Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

kastein posted:

I don't "get" dogs but it is entirely a stupid people problem as noted. My neighbors have 3 awful, barking, making GBS threads, chasing, angry, badly trained ill tempered dogs that I hate all summer because they bark at my house for 20 to 30 minutes if I so much as look out my own windows in their line of sight.

They also have two awful, screaming, angry, badly trained ill mannered children. I made the connection and that was that, the dogs aren't the problem.

Also the super bowl is loving stupid and annoys me but it isn't quite as bad as working on a rusty 3.0L Vulcan. gently caress that thing so hard. At least the manifolds are ready to go on as soon as my M22x1.5 tap shows up to clean out the EGR bung threads.

PS gently caress EGR so hard why does anyone do this bullshit, manifold looks like a coal miners lung, stop making your engines smell their own farts god dammit

It's posts like these that make me wish you could upvote individual posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Holy poo poo what an ending to the superbowl, the Shehawks had it in the bag and completely hosed it up.

They got a gift from the Packers and gave it right back to the Pats :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was probably the best Super Bowl I've ever watched live.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I don't have any clue what 99% of people are talking about, and I am OK with that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

PS gently caress EGR so hard why does anyone do this bullshit, manifold looks like a coal miners lung, stop making your engines smell their own farts god dammit

I'm so glad for a combination of the fact that GM engines can have EGR removed from the ECM quite easily, and that they also figured out how to make later engines get by without it just with a different cam profile.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

That was probably the best Super Bowl I've ever watched live.

The best Bowls are always the ones you dont watch.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
My dog was a real shithead as a puppy but he settled down a lot when he got a bit older and we got him some proper training. He wouldn't bark, he would nip and do things like pull clothes off the washing line. He's great now though, at one point in time my mother asked us about re-homing him with a friend of hers at a farm upstate (actually re-homed, not Old Yella'd) and literally over night he improved.

kastein posted:

PS gently caress EGR

Something we can all agree on.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
So many people I know have suddenly become die hard seahawk fans, and if it wasn't for how annoying they all are I would probably like them a lot more. Laughed my rear end off at that interception, and the comments I'm seeing on facebook right now are great.

kastein posted:

Part of me wants to put in something like an aem ems-4, do cams, high comp pistons, an exhaust, and ditch the egr. The other part wants to just swap in a wrx engine. The non-turbo option is pretty dumb, so I just drive my car as is.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 2, 2015

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I got two kids and one dog and one catte. The catte is an rear end in a top hat, literally the most expensive pet I've ever had, he's destroyed more poo poo than I care to count. Notable events have been several couches, one feather comforter, and one carpet. He hates all of us except my daughter, who now adores him. He spends most his nights crying loudly at the darkness, he spends the days frightfully hiding under things outside the house, or destroying something inside. He doesn't kill mice or do anything useful, he will attack you if you come too close.

The kids are awesome, we have lots of fun doing stupid kids things, the dog is an Australian Shepard, she's awesome. Literally the smartest animal I've ever known. She does have trouble letting go her instinct to heard children into corners, but I think that's pretty funny.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jamal posted:

So many people I know have suddenly become die hard seahawk fans, and if it wasn't for how annoying they all are I would probably like them a lot more. Laughed my rear end off at that interception, and the comments I'm seeing on facebook right now are great.

The best is living in Indiana and see all the incredibly butthurt Colts fans losing their poo poo about that fight.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm so glad for a combination of the fact that GM engines can have EGR removed from the ECM quite easily, and that they also figured out how to make later engines get by without it just with a different cam profile.

You really want to talk about stupid, let's talk EGR and diesels.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

trouser chili posted:

I got two kids and one dog and one catte. The catte is an rear end in a top hat, literally the most expensive pet I've ever had, he's destroyed more poo poo than I care to count. Notable events have been several couches, one feather comforter, and one carpet. He hates all of us except my daughter, who now adores him. He spends most his nights crying loudly at the darkness, he spends the days frightfully hiding under things outside the house, or destroying something inside. He doesn't kill mice or do anything useful, he will attack you if you come too close.

That's the behaviour of a stressed out, unhappy cat. Get a cat behaviourist and find out what's stressing the animal out. Most likely the cat needs some private space, or an elevated perch where she can go when she needs space away from the kids and/or dog.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

HotCanadianChick posted:

That's the behaviour of a stressed out, unhappy cat. Get a cat behaviourist and find out what's stressing the animal out. Most likely the cat needs some private space, or an elevated perch where she can go when she needs space away from the kids and/or dog.

Some cats are just assholes. The destruction is quite possibly him needing something to claw from time to time which means you should consider getting him/her a scratching post, but aside from that it sounds almost exactly like my cat.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Somehow jeep didn't use it from 91 through like 04 or so at the very least on a motor firmly rooted in the 60s. Yet Ford couldn't make a clean-sheet all new metric native engine design in the late 80s work without EGR even in 2000.

Retards. Never trust a person who thinks 8mm is large enough for a head bolt on anything but a motorcycle or acvw, either.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

E: Why am I ranting about dogs here of all places. Just ignore my poo poo.

In other 'I need my head examined' news, I've spent the last few hours blenderizing things with medieval battlebots in a game called Besiege:

Such a good game, and only $7!

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 2, 2015

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
The only good thing about working FedEx was all the cool dogs. I was delivering to a well off neighborhood though where most people had their garages open in the summer and let the dogs chill in the yard, most just watched me while laying in the cool grass but some liked to play around. One wanted to play fetch with my handheld computer and ran away with it, it would've been cuter if it wasn't winter at the time but I still laughed.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Huh, I guess sharks really do have feet after all.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

That shark looks so sad. It must miss the sea.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it.

Had a fight with the girlfriend after an awesome day together over the dumbest poo poo.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

jamal posted:

Having grown up here I'm pretty much used to being disappointed by the hawks so the last few years have been nice as a football fan, but whatever, every team has it's ups and downs. I don't get the rabid fans that think we can't lose, but it is pretty cool to see everyone get all excited about it as a city. That's a pretty uncommon thing for Seattle, and is a nice changeup from the fake nice politeness that is rampant here.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Rhyno posted:

God drat it.

Had a fight with the girlfriend after an awesome day together over the dumbest poo poo.

I had a fight with a girl today before the first date even happened. *jumps out of plane, pulls ripcord*

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

God drat it.

Say you're sorry, squash it and move on. If she can't apologize back and move on as well then you've got bigger problems.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Say you're sorry, squash it and move on. If she can't apologize back and move on as well then you've got bigger problems.

I did, like 7 times. She's just pissed. We were going to take a 2 day trip for V-Day but the hotel rates are loving crazy since we waited too long and my hookup for free tickets to the event we were going to fizzled out so we went from like $175 to $500 for our trip and I just don't feel like spending that much money.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So we were all on track to walk out the door literally at closing time. I got back from my last delivery, and literally the only thing left to do was wash 3 dishes, drain the sinks, switch off the ovens, and turn off the open sign (we had to wait until 10 to turn off the sign and lock the doors, but we stop taking orders 15 minutes before close). Ovens had already been off for 10 minutes when the phone rang.

Customer stated they got only half of their order (different driver delivered it, and I didn't take the order over the phone). We pull it up, and... apparently they wanted 2 pizzas, and got a half and half instead. And they wanted it fixed tonight instead of taking a credit.

I looked up the address, recognized them as a regular who also tips well, and they're on my way home (they're less than 1 mile from the house). Boss sighs, we try to fire up the main (middle) oven... and get a nice strong gas smell and the temp on it keeps decreasing (it was already down to about 215F - it cooks at 460), then an ignitor error popped up on the LCD. The top oven is only used for thin crust and bone-out wings (shortest cook time, lowest cook temp). Had to fire up the bottom oven (which has the longest cook time), which was down to 210, and took about 15 minutes to heat back up. And 30 minutes to cool down enough to shut down on its own (forced air oven - we're usually out the door before the ovens finish cooling, they shut down on their own once they drop below 200). Had to adjust the cook time on it for this order.

Upside: I wound up with an extra 40 minutes on my check. He'd told the customer all the drivers had gone home for the night, and that one of the cooks would drop it off on his way home. Except I know drat well the customer recognized me, I've delivered plenty of orders to him. Other upside: got tipped $6. Last upside: I get to claim the mileage for my drive home tonight (minus 1 mile); it's a 4 mile drive. It's not much, but I do plan to itemize my deductions for 2015 (keeping fuel receipts, maintenance receipts, etc).

Nobody was particularly happy about it, but I'll take the extra 40 minutes on my paycheck (I walked out the door at 10:30 instead of 10, since I had to wait for the oven to heat back up, then cut the order, shut off the oven, and wash the few utensils I used for the order - and my boss adjusted my clockout time to 10:40 to make up for dropping it off on my way home).

Randomness: the apartment complex our store owner lives at is rather notoriously difficult to navigate (every building has its own address; some buildings have multiple addresses, depending what portion of the building you're in); I know the property very well, since the property lets us hand out coupons at every door if we handle handing out their monthly event calendars (thanks to the store owner living there). Saw a Pizza Hut driver looking very confused outside the most confusing building, asked him if he needed help getting in. He had no idea how to get into the building, and the customer wasn't answering the phone. Asked to see his ticket, told him I was going to the same part of the building, and told him to follow me. Gave him the gate code, and told him exactly where in the building that apartment was. He works for the franchise I used to work for (just a different store), so we got to bullshit a bit while walking. Turns out the little Jet's I work at was just barely trailing them in sales figures/# of orders for the day, and they have a far bigger delivery area. Made me chuckle a little.

kastein posted:

Somehow jeep didn't use it from 91 through like 04 or so at the very least on a motor firmly rooted in the 60s.

The Ecotec family is pretty firmly rooted in 60s technology as well (a mix of Opel and Saab). No EGR on my 2006.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 2, 2015

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Sitting at work using the indeed app to look for other jobs in my area. How much would I hate internet sales, or car concierge at a local dealership?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I did, like 7 times. She's just pissed. We were going to take a 2 day trip for V-Day but the hotel rates are loving crazy since we waited too long and my hookup for free tickets to the event we were going to fizzled out so we went from like $175 to $500 for our trip and I just don't feel like spending that much money.

So she's mad you don't want to spend the money? Tell her you'll go another day when the prices aren't inflated because of a bullshit "holiday".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

So she's mad you don't want to spend the money? Tell her you'll go another day when the prices aren't inflated because of a bullshit "holiday".

She had to jump through some hoops to get the days off so her anger is a bit justified. She did use some of my recent purchases as ammo in our fight. I'm sure it'll blow over by morning.

One point I did make is that the weather in two weeks could be so bad we wouldn't be able to make the 3 hour trip. She reluctantly agreed on that.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

kastein posted:

I don't "get" dogs but it is entirely a stupid people problem as noted. My neighbors have 3 awful, barking, making GBS threads, chasing, angry, badly trained ill tempered dogs that I hate all summer because they bark at my house for 20 to 30 minutes if I so much as look out my own windows in their line of sight.

They also have two awful, screaming, angry, badly trained ill mannered children. I made the connection and that was that, the dogs aren't the problem.

Also the super bowl is loving stupid and annoys me but it isn't quite as bad as working on a rusty 3.0L Vulcan. gently caress that thing so hard. At least the manifolds are ready to go on as soon as my M22x1.5 tap shows up to clean out the EGR bung threads.

If you get desperate you can always throw poisoned bait over the fence, that would shut them up.

As for the dogs I suggest having friendly quite word with their owners otherwise just report them to the local shire/council/whatever they call it in America.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

leica posted:

I'm all for doing poo poo but its also OK to be sensible about spending money.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I'm all for doing poo poo but its also OK to be sensible about spending money.

It wasn't a big deal until the cost of the trip basically doubled. It just feels like throwing money away. Once we get past May 1st and don't have to pay rent anymore I'll feel differently.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

It wasn't a big deal until the cost of the trip basically doubled. It just feels like throwing money away. Once we get past May 1st and don't have to pay rent anymore I'll feel differently.

Speaking of throwing money away, my lady friend decided at some point she'd like to go to a hotel which costs £500 a night. I just laughed. I can spend a week in Barcelona and have a loving great time for that kinda money.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I can't even begin to imagine the luxuries that would have to be provided for me to pay £500 a night for a hotel room out of my own pocket.

alternate.eago posted:

I'm sorry I've been gone for so long goons, work has been hell with the new boss, it's bad enough I'm refreshing my resume, and it sucks because this has pretty much been my dream job until the beginning of January.

Welcome back! :) Now go post in the AISS thread! :colbert:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

One of my deliveries tonight (.. .last night now) was to a "loft" style hotel (ironically named "aloft")

285 sq ft per room. Well north of $100/night, but goddamn nice rooms and a bar straight out of Austin Powers.

They do have a kickass bar though. There's a competitor about 2 miles away named NYLO that has, IMO, nicer rooms, and a rooftop pool (and even nicer bar), but costs more than twice as much. NYLO's rooms are basically bare cement with exposed wiring, and cost about as much as my car payment... at least aloft has a small amount of sound deadening.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 2, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I have a catte on my shoulder. It's kinda odd as this cat has been making a point of seeking out me out and being a lap cat since Stig died. Just reinforces my view cats know a lot more about what is going on than otherwise realised and completly understand when their humans are misreble / happy etc. This one even greets us when we get home.

quote:

I can't even begin to imagine the luxuries that would have to be provided for me to pay £500 a night for a hotel room out of my own pocket.

Probably involves hookers and blowjobs

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

trouser chili posted:

You really want to talk about stupid, let's talk EGR and diesels.

The EGR "fell off" my Turbo diesel after I pulled the cross over pipe at 100K kms and found a 15mm thick layer of black sludge all on every surface of the intake post EGR.

I use the port on the exhaust manifold as a mount for my EGR gauge thermocouple now. On some occasions the lack of inspections in this state are crazy (you see some absolute deathtrap shitboxes running around still) but the ability to remove bullshit like this is worth it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cat Terrist posted:

Probably involves hookers and blowjobs

I just watched The Wolf of Wall Street last night, so that was pretty much also my mental image of $500+/night hotel rooms.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

bolind posted:

Apparently there's a roll top bath at the bottom of the beds. To be honest with you though I did say "they'd have to suck my cock as soon as I walked in the door..." so I think we're all thinking along the same lines here

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Work requires every team to come up with at least 2 health & safety concerns a month as part of our new bullshit daily reporting meetings. That's every team, regardless of whether they're on the machine shop floor, test house of firmly rooted in an office like my team.

I think our higher ups are disappointed that the only safety concerns we can come up with each month are wet leaves outside the door and noxious odours permeating the air from one particular desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I burnt my wrist on my exhaust today because I stupidly didn't let it cool down before I tried to crawl under my car. It wouldn't be so bad except the big rear end bandage makes it look like I tried to slit my wrists. Tomorrow's gonna be an interesting day at work. :v:

• Locked thread