Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Induction heater guns are loving awesome. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Advent Horizon posted:

Anybody have any experience with ground source heat pumps? I just got a quote for one - $37,000, plus an additional $15,500 if we go with wells instead of trenches (we would need wells). That seems...high.

I think we all are going to need an update on this :ohdear:

I'm not completely down with english terminology here so I might be missing something, but that seems incredibly expensive. Here in Sweden everything is a shitload more expensive than even AK thanks to taxes, and my friend put in a downhole heat exchanger which they paid about 14k USD eqv for everything included (heat exchanger and piping, borehole 200m, installation etc). DHE are the absolutely most popular form of geo heat here.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fucknag posted:

E: Someone needs to make a graph of gross income vs how much is left after tax so this is more obvious.

(S= single M= married)

It's only for federal tax, it seems. Click for the page I borrowed it from. (Not leeching.)

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The new Danko Jones album is really good IMO. Sure, it's more of the same, but I'm ok with that.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That's the weirdest description of 50 shades I've seen in a while...

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Oh yes, oh yes indeed. Reminds me of the best "car ad with girls in it" I've seen.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

meatpimp posted:

why don't you tell us where you put your money to see yield right now?

Not going to claim being investment savvy, but my funds are up 15.49% since jan 1st and up 98.06% in the last 12 months.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of massive fit and finish issues, can someone give me the short version why I should/shouldn't get a 2006 manual GTO?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

The Pontiac badge on the front.

Powershift posted:

The Pontiac badge on the back.

So one of these is the should and one of these is the shouldn't, right? :v:

meatpimp posted:

Downsides are: no trunk, spotty parts availability, aforementioned Pontiac stuff, tire fitment in rear limits amount of power you can put down.

Upsides: LS motor is an absolute torque-monster blast. However, the same motor is available in a lot of other (better) cars.

Thanks! However, since

bolind posted:

Aren't you in Sweden?

I do, which means the LS2 and it's (later) siblings are kind of rare (the only other cars "common" here with it would be Corvettes, which is twice the price of the GTO. LS1 cars are fairly common though). Therefor I guess

nm posted:

If the answer is yes, buy the goat.

Only thing now is; it doesn't have a current inspection, and the dealer that "owns" it has a reputation for, among other things, the fact that they register their cars on their employees so that they can get away with not giving you the warranties the law requires a dealer to give. The GTO on the other hand is registered to a real estate company with the same name as the dealer? But I'll go take a look!

That also why I was more interested in "what usually fucks up on a GTO when it's mistreated".

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fo3 posted:

Ha, you're in Sweden and want to buy a commodore? That's one for the books...
Not a lot stuff up with them, just rear bushings and mounts I guess. But they are dogshit build quality IMO.
(I've mentioned before my partner has a v6 one, worse in every regard to my aussie ford falcon for everything - trim, panel and paint, brakes, NVH etc)

e:As mentioned before in a similar topic, LS1s had oil consumption issues and piston slap, but I think they sorted that out by 2005

It's a 2006 LS2, man tran. Bushings and mounts doesn't sound too bad. I own a 1972 Plymouth as well, so I'm quite used to dogshit build quality. :v:

And to clear up brand stuff; it's a US import, Pontiac hadn't been sold in Sweden since the 1940s (officially). Vauxhalls are all RHD drive, and Vauxhall hasn't been sold outside the British Isles since the 70s, all LHD Vauxhalls are Opels. Or rather it's the other way around, but still.

It's pretty easy to import US cars to Sweden, and we've always loved our american iron here. In fact, I believe we have the one of the highest concentrations of US cars in the world outside of NA.

Point is, I've owned lots of Peugeots and stuff. Annoying little poo poo faults don't bother me much, and I just want to know if it has some kind of insane, car destroying or expensive flaw like Audi timing chains or poo poo like that.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

some texas redneck posted:

What if 10GB isn't enough?

A couple of weeks ago, one swedish mobile operator increased the data limit from twelve to one hundred GB per month without raising the cost ($49 eqv) for their customers. I expect the others to follow shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

some texas redneck posted:

I have "unlimited" data. My mobile carrier offers "unlimited" on most of their plans, but with high speed caps (throttled to 2G speeds after 1 gig, 3 gig, 5 gigs, or no cap). My plan is unlimited @ 4G speeds for $70, with 3 gigs of tethering included.

It's been replaced by a plan that has unlimited @ 4G speeds for $80 and 5 gigs of tethering. US voice and texts are unlimited on both plans, and I don't tether enough to justify losing my grandfathered plan (even if I did, I have an app that does a good job at hiding tethering usage).

I've known people who've pulled several hundred gigs in a month. Supposedly T-Mobile has been sending out terms of service violation warnings to customers who use an incredible amount of bandwidth (mainly targeting people who are torrenting), but won't cap their speeds unless they ignore the warnings (which come in forms of phone calls and texts).

That's kind of lovely, only one carrier here cares about tethering and they simply don't allow it at all, the others have a line in the contract on how you shouldn't do it, but on one cares and they don't differentiate between tethering and other data. If you hit your cap, you hit your cap no matter how. Some of them did try to ban people from using their data to call with Skype or other voip services that competed with the calling part of the business though, but in the end they just gave up and now every carrier offers domestic unlimited calling and messaging on all but the cheapest plans (sub $10).

• Locked thread