Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Pham Nuwen posted:

If I was looking to get a pretty decent (not Maaco) paint job on my Midget, what kind of price range would be reasonable? I'm planning to call around but never having had a car painted before I'd like to have a baseline in mind.

Do they do it cheaper if I strip the old paint first?

A decent paint job for a car, depending on the paint and colour you choose, will probably run $3-5k or so. And no, don't strip it yourself because inevitably you will gently caress something up that will cost as much or more than what you saved stripping it in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

T1g4h posted:

"I didn't invite you guys to flirt around with everybody." and "You can wear what you like! Just don't be stripping all the way down to your underwear and expect people not to get offended. You can wear skimpy, slutty clothing if you wish, just make sure you are covered."

Your friend sounds like they'd be a ton of fun to have at a party.

Oh wait...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Cakefool posted:

How much do Russian surplus RTGs go for these days?

The Soviets put RTGs in all sorts of things and promptly lost or forgot all about a number of them; given enough effort, you could probably fine one for free. Don't know what you'd do with one, as the largest terrestrial RTGs ever deployed put out a couple hundred watts of electrical power and a couple kilowatts of thermal power. And being Soviet in origin, I can't imagine they're particularly well shielded either.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Probably tonight, been at work all day and she was wine drunk last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqZcYPEszN8

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Moxie Omen posted:

My interests are primarily "interesting" truck-like things. 4x4 Jeep MJ, Hilux, or a diesel caddy.

Can you actually find a Caddy that isn't grossly overpriced? Around here Caddys trade hands routinely for $4-5000, even for lovely awful ones.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Comrade Flynn posted:

I just measured my garage and an LP640 will fit with exactly 3" to spare on each side.

If that's not a sign, I don't know what is.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Yesssssss

Goober Peas posted:

I'm in our family cabin in Pigeon Forge right now. At the top of a mountain road with a 10 percent grade. In a Volt. I had planned to leave Saturday, but I may be stuck.

:ohdear:

Better to be at the top of a mountain road in the winter, needing to get to the bottom, than the other way around.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Just in case you guys didn't know already, Better Call Saul is a loving awesome show.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

SouthsideSaint posted:

Yeah so if you remove all the old shelving and such in the back, it weighs drastically less.

In that case, why not take the next step and make it mid-engined?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

That's a cute little tire. I need an H54x21.0-24 for mine.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

Did you lose fingat?

Eh, he'll get it back in a day or two.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Winterchat: here in the supposedly frozen wasteland of Calgary, we really haven't had much of a winter. Right now it's sunny and 7 degrees Celsius (45F). We've had a couple big cold snaps where it got down to the mid -20s briefly, but we've been hugely above normal for the rest of winter...far less snow than normal too. There are ski hills around here that are closing for the season due to a lack of snow.

Of course, my experience here tells me that when we have a winter like this, the following summer is almost inevitably miserable, cool and wet.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

your cables are triggering me so hard

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I don't care for chili to be so hot that you can't taste anything other than molten lava; I like to taste the ingredients I put into my chili thank you very much. That said, there is still some heat to my recipe, courtesy of the chipotle peppers I use - enough to make me sweat after eating a bowl.

Also, I'm just going to say that soupy chili is the worst chili. I want to be able to stick a spoon in it and have it stand on its own.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Negromancer posted:

Make your own chicken broth. It is 100x better than anything you can buy and super easy to make. Get a big stock pot, put in a whole chicken or 2 depending on how big your pot is(or what ever bone in chicken is on sale), couple onions cut in half, a leek, a head of garlic, some celery and carrots, fill with water and let it simmer for a few hours. if you do it right you end up with chicken stock that turns into jello when you put it in the fridge. Makes anything you cook with it delicious.

Instead of a stock pot, y'all motherfuckers should go buy a pressure cooker. I can make stock in half an hour or so, instead of the 2-4 hours it takes to make stock in a conventional pot.

some texas redneck posted:

There's heat in chipotles? :confused: I've always used them for flavor when I make chili. They make my mouth tingle for a few seconds after a bite, that's about it.

Usually I would agree with you, but my local Latino food market (if you can believe there's one in the frozen wastes of Canada) sells a brand of canned chipotle peppers that are so hot that they could probably be used to strip chrome off bumpers.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Sick day today guys :smith::hf::smith:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

If you guys want avatars, just go troll some of the babby subforums. 10 minutes in D&D or BSS and you'll be all set.

(don't do this)

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

The people of Finland would disagree with that statement. Saunas can easily get up to and over 190F.

Also gently caress this cold so hard; too congested to sleep properly, too tired to do anything other than attempt to sleep.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

meatpimp posted:

I make my chili with STUFF, too. Including black, pinto and kidney beans.

And I serve/eat it on pasta with some cheddar cheese on top.

Now what. :colbert:

You must be from Cincinnati.

Also I will say it again; chili should be thick, not soupy. Anyone who advocates for meat soup should be flayed for their beliefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Speaking of BOFHs, I really, really want to be one when it comes to my dad's computer. Nothing like spending an afternoon over at my parents' place, cleaning all the malware off my dad's computer for the umpteenth time, and locking that thing down would make my task so much easier. What is frustrating about this is every time I do it, I make sure all the tools like as blockers, anti-virus and automatic updates are working properly, and every time he finds a way to get around it. After I finish (like I will be shortly), we have "the talk", where I tell him that maybe is isn't a good idea to search for " free ..." on Google and mash the first link that comes up with no thought given...that sort of stuff. Every time, he pretends to listen and the cycle repeats every six to nine months.

At least my mom is so computer illiterate that she doesn't even have the knowledge to end up finding potential malware sources, much less bypassing all the protection in place :v:

• Locked thread