Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Except of course for the fact that the keys typically don't work on a non-vendor-supplied disc :xd:

yes they do

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Weird. Someone in the Security megathread said that it wouldn't work for them (something about it being "baked in"). He even used the ISO right from Microsoft's website.

that someone is wrong.

as long long as it's the same release stream (e.g. home or pro or whatever) you an use a retail or oem key on either a retail or oem disc and it'll accept it and activate just fine. doesn't even have to be from the manufacturer of the machine you're using.

the only time you'll have any trouble is if you decide to nerd out and pull the key from the registy instead of using the one on the sticker. that's an oem slic key and it's bound to the slic data in the cmos, that will only activate if it's on the original hardware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

as long long as it's the same release stream (e.g. home or pro or whatever) you an use a retail or oem key on either a retail or oem disc and it'll accept it and activate just fine. doesn't even have to be from the manufacturer of the machine you're using.

the only time you'll have any trouble is if you decide to nerd out and pull the key from the registy instead of using the one on the sticker. that's an oem slic key and it's bound to the slic data in the cmos, that will only activate if it's on the original hardware

lol, look at this janitor garbage. why do you idiots put up with this poo poo, is your time literally worthless?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
you know what's worth an extra $50 of my hard-earned money? not having to reinstall windows. you know what's worth $500? not having to janitor windows ever.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

The Management posted:

lol, look at this janitor garbage. why do you idiots put up with this poo poo, is your time literally worthless?

idk who puts up with it. it's part of my job to know how that poo poo works, so i can tell people not to waste their time loving with it.

the only person having any trouble with the above scenario is the idiot cj who wants to hack the gibson and so decides to dig his product key out of the registry and try to use it on another computer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Management posted:

you know what's worth an extra $50 of my hard-earned money? not having to reinstall windows. you know what's worth $500? not having to janitor windows ever.

you know what's worth a surprising amount of money? LOB software that doesn't run on macs

oh and enterprise level warranty support.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

windows is bad

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mishaq posted:

windows is bad

no doubt

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

having parts show up in the case of hardware failure in under two hours is handy, idk

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

MY EXECUTIVES

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

LastInLine posted:

i suppose well never know because no one has ever gone into a microsoft store

i bought my current laptop from the microsoft store

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

annapacketstormaya posted:

cool

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSAXEVXvNz8&t=130s

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so gold

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

im the crafty shoplifter @ 2:15

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

you know what's worth a surprising amount of money? LOB software that doesn't run on macs

all ~*enterprise*~ software is poo poo hth. you're going to have to run it in a vdi environment anyway to get the special snowflake versions of os/java/web browser aligned at which point who gives a gently caress what the client device is running as long as it can launch an rdp session. at most you will get it to behave on two major os releases before the bean counters decide to stop renewing the support contract because the rest of the business is haemorrhaging money.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

:eyepop:

"well right across from here theres a store selling good computers but its packed so i may as well go into this microsoft store because the ratio of employees to customers is 20:1"

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

ohhhhh my lenovo arrived time 2 decontaminate my new pc lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

theadder posted:

ohhhhh my lenovo arrived time 2 decontaminate my new pc lol

install linux lol

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Captain Foo posted:

install linux lol

he said "de"contaminate not "re"contaminate lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

he said "de"contaminate not "re"contaminate lol

that's why i didn't recommend you touch his computes laffo

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

i enjoyed watching the large breasted woman in the green top

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

she died

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

at least i got to see her dance first

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

~dance like there is no tomorrow~

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

Dolomite posted:

~dance like there is no tomorrow~

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:jackbud:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

install linux lol

i lied op

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Pissflaps posted:

brawny

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

lifehax

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
hashtag poop
hashtag hashtag

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
lenovo more like loveno

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Class action suit inbound: http://www.cnet.com/news/lenovo-hit-by-lawsuit-over-superfish-adware/

pram
Jun 10, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/25/8110201/lenovo-com-has-been-hacked-apparently-by-lizard-squad

• Locked thread