol (via M1) and Ohm (via M2). The former makes the enemy take more damage, and the latter makes them deal less damage, each up to three stacks, and when you use the opposite ability (so M1 for Ohm, M2 for Sol) it consumes all the stacks to either deal additional damage or heal the Inhibitor. Their trademark ability is Rune Shield, which is a barrier effect that absorbs 50% of the damage you or your ally receives for a short period, and if that damage exceeds a certain point it shatters, incapping every nearby enemy.

Metal Warden

Metal Warden is Samus. Seriously; she has a morph ball and beam weapons for crying out loud. Like Inhibitor, MW is a ranged tank, but instead of focusing on debuffs and the like she has tools designed for loving over melee bloodlines and certain healers. Historically she has a great deal of trouble with ranged DPS classes, but she was recently given a buff to her Energy Leash ability so that it reduces projectile movement speed for a pretty decent chunk of time, so who knows how she's doing now. She also is the most combo-driven bloodline, and does most of her damage in quick chain bursts (such as Leash -> EX2 -> M2 -> Q -> M1, which is a chain most bloodlines can't really get out of). Her trademark ability is her fantastic EX2 - Iron Leap. She throws herself into the air and lands wherever your cursor is, doing good damage and immobilizing anyone she lands on.

Healers

Healers in BLC are not healers in WoW, or probably any other game you've played that uses the title "healer." You cannot, cannot outheal a steady stream of damage in BLC, and in fact the way healing itself works is very strange (and I'll talk about it more later). Instead, healers, like tanks, tend to be more about proactive defense through debuffing enemies, buffing allies, and things of that nature.

Alchemist

Alchemist is one of the most "pure" healer there are. She doesn't do very good damage (outside of her insanely strong Ult) and really has no means of buffing it, so she gets by with a wide variety of debuffs to keep enemies away. She was also blessed with Clarity Potion, an ability that cleanses all debuffs from herself and nearby allies and all buffs from nearby enemies and pushing back all enemies a bit; it's a wonderful tool used aggressively or as an escape option. Unlike all the other healers, she has no real mobility tools, so proper positioning and spacing is extremely important for her. Her trademark ability is Barrier, which is, as the name suggests, a big barrier that slightly buffs movement speed for the recipient, as well as absorbing a HUGE amount of damage, by far the most of any barrier in the game. It has a long cooldown though, so be careful - if the other team is smart they'll capitalize on that.

Psychopomp

Pomps are tricky, with great escape abilities and decent ranged damage. They have a mechanic called "Soul" which is applied on themselves whenever their M1 or M2 connect, and it both makes their M1 hit a bit harder and makes the next enemy attack against them do less damage. They're extremely mobile as far as healers go, and have one of the weirdest barrier spells in the game, The Other Side, which basically makes your ally incorporeal and lets them run really fast for a few seconds, but they can't attack, be damage, or get healed for the duration. They also have an PBAoE Spellblock and Slow which is quite good. Her trademark ability is Mind Transfer, where she launches a projectile that, upon contact, forces whoever it hit (friend or foe) to swap places with the Pomp. It obviously has a ton of applications.

Herald of Insight
Herald, like Alchemist, is a very "healer-y" healer who can occasionally reflect enemy abilities back at them. He spends most of his time buffing and controlling enemies. He has a relatively long duration Fear, as well as a weird ability called Mantra of Devotion that is a ground targeted effect, increasing/reducing all healing received for nearby allies/enemies by 30% for 5s, respectively. He also has a decent teleport, so his mobility isn't too bad. His trademark ability as mentioned is Chronoflux, which is a little AoE bubble that sits on the ground, reflecting any hostile projectiles that enter it back at their source, and slowing any enemies that walk through it.

Astronomer
The least healery of the healers, Astronomer is a melee class that revolves around debuffing and burst damage. Like the Guardian, Astro's build a self-buff once every 2.5 seconds to a total of 4 stacks (they also get a free four stacks when their trance goes off), and when they M1 with a full stack it does significantly increased damage as well as applying a very nasty debuff that reduces the target's movement speed, damage, and healing by 33% for almost 3 seconds. They're also the only healer fortunate enough to have a real trance ability, a very potent ranged slow that also affects the victim's attack speed, and a teleport that heals allies and hurts enemies at the impact point (couple this with a buffed M1 to do some serious burst damage). Their trademark spell is Moon Stone, which is an AoE that, after ~1s, turns every enemy inside of it into a stone statue for 2.7s; perfect for forcing people to scatter off you/allies lest they get owned.

Blood Priest
BP is another class I just don't know a ton about, because no one seems to use him in 3v3, the only format I really play. He has the strongest direct heal of any healer, but it also hurts him a bit each time he does it (though the amount it hurts him can be lowered by landing some M1s first), and his damage output is ok. He has an AoE that is similar to the Astro's Moon Stone, but instead of freezing people in place when it goes off, it makes them run in fear for 2 seconds. He also has the coolest teleport of any class, where it usually doesn't go very far, but if you target an enemy with it you go into their body and damage them, and then get to teleport again for free after that! His Insect Swarm is also a pretty potent blind effect that does decent damage. His trademark skill is Blood Shield, which prevents 45% of damage done, but reflects 33% of the damage done back at the attacker.

Grimrog

The Totem Guy. Grimrog is a much more of a melee healer than Astronomer is. He has some potent burst, a funny whirlwind thing that also increases his movement and attack speed for a short period, a decent silence, and a "portal" spell where he makes a portal directly in front of himself and one further ahead, and anyone - friend or foe - who enters one end will appear out the other. He also has a bizarre mechanic called Curses, which are applied by three of his abilities (one of which is his ult), and each can be consumed to in some way gently caress with your enemy by hitting them with one of your heal spells. Speaking of, Grimrog's M2 is the fastest firing heal in the game, making him one of the best raw healers there are (and arguably the best healer period in 3v3). Grimrog's trademark ability is Healing Ward, where he plops down a totem that heals allies within its rather large area of effect, and reduces all damage those allies receive while inside of it. The totem itself can be killed though.

Dryad

The newest bloodline, Dryad is... well, honestly, no one really knows yet. Her toolset implies that she's designed to be played very aggressively, but it's too early to really say. She also has a very controversial spell, Suggestive Tune, which allows you to take over the movement of an enemy you hit with it for 2.5 seconds (early reports say it's not very useful but that it's stupid it even exists at all). Her coolest ability is her very unique barrier; it does't prevent as much damage as Alchemist's, and whoever has it on them has to steer it with their cursor since it only blocks 180 degrees around you, but it prevents all effects period. Slap that sucker on one of your melee DPS and watch as they sit on the enemy Alch with no fear of sleep or inject.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Frequently" Asked Questions

Q: What the gently caress is up with healing? What is "recovery health?"
A: Healing in BLC is weird. Every unit has two types of health, true health and recovery health. The former is the most important; when it reaches zero, you die. The only way to regenerate true health is through your F1 medallion ability, which is a slow channeled HoT that becomes increasingly more potent as it nears the end of its duration. Recovery health is what all other healing effects in the game work with. Every class has a set amount of recovery health (I think it's ~30% of their total max true health?), and they can never have more healing done to them at a time than that.

For example, a Ravener's true health is 1850 and their recovery health is 600 - even if they currently have 20 true health remaining, you will always be able to buff them with that 600 health for a total of 620. Note that you can't "overheal," so no matter how much you try to heal someone you will never take their combined current true + recovery health over their max true health. You can tell when someone is fully buffed when their recovery health turns grey on their life bar.

Q: What does "As distance from impact location increases, healing decreases," actually mean?
A: Every M2 heal in BLC is an AoE, and the further from where your heal "landed" your ally is the less it heals them. In other words, a direct hit heals more than splash healing does.

Q: I don't know which bloodline to pick for my freebie after doing the newbie quest thing!!
A: Easy! Hop in single player! You can try out every class in the game there so you know exactly what you're getting. Also check out the Tome of Knowledge or whatever it's called to read the specifics on every class and check out what their cosmetic options are.

Q: How do EX abilities work?
A: Every class has two EX abilities that consume 40% of your energy bar to use. These abilities are tied to other abilities - for example, the Guardian's Chain Heal EX is tied to their Sanctuary ability - and share cooldowns with them. Sometimes they're just souped up versions of their normal counterparts, other times they're completely different. Some classes have really potent EXs and mediocre Ults so you'll find yourself using EXs a lot, others are the exact opposite. You just gotta experiment!

Q: "Incaps for 2.7 seconds"? How are you seeing such specific stuff?
A: Hold shift while you mouse of a skill's description to see a much more in-depth explanation about it, including exact damage, duration of effects, and range. This also works for seeing what stats actually do in the traits/medallion menu, and it even says exactly how much any one of your stats is currently buffed.

Q: Any general tips?
A: Sure!

- "Focus the healer" is not a winning strategy. This was more an issue for people coming from WoW or other PvP games, but in BLC you swap focus targets frequently. Since you have to aim heals you're making it real easy for the healer to hit their target if you focus them (themselves, since you can self-aim) instead of making them work for it by attacking someone else who is trying to dodge you, which in turn makes them more difficult for their healer to hit, at least for the full heal value.
- M1 is your friend. M1 frequently makes up the largest percentage of a strong player's damage, barring a few weird bloodline exceptions. Just because it doesn't generally do anything fancy doesn't mean it's bad.
- Bait/force escapes and trances. If you know that Astronomer still has his trance ready you don't want to let him use it on your best ability. To prevent this you have to do a lot of juking, pressuring, and baiting. The easiest example is to hurt them a ton with M1 until they absolutely NEED to escape, and then you're free to pursue them knowing they're royally hosed for the next few seconds (unless they're an Igniter, in which case get really mad like I do). Another example could be, as a Gunner, charge your execute and see if anyone pops their trances or cooldowns to get away. You don't even have to fire it (move to cancel it), just the sound effect of certain moves will make people who are worried waste a cooldown.
- Figure out what every class does. At the very least, learn how many escapes/trances each class has and what they look like. Just knowing this will make you a MUCH better player almost immediately.
- Dynamic camera owns, if you get used to using it you'll improve your game significantly.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Holy poo poo, that's a really good post.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Thanks. Some of it is outdated, and I know they added another character since I last played (Sentinel), but hopefully it'll be a good starting point.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo this is the best news. Anyone of you get the code from Funcom yet?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Arzachel posted:

Holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo this is the best news. Anyone of you get the code from Funcom yet?

Make sure you're checking the right email; it's sadly been like 3 or 4 years since this game was at its peak and you might've been using a college or pre-college email or something else.

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot
It was in the spam folder of my Gmail inbox.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Running With Spoons posted:

It was in the spam folder of my Gmail inbox.

Yup, that was it!

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I received two emails but don't remember which account had the $100 pack and which was my f2p account. How do I tell!!

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Khorne posted:

I received two emails but don't remember which account had the $100 pack and which was my f2p account. How do I tell!!

If you haven't deleted the old registration emails and remember which screen name you used for the titan account, you can try digging that up. Otherwise throw Stunlock an email, they'll probably sort it out.

Do we have a chat channel?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hum, was happy to hear the game was alive and kicking, but I haven't received any email (not even on spam folder). I even logged into the funcom website to make sure my address there was correct, which it was. What now?

e: getting in touch with funcom support sorted it out, apparently. Time to give this game a go again.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 31, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

BLC is an extremely rad game until they added the terrible LoL-style grinds and leveling and unlocks (character pricing was always rather bad, though you can at least try any of them whenever for free), which made it only mostly rad. From what I could tell poking around a bit, it doesn't look like there have been any major changes since the last time any of you probably played it. But there's seriously so much to love about the game. The art style is cool, the classes all feel distinct, powerful, and fun, it's really rewarding to improve at, is basically the only instance of gender swap skins actually done well, and it has the ravener and Samus.

Speaking as a scrub giving advice to new players, if you're looking for simpler classes to try out at the start, I'd recommend harbinger, glutton, and thorn for melee, and Samus or seeker for ranged. I'd avoid healers until you get a better feel for how the game flows, what classes can do, and how to hold your cooldowns for the right times.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Another extremely important thing is to unlock the camera (bound to middle mouse button by default) and never ever change it back.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
In homage to those who died so that we may play Bloodline Champions, I'm making channel "cute" the official channel so please idle there

Foodchain
Oct 13, 2005

Khorne posted:

In the e-mail it should have an account name and a CD key.

Go here and put the account name into the username field and enter the password for the account. Once you're logged in click the "View Payments" button. You can probably figure out which account was your main based on the purchases made.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Played some cpu matches to remind my hands how to play, metal warden still owns, gunner owns more than I remember, reaver also seems to own, still don't like any healer other than grimrog.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Played some cpu matches to remind my hands how to play, metal warden still owns, gunner owns more than I remember, reaver also seems to own, still don't like any healer other than grimrog.

Blood Priest and Pomp are :krad: Remembered that I really like Guardian but I'm terrible at her.

John T Scrungus
Oct 23, 2010

:confused:
I had fun with this game when they first launched it on Steam, count me in.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Are there any players who are completely new here?
This seems to be a giant celebration over the death of Funcom from old veterans.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
1 free guy from beating tut
1 free guy from getting to level 5

do i only own 2 guys now... wowzer...

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Aww, still haven't gotten a key.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Contact Funcom support. They'll give you a key if you can give them your BLC account name and/or the e-mail address it was linked to (not ingame name)

Now that SLS has this entirely under their control, I wonder if we'll finally get the loving empty gap in the Ranged category. I hope development resumes; this was seriously one of my favorite games.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Countblanc posted:

In homage to those who died so that we may play Bloodline Champions, I'm making channel "cute" the official channel so please idle there

Gonna add this to the OP :toot:

Plus gonna add Foodchain's guide to contacting Funcom directly for your a key, and your bloodline guide, Countblanc.

The Gorp posted:

Are there any players who are completely new here?
This seems to be a giant celebration over the death of Funcom from old veterans.

The game's always had a problem attracting new players

THE PENETRATOR posted:

1 free guy from beating tut
1 free guy from getting to level 5

do i only own 2 guys now... wowzer...

The bloodline bundles on Steam are a good deal, there should be a free bloodline rotation, and bloodcoin generation is really lax now that private games generate coins at a decent rate. It's pretty reasonable, especially for a frito game, imo.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Oh yeah, plus I think there's new steam packs coming soon...? Presumably to replace the champion/titan editions at a much lower cost, so maybe wait and see if you like the game and wanna buy something.

The bonus for getting one of the two current packages is that they're giving anyone who buys one a silver weapon for every bloodline.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Can somone tell me how to unbind the camera? It's been so long that I forgot how to.
The menu scheme is nonsense, it took 10 minutes for me to figure out how to icon.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Middle mouse button is default keybind iirc

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I love you Minrad.

I thought it was an options thing like "Full-screen" and not a keybind. Was going more and more insane by the second.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Looks like I'm permanently drawn to sub-par characters and I only ever want to play Seeker, Stormcaller or Grimrog if the team needs healing.

I used to have a good Spearman but that's completely gone now.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I'm gonna be honest, I'm far too aggressive while playing this game. But why should I change?
What are the best characters for diving in 3v1 and not giving a drat about what happens?

I'm seeing success with mostly Ranid, Reaver and Glutton doing this but would love to know of more, most guardians seem to be defensive rather than smash mouthed in style of play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Spearmaster and Ravener love to play inside the enemy team, but you can never really just go full-on aggressive; you're going to have to duck out waiting for your defensive cooldowns at some point, otherwise the enemy team will blow you up for free and then your healer will complain.

• Locked thread