Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Wow, what a game.

Meet the characters:
- A shy girl who is actually very special (and never says one reasonable thing a normal person would say)
- A quite Christian girl with zero characterisation so far
- A rebel grrrl whose stepdad is a tyrant
- A psychotic ex-soldier slash tyrant of a stepfather who is also a paranoid security guard
- A nice guy
- loving rich people
- Especially that loving rich kid
- A minority character???????
- loving principal who just DOESN'T CARE about students
- Hipster teacher who knows the shy girl is very special (unlike those loving rich people, UGH)
- loving jocks
- A girl who isn't in the game yet
- A magical Polaroid camera that can take nice photos of moving objects
- Some other stereotypes that actually are not quite as stereotypical as they look
- A lovely smartphone that doesn't allow you to make calls, because gently caress you, MUM
- An invisible Donnie Darko

I will definitely play the second episode. It's hilarious so far.

E: I also totally got the reference to 'Kickstarter'. It's like this game is taking place right now, it's like I'm not only there but also then.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

precision posted:

The game has at least five minority characters off the top of my head and none feel like tokenism so I dunno what yer on about mate.

Well, maybe, but I'm glad we agree on everything else.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

quadrophrenic posted:

Wait what

-The principal
-The teacher lady

literally everyone else is white, unless I'm missing something

The fat kid who sketches Max? Is he some kind of eastern european or something?

The fat kid must be from Latin America. There's also a black guy chilling with his 'harem' under a tree. The girl with a drone might be of Asian descent, too, when I think about it.

Anyway, my point was that so far minority characters aren't exactly fleshed out. Not that other characters are fleshed out, but still.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

precision posted:

Max must have that condition that makes facial recognition hard, because it happens with the security guard too. I clicked on literally four pictures of him before she commented on him being who he is.
Yep, she's got the 'tism. A perfect condition to have for an aspiring photographer.

quadrophrenic posted:

I've said it before: Chloe and the jock chilling under the tree are the only tolerable personalities I've met in this game so far

Funny, I really do like this game a lot, despite the fact that most of these characters are insufferable. I don't think I'm the only one with this opinion

I don't like like the game so far, but I most definitely ironically like it. There's some weird appeal in watching twee kids faffing about.

It feels like story writers are going to not very subtly subvert whatever clichés they're currently using. Like we already see that Max being a shy girl is actually bad for her real problem is that she doesn't care about other people. I suspect that Chloe and her real dad were maybe a bit too close and she will have to learn that her stepdad is not that bad. And everyone else will also learn some important lesson, I guess. And then there will be high-fives, intense clapping, an a cappella rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody and at least three couples will unite in marriage.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dr. Killjoy posted:

:goonsay:
Anyway spent 4 hours on the game and still didn't get all the photos so drat. Man the wait between episodes is going to be killer.
Weird allusions so far:
Max Caulfield
Blue is the Warmest Color (French movie/French devs but mainly this is going of Chloe's hair)
Madoka Magica (Vaguely occured to me when watching the trailer and someone else pointed out how the tornado/hurricane/vortex is vaguely similar to Walpurgisnacht)
Anything else you guys have noticed?

Yes. It's a Donnie Darko rip-off. Hard not to notice, really.

Also, lol at your supposed anime reference. Like. It's a tornado, mate. It's almost like a sharknado, but without sharks. Maybe the real shark... is you? Makes you think.

Oh, and the opening scene is clearly an Alan Wake reference, because there's a lighthouse, which is completely unique and a staple of the video game called Alan Wake (not to be confused with its spinoff Alan Wake's American Nightmare.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Do you mind if I ask how old you are? I'm only about 5 years removed from most of the characters and I found most of them to be fairly realistic. Teenagers are generally kind of self-obsessed knowitalls, that's just how they are. the only ones I found insufferable were Nathan (incredibly spoiled nutjob), Victoria (pretty much clipped straight out of Mean Girls) and the kid who quizzed you before he'd let you see his portfolio (just generally kind of stuck up). Everyone else was a bit annoying yeah but that's just how teens are.

Did you attend an art school? That's not how things were at my Uni.

\/\/\/ If you can't tell who 'bought' this av, you should probably cut down on watching anime.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 5, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rosalind posted:

I get the impression you're not American judging by your word choices ("uni" and "mate" standing out). I mean yes the characters are a bit exaggerated at times, but honestly this really isn't that different from the high school I attended. It's just very American teen.

I am not American, but I've consumed enough American pop culture to know that every character in the game is a stereotype from your regular high school drama. Like I said, I'm sure they're aiming to subvert a lot of things, but so far it's just too clear cut.

Caros posted:

Honestly I only think its 'different' insofar as most media tends to exaggerate certain qualities simply because they need to get character traits across in a more speedy fashion. I'm sure if they had sixty hours of gameplay they'd probably tone down some of the character traits, but in an episodic game like this it makes sense to emphasize certain character traits to get them across in a more efficient manner.

I'm a decade and some removed from high school and it sure as gently caress felt pretty accurate to me.
The first episode of Telltale's Walking Dead did a way better job at establishing characters without reserving too much to classic zombie apocalypse tropes. There are hints of character development in Life is Strange, but that's it, just hints. Most characters have literally zero characterisation, even though Max is supposed to know them well.

Calico Noose posted:

Why did you think it was a University? It's very clearly a boarding school for high school kids.
I was on my fresher year when I was 18.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ha-ha, it's funny because she's not British and would have likely flipped the bird, i.e. extended only her middle finger while showing the back of her fist. What a laugh.

As you can tell, I'm extremely well-versed in American customs and rituals.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If I had time-traveling powers, I would mostly use them to deliver mild burns that I couldn't come up with on spot.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Calico Noose posted:

Thats nice, lets try this again. Why can't you fathom that a university has a very different social dynamic from a high school?

Because before attending university, I attended school and can judge from my personal experience? Like where do you think French developers got their ideas of what an American High School should be like? Popular culture and personal experiences with French education.

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Shockingly enough most stereotypes have at least a tiny grain of truth in them. The spoiled rich kid, the smug jock, the social crusading teacher, there's a reason those stock characters show up in the game, it's because nearly everyone who went to an American high school knew someone who fit those descriptions.
Well, I don't know, maybe a game made for a wide international audience shouldn't have relied on characters that apparently only Americans encounter in their life. Oh, wait, it's actually just that the characters are nothing BUT stereotypes (so far) and the intensity of clichéd plot points and problems characters face is astonishing.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Caros posted:

I too think that a game depicting american teenagers in an american high school should not have them acting like american teenagers but instead like some weird hybrid of international cultures.

Yeah, no.

precision posted:

I'm sure the thread can go on with people playing the game ironically and laughing at how stupid hipsters are (you know, those people who like things ironically) but I'm just not really feeling it. Plot has been speculated, opinions given, there's not much to do until next episode but watch people bicker back and forth :\

But have we decided who's going to turn out to be a lesbian? My money is on the Christian girl. That would explain everything.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Another thing is time travel allows you to teleport somehow. How do people around you perceive it? You can revert time right in front of them and no one seems to notice that you basically appear out of nowhere.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Maleficent posted:

hella is not even some obscure or outdated thing like how out of touch with whats happening around you do you need to be to not understand regional slang

Hella?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm still hip. I know what a wifi is and I kick started my heart pacer once.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If teenagers are so insufferable, why make a game full of insufferable characters? Maybe because teenagers who will play this game don't know how insufferable they are. But that's just my theory.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
trash

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Trial and error doesn't make a puzzle. And if the diner thing at least required some attention, the shooting episode was nothing but a vicious cycle of click a thing, rewind, click another thing. It's the opposite of good use of any engine and the opposite of good in general. It's bad.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

For the engine, I meant the look of the game. The art style makes good use of the engine, everything looks really rich and colorful, and you have some cool effects like the fireball.

That's why I just called it a sort of puzzle, I thought it was a creative, if weird, way to give you some objectives. I like the way they've been doing stuff like this, its definitely a far sight more engaging than Telltales button mashing events sprinkled here and there.

Well, I agree that aesthetically the game is very pleasant. Characters' animations and models, environments, and art style are way better executed than what we usually see from Tell Tale (maybe with the exception of their latest effort with Borderlands that also looks pretty good AND is fun to play), but I'll take QQQQQQQQQQQQ for an intense action scene over knocking about a scrapyard in search of bottles every time. You also have to remember that the real equivalent to QTEs in Life is Strange are moments when something falls on you and you just have to rewind time. It's even less engaging, if anything.

Going back to the infamous fetch quest, I realise that in part it's a way to force some exploration on players, but in this particular case we learned literally nothing from visiting the graffiti shack that we didn't know before, i.e. that Chloe and Rachel were close, while exploring the area around the diner actually brought some insights into the plot and characters without being forced.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Oh man, maybe something will actually happen this episode.

We will learn an important lesson about bullying and drugs.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
This bloody game, I swear to God. Unless they're going to make switching between timelines into a game mechanic, the ending is the laziest cop-out from the story they didn't know how to develop next. If they do plan to introduce that game mechanic, however, and it's done well, my opinion of this game will skyrocket.
People keep saying that choices are more meaningful in this game than in Telltale games, but I don't think that's the case. If you pay enough attention, some things in Walking Dead, for example, constantly crop up in conversations even a season after the fact, some characters die instead of others and/or sooner or later. Maybe you weren't invested in the story as much or you didn't try different options, like you can easily do in LIS, but so far I would say decisions have at best the same impact compared to Telltale, which is minimal. LIS is just a bit more obvious in letting players know what their choices cause. Not necessarily a bad thing, but still.
This episode was better than ep. 2 gameplay-wise but still majorly lacking in that department. Let's just say that no game needs a stealth section, if it's not already central to its gameplay. I liked the part where you get keys from Frank, but other than that there was nothing to even scratch your head about.

Now for speculation and status updates.

Rapist count: Professor Photos, The Janitor (fashion magazines, a silk scarf and Rachel's pictures, drat it, Max, connect the loving dots just this once), Frank Druggo. Maybe Chloe's real dad, because there must be a catch there.

Rachel: dead, wrapped in plastic.

Chloe: definitely not a lezzer as she's got not one, but two willy wrappers on her. To be confirmed: bi??? Not kissed by her best friend on the account of being an egotistic idiot.

Kate: still dead. This was a better Bible quote for the occasion and you know it. RIP in pastel. Or not dead, but just irrelevant now.

Chubby Wiccan Girl: gets hit by everything. Will be killed by squirrels.

Max: calls someone a twee hipster without a shred of self-awareness. Not sure if she deserves Warren, but he'll probably get a friendly shag anyway. Seriously, though, I like how they handle the nice guy trope and how much more unhinged he becomes if you don't want to go to the film marathon with him. I will totally go if I can, though. And awkward teenage sex will ensue hopefully off-camera.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
^^^ Am I... Am I God of this game world? Woah. Makes you think.

Rosalind posted:

She's 18. 18 year olds are self-involved short-sighted fuckheads. Source: I spent an entire year of my life as an 18 year old.

No, only some of them. And then some more than others. Sorry about your fuckheaded teeanage year.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

epitasis posted:

she doesn't say anything like that if Kate is dead

She does. You just need to say that Chloe is responsible for her actions and she answers with the same doge-speak drivel.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Can someone explain why Max is considered a feminazi on campus? I don't think I ever did anything to warrant this. I understand that that's the idea, but there has to be something at least tangentially related to this and I can't think of anything.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I was under the impression it wasn't just him for some reason because of a graffiti.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It will end with Chloes from all parallel universes drowning Max in Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Forgall posted:

Well, it can be assault and battery instead if you'd like.

Yes, and he should have called the police to arrest Chloe for drug possession. And the game turns into a court drama. Could be interesting.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mokinokaro posted:

I did that with David's considering that someone as paranoid as him probably logs logins.

I didn't. It would be cool if it mattered, but I devs probably didn't think about that. Similarly, with the headmaster's computer, I don't think you had an option to rewind at all.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
max gay. so what

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Warren is young and is in love, guys. He's obviously inexperienced and stumbles around a lot. He probably wants to confess his love at that stupid film marathon for some reason and wants everything to go as planned. Cut him some slack.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Accordion Man posted:

Another thing to add to the pile for Warren being a pathetic creeplord is that in the diner there's a flyer put up most likely by him asking if any girls want to see the movie marathon with him.

Now that's just speculation. There's obviously only one girl for him and it's Max.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SirKibbles posted:

Most people seem to miss that Brooke says that Warren has some GPS poo poo following you around that's uh yeah....
A what? When did that happen? Also I'm pretty sure you can 'spy' on friends' location on social networks fairly easily.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lol if you enjoy this game not ironically.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Fans posted:

The way it works is like this.

Every time you don't help Kate in the game you have to get one more question right on the roof to save her. If the Bible passage turns up it means you got too many questions wrong and that is your last chance to save her by answering Matthew. If you get that wrong she jumps.

I don't think this is how it works. She positively reacted to all my answers prior to the Bible quote, and I always helped her throughout the game. Or did I miss a chance to help her somewhere?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mokinokaro posted:

That's exactly it. So much of that chat involves paying attention to details in her room.

Yes, but arguably she's changed her mind about the first quote because of suicidal thoughts. That's why I picked it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

woodenchicken posted:

I keep seeing people on the Internet asking if Remember Me is any good :v:

Because it's not very good as a game, but has an interesting premise.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

exquisite tea posted:

Alyssa unwittingly takes a bullet for you, but only if you never helped her move out of the way.

Good.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Kek is (internet) Korean for lol. It's not something Blizzard came up with.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Paul Zuvella posted:

To be fair, I'm probably the youngest person who was even an age where they played Starcraft, and even then it was several years after the fact (I'm 24).

For most of the audience of this game, this might as well be a WoW or 4chan reference, because that's the context that they have experienced it in.

It's a part of the general internet slang at this point. Just like many people have no idea about 4chan, but are constantly exposed to memes originating there through social media.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Sorry I'm late. Had to skip almost a thousand posts, too, so bear with me.

The whole alternate reality thing was completely and utterly pointless, save for introducing Max's power to travel through time using photos. Since we've only got one episode left, I strongly suspect that Max will use the selfie she's made in the very beginning to stop everything from happening, but will also need to sacrifice herself, because the alternate reality has taught us about balance or whatever. Like some stupid Donnie Darko knock off. Which this game is.

Again, sorry if this was discussed, but who the hell was Megan? I imagine they wouldn't have mentioned her without a reason. But more importantly, how 'priceless' is a pun? Also, 'bum'? I think something's gone wrong with translation there.

And, of course, lol at binders full of women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

shmee posted:

Her name is Chloe Price :rimshot:
:doh: I'm bad at remembering names.

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

How's she gonna stop the tornado, hot shot?
Jump into it and rewind it all the way back to dinosaurs. Hopefully.

• Locked thread