Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I just played through the first episode, this is extremely my poo poo. I love the decision making, and the time travel mechanic. I think the writing and dialogue feel pretty natural (for the most part. There are a couple lines where it's like... okay grandpa teens don't actually say that). The fact that they used swearing so freely helped make it feel way more natural as well. I feel like Max is an interesting protagonist. Good voice acting too.

Though next episode I'll probably spend WAY more time on every single decision and get all the information I can. It didn't occur to me, although it should've been obvious, that Max retains the information of all the outcomes after she rewinds, until the very end of the game (when Max revealed to Chloe the contents of the folders I had her look at but then reversed so they weren't touched)

I'm giving Victoria a chance, I did the screw with her option and then felt so bad I rewound and fixed it :shobon: I'll say I DO NOT regret taking a picture of the security stepdad being mean to whosits instead of intervening. I feel like having that actual evidence is gonna be more important than just the little bit it was used for near the end.

Also, in the "choices you and everyone else made" section after the credits: where is this bird whose life is in my hands??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

quadrophrenic posted:

Chloe is actually voiced by Ashly Burch of HAWP and Tiny Tina fame. If you're familiar with Tiny Tina, you'll understand what a great job Ashly Burch actually did at sounding nothing like Ashly Burch.

I knew Chloe was Ashly Burch. I was gonna say, I was impressed cause I could barely recognize her. I'm actually only SOMEWHAT familiar with Tiny Tina, I couldn't really get into Borderlands' gameplay.

Milky Moor posted:

I can't get into this. I really want to, and I think the premise is pretty neat, but being unable to skip any of the dialogue and the fact that there's so much of it (I play with subtitles) just drags me down.

I mean... you can skip dialogue if you rewind and retry a conversation, but it is a story/dialogue driven game. It'd kind of defeat the purpose to skip over it.

Accordion Man posted:

I don't think this is going to be only the case for too long, but I'm hoping they don't go full out supernatural.

There's definitely something wackanuts going on. There's some weird graffiti you can see near the Lighthouse that Max is like "wtf is this"

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 1, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

That spoiler made me wish I had talked to every single person. I intentionally avoided some characters. I really didn't take advantage of the rewinding time thing as much as I could have.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Meis posted:

this game is loving great

i wonder what the consequences of watering my plant will be

I unironically REALLY REALLY want to know what watering my loving plant is going to have an effect on later.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Max is into :allears: skate boys :allears: anyway, you were done before you began WARREN :colbert:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Rincewind posted:

This is so stupid. He's filming his family members without their knowledge or permission, taking weird pictures of teenage girls at his workplace, and he's physically abusing Chloe! Yeah, I'm sure he's really genuinely concerned about Chloe in his own way when he's slapping her in the face. It's for her own good!

...he didn't say it was okay and "for her own good" that he did that, he was saying David probably has actual good reasons for being as crazy paranoid he is being. He's also a huge dick. I don't think RightClickSaveAs was justifying child abuse

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

If it does end that way, I'm fine with that because I'd still be interested in how letting Chloe die would've stopped the tornado from destroying the town. If we're going by the speculation in this thread. Like letting Chloe get shot isn't somehow going to stop a tornado from forming, so I want to know what exactly would change that with keeping Chloe alive. Not to mention, besides your own time travel powers, there seems to be some hints of something supernatural going on, and there's still the mystery of where Ashley went.

I found Donnie Darko stupid and boring, but I'm pretty gripped by this already. Yeah it could end in the way everyone is expecting, but even if it does, there's still plenty of other stuff in the story that I think is interesting/mysterious.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

precision posted:

I think Warren has potential.

Heh, yeah maybe if he learns to skateboard :smug:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I'm talking about how the game never says "hey that rear end in a top hat security guard at Blackwell is Chloes step-dad" until the last 5 minutes of the episode. Meanwhile Max is looking at a photo of the security guard in Chloes house and is like "who the hell is this guy?"

:confused: when I played, she absolutely commented on the security guard being Chloe's stepdad, she even said something like "of course" or "I knew it!" or whatever. What picture are you looking at where she says "who is this guy"?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

RightClickSaveAs posted:

It took her a long time to figure it out. She sees a picture of him as a soldier, and comments on that, then I think she sees his name on an ID card or something lying around, but she doesn't explicitly figure it out until she gets to the garage. That's how it went for me. Maybe it's the way the game is paced, and they expected people to go straight to the garage before snooping around the rest of the house?

I don't know about the soldier picture, but she absolutely knows when she looks at the ID, and says as much.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

No you don't get to choose to tell her or not, it just does it assuming you checked out the tv and files. I imagine if you beelined for the tools and peaced you don't mention it at all (since you wouldn't know).

It is a little strange you don't get the option to not tell her though, especially if you don't hide and Chloe throws you under the bus

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hopkins FBI posted:

It leaked online not long after the first episode came out. Spoilers: the writing is still garbage. Hella.

The writing was fine you whiny grandpas

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

happy birthday!! :)

This action will have consequences later

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Is that in America? There's no option to buy Episode 2 by itself on my Steam, just episode 1 and then 2-5 for 17 bucks

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Yes I know. I want just the Episode 2. I have the spare money for the single episode but not the season pass.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Really happy to hear that Kate can either die or live, though I question how much her living will matter if she stays in the hospital the whole time. She died on my playthrough and it was a masterstroke by the devs to take away the time traveling powers because you really get used to having them as a crutch for two episodes and then suddenly it's taken away during one of the times you needed it most. It made the whole scene really tense and I was genuinely sad that I couldn't save Kate.

Luckily my decisions did lead to that motherfucker Nathan being suspended. It didn't feel right putting the blame on Madsen at all. He obviously helped push Kate toward suicide, but none of this would've happened (presumably) if it wasn't for Nathan. Though who knows, the whole story doesn't fully add up with him. Something weird is totally going on.. Also goddamn, this game makes me feel for any girl that has to deal with a "friendzoned" dude. My god. I rejected Warren's poo poo at every chance I could. I turned down his Planet of the Apes bullshit. I watched his experiment blow up in his face then didn't help him figure it out. Every time Warren showed up I rolled my eyes and I honestly got kind of pissed when there was no option at the end to push him away when he put his arm around me during the eclipse. BRO. Take a hint. Max likes skater boys OKAY? I hope I'm not alone in not putting up with that nonsense.

It SOUNDS like, from reading this thread, that actions are actually having a consequence and making the story somewhat different for everyone. Hopefully this trend keeps happening and the story REALLY becomes different beasts for each player. Also I really hope we get to actually control stopping time in the future, instead of having that be just a temporary thing. I thought that part was so cool Kate's suicide aside.

Can anything happen with the woman who doesn't want to be late for the bus and the hobo with the lottery ticket?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Another Person posted:

I want nothing to happen to the dude with the lotto ticket, I want him to get his million dolla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od3cjyHctjo

Oh trust me, I'm asking specifically because I want to do everything in my power to get this guy his riches. I may have stood around longer than I should of to see if the bus eventually comes around

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Karnegal posted:

I feel like there's got to be more to her than just being a rich bitch. Her friends seem to indicate as much. Not saying she isn't a jerk, but she's not on Nathan's level.

Yeah. At the beginning of the game I instantly regretted being nice to her in episode 1. But then by the end of chapter 2, I was too loving pissed off at Nathan to be very mad at Victoria. And then when he comes into the room while she's in there crying, looking super creepy himself, I was like okay something is hosed up here.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Rosalind posted:

None that I can find on Deviantart. Also can't find any Max x Warren either. There's hardly any Warren art at all.

Warren x David's Gun I could get behind

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Was anyone else confused on how the bottle part proved anything as far as Max's powers are concerned? The diner stuff made sense but the bottle thing just left me confused on how that proved anything.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

D_W posted:

They just announced the release date as May 19th!

On my day off too! :dance:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

WHAT THE gently caress you can OVERWATER your plant by watering it two episodes in a row. My plant is DEAD NOW. This is bullshit :argh:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Genetic Toaster posted:

Max's mom tells you not to drown it!

I missed or forgot her advice :negative:

Also trying to photograph the loving squirrel playing with the fireflies took me forever

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I just had a really weird bug when I was loving with Frank in the diner. Both the beans and the drink causes him to rage out and attack you.. After trying to rewind back to normal it kept acting like Max was repositioned somewhere else but the camera and stuff would lock on to where I was. It kept getting frozen in the black and white so I eventually had to restart from the last checkpoint. That was kind of annoying, cause I have to do all the stuff in this area all over again.

Edit: Christ the ending :psyboom: Also A lot of people seem to think that Max and Rachel are the same person, but I assumed the homeless woman was Rachel. Also I have no idea what they have planned for the rest of the story, but I do think it would've been cool if you could have chosen to not save Chloe's dad, and then people really would have two completely different playthroughs of the rest of the game. Also, Chloe you totally want Max. Just admit it sister! We can run off together and Warren can sit alone with his creepy bomb making word document.

Also I liked a couple details showing the origin of how some characters talk. Max completely gets the hella thing from Chloe, and a lot of what Max says is completely inspired by Chloe's dad.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 19, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I guess it's more that it seems like the obvious answer so I'm hoping it's not. I can't really argue any of those points

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sardonik posted:

I disagree. Such a big disruption, done in a natural and understandably shortsighted way is just what this series needed. I think it's really breaking the mold of the telltale story progression arc. By seeming to reject outright previous player choices, it adds a sort of feeling of player helplessness, which in my estimation was somewhat immersive at least. I wouldn't sweat it though, there's no way in hell they just shredded the alpha timeline outright, there's too many stories in it to be told, and that homeless woman is totes Rachel, which is why she seems to be so believing of what you say to her. :colbert:

To answer an earlier post, my reasoning for thinking the homeless woman is Rachel is because when you talk to her in episode 2, Max asks her how long she's been living in Arcadia Bay, and she responds "a thousand years". I think at first glance you would take that as hyperbolic, but what if she's not totally lying when she says that? Rachel could have been traveling in time so much, she naturally aged herself (or she aged faster as a side effect of the time travel), and finally at some point she lost her ability to time travel (passed over to Max?) and now she's stuck where she is as an old homeless woman

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

sometimes a homeless person is just a homeless person, guys

Don't be such a Prescott

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oh my god what if the "optional" polaroids you can take allow you to warp to those specific moments in time :aaa:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

precision posted:

No, I meant that we've seen a lot of evidence that David and Frank at least aren't actually total villain scum, but the way they talk and act in most of the game makes them seem a lot worse. Like, for those characters, their "deep dark secret" is that they're nice guys (or were at some point). I just wish the script/acting made it easier to see them as real people, instead of cartoon villains.

I don't think we're meant to view David or Frank as "nice guys" even if they aren't the villain. David might be trying to uncover what's going on and in general working toward the greater good, but his methods are lovely and he's an abrasive rear end in a top hat and a lovely stepdad. Frank is just a straight up rear end in a top hat who just happens to have a soft spot for his dog and for Rachel. But then, EVERYONE had apparently liked Rachel, I imagine because she kept time traveling to do or say all the right things to everyone. Their voice acting seems fine to me

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hahaha yeah that annoyed me too. The milk I was like "okay fine" because I can see that being left out for not too long. But who gets home with groceries and doesn't put their refrigerated stuff in the fridge right away? The bag was just left at the door!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I didn't change Warren's grade cause I didn't want to give him a BETTER grade :colbert:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I do like that Max actually calls Chloe out on how she's been acting toward her though and Chloe actually apologizes for it. It's understandable why Chloe is the way she is, but it doesn't completely excuse her behavior and I'm glad they had Max actually say something about it at least once.

Though actually there seemed to be a lot of things in this episode that were directly responding to what players were probably thinking, like her having to get the chair to reach the thing on the high shelf. When I first saw it up there and saw only one option to get it I was like "Oh come on, this never ends well, why can't I grab the chair?". So that was pretty funny

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Warren is the most accurate portrayal of Nice Guy™ and people that defend him are crazy. Yeah I got beat up YOU OWE ME lol. Pfft

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Holy poo poo :lol:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

seravid posted:

Max and Chloe weren't just your typical school friends that (more or less naturally) lose touch after a while; they were very close with regular sleepovers and whatnot. I know that doesn't mean it wouldn't eventually end, but the friendship was going strong at the time of Chloe's beloved father's death and Max still decided to disappear off the map. Not being there - via whatever means was available - when she was most needed is 100% a gently caress up on Max's part, you can't handwave it with "welp I guess life happened v:shobon:v".

Er, did I miss something or did Max specifically choose to move? I assumed it was a typical move where the whole family moves, so so does Max. Then Max comes back to go to the art school. I was under the impression that life literally did happen

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Turra posted:

It's coming Tuesday! Here's the trailer

This trailer is HYPE AS FUUUUUCK :woop:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

w00tazn posted:

wowowowowow

i wonder how all of that will play out. is Ep4 going to be longer than the others?

That might be why it's taken longer to come out than the other episodes. It looks like a lot of crazy poo poo goes down. That + if you're one to explore every inch of an area for poo poo, it could be a pretty long episode. This is only episode 4 too, the trailer for episode 5 is gonna be bonkers

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Episode 3 and Witcher 3 came out like the same day or around the same time. I did this game first since it's a lot quicker. So now now that episode 4 is out after playing a bunch of Witcher 3:

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has been instinctively trying to use your Witcher Senses when exploring places in this game :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I just beat it. I want to give props to the writing for two specific scenes: First off, the decision to help Chloe kill herself in the alternate reality. You get THREE choices instead of just yes or no, and I must have sat at the screen for like 2 full minutes just like going over in my head what the consequences would be. Not just "poo poo should I be doing this, I mean this is what she wants, but then again she's not that old but then again" and also "what about when their parents come in, surely they'd instantly know what happened and know it was me and then ugh what poo poo". Of course, you time hop right after so those aren't concerns after all but it did make me stop and really think about which decision would be better. Also I liked that the alternate reality had a feel of everything not really feeling right. Like both realities had problems, but THIS one where Chloe's dad didn't die was still the wrong one. The atmosphere of the place just felt wrong.

I also want to give props to how they kind of faked me out with the Jefferson reveal. When you go into the underground bunker, everything just seems a little too perfect to implicate Nathan. It was one of those mystery things where Nathan being behind it was a little too obvious. So I was like okay Nathan clearly behind this, at least not completely, and I'm going to have to figure out to do with this Rampaging Chloe. But the game then throws a bunch of references to Sean Prescott, Nathan's father, at you repeatedly up until the final scene of the game. It really strongly tries to hint at you that the real mastermind behind everything is Nathan's father, and it completely blindsided me and made me completely forget about any suspicious of Jefferson I had. So it helped the final reveal

Also I'm betting 100% that the selfie you take with Warren is going to be how you're going to save Chloe and stop Mr. Jefferson. The alternate reality thing was clearly meant to be a set up for that, showing us how the Polaroid timehop works. She can't use any of the Polaroids she takes during the course of the game because she's not in the picture during any of them (besides the very beginning if you did that, which might come up?).

Major props also to the atmosphere of the Vortex Club party near the end. The music, the flashing lights, the really cramped/trapped feeling of it all, did a really good job of making everything feel really tense and off kilter.

My one complaint is that the Frank scene in this episode was kind of a pain in the rear end to get the resolution to it I wanted. It wouldn't be so bad if the scene skipping skipped from choice to choice instead of forcing you to skip periodically throughout the conversation. So there was a lot of trial and error that took too long. I do hope it pays off though and Frank helps save either Max or Max and Chloe, and avenge Rachel

edit: Oh yeah, and as much as Warren annoys me, I am shocked that letting Warren beat the loving hell out of Nathan wasn't the more popular choice. That poo poo was so satisfying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

I didn't actually use the Rachel photo option, I used "You know Rachel" and that seemed to work as a whole "She was closer to you than maybe anyone" type thing.

It took forever for me cause I kept discarding the photo and letter options as pointless because surely that would set him off because that proved you were in his RV. Then the photo option actually worked, and that actually kind of annoyed me.

• Locked thread