Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Not even the remotest bit AI, but my wife has asked (as if I have a choice) if her mother can move in with us temporarily. Not because of health or job issues.....per se......but because she and her sister (wife's aunt) can't get along anymore. the aunt is a miserable cuss of a woman and wife's mother is amazingly immature.

And bad with money and can't afford a decent place to live. She is capable of getting her own place if she would loving grow the gently caress up.

Granted if my parents needed a place to stay, if they had bad health issues, she wouldn't hesitate to open the doors to them. So in that respect, I feel like a total rear end for being filled with absolute dread that a) she is moving in and b) will likely never leave.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how hosed am I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

bolind posted:

11. Don't do it. Offer to help pay to put her up somewhere else or something, almost any alternative is better than this. If she can't handle her own life now, what makes you think it won't be a miserable affair when she lives with you?

You are 100 percent right, and I know this. But if I offer this solution, I expect my wife to fire back with "You really don't want her to live here, do you? Even temporarily?". And even though I expect she would be on my side of things (she doesn't want her mother moving in either), I'm not 100 percent sure she (wife) wouldn't be pissed at me about the suggestion.

I love how all this is coming about now that we're about to buy a larger house :tinfoil:

So here's the pickle:
1) Let her move in and be unobjectionable about it to my wife. Happy wife = happy everyone.
2) Suggest we help her (wife's mother) out financially with a place of her own. Possibility wife doesn't like this suggestion, and it back fires. Unhappy wife = unhappy everyone.

Just joined. I'm the one with the Titleist golf ball for an avatar.

Tide fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 3, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

alternate.eago posted:

And with it being February, I realized I'm going to be 27 this year. drat. Getting old sucks, and time seems to pass faster the older you get.

Couple of pages back, but wait until you get married and/or have a kid. I swear I blinked and 10 years disappeared. Then one day you will wake up on the wrong side of 40, and realize that your life is at least 50% over. Then it will hit you how fast those 40 years went.

And I've just depressed myself for the rest of the day....

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

angryhampster posted:

How did the pregnancy go? My wife was feeling pretty crappy for about a month, but she's got a lot more energy and better attitude now. Apparently the first trimester the female jsut feels like garbage.

The next 7 months-ish will be a blur.

For my wife, the first tri was nothing but throwing up. To the point I stopped asking if she was ok and didn't even wake up in the middle of the night. Second tri was good. She got increasingly horny as time went on. Third tri it's like someone gives them a constant supply of uppers and she'll have all the energy in the world. She will start nesting and it will drive you absolutely insane. Then the last month/couple of weeks she'll grow increasingly irritable and ready for the baby to come out (they are fat and miserable and anxious to meet the new spawn).

Babies are tough little dudes/dudettes. The first few diapers you change will be black tar that doesn't even smell. And as long as you she is breast feeding as long as you can, it will just about stay that way. But the minute you switch to formula and then baby food? Holy moly they will absolutely explode into their diaper and it will make the dog run from the smell. If you have a boy, prepare to get pee'd on the minute you open their diaper and cold air hits their little tallywacker. I managed to not ever get pee'd on but the wife got tagged probably a dozen times.

Everyone is going to give you advice and listen to about 1/10th of it. That said?

Advice:
Babies cry. That's what they do. That's how they communicate because they can't say "Hey. Angryhampster. Dude. We gotta talk. My diapers full / I'm gassy and if you don't burp me I'm going to explode". If you get into the habit of picking them up and coo'ing over them or feeding them, they'll go all Pavlovian on you and associate crying with awesome cuddling and warm milky boobs. Babies are like puppies that slowly learn to talk.

There's a dvd we watched about very specific cries and sounds babies make and their meanings. I thought "Yeah, whatever, it's some know it all mom that just wants to sell DVDs". But after we watched it, it was like a direct line of communication opened up between the baby and us. I'll see if I can find out the name and post it.

Set a specific schedule for food, naps, etc. Get them on a schedule - their body will adjust. And don't give in to crying. I could write a huge effort post on this but, man, it works.

Last thing? Don't go all "THE ROOM / PACIFIER IS CONTAMINATED. WARNING WARNING WARNING" and worry about sterilizing everything and hand sanitizers. Babies and kids need some dirt. If you have a dog or cat, introduce them early. They need dirt and germs and whatnot to build a good healthy immune system. Assuming the pacifier didn't just drop into a vat of influenza snot or dog poo poo, wipe it on your pants leg and shove that sucker right back into their mouth.

And follow the vaccination to the letter.

Having a kid is absolutely the coolest thing in the world.

Tide fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 5, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Found it. It was Dunstan Baby Language. Highly recommend it. We passed it around to some friends and it was all :aaaaa: responses.

I think once we got our kid on formula (wife's boobs weren't producing enough milk) at 3 months or so, things got really easy. He would fall asleep on the boob and not get enough and she wasn't making enough to begin with. Somewhere around 5-6 months old, our pediatrian told us to cut out the 2-3am feeding and see if he would sleep through the night. He cried for about a minute the first night and that was it. From then on, he would sleep from 11pm to 6pm, then 9pm to 6pm. It was glorious. But we had him so scheduled (6am, 9am (nap to 12pm), 12pm, 3pm (nap to 6pm), 6pm, 9pm) with everything so it easy. Even at 8 years old, he goes to sleep without much fuss at 8pm and gets up with me at 530am or 6am.

Agree, PPD is a very real thing. Got my wife pretty hard as well and she's one of the most positive, bubbly people you'll ever meet.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Last thing on baby chat from me:

Do NOT let them sleep in the bed with you or even bring a bassonett into the bedroom. It will be the biggest mistake you ever make. Give them their own room, their own bed, let it be their space. You (or your wife) may think it's cute and sweet and awwww or whatever, but every single person I know that's let their baby/toddler/kid sleep in their bed with them can't get them out, even at 7 or 8 years old. They'll get out of their bed in the middle of the night and come get in yours.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So, found a house.

4 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 2500 sqft with a massive garage. It's a little more square footage than we want/need, but it's the right price in the right location with the right 'wants'. Needs some updating, but nothing too major. Got a guy waffling back and forth on my house. I am so drat tempted to put in an offer on the house we want and rent our current house.

Gotta convince the wife this is a good idea.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

blk posted:

Taxes are confusing as hell. My wife and I grossed about 15k more in 2014 than 2013. In 2013 we got $1k back. This year we owe $5k. That difference is almost half the gross change. I ran through both Taxact and TurboTax to make sure it wasn't missing anything. WTF?

That 15K bumped you up to another tax bracket. You need deductions, man.

We are looking at the same prospect this year. We made 20K more this year than last and we're going to have the same deductions (mortgage interest, minimal amount of childcare, etc). I am NOT looking forward to meeting with our accountant.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
We are thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to making an offer on a house with an over sized two car garage. Freaking bank is dragging its rear end in getting the required paperwork to me to go to the home owners realtor with the approval letter I want.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Bought a tire for a little old lady today in the local pep boys (they service our company vehicles). She cried, which made me cry, all of which made the dude behind the counter tear up.

Never been so happy to spend $108 in my life.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Welp. They accepted our offer on the house. 4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, 2,458 sqft and a big freaking garage attached to the back of the house, hidden from street view.

Two mortgages - at least temporarily
:stare:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The mortgage on our current house is right at 650 a month including property taxes and insurance, so it's not a big deal. We are still in our starter house we bought 14 years ago, which is very nearly paid off. Even though the mortgage is only 650, we've paid 1,000 a month since we refi'd in 2006. I am tempted to rent it but it's market ready and I can be aggressive with the pricing if need be. We spend more than 650 a month on stupid poo poo like eating out and impulse buys/weekend getaways.

The down payment and closing costs are going to empty out our savings and my blackjack bankroll.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The house we just had an offer accepted on was built in '82. I am so not looking forward to ripping out the old coax and installing new coax plus cat6. I will only need to run cat6 in to about 3 rooms but I imagine I'll need to put new coax to every room that has a TV. Uverse only allows 2 wireless receivers but that still leaves 2-3 other TVs. Ah well. Will sort it out once we actually move in

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cakefool posted:

Made an offer on the new build house, accepted. I'm so stoked, only a single garage but a nice amount of space all around. Top of my budget though, going into maximum budgeting mode asap to see if we can scrape another couple of grand together by the time it's done, every little helps.

Whaddup house buying buddy :hfive:

I honestly thought we weren't going to come to agreement with the seller. We offered, they countered, we countered, they countered, then we basically said our last offer is the best we can do. We could have offered more, just not more for that house. It's going to be a bit of a fixer upper, but the main guts are good (7 year old roof, 1 year old dual HVAC).

Tide fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 16, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Slow is Fast posted:

Managed to fire everyone who wants free work done on their cars and when it comes time to help me out they're too busy or blah blah blah money blah blah blah.

:feelsgood:

I feel like I'm constantly culling my real life friends list by striking off names/relationships that are a little too one sided. Got no time for that kind of bullshit.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
loving awesome, man :hfive: Proud of you. Anytime I hear of someone kicking a habit like that, or at least attempting to, just makes me want to give 'em a big ol' bear hug. I drink a 6 pack about every two weeks, so I'm not a teetotaler. For me, it was the realization that not one good thing has ever happened to me because of alcohol, and every bad thing that has ever happened was connected TO alcohol.

Plus hangovers just absolutely knock me out of commission for two days because I have apparently turned into a big old sloppy vagina.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I've never quite understood why guys that are going bald/losing their hair can grow the best beards ever.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

trouser chili posted:

I think it has to do with testosterone. It's testosterone that causes the hair follicles on the head to fail, and it's testosterone that causes the formation of thick beard-hair follicles on the face. Basically, the hairs on your head are different types of hair (and follicles) than the hairs on your face, and they respond to testosterone differently.

What about people like me that are getting a little thin on the crown and can't grow a beard worth a crap? My "beard" is patchy as hell and about 4 different colors (brown, some grey, red, and blonde) despite my hair being nearly black. I let it go about 3 weeks one time and it was horrible.

:negative:

One positive is that I don't have much body hair. Except long rear end curlies around my nipples :barf:

I blame it on the 1/32nd Native American blood.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Maker Of Shoes posted:

You are me. I am you.

Except this part. German/Dutch

You might be on to something here. My ancestry is German / Native American Indian on my Pop's side, and Dutch / English on my Mom's side. On the German side, my greatwhatevergrandfather was a Hessian - before that, a shoemaker. Not very good being a soldier, either, considering he was captured within 2 months of his arrival, spent time in what is basically a POW camp, then released to a South Carolinian plantation owner. He subsequently ran off with the proverbial farmers daughter and a mule.

Another guy on my Dad's side was beheaded by one of his slaves that swung down from a tree with an axe (or so the story goes) as he was going to town on his wagon.

My Mom's side was at least a bit more respectable as she has lineage traced back to Ben Franklin.

I need to get off my rear end and get the literal trunks of family history and artifacts from my Mom that she's been hounding me to get. Some really cool old stuff in there going back to the 16 or 1700s. Stuff like immigration papers, all the way up to my grandfather's WWII stuff. Everything from his uniforms, service pistol, the letter my grandmother received from the chaplain when he was believed to be dead (but recuperating in a French hospital after a tank landed on his legs (freaking OUCH)), his German loot (which is insane what he brought back), his medals, and the portrait a French nurse painted of him during his rehab before coming home.

The guy front and center is my grandfather - I had no idea this picture was so iconic until a year or so ago. I look just like him. Same hair, same eyes, nose, mouth. Just a bit fatter, unfortunately.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but genealogy is kinda cool.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ozmiander posted:

Bought a car that sounded good when i test drove and picked it up. Oops!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4xNSvb-Leg

:stare:

That...that's not good.

TIME FOR A STROKER KIT. Because, well why not. (I don't know what you're in)

On a different note entirely, I installed 22 cabinet doors today in the kitchen for a project that's been 6 months in the making.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress painting interior (or exterior) doors.

And replacing the hardware with brushed nickel instead of early 90s brass.

Also gently caress anyone that painted over wallpaper that was put on unprimed sheet rock. Twice.

Tide fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 23, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo am I ready to close on my new house. Well, my 33 year old new house. We have been searching for nearly 2 years for a unicorn and we found it. It's not perfect, of course, and it needs some work. But the location, neighborhood, layout, and size for the price are absolutely perfect.

The home inspection passed with flying colors - a couple problems, but nothing that isn't easily rectified.

Probably the best thing is my kid is going from living in a house/neighborhood with NO kids and too much traffic (plus drivers that drive too drat fast) to a house in a closed off neighborhood with half a dozen kids his age AND a one way in/out that limits traffic. We already know half the neighborhood it seems through my best friend of 25 years who lives there as well. Other cool stuff is they (we?) have Mardi Gras parades for the kids, Santa Clause comes to town, everyone gets into Halloween, etc. There's "pub crawls" where people set up make-shift bars in their garage and everyone walks from house to house drinking and eating. Everybody keeps their yard and house up.

The neighborhood is shaped like a Q, and is about 1 mile or so all the way around. It's an older neighborhood with big old Southern oaks that overhang the roads and make it look like you're driving through a tree tunnel.

Can't wait to move in.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

keykey posted:

It's a never ending cycle.

Yes it is.

And the best advice I can give anyone on home ownership is stay on top of it. Once a month, do a walk around and take stock of what needs fixing, repairing, or updating. Because, like an old car, a house is the same way. Doing continuous checking and maintenance is cheaper in the long run.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
A starter home isn't necessarily a bad idea. Get in cheap, ALOT cheaper than an apartment, and build some equity into it. Then either sell or use it for rental income. We lived in our "starter home" for 13 years, and will LIKELY rent it when we close on the new house. I'm kind of torn about it, though. On one hand, RENTAL INCOME!! YAY!!! It's only 2 years from being paid off which could be used to basically make the payment on our new house.

On the other, dealing with renters :suicide:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I've decided I need an avatar.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

meatpimp posted:

Or immediately bought back after you've pissed a nerd off.

Yeah, which apparently I've done a great job of NOT doing. I can't imagine making somebody so mad they get the urge to spend 10 bucks on me.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BraveUlysses posted:

Ugh, shut up about anime nerdssss

we need to be celebrating the FCC decision today and we will officially have Net Neutrality :woop:

I've been wondering if this whole net neutrality thing is a good thing or not. What's the jist of it for the uninformed?

Tide fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 27, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I love my dog like a kid, but I can't wait to have his food and water bowl 35 feet further away from the den. He eats and drinks like a slovenly heathen and it's pretty much the most disgusting sound in the world.

And he had a knack for doing it riiiiight when you want things to be quiet or listen to something on TV

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
when did you file?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tusen Takk posted:

On Sunday through TurboTax.

drat. That's awesome. We use an accountant so ours always takes longer.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Motronic posted:

gently caress corporate IT.

I say this pretty much every day. The amount of poo poo running in the background of my work laptop to make sure I don't visit Facebook slows it down to an absolute crawl. Pretty sure there's something running that has a massive memory leak requiring a restart every couple of hours.

On top of that, our internet access is on a vpn that routes all the internet traffic from our office to houston to Oslo back to Houston then to our office. 80 percent of our work is online to proprietary company websites / programs that have not been updated to work with anything over about IE 7. I have a company issued iPad that I can't use because safari, chrome, Firefox won't work these programs. I think I have turned it on once since I got it. When I try and scan documents, if it's over something like 1.25 mb, the system rejects it thinking its a virus. Plus, our document storage is remote to Houston (we have no local server), so every time we need store a file, it a) causes our office wide internet to slow down even further and b) locks up the laptop until the transfer is complete.

The absolute poo poo cherry on top of the poo poo sundae is that we have pretty much the slowest cable broadband possible.

At a 4 man office that profited over 1 mil last year.

Tide fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 27, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Asked? Or told?

And do you get paid OT?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

mariooncrack posted:

A little of both. The expectation is to work at least 5 hours this weekend. We're behind on work. We get paid OT and they're going to buy us lunch. I'm more bothered by the they preach a lot of work life balance but throw this at the last minute than actually coming in.

Edit : Leonard Nimoy :smith:

At least you get paid O/T (and buying lunch) and if y'all are legit behind, it's justified. I wouldn't complain too much. Whether or not it happens often would determine whether or not they're going back on their work/life balance preaching, in my opinion. If it's not a common occurence then put your big girl panties on, suck it up, and make dat sweet oh tee. Buy go fast parts with it.

The key thing is they are compensating you which is more than most places would do.

disclaimer: i work in a 24/7 industry so O/T is part of the gig. so, when i hear anyone complaining about OT, I just go 'eh, nut up'. Not trying to be antagonistic.

Tide fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 27, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BraveUlysses posted:

It does get pretty old though if you're working 3-4 weekends in a row or 700+ hours of OT in a given year

I know the pain. I am on call every other weekend.

I billed 1000 hours OT last year which is both :homebrew: and :suicide: at the same time. BUT, the difference being is that I'm salary plus O/T. Which is to say if I'm out in the middle of the night, they don't expect me to to be in the office at 8am. Hell, they (my bosses 200 and 600 miles away respectively) don't expect me in before noon (but I get paid for the full day) if I come in at all. Plus I can do 99 percent of my job from home so there's a few days a week I don't even make it into the office. I am self managed and nobody watches my clock. I've been here for more than 12 years so they trust me to do my job

as I post on SA

Tide fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 27, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ExplodingSims posted:

I just ate a Stuffed crust pizza from Pizza Hut, with jalapenos, sausage, peperoni, and the spicy red pepper crust. I

So much regret stuffed into one pizza. :negative:

I really wish that papa John's would bring that spicy BBQ chicken pizza back. That was one of the best pizza I've ever had

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

Orange milk.

Nasty

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Painting doors.

It sucks.

The end.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
A friend of mine s, who ice known soccer college days "I would duck you until your disk bleed". She has the best tit on the free world. I tagged her rear end alecost 15 years ago. But the wife current doesn't know so know so do not tell her Ai. Ba true Penn stater: awesome unicorn but butter helmet

Holy crap this android swipe right thing has me all ducked u up.

A virus of Merlot and sausage mushrooms

I have no idea.

I love you.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Don't profane me, IOC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I am not looking forward to tomatoes. Sorority I have not had this much to dock in a while.

You know what? Every Friday or Saturday, I am going to host a WARYDTAI thread.

What
Are
You
Drinking
Tonight
Automotive
Insanity
thread

Anyway, what's sad is that I am not that good looking anymore. Still got a big dick but man could I do with some updating

• Locked thread