Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

This lovely brown purple slog of a game with the best boss fights in the series, and arguably of any recent Nintendo game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

This lovely brown purple slog of a game with the best boss fights in the series, and arguably of any recent Nintendo game

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

This is my first time playing any of the metroid prime games and they're pretty cool and fun

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ausmund posted:

Prime 2 was so loving boring I couldn't play more than 2 hours of it.

Prime 2 had the best boss in the trilogy.

E: And the most intense one!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think every real gamer should buy this even if they don't play it or own a Wii U, because part of me thinks Nintendo is testing the interest in a new Metroid game and I want to play one.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I think every real gamer should buy this even if they don't play it or own a Wii U, because part of me thinks Nintendo is testing the interest in a new Metroid game and I want to play one.
You're forgetting that the way Nintendo handles accounts is awful, and there is no way to actually buy games from a browser.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

IShallRiseAgain posted:

You're forgetting that the way Nintendo handles accounts is awful, and there is no way to actually buy games from a browser.
Yes there is, in the US you can buy codes from the eShop website.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

IShallRiseAgain posted:

You can buy the code and redeem it later.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
Am I the only one who thinks that Prime 3 is the best?

Well, maybe not necessarily the "best", but it's definitely my favorite. Prime 1 is a close second. Prime 2 is still pretty great, mostly because of the awesome Dark Samus battles.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Unit24 posted:

Well, maybe not necessarily the "best", but it's definitely my favorite. Prime 1 is a close second. Prime 2 is still pretty great, mostly because of the awesome Dark Samus battles.

Yes. They're all good but come on...Prime 1 is nearly perfect.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Unit24 posted:

I don't think it's the best but I do think it gets a lot of flak unfairly. I honestly didn't mind Admiral Dane when I first played and looking back, compared to Adam, he's really pretty good. Yeah, he's a bit of a one-dimensional military man but he lets Samus do her thing and seems competent otherwise and doesn't get everyone working around him, including himself, killed.

Edit: I will say too that the original Metroid Prime probably has the best story telling of pretty much any game ever. The scan visor is absolutely brilliant and it turns the story of the world into a collectible itself. It's there if you want to read it but you're not punished in any way if you ignore it though.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Usually people aren't so forward in announcing how loving stupid they are but it appears you lack any understanding of shame.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Usually people aren't so forward in announcing how loving stupid they are but it appears you lack any understanding of shame.

Wait if you can buy eShop games from a browser please let me know and I don't mind if you call me a retard or w.e I just think it'd be convenient

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Green Puddin posted:

Wait if you can buy eShop games from a browser please let me know and I don't mind if you call me a retard or w.e I just think it'd be convenient

Pablo Gigante posted:

Yes there is, in the US you can buy codes from the eShop website.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Green Puddin posted:

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?

Yes. They're all good but come on...Prime 1 is nearly perfect.

To each their own. I really liked how Prime 3 had multiple planets (and a space station) and let you use the ship. I felt like I was getting a more complete Samus experience, if that makes any sense.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Unit24 posted:

To each their own. I really liked how Prime 3 had multiple planets (and a space station) and let you use the ship. I felt like I was getting a more complete Samus experience, if that makes any sense.

True, I like it a lot more than 2. 3 was originally going to be a more free form game based on bounty hunting where samus would accept contracts and fly to a selection of planets but the project was scaled back or something, so they crammed a Prime 1 style into their existing work halfway through development. That could have been a really cool game in its own right, but the bastardized version that came out is neat and has some important improvements on the Prime game play (control scheme improvement, fixing the end game key hunting, going back to the Super style of beam upgrades, and having the option to mark upgrade locations on your map were all great choices IMO).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love Metroid.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I love Metroid.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Unit24 posted:

Your Ship is definitely a rad power up. I don't really like Prime 3's regions very much though, and the beam system wasn't great, and I really disliked hypermode. But third place is still respectable

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I know that the imp zone mods probably don't want threads from games but it would be funny if this thread got moved there and then locked once the sale was done so that all the retarded people who disliked metroid and/or the Wii U could be probated for the same post over and over again.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Also, guy who complained about colors, purple is top tier

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

I love Metroid.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I love Metroid.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

This may be blasphemous but Metroid Prime 1 is the best Metroid game.

There, I said it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kirios posted:

There, I said it.

I agree.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

True, I like it a lot more than 2. 3 was originally going to be a more free form game based on bounty hunting where samus would accept contracts and fly to a selection of planets but the project was scaled back or something, so they crammed a Prime 1 style into their existing work halfway through development. That could have been a really cool game in its own right, but the bastardized version that came out is neat and has some important improvements on the Prime game play (control scheme improvement, fixing the end game key hunting, going back to the Super style of beam upgrades, and having the option to mark upgrade locations on your map were all great choices IMO).

The literal reason it got scaled back is that Sakamoto said he didn't picture Samus as someone who would do mercenary like jobs for money because he and Nintendo collectively did not know the meaning of the term bounty hunter. Japanese video games and manga do this thing where like, they have all these setting specific terms for people who are mercenaries or bounty hunters, but uh, I guess they're good guys so they actually just bum around instead? Geo Hound, Hunter Warrior, Buster, etc.

Prime 2's original concept was kind of crazy. It was going to be similar to System Shock 2. The whole game would be on a huge space station run by four different AIs competing for power and for your support in stuff. Though they may have axed it just because it would have been a bit similar to the relatively recent Metroid Fusion. But then Sakamoto went with a space station anyway with Other M.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

The literal reason it got scaled back is that Sakamoto said he didn't picture Samus as someone who would do mercenary like jobs for money because he and Nintendo collectively did not know the meaning of the term bounty hunter. Japanese video games and manga do this thing where like, they have all these setting specific terms for people who are mercenaries or bounty hunters, but uh, I guess they're good guys so they actually just bum around instead? Geo Hound, Hunter Warrior, Buster, etc.

Cowboy Bebop?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kirios posted:

Cowboy Bebop?

No way man he watches "BIG SHOT! THE SHOW FOR BOUNTY HUNTERS!" :D

That reminds of Rising Zan: Samurai Gunman though which I think must have partially influenced the tv show within the show.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Dude how the gently caress do you call yourself an anime fan if you haven't seen Cowboy Bebop dubbed?!

I thought that was a requirement.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Prime 2's original concept was kind of crazy. It was going to be similar to System Shock 2. The whole game would be on a huge space station run by four different AIs competing for power and for your support in stuff. Though they may have axed it just because it would have been a bit similar to the relatively recent Metroid Fusion. But then Sakamoto went with a space station anyway with Other M.

The actual design document is crazy ambitious and probably wouldn't have turned out all that well

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kirios posted:

Dude how the gently caress do you call yourself an anime fan if you haven't seen Cowboy Bebop dubbed?!

I thought that was a requirement.

I never saw the movie but I watched the show itself when it was new, but that was from what like 98 to 2000? Fifteen years is a long time man. :)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Looper posted:

The actual design document is crazy ambitious and probably wouldn't have turned out all that well

As we know from Other M also being on a space station. :D

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

I love Metroid.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Thanks for the link guys that's actually super fuckin convenient

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kirios posted:

There, I said it.

Truth aint blasphemy. Metroid Prime 1 is the best Metroid and if RE4 didn't exist it'd be the best Gamecube title hands down.

If you own a WiiU buy this collection because even if Prime 2 and 3 are not nearly as good $10 for Prime 1 is worth it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Excuse me sir, Twin Snakes is the best gamecube game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

There are many best gamecube games, for the gamecube was a Good system. However only one of them is prime.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Oh poo poo I forgot about REmake.... drat the Gamecube really fuckin owned. I want to say Eternal Darkness but that game is a bit overhyped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The gamecube was sick but it was no ps2, sadly.

• Locked thread