Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'm not dumb, but sometimes I am a goddamned idiot.

Got a set of photocell LED lantern-style lights to replace the ones we had on the front of the house. Three for the front. I took the first old one off, undid the wire nuts, undid the bracket, got the new bracket on, re-used the wire nuts and did white-white, black-black, bare-bare for the new fixture. Got it mounted and leveled, then turned it on... nothing. The other lights in the series worked (this was the second fixture in a series of four), but not this new one. Re-checked the wire nuts, everything was tight. Did that a couple times, dead tight. Thought that I might have a DOA fixture, so I took it inside and shoved the white and black wires into an outlet and it lit right up... wtf. So, I took it out again, re-tried the wire nuts, nothing, checked with a meter and it damned sure had proper voltage. Said "gently caress it" and cut the twisted wires back to where they were straight, stripped new wire ends and shoved them in push-type wire connectors. Pushed the new lamp's wires into the push connectors, everything's tight, no way this could go wrong now, right?

Again, nothing. So, I tried a different fixture, with no luck. Tried the second fixture inside and it worked straight away.

Then I figured it out and felt like a goddamned idiot. What did I miss?

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kastein posted:

Probably taking a piece of packing material off the photocell, installing the bulb/led module, or turning the breaker on.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I replaced an outlet once thanks to forgetting that the light I was using to test it was also photocell controlled. :downs:

Yep, the damned photocell. Put my hand over top of it and the light came on straight away. I probably redid a perfectly fine install at least 5 times, with much cursing and an extra helping of mad. :{

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

trouser chili posted:

My daughter and I made a thing.

It was fourth fastest. Not too shabby considering we weren't building for speed.

How far did you go with your prep? Did you polish the axles? There's a crazy amount of tweaks people will go to for soap box derby cars.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

Found another one. How would you like 1 of 500 italian supercar with a targa top?

http://ww2.copart.com/us/Lot/32054264?searchId=997050920

I don't know about supercar, but I didn't know they were that rare. A friend of mine's dad had one when we were in grade school. FERRARI ENGINE YO (That was the claim back in the day... inaccurate, but tangentially related). Also, I don't think that's an '88, probably '82 is more like it?

trouser chili posted:

Yes, deburred and polished the axles, then graphite lube. Given the nature of the pixel-art based design, there were issues at the hubs on the front wheels. We were exactly at 141.2 grams thoigh, so that was good.

Yep, sounds like reasonable prep for a fast car. Nicely done!

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 1, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

That's the special edition. black and gold paint, black and gold wheels. there were about 9300 zagatos made, only 500 special edition.

come on, italian, designed by pinninfarina, built by zagato, based on a lancia, engine by fiat.

The only way it could get more italian is if it was on fire.

Probably only a matter of time until it is on fire. Plus, autotragic removes at least 80% of the Italian.

Haha, 0-60 in 12.5 seconds. Awesome.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 1, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

leica posted:

Just had some people move in the empty house behind us that has been vacant for years. The people have three dogs, and between the dogs fighting and the owners yelling at them I'm going to go insane and kill somebody. Who the gently caress owns multiple dogs when you can't control them? All I've been hearing for the past three days is what sounds like a pack of wild dogs barking and yelping and a man and woman yelling STOP! STOP! NO! NO! what the gently caress is wrong with people and their loving dogs?

The only thing worse than neighbors is neighbors with loving pets.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

trouser chili posted:

Shouldn't February be Black Car Appreciation Month?

That's colorist.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

Holy gently caress the Bentley for the Audis is expensive. Cheapest I'm finding is $125

That's the way it's always been... sadly Bentley is very proud of their material and, as of 10 years ago (last time I bought one), they were the only game in town with all the info.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tide posted:

Not even the remotest bit AI, but my wife has asked (as if I have a choice) if her mother can move in with us temporarily. Not because of health or job issues.....per se......but because she and her sister (wife's aunt) can't get along anymore. the aunt is a miserable cuss of a woman and wife's mother is amazingly immature.

And bad with money and can't afford a decent place to live. She is capable of getting her own place if she would loving grow the gently caress up.

Granted if my parents needed a place to stay, if they had bad health issues, she wouldn't hesitate to open the doors to them. So in that respect, I feel like a total rear end for being filled with absolute dread that a) she is moving in and b) will likely never leave.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how hosed am I?

On a scale of 1 to hosed: you are. My wife's best friend moved in with us for a couple months in October of last year. I was hard and a hell of a lot more strain on everybody in the house than we thought it would be. Patterns get disrupted, different living styles, different views on things, etc. It wasn't unbearable, but it was definitely hard. With your MIL moving in, that's a different thing entirely. You will always be wrong and you'll never be able to say anything. Get used to being a eunuch.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BraveUlysses posted:

congrats hampster, get ready cause your little one will be here before you know it

our daughter just hit 7 weeks and it's been a blur

Sheeit, my youngest is about to hit 6 years and it's been a blur. Grats, hampster!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Terrible Robot posted:

Also holy poo poo, that thread is amazing. Well worth venturing into gibbis for.

It's been a long time since this was true, but this is true.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

TooLShack posted:

I use a google voice number for all my CL dealings, some people thinks it's ok to txt/call after 11PM to buy crusty stereo equipment. Do you guys ever have people wanting to trade guns for stuff?

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I have a burner phone for CL. its wonderful.

I have a burner phone for CL and I use it almost exclusively by texting. I had someone pick up a sectional sofa from my house today, but that was the first time in probably 3 dozen CL sales where I didn't meet someone at a nearby store parking lot.

Side note, I've posted it before, but it's still my favorite CL exploit: If you are buying something on CL that is farther than you want to travel, tell the seller that you are ~1 hour away from your actual location and ask them if they'll meet you half-way... where half-way is actually very close to your house. Basically, negotiate delivery without the seller knowing. No real harm, since the seller is happy to offload his crap for cash, anyway, and you save time driving.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

fjelltorsk posted:

Oh, and the crime he commited was peeing into the hatch of a english armored car during a protest/riot.

Awesome. If you're going to do it, do it right!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Congratulations, sorry for the loss of all of your upcoming sleeps.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cat Terrist posted:

Wanna make a bet on that, because I'll happily take your money because you will flat out lose. gently caress NASCAR square up the rear end with a hammer on ovals - Get them on Wakins Glen on the other hand.......

The only ovals that aren't dog piss boring are dirt ones. With Sprint cars. Or modified. Oh hell, pretty much anything on a dirt oval can be entertaining.

You're looking at it the wrong way -- it's less full-on motorsports and more sports entertainment. They have made celebrities out of the drivers and a large part of the event is in the interaction of and cheering for "your guy." I had a similarly anti-NASCAR bend until I had my boy in the garages with a driver and crew right before a race... and they were fantastically down-to-earth and you could see that it was a real passion for those involved.

I was offered another garage visit, so I'm hoping to make it to the Brickyard this summer, only this time for the Saturday race. Hopefully it'll be less hectic, and the Sprint Cup races are better watched on TV. This is something that I felt with IndyCar stuff back when it existed, as well.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bovril Delight posted:

You need to adjust your withholding because giving the Feds a 5k interest free loan is nuts

If you have it in an interest bearing checking account or savings account, you're not getting any more than zero, so really that's not much of a concern anymore.

Actually if you have it in CDs, you're in approximately the same shape. Bonds are going to give you slightly more than zero, so what he's doing is nuts, why don't you tell us where you put your money to see yield right now?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kastein posted:

Wait that was all penalties for not reporting 150 bucks in income? What the gently caress?

It's on the goddamn employer to report that poo poo and withhold on it, all that should have happened was you didn't get any withheld money you didn't owe them back. :wtf:

(unless I am missing something)

It's on the goddamned employer to send you a W2 by the end of January. It's on you to make sure you get W2s from all the places you've worked, even if it's only for a weekend.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kastein posted:

Yeah, but the W2 sent to you doesn't have anything to do with whether or not they withheld properly and everything. Wouldn't that be them sending the W2 and/or W4 paperwork to the feds?

Basically I don't understand how the hell him not getting a W2 could possibly affect him owing MORE. Unless the IRS determined the employer never filed that poo poo, in which case they should be going after them, not him.

He said he didn't report some income to the IRS because he didn't get a W2. He'd owe more because of non-reporting penalties, but as others have said, there's more to it than that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

some texas redneck posted:

Looks like I'm committed to at least going through the courses for the computer janitor stuff. Went up there to sign the student loan paperwork today; they handed me a flat box that said "Toshiba" and "Intel Inside", with an odd sticker on the side saying i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, and some other mumbo jumbo. I didn't expect to be leaving there with a laptop in my hands, especially since classes don't start for a month and a half. Not complaining, I've been wanting to dropkick my Chromebook for months (also if anyone wants a Chromebook that's been bumped up to 3GB from 2GB of RAM for cheap....). The Toshiba is a quick laptop (for me), but good god it needs a SSD.

The paperwork I signed states the laptop is mine the moment I accept it, no givies backsies. So if I back out at this point, I get to pay them for the laptop. :suicide: Though the price listed in the paperwork is a bit less than what it retails for. It's a pretty drat nice laptop, though I forgot how much I hated The Windows 8 UI (the first thing I did was install StartIsBack.. then remove the shitload of crap Toshiba included with it). I also assumed i5 always meant quad core, but apparently the mobile version is a dual core. :confused: Discovering my Innergie laptop charger works with it (with a different tip) is a nice surprise; it puts out a lot more wattage than the 45W supply it came with (so possibly faster charging, if the laptop's internal charging circuitry allows it), and the Innergie can run off of a car lighter socket.

So you bought a new laptop. That's as much of a warning sign for a "school" as you can get. How much did they charge you for the $200 laptop?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Speaking of massive fit and finish issues, can someone give me the short version why I should/shouldn't get a 2006 manual GTO?

Downsides are: no trunk, spotty parts availability, aforementioned Pontiac stuff, tire fitment in rear limits amount of power you can put down.

Upsides: LS motor is an absolute torque-monster blast. However, the same motor is available in a lot of other (better) cars.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

That flatbed driver is hating his life right there in that picture. Did it load easily?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

NitroSpazzz posted:

On a scale of 1 to 10 how stupid would a fly and drive be for a car that is at least 65 years old and hasn't run in 2 years or more. I think I can line it up with some training up north later this year so I have a few weeks to get it running before heading off. Trip distance would be pretty close to 1000 miles. Grandma wants the MG TC out of the garage and it sounds like I'm first in line. Good news is the car is very simple and parts are available, the bad news is old car and long drive...and it's English. Trying to talk Dad into joining me or following in a support vehicle.

Find someone with a hitch and rent a Uhaul carrier. It'll be more than worth it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

Real avatars are earned :smug:

Or immediately bought back after you've pissed a nerd off.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tide posted:

Yeah, which apparently I've done a great job of NOT doing. I can't imagine making somebody so mad they get the urge to spend 10 bucks on me.

Yet a lot of sombodies get :10bux: mad. https://esarahpalinonline.com/soap/?username= does a pretty good job of catching all of the avatar changes. Unfortunately, the text isn't saved with them. Some comedy gold lost there.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

iwentdoodie posted:

Unlike boy scouts, they aren't homophobic, racist anti everyone who isn't white Christian fuckheads and apparently actually do good things for the girls.

It's a shame that the Boy Scouts have such a bad rap now. My son is one and I've worked some of their outings/campouts. This local group does a lot for a) the local community and b) the kids themselves. A lot of the kids are from non-traditional houses and they obviously need some support and guidance and they get that partially from the Scouts. The local troop is mixed in race and background and couldn't be farther from the stereotype.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sandbagger SA posted:

Meanwhile in civil service...

pleasefireme.txt is all I see in that high-res picture showing a lot of personal/password/department information.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Elmnt80 posted:

loving heathen. Chili is meat, sauce and peppers. A case could maybe be made for freshly cut white onions on top with shredded sharp chedder, but more that than is just wrong. :colbert:

I make my chili with STUFF, too. Including black, pinto and kidney beans.

And I serve/eat it on pasta with some cheddar cheese on top.

Now what. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MrChips posted:

Speaking of BOFHs, I really, really want to be one when it comes to my dad's computer. Nothing like spending an afternoon over at my parents' place, cleaning all the malware off my dad's computer for the umpteenth time, and locking that thing down would make my task so much easier. What is frustrating about this is every time I do it, I make sure all the tools like as blockers, anti-virus and automatic updates are working properly, and every time he finds a way to get around it. After I finish (like I will be shortly), we have "the talk", where I tell him that maybe is isn't a good idea to search for " free ..." on Google and mash the first link that comes up with no thought given...that sort of stuff. Every time, he pretends to listen and the cycle repeats every six to nine months.

At least my mom is so computer illiterate that she doesn't even have the knowledge to end up finding potential malware sources, much less bypassing all the protection in place :v:

TeamViewer on the computers of your parents and family that rely on you for such a thing is a godsend.

• Locked thread