Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Hi! I am a software developer and I'm in the mood to work on a neat project, and have decided to map and make visualizations showing the spread of recipes/ingredients throughout the past few hundred years in North America using recipes found in old church cookbooks.

Basically, I need as much data as possible in a not-lovely format. Where can I find giant piles of OCR'd cookbooks? There are a fair number on Project Gutenberg, but they're generally low quality (which is what I expected), and they will work, but I thought I would see if anyone had any suggestions or resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Hi! I am a software developer and I'm in the mood to work on a neat project, and have decided to map and make visualizations showing the spread of recipes/ingredients throughout the past few hundred years in North America using recipes found in old church cookbooks.

Basically, I need as much data as possible in a not-lovely format. Where can I find giant piles of OCR'd cookbooks? There are a fair number on Project Gutenberg, but they're generally low quality (which is what I expected), and they will work, but I thought I would see if anyone had any suggestions or resources.

Goon moms. Do they have to be church, or can they be quilt guild/other charity things? If you have a P.O. Box or something, I think I could get you a small pile, and I'm sure others could, too.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

detectivemonkey posted:

Goon moms. Do they have to be church, or can they be quilt guild/other charity things? If you have a P.O. Box or something, I think I could get you a small pile, and I'm sure others could, too.

Unfortunately, I don't have the resources to OCR them, so I need for them to already be digitized. That would be a super worthy thing to do eventually but that would require actual funding.

Any old cookbook with a date and address would be totally wonderful.

the anti femi nazi
May 30, 2007
I know openlibrary.com has old junior league cookbooks, so it might be worth looking into. Good luck, it sounds super interesting!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I'm mobile right now, so I can't check, but I wouldn't be surprised if archive.org has what you're looking for. They have a generally extensive ebook collection, and old cookbooks seem up their alley.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Not necessarily church cookbooks, but there's this: http://digital.lib.msu.edu/projects/cookbooks/

quote:

The Feeding America project has created an online collection of some of the most important and influential American cookbooks from the late 18th to early 20th century. The digital archive includes page images of 76 cookbooks from the MSU Library's collection as well as searchable full-text transcriptions.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
The Library of Congress has some digitized cookbooks here: http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/SciRefGuides/communitycookbooks.html. I'm not sure if all of them have been OCRed but it looks like some of them have.

ZoeDomingo fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Those are both very helpful, thank you! I'm going to work on this project at a big open data event thing in a couple weeks.

• Locked thread