Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I had it for the first time about a year ago, as far as I can tell from an expired diet coke (like 4 yrs exp). It was baaad. It kicked in after I left work and went to visit my new GF, who was housesitting her parents recently finished three-year Craftsman mansion remodel.

Imagine kneeling in front of the spotless toilet in the spotless bathroom, forcefully projectile vomiting while trying not to splatter stomach acid on the intricate marble tilework or handmade brazilian mahogany cabinetry. Then, imagine going back to bed in the guest room and waking up an hour later, slowly realizing you have poo poo the foulest brew imagineable all over your side of the Stickley bed and nice sheets.

It was a nightmare. We're still together though :3:

She's a keeper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

I have no wife or girlfriend but my land lady who lives downstairs was nice enough to go get me some things. Maybe I can get her to leave me the house in her will.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

mariooncrack posted:

I'm legitimately curious, what do you put in chili without beans? I put corn in mine, which is apparently a no-no.

Chili without beans is just too-thin taco filling.

Onion, green pepper, chilis, corn, red beans, kidney beans, cannelini beans, black beans... my chili is full of stuff.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Communism posted:

Onion, green pepper, chilis, corn, red beans, kidney beans, cannelini beans, black beans... my chili is full of stuff.

Chilli is meat and peppers. You're making vegetable soup.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

loving heathen. Chili is meat, sauce and peppers. A case could maybe be made for freshly cut white onions on top with shredded sharp chedder, but more that than is just wrong. :colbert:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Ozmiander posted:

Chilli is meat and peppers. You're making vegetable soup.

This man is correct.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Chili is food I could go for right now. gently caress I'm cold right now.

On a semi-related note, I saw this today.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

My chili recipe includes canned tomato soup and pinto beans, it's not 'right' but gently caress it this poo poo is delicious.
I wonder if The Great Chili Debate is a thing in Mexico. Or if Japanese food forums have flamewars over the 'proper' stuff to put in ramen.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Oh good chili chat. At least it's not more information about the internal states of goons bowels.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Cakefool posted:

Oh good chili chat. At least it's not more information about the internal states of goons bowels.

Input = Output

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

If they remained internal, this thread wouldn't be quite what it is right now.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Goober Peas posted:

Input = Output

Hello.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

mariooncrack posted:

She's a keeper
Holy poo poo what an understatement! I couldn't do it.

Tommychu posted:

I wonder if The Great Chili Debate is a thing in Mexico.
Hahaha what makes you think it's Mexican?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tommychu posted:

My chili recipe includes canned tomato soup and pinto beans, it's not 'right' but gently caress it this poo poo is delicious.
I wonder if The Great Chili Debate is a thing in Mexico. Or if Japanese food forums have flamewars over the 'proper' stuff to put in ramen.

Chili, at least as Americans have it, is not Mexican.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

nm posted:

Chili, at least as Americans have it, is not Mexican.

It's Tex-Mex, if anything. But mostly Texan.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I have never understood chili without beans. It just seems like something essential is missing when you do that :(

Also, huzzah more snow! And by huzzah I mean "Goddamnit I cannot wait for Monday when it's supposed to hit 60F." Where's NitroSpazzz? He can share my misery with me since he's only a few hours away and knows what i'm dealing with :v:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

T1g4h posted:

I have never understood chili without beans. It just seems like something essential is missing when you do that :(

You just add more meat.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Are you people that get mad about putting beans or whatever else in Chili the same people that get mad about putting LSx engines in non GM cars? Because it feels like you're doing the food version of that. :colbert:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Southwest canceled my flight so I'm not getting home until tomorrow. This makes cancelation number three in the last 5 days.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Elmnt80 posted:

loving heathen. Chili is meat, sauce and peppers. A case could maybe be made for freshly cut white onions on top with shredded sharp chedder, but more that than is just wrong. :colbert:

I make my chili with STUFF, too. Including black, pinto and kidney beans.

And I serve/eat it on pasta with some cheddar cheese on top.

Now what. :colbert:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

meatpimp posted:

You must be from Cincinnati.

Also I will say it again; chili should be thick, not soupy. Anyone who advocates for meat soup should be flayed for their beliefs.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

loving hell Austin lost its mind this morning - 140 wrecks in the city and another 50 in the county because people try driving over elevated bridges and overpasses like they normally do, except its ice.

Saw a guy in a solstice come blasting by doing 60 this morning and slam the brakes when the back end started to step out, and predictably ended up in the ditch

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

go3 posted:

hmm wonder why they feel like that

you're literally part of the problem

I don't think you understood what you were reading.

So let me re-state: The problem is that there is an "us vs. them" mentality by people who are internal business support personnel (the IT staff). They are no more entitled to an attitude like that than the custodial staff.

If you disagree with that please explain how recognizing what I said makes ME part of the problem? The only way I could see you taking that stance is if you're an Aspergers-riddled MCSE who has read too much BOFH (and took it seriously) that needs to be fired for not understanding what you were hired to do.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Mat_Drinks posted:

Are you people that get mad about putting beans or whatever else in Chili the same people that get mad about putting LSx engines in non GM cars? Because it feels like you're doing the food version of that. :colbert:

No. Because that's fine. As is putting stuff into chili, just don't call it chili. Because it's soup. Not chili.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Painting doors.

It sucks.

The end.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Motronic posted:

So let me re-state: The problem is that there is an "us vs. them" mentality by people who are internal business support personnel (the IT staff). They are no more entitled to an attitude like that than the custodial staff.

If you disagree with that please explain how recognizing what I said makes ME part of the problem? The only way I could see you taking that stance is if you're an Aspergers-riddled MCSE who has read too much BOFH (and took it seriously) that needs to be fired for not understanding what you were hired to do.
                                /

But seriously, I agree. I've replaced guys like that, and the reaction I get is always some variant of "Wait, you actually solve problems? It was that easy?"

A lot of IT people are terrible power-tripping assholes, metering out the grueltechnology to the plebes. It's lovely and doesn't help anyone actually accomplish anything.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The best kind of chili is the kind you get at Steak N' Shake.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

meatpimp posted:

I would eat this chili.

Remembered I had a £10 screwing gift card expiring today, and my angle grinder buy the dust a while ago. They had an offer on as well so my new angle grinder ended up costing £10, score.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

some texas redneck posted:

I have "unlimited" data. My mobile carrier offers "unlimited" on most of their plans, but with high speed caps (throttled to 2G speeds after 1 gig, 3 gig, 5 gigs, or no cap). My plan is unlimited @ 4G speeds for $70, with 3 gigs of tethering included.

It's been replaced by a plan that has unlimited @ 4G speeds for $80 and 5 gigs of tethering. US voice and texts are unlimited on both plans, and I don't tether enough to justify losing my grandfathered plan (even if I did, I have an app that does a good job at hiding tethering usage).

I've known people who've pulled several hundred gigs in a month. Supposedly T-Mobile has been sending out terms of service violation warnings to customers who use an incredible amount of bandwidth (mainly targeting people who are torrenting), but won't cap their speeds unless they ignore the warnings (which come in forms of phone calls and texts).

That's kind of lovely, only one carrier here cares about tethering and they simply don't allow it at all, the others have a line in the contract on how you shouldn't do it, but on one cares and they don't differentiate between tethering and other data. If you hit your cap, you hit your cap no matter how. Some of them did try to ban people from using their data to call with Skype or other voip services that competed with the calling part of the business though, but in the end they just gave up and now every carrier offers domestic unlimited calling and messaging on all but the cheapest plans (sub $10).

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Raluek posted:

/

Dude so spot on. Ever since he got that avatar all of his posts are narrated by Ron Swanson in my head. It makes the words have greater confidence.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Raluek posted:

A lot of IT people are terrible power-tripping assholes, metering out the grueltechnology to the plebes. It's lovely and doesn't help anyone actually accomplish anything.
The best thing is when you do something that they have declared to be impossible (or locked down so that only they can do it, and no they aren't going to) and then refuse to tell them how you did it. :laugh:

I will say that there are certain career paths that seem to just be a magnet for people who have no concept that they're facilitators, not decision-makers.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Bovril Delight posted:

loving hell Austin lost its mind this morning - 140 wrecks in the city and another 50 in the county because people try driving over elevated bridges and overpasses like they normally do, except its ice.

I don't understand how someone with the username 'bovril delight' lives in Austin ;)

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

So, between the C4 go-kart episode of Roadkill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD3y7ylpqO8

And the Team Zorro Camaro trophy truck:

I have this strange desire to see a C4 trophy truck. Like, custom fabbed body panels, lexan rear hatch to cover the spare tires / etc., big fuckoff brushguard and spotlights everywhere. There need to be more sports / muscle cars done up trophy truck style, damnit.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Speaking of BOFHs, I really, really want to be one when it comes to my dad's computer. Nothing like spending an afternoon over at my parents' place, cleaning all the malware off my dad's computer for the umpteenth time, and locking that thing down would make my task so much easier. What is frustrating about this is every time I do it, I make sure all the tools like as blockers, anti-virus and automatic updates are working properly, and every time he finds a way to get around it. After I finish (like I will be shortly), we have "the talk", where I tell him that maybe is isn't a good idea to search for " free ..." on Google and mash the first link that comes up with no thought given...that sort of stuff. Every time, he pretends to listen and the cycle repeats every six to nine months.

At least my mom is so computer illiterate that she doesn't even have the knowledge to end up finding potential malware sources, much less bypassing all the protection in place :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MrChips posted:

Speaking of BOFHs, I really, really want to be one when it comes to my dad's computer. Nothing like spending an afternoon over at my parents' place, cleaning all the malware off my dad's computer for the umpteenth time, and locking that thing down would make my task so much easier. What is frustrating about this is every time I do it, I make sure all the tools like as blockers, anti-virus and automatic updates are working properly, and every time he finds a way to get around it. After I finish (like I will be shortly), we have "the talk", where I tell him that maybe is isn't a good idea to search for " free ..." on Google and mash the first link that comes up with no thought given...that sort of stuff. Every time, he pretends to listen and the cycle repeats every six to nine months.

At least my mom is so computer illiterate that she doesn't even have the knowledge to end up finding potential malware sources, much less bypassing all the protection in place :v:

TeamViewer on the computers of your parents and family that rely on you for such a thing is a godsend.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
One of my root canals I had two weeks ago fell apart. Like, the tooth has mushroomed and the outer ring has peeled apart like a bananaed rifle barrel. The only thing left is the center root canal part. Neither the endodontist who did the canals or the dentist that did the referral are answering, and I can't afford a trip to the ER (and I know they can't do anything about it).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait the endodontist responded. "Pound sand" is their response, in a nutshell.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Tomarse posted:

I don't understand how someone with the username 'bovril delight' lives in Austin ;)

Everyone loves Bovril

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Bovril Delight posted:

Everyone loves Bovril

Are you James May?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

meatpimp posted:

gently caress yeah. 2nd day chili over maccaroni with shredded cheddar and maybe a little sour cream if I overdid the heat.

Motronic posted:

Or it could be that a lot of IT staff get jaded and develop this attitude after spending months and years slamming their head against users who are incapable of remembering or learning even the tiniest bit of information about the machines they rely on to do their work, and thus are constantly calling them for the same set of problems caused by pure incompetence and willful ignorance.

There's a reason Step One of any troubleshooting routine is 'Are you certain it's plugged in?'.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 1, 2015

• Locked thread