Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joke_explainer

WetNightmare posted:

georgie-san: im not at one with tea.
seinfeld-san: [teardrop] you dislike the tea?
georgie-san: tea, im not one with it.
seinfeld-san: live in japan,, not at one with tea?!
georgie-san: live in japan, not at one with tea. [peace sign] pepsi! -=^-^=-
tall fidget man: [smashes through paper wall] neighbor! let me borrow item! haste!
seinfeld-san: :psyduck: you enter abode with much disgrace!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacedaemonius

Rub a dub dub
What do you think was the most difficult part about learning the language? Any tips to share?
Also, is it tacky to just spell everything in hiragana?

Lock

hardcore sound gets you hypah

WetNightmare posted:

tall fidget man: [smashes through paper wall] neighbor! let me borrow item! haste!

https://giant.gfycat.com/ThoseAcrobaticCapybara.webm
so much love to vanisher for the winter '21 sig!

huge love to Tiny Myers for the fall '21 sig!

Lock

I don't remember whcih of the das from GCCX I saw at the booth but I def remember meeting Tani, the sound director dude there.

bacalou posted:

whats it like getting actual okonomiyaki

so good

Damp Star Baby posted:

whats it like eating real wasab? there's one specialty farm in Vancouver that's started to grow it recently, and you can find it at some sushi shops downtown. Haven't been able to go yet :(

pretty good (I don't eat that much of it, but what I've had is def. good stuff. Apparently one of the bigger tourist attractions near where I live is a wasabi farm. Haven't been there though, sorry.)

Funnypost Collabo posted:

Do you think that we should Occupy Japan

why do u think im here

Lacedaemonius posted:

What do you think was the most difficult part about learning the language? Any tips to share?
Also, is it tacky to just spell everything in hiragana?

Literally everything.

Seriously though I'd say it's the kanji. The grammar's different but you can learn enough to say what you wanna say easy enough, especially since there are very few irregular verbs to throw things off. The politeness level thing and polite language are another nightmare but this is one time where your blue eyes will help you out because unless you're in a seriously formal situation, they'll give you a pass. In general, most people here are aware that 1) only Japanese speak Japanese and 2) it's pretty hard for others to pick it up, so even speaking the basics and showing you're making an effort goes miles towards how people respond to you.

But kanji...seeing a new word, and having no idea how to say it? Like, not as in how to accurately pronounce it but where to even begin because it's not at all phonetic? That kills me. You're an illiterate until you force yourself to sit down and rote-memorize at least a few hundred of these bare minimum. Get on that from day 1 and don't stop.

It's not tacky, but it's actually super hard to read like that. Once you get beyond total idiot with the language, looking at a passage that's all hiragana is like just a blob of unspaced text.

Lock fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 1, 2015

Rick
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Which Orange Julius serves the best Orange Julius in Japan?

Scaly Haylie

been to any good game centers, op?

Lock

Rick posted:

Which Orange Julius serves the best Orange Julius in Japan?

I am juliusless here; my thirst, unquenched

Lizard Wizard posted:

been to any good game centers, op?

used to all the time. IIDX and Jubeat were my jams. Awesome places, still very much alive here.

verbal enema

onlymarfans.com
Do u like DJ Technorch

SymmetryrtemmyS

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Lock posted:

I am juliusless here; my thirst, unquenched

used to all the time. IIDX and Jubeat were my jams. Awesome places, still very much alive here.

You can make a v good orange julius by putting a can of frozen juice, an egg, a tray of ice cubes, some milk (or soy milk) and either water or booze. When I make a julius, I skip the milk and just add a bottle of MD20/20.

klapman

this char is good
how hard is it to get a job as a foreigner in japan if you dont have a recommendation or connection anywhere, i've heard it can be kinda hosed

Lock

verbal enema posted:

Do u like DJ Technorch

hes ok, v hit or miss imo. The extended mix of his latest iidx song fukin rocks though (skip to 0:57 for actual music)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kcXpdI-mZA

The Prime Minister's Award is good too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdmVZjP_xAY

klapman posted:

how hard is it to get a job as a foreigner in japan if you dont have a recommendation or connection anywhere, i've heard it can be kinda hosed

depends on what kinda job you're lookin for, far as I know. when i first got here, if you had a pulse and a 4-year degree, you could get a job teaching english. After the insanity that was NOVA imploding it wasn't as easy, but then then 3/11 earthquake came and scared most everyone who could get away, away. But if you wanna teach English over here, you can pretty easily get a job long as you don't look creepy.

if you mean like a non-teaching job, maybe? haven't tried myself but a guy i used to work with was looking for non-teaching jobs and constantly complaining how he had no luck.

i figure it's more of a language thing, but im sure there are def those out there who are all japans only

frajaq

#acolyte GM of 2014

how do most of the japanese actually feel about anime, do they feel embarrassed about it. you know the common working man/woman

Lock

frajaq posted:

how do most of the japanese actually feel about anime, do they feel embarrassed about it. you know the common working man/woman

most pay about as much attention to it as the average healthy adult does to cartoons in any other country. really popular mainstream stuff suitable for anybody is pretty well known, niche stuff is niche, and the more embarrassing poo poo is only watched and known by 1) the target market and 2) the kinds you would expect. by that I mean, everybody here knows dragon ball, one piece, Lupin III. people who like cartoons know whatever good is playing that season. shows with pantyflashing junior-highschoolers are only followed by junior high kids and creepy adults. shows with pantyflashing elementary schoolers, only watched by the creepyfolk. yes this is generalizing and not 100% accurate, but if you watch any of the creepy ones and despite all odds are a socially healthy individual, nobody will believe your assumed social health the minute you try to bring those shows up in conversation.

it's really not as 'accepted' as it seems to be, it's just not pro-actively frowned upon, if that makes sense.

alnilam

I heard the stigma about radiation used to be so bad in Japan, people thought it was communicable and if you were known to be even the child of a survivor of radiation poisoning after the bombings, people would avoid and shun you

In my heart i sincerely doubt that's still a thing in modern Japan but I'm curious, esp after fukushima bringing radiation poisoning up again

Also what's the attitude towards nuclear power, Japan used to be one of the top users of it and i forget if they've turned their plants back on yet or what, what's the policy and also what do the public seem to think about it

Al Borland

by XyloJW
Would you / will you / do you own Char's toyota?
(reference)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSTfiqUJ6dA

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

E3 Keynote

eyyyyyyyyyy
how lonely were you when you first got there

3D Megadoodoo

is it true what they say about japanese pussies?

that they like to play in cardboard boxes and have silly ears?

ulvir

Lock posted:

I have the most cliche job a foreigner can have here.

you hold signs in the street trying to get people to come to the shady bar that pays you?

3D Megadoodoo

WetNightmare posted:

Radiohead71

Do you have a Japanese girlfriend? Do Japanese women like gaijins from USA? Do you ever get over the feeling of "I totally stand out here"? I went to Japan last year on vacation and I loved it. I definitely felt like I stood out constantly, though.

Lock

alnilam posted:

I heard the stigma about radiation used to be so bad in Japan, people thought it was communicable and if you were known to be even the child of a survivor of radiation poisoning after the bombings, people would avoid and shun you

In my heart i sincerely doubt that's still a thing in modern Japan but I'm curious, esp after fukushima bringing radiation poisoning up again

Also what's the attitude towards nuclear power, Japan used to be one of the top users of it and i forget if they've turned their plants back on yet or what, what's the policy and also what do the public seem to think about it

I haven't heard anything about that stigma so I'm gonna assume it's mostly gone? but i don't live near Hiroshima/Nagasaki so i dunno. the fukushima plant thing though has really turned public opinion against nuclear power, especially after how it took weeks for the government to actually admit the full extent of the damage done. whether the anti-nuclear power people hold the majority or are just a vocal minority though, again, not sure.

Al Borland posted:

Would you / will you / do you own Char's toyota?
(reference)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSTfiqUJ6dA

absofukinlutely / highly doubtful / sadly no

E3 Keynote posted:

how lonely were you when you first got there

not very. was too busy being in awe of living overseas (i had never been in another country since i was one yr old). there was def some culture shock, but having a cold-as-hell apartment AND a random roommate helped force me to get out.

Jerry Cotton posted:

is it true what they say about japanese pussies?

ears seem p normal, but the stereotype of stray cats being everywhere is p spot-on

ulvir posted:

you hold signs in the street trying to get people to come to the shady bar that pays you?

pft the yakuza arent very welcoming of gaijin last i heard

i teach english. I worked at NOVA before the poo poo hit the fan there (which was insane), and ended up at a pretty awesome smaller private school.

Radiohead71 posted:

Do you have a Japanese girlfriend? Do Japanese women like gaijins from USA? Do you ever get over the feeling of "I totally stand out here"? I went to Japan last year on vacation and I loved it. I definitely felt like I stood out constantly, though.

have had but not currently (im postin here after all). some do, not as many as you might think though (though that may be because im in a smaller city) but the ones who are gaijin hunters are the ones you most wanna avoid. i do, yeah...there are a surprising number of foreigners in my small city but i definitely look and speak v different than 99% of the people I see in any given day. it helps because people who aren't assholes automatically have stuff they want to talk about with you, and it hurts because either 1) a dude hates a foreigner, 2) a dude wants to tell a life story to a foreigner, and/or 3) a dude assumes you can't communicate with them and avoids the hell outta you

Radiohead71

Lock posted:

have had but not currently (im postin here after all). some do, not as many as you might think though (though that may be because im in a smaller city) but the ones who are gaijin hunters are the ones you most wanna avoid. i do, yeah...there are a surprising number of foreigners in my small city but i definitely look and speak v different than 99% of the people I see in any given day. it helps because people who aren't assholes automatically have stuff they want to talk about with you, and it hurts because either 1) a dude hates a foreigner, 2) a dude wants to tell a life story to a foreigner, and/or 3) a dude assumes you can't communicate with them and avoids the hell outta you

While in Hiroshima, I went to an "I love beer" festival. I was walking around on my own, when a group of people invited me over to talk. It was a man and about 5 ladies who were a hiking club in Hiroshima. They asked me questions for hours, gave me food, and were very interested in talking to me. They didn't believe I was an American, since they thought all Americans were fat (I'm in pretty good shape). They were very nice.

Lock

Yeah, stumbling across a group like that is always awesome. and yeah, the 'americans? fat' stereotype is a thing, and one im also working hard to change. im not getting much help though.

also god bless the japanese appreciation of beer

alnilam

lock i am a vegetarian how possible is it for me to eat in japan? in my experience japanese cuisine is extremely seafood heavy, is veg food widespread there too?

ty manifisto

Lock

whoa this is a bump, ty

yeah i'm not vegetarian but I had a friend over here who was. You're def gonna wanna know how to speak some japanese before you come. 'Vegetarian' to most places here just means no obvious meat. Things like stock or whatever don't necessarily count. Also, yeah, seafood doesn't really count either. There ARE places that are vegetarian/vegan conscious, but most general restaurants arent quite there.

basically vegetarian isnt nonexistent nor unheard of, but if you stray beyond the more cosmopolitan parts of the country (basically, outside of tokyo), youll have to specifically ask if you're talking strict vegetarian when going to restaurants. and of course most store-bought foods have ingredients listed in Japanese so youll need to at least have an idea of what symbols to look out for.

not everything has seafood in it, nor meat products for that matter, dont get me wrong. but the country isn't known for its vegetarian awareness, insofar as i'm aware.

alnilam

good to know i'm not spergy about stock or trace materials i was just wondering if it's easy to find a thing to order at a restaurant that doesn't have obvious meat

ty manifisto

Lock

yeah thats def doable, it really depends on how strict you are in the v-spectrum

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

japan is all fake, JUST like the moon landings but with more anime

Lock

plz do not realshame in my thred tia

ZeroCount

WetNightmare posted:

Sax

I'm your coffee, pal! :coffeepal:
how much longer will you live there?

peanut

Lol who is this

Lock

Sax posted:

how much longer will you live there?

I've given up tryin to answer that one. I said one year when I first got here. Which was 9 years ago. Whenever I get tired of the job and the experience I guess.

peanut posted:

Lol who is this

some flybynight jackass tryin to get cool points in the yob by bragging about his nondescript job that just so happens to be ina country fetishized by said yob. people said make a thread, so i made a thread. thread made. here. ty for giving it your time and attention

ulvir

WetNightmare posted:

tradjik

is it good

ty heather papps u da bes

Lock

so i was talked into doing the snapchat thing in the snapchat thread, i guess maybe i shouldnt assume everybody reads everythread obsessively like me, so if you want pics of japan of things that i find neat or cool or pretty you can add me, its been fun times so far

L0ckL0ck (yeah those are zeroes)

tradjik

i will add you because only one person from the thread added me and it made me sad

Lock

dude you gotta be proactive about that poo poo, people were postin usernames left and right

tradjik

thats a good point

i will go through the thread and add all the forum girls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut

Why aren't you in line goonchat

• Locked thread