Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Powershift posted:

Found another one. How would you like 1 of 500 italian supercar with a targa top?

http://ww2.copart.com/us/Lot/32054264?searchId=997050920

This is amazing and I want it. What's the deal with bidding on these? You need a dealer license?

Edit: awww is this an auto transmission I see before me? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cage posted:

Anyone have any car related plans for their tax refund? I have some deep dish rear wheels sitting in my basement so Im gonna use part of my $1200 to get some tires for them, and then throw the rest at my car loan. Should be paid off within the next month or two.

Then I can focus on my credit card debt. :haw:

Aren't car loans usually about 3% interest, while credit cards are 10-25%? I've only carried a balance on my card once, and even that one month caused me considerable rear end-pain when I looked at the massive interest I'd accrued.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cage posted:

Well, I bought a 10 year old car so its not actually a car loan, its a personal loan. Both my loan and credit card are 8% but I still have 0% apr on the card for a few months.

edit: Though you're right I should still pay the credit card first, I can knock out that debt completely because there's less money on there, I might as well do that.

Oh well that makes more sense, I was just scratching my head because usually you get dicked hard on credit cards while dealer loans are pretty decent.

I'm working on paying off my student loans, starting with the highest-interest ones. IIRC I've got something like $14k left and I'd like to pay it off before summer (when my wife becomes a grad student and our income correspondingly drops)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Meat theft is a skyrocketing thing here among our local druggies. There were a few homeowners who left their garages open and came home to find out that nothing had been taken except meat from their deep freezes. They raid local grocery stores too and just walk off with a shopping cart full of a few grand of meat.

Dunno who's buying that meat, probably distributed through a fence:

http://www.thestar.com/business/2014/12/12/organized_retail_crime_taking_off_in_canada.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7nHKUAGyC8

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

If I was looking to get a pretty decent (not Maaco) paint job on my Midget, what kind of price range would be reasonable? I'm planning to call around but never having had a car painted before I'd like to have a baseline in mind.

Do they do it cheaper if I strip the old paint first?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cage posted:

You butts I dont care about kids, have all of the kids I dont care it was a joke.

I got the reference right away if it makes you feel better :v:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CornHolio posted:

Also this. We were in a small two-bedroom apartment for awhile. The crib was in our bedroom and our older child's bedroom was mostly a toy/play room and she slept in our bed. It took goddamn forever to get her out of our room. And even now she sleeps with her light and her TV on because she's terrified of the dark.

Can't wait to explain this to my wife when we have kids... she is a cuddling machine. Hopefully I can convince her that it's best if they sleep in their own rooms.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

mafoose posted:

I haven't paid for the last 2 speed increases on my cable internet, they've been complementary.

Never had any issues that weren't fixed when a tech came over either. Guess we're the outlier with Cox.

So you'd say on the whole, Cox are pretty good? Would you say you... Love Cox?

I'll get my coat.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I shouldn't have to explain why I thought of certain AI members when I saw this:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I used to watch the UK Robot Wars on PBS. You know how when something would go wrong, they'd all be quite cheerful "Ah well we'll soon put it right"? I expect this revival will treat those situations as an opportunity to stick people in a closet with a camera and make them bitch about their teammates, because that's modern reality TV.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Perfect day to get Chinese food and binge watch movies.

It's drizzling outside and my cold has mostly abated... Time to go work on my Midget in the shed, because what could be more appropriate for a British car?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Terrible Robot posted:

Don't forget the tea.

Don't worry, I've been watching Project Binky

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Boom!

Looks sort of funny without it:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rhyno posted:

It got up to 40 today so I took the Miata out. I could seriously get used to having the top down in February.

Driving a convertible in the winter has started to change my mind re: driving gloves

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ExplodingSims posted:

I bought it like 5 years ago and it's just been my dedicated music player sitting on my desk. I figure I'd let it get some fresh air. :v:

Yeah, but I hate pretty much all aftermarket head units. I don't like touchscreen ones, and every other one looks cheap, doesn't match anything else in the car, and looks like the aftermath of a neon bukkake orgy, so I'd perfectly fine with spending extra to keep the factory head unit.

TL;DR: MY INTERIOR AESTHETICS :goonsay:

I put a Blaupunkt Sydney in my 86 Crown Vic and it doesn't look out of place. I'm phone posting or else I'd add a pic... Check the CV thread from 2014 for pics.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm selling the 86 Crown Vic, if anybody wants it I'm in the SF Bay Area. I have it listed for $3500 but goon price is lower.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Korwen posted:

http://kotaku.com/big-layoffs-at-everquest-studio-today-1685243961

Welp, the Bobs had it out for me. At least I get plenty of time in the garage to work on cars though! I gotta get the Miata ready to be sold, should have plenty of time to do that now.

once again, fuck2015.gif

Everquest still exists :psyduck:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

STR, do you have any friends in IT? I'd just try and get the worst bitch-work position at their company, running cables or imaging systems or whatever. You already know some of the poo poo involved, and once you have a job there may be opportunities for taking courses on the company dime or just studying at home and saying "yo, let me try".

Worst case, you've now got a resume entry that says IT.

Cisco certs might also be a good option, configuring that poo poo is pretty easy but employers love certs.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

They're... better than I'd expect from a $400 BMW, I guess? Still want you to buy both.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Ugh. Does anyone else have an issue with eating fruits in the morning? They are too sweet or something to eat that early because even looking at them makes me nauseous. Anytime around lunch to bedtime is fine though.

If I eat an apple for breakfast, it seems to sour my stomach. I can handle almost anything else for breakfast (ate a bunch of cold steak this morning), and I often start the day with a 20oz Diet Coke, but an apple will make my belly hurt.

I'm just fine with them in the afternoon, though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bah, pulled apart the Midget's windshield frame and the screws holding it together at the bottom were all stripped out. I had to drill them out, and there's not enough left to grab onto! Fuckers... they're in these little angled brackets which would be cheap EXCEPT they're marked not available on Moss Motors.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Going to see Trailer Park Boys tonight... so I'm excited about that.

Would be more excited if I hadn't heard this morning that my grandmother is getting rapidly worse and may have only a few days left :smith:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I wonder what negotiations were like when Trailer Park Boys set up that show last night... "So, you guys gotta let people smoke weed in your theater. Like, a shitload of it, we're talking clouds of smoke in the stairwells, everyone's going to be high as gently caress."

The guy in the seat next to me definitely got a lot dumber after the intermission for some puzzling reason, suddenly he was laughing madly at the slightest thing and loudly narrating exactly what was going on on-stage. Hmmm. :rznv:

Great show, it incorporated everything I expect to see: piss-jugs, Ricky getting piss all over himself, Bubbles singing, Julian doing greasy poo poo.

Saw a drat good Smokey costume out in the lobby, and some pretty decent Bubbles/Julian/Ricky groups too.

Lots of respect for these guys, they've kind of set themselves up to have an audience of drunk stoned idiots so they're really good at handling all the poo poo that gets yelled at the stage.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

rscott posted:

michiganders

What's good for the michigoose is good for the michigander

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

jamal posted:

Huh. From the previews I've been thinking that movie is going to be dumb as poo poo.

I looked it up and assumed the same:

Wikipedia posted:

based on the comic book

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I used to drink 5-6 days a week and people used to call me a functional alcholic. I don't think I've gone 3 days in the last 5 years without drinking and usually I'd put it away until I passed out. The last year or so I've cut down massively and since Jan 1st I've had booze in my mouth one time. And that got spit out because Evan WIlliams Egg Nog is loving gross.

I should really cut back too... I'll have 2-3 drinks probably 4 nights a week, and 5 or so once a week. Better than what I used to do, where I'd polish off half a bottle of whiskey in an evening and repeat every other day, but still probably more than is healthy.

Edit: back when I'd drink half a bottle on a Wednesday night... man I hated the sour stomach the next day. No headache, just couldn't eat anything until lunchtime.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Lost my Bondo virginity today. I'm testing the waters on the roll-on Rustoleum "$50 paint job" (I'm about $150 into in already, because I want to do things right thus I'm buying all sorts of poo poo) by re-painting my spare trunk lid. It had a dent, so I filled it. Bondo spreads and fills easier than I expected, but holy gently caress it gets everywhere... gloves, pants, workbench, all over the sides of the can, etc.

Also, it takes for-loving-ever to sand off old paint with 100-grit.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rhyno posted:

If you lost one arm and one leg, what type of 'plegic would that make you?

Hemiplegic?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ozmiander posted:

'03 Subaru Forester.

But see, it's okay because i bought a newer reliable car.

I think my wife has this weird belief that cars before some unarticulated year are Unreliable while more recent cars are Reliable and thus will never let me down. So I get poo poo over my 86 Crown Vic whenever it has an issue, clearly I need a 2010 somethingorother. I will relish the day her 2012 Toyota has some sort of a problem.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fo3 posted:

Burger chat: there's literally no way possible you can't make a burger yourself that's not better (or more indulgent if you want an heart attack), than anything you can possible buy. Cheaply. Or even better grill some marinated or jaccarded cheap steak and butterfly it.
Seriously, burger joints work with the cheapest produce no matter what you're paying for it. Easiest food to beat.

It's like comparing prices of stuff to DIY car work, to 200% markup on parts plus labour that dealers/shops charge to put into terms AI might understand.
The burger joints probably don't use the best meat, sometimes they use filler, they aren't going to roast and ingredients for salad or add ons, or use the best toppings or salad in general, or use steak, or the best cheese, or onions, or sauce. I just can't see how someone gives a crap about which chain has the best burger quality.
If you're drunk, who cares, buy the cheapest kebab/gyros/shawarma and forget burgers anyway. If your'e sober, DIY a burger.

In my opinion burger joint burgers are one of the things I can't really match properly. I'll often go to an Italian place and think "I could make this pasta dish better than they did"; back in December I had some amazing orange chicken at a chinese place in Redding, so I came home and replicated the recipe, I'd put it up against the original.

But when you consider a place like Five Guys or In-N-Out, I can't compete. They have that poo poo down to a science, because they make basically one burger (with slight tweaks) every day over and over. They have custom buns and patties made to specification and delivered daily. And, unlike me, they always have fresh lettuce and tomatoes and onions and mushrooms and such on-hand... I swear mushrooms are right up there with bananas for going from "looks good" to "eeuuugh" overnight.

I can make a decent burger, but I've never matched a Five Guys burger. Maybe I should try... I've done a lot of Chinese style lately, maybe it's time to focus in on a simple American standard and try to perfect my burger game. Only challenge is that my wife, being Hindu, doesn't each much beef, but that just means I need to cook something else for her.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Protocol7 posted:

The meat at burger joints tends to be lacking, but there are a lot of things I have tried to beat and can't (e.g. Big Mac sauce, although Thousand Island has long been a favorite condiment of mine for burgers anyway.)

Though then they go and ruin them with soggy, disgusting tomatoes and other poo poo. Seriously, the crap tomatoes that most fast food places have turned me off tomatoes period.

Well yeah I always order no tomatoes, that poo poo ruins your burger 90% of the time. I've enjoyed a tomato on an In-N-Out once, but otherwise I just order it without.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

2015 finally took grandma, I'd post the gif but I'm too broken down by Avis's idiot customer service and Southwest's lovely hold music.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

gently caress, condolences. I'm down to one left and have been hearing stories that people are really having to push her hard to eat enough these days. No major medical issues, just age, but she's stubborn as a mule (as are all of her kids, hmmm) so even that can be A Thing.

That's how it was for her... for the last few years she would tend to forget to eat, or change her clothes, etc. The Alzheimer's started to become apparently about a decade ago, and when I last visited her ~6 years ago, I had my mom call her before I left my bedroom in the morning, because I wasn't sure she'd recognize me without a reminder. In the last year she started not even recognizing her children, and asking about her mom and dad because she thought it was 1940.

When she had a fall and hit her head two weeks ago, we knew it was pretty dire... luckily mom was able to get out there in time to be with her at the end. I'm flying out tomorrow afternoon for the funeral.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tusen Takk posted:

Edit: normally it doesn't taste this good because the soy sauce glazes the rice and tastes kind of sweet, so it seems to be something with this kind of Kikkomans

Ah, yes, JDM soy sauce.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm always happy to say gently caress printers, but drat this old Laserjet 2100 was pretty drat easy to get set up. After I baked the JetDirect 615N card in the oven for a while, because that's what you do, because I have two of these faulty motherfuckers.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

Site is throwing out a dumpster of Mellanox Infiniband cards. Debating whether I should grab a pile of them for SA-Mart. Looking up the part number makes it seem like they are pretty decent cards that sell for a stupid amount.

I'd say go for it if work doesn't have rules against it, Infiniband stuff is absurdly expensive. Not sure if you'll get anybody on SA-Mart, unless some dumb HARDCORE GAMER thinks they'll lower his ping or some poo poo.

I wouldn't buy Infiniband hardware for love or money :v:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, JetDirect cards were crap, but the 2100 is a tank. I've got two still working at home that I picked up from work when they replaced them.

My 2100 came off the science department's junk pile about 6 years ago. Nothing wrong with it, it was just old. I'm still on the toner that came with it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mat_Drinks posted:

I really like the ones that get blackened and a bit charred, so good.

Yesssss, I oven-roast them and my favorite parts are the individual leaves that have fallen out and turned into crispy salty little bastards. I wonder if I could do something similar with cabbage, since it would be all individual leaves...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

Damnit. Left a half empty beer on my desk last night... right next to my keys. The Dude decided to walk across my desk while I was asleep (which he does pretty often).

Opened up the keyfob, amazingly it was only damp around the contacts. Wiped them off with a damp towel, let it dry, and it still works. :neckbeard: The keyfobs themselves are dirt cheap, but I need access to a Tech2 or a locksmith to program new keyfobs in. Also, my keys smell like beer now...

Isn't this the second time your cat has knocked over a beer on your desk and soaked electronics? At this point it's starting to seem like you should either cut your losses and eat the cat, or stop leaving beers on the desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Southwest canceled my flight so I'm not getting home until tomorrow. This makes cancelation number three in the last 5 days.

• Locked thread