Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So my girlfriend got this last night and played through it. The concept intrigued me, the anime style didn't, but the sheer amount of cursing was what struck me. I found it hilarious, because it felt like the actors were either forcing the emotion through cursing or hesitant to curse in the first place.

I watched her play a few sections, and my one gripe was the pregnancy test thing. You can pick it up, gain the info, reverse time, still have the info and suffer no consequences. There didn't seem to be any reason to stick with the timeline where someone got pissed at you.

Most of the characters appeared really unlikable, but kind of funny in how lovely they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
The character models had a distinctly 'anime' feel to me. I don't know how to put my finger on it, because there's definitely a realism bend to it in the promo shots. Maybe it's because she was playing on low graphical settings?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

icantfindaname posted:

I think it's just because the models have a vaguely CGI feel to them. Unless you think Team Fortress 2 looks like anime no it doesn't really look like anime specifically, it does like slightly cartoonish though. Maybe you're using 'anime' to refer to anything cartoon-looking, I don't know

Perhaps I should have said 'anime influenced'- I think it's the face countours and the eyes. I'm not talking about DragonBall Z style giant-eyed spikey hair anime, think the character designs in more dark, serious, or hip series. It's also reminiscent of Final Fantasy to me. I don't think TF2 looks anime at all.

Again looking at the promo pics on max settings it feels more stylized realism so I'll chalk it up to the flatter colouring, funky coloured hair, and shading of low graphical settings. It's definitely a lot more appealing when maxed out even if the characters look like flat high school stereotypes.

Altogether it didn't look like a bad game, and my girlfriend praised the game for being a bit more interactive than the TellTale games she enjoys.

The cursing was hideously awful though. The actors variously felt like they didn't commit/forced it or were overzealous. A lot of times teenagers seem awkward when cursing anyway but this felt extreme.

And I believe that's the first time in history I've complained about cursing in videogames.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Beartaco posted:

"I think John Lennon once said..." had me laughing too hard.

Personally I got a huge kick out of the fact Chloe throws Max under the bus over pot after Max saved her life.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Isn't the conceit that some of your choices have long term implications further down the road than you can rewind? Like you can see the immediate aftermath and revert it, sure, but doesn't it say something to the effect of 'this choice will have long term consequences'?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Turra posted:

End of episode 4 spoilers:

As far as I can tell this applies to pretty much every episode. Girl gets shot in a lot of the possible branches.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So, uh... Why is it just assumed that Arcadia Bay getting wrecked means it's all even? Did I miss something? Why wouldn't reality keep coming apart at the seams until Chloe dies? In which case the ending isn't 'Sacrifice Arcadia Bay' so much as 'sacrifice anyone unfortunate enough to be near us forever'.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I like these ideas, Gryph, though I'm not sure a Twilight Zone esque resolution would have been received much better. Your choices still kind of don't matter.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Accordion Man posted:

Not to mention that DONTNOD clearly don't know what butterfly effect and chaos theory even mean, because the game uses them both to justify that fate is real and immutable, but both ideas run contrary to fate, i.e. both are about how time is extremely malleable and how the slightest change can have massive consequences. Its really obvious that they pulled it all out of their rear end at the last second and they used Warren as a mouthpiece. Not to mention making fate an all powerful force goes completely in the face of the game's earlier themes of understanding people and being able to affect change for the better for the people around you thanks to said empathy.

While I agree with most of your criticism here (ie. the Devs seem to be invoking an explanation they don't know much about), it's important to note fate/determinism and chaos theory are not mutually exclusive. A system can be both very unpredictable to a casual observer while still being strictly deterministic- consider those simple 'life' games (You know the ones, small pixel grids that turn individual pixels on or off based on the state of neighbouring pixels, and continue the process) and how starting conditions dramatically alter the outcomes. Despite their names, Chaos Theory does not invoke randomness at all. It merely emphasize the idea that changing inputs, even seemingly small changes, alters outcomes; often in very counterintuitive and hard to predict ways particularly over longer periods of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Ideally your choices throughout the game should have impacted what ending options were available to you, and we'd receive at least a couple additional outcomes that unlocked or were locked out based on those choices. Probably beyond the scope of their budget however.

Knowing the limiting budget, I would have been happy if the endings included a few throwaway scenes or nods to things you had done throughout the game- even just small clips that may or may not appear in the ending based on your choices. But as it stands literally nothing you did mattered up until the point where you make the final decision, and that's what bugged me about the ending. Everyone dies, or you undo everything you've done. Nothing you did mattered.

Imagine you sink a lot of effort into an RPG, powering up your characters for the final confrontation. You've really invested in your characters and the effort of preparing for this confrontation. And then you discover you can't lose to the final boss (and there are no special secret bosses either! Gasp!). Wouldn't you feel a little cheated? Yu Yevon flashback

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 28, 2016

• Locked thread