Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Good Listener posted:

Going to continue my tank watching tonight, so far it is a fun ride. My initial reservations is that things would suddenly feel creepy like Strike Witches or Kancolle but so far it's just girls driving in tanks. Some of them I'm like "what the gently caress are you wearing?" and then the one crew made their tank all pink. I'm not against making war machines pink as that was like the only good thing I remember in Gundam Seed Destiny. But yea, gonna watch a tank battle with the rich girl school :toot:

A common mistake that people made with Girls und Panzer is thinking that it's about high school girls set to a background of tank battles when it's about tank battles set to a background of high school girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I've been thinking about animes that are out of my comfort zone. Its supposed to be an anime you would never give the time of day to. Saki, Astarottes Toy and Zvezda come to mind. Any thoughts on most watch able?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Don't know (the mahjong one?), lolishit and lolishit that's got some funny moments. I'd say Saki

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Zvezda, because I don't know much about Saki and that other thing sounds terrible. Judging by adtrw's reaction, your enjoyment of Zvezda mostly will hinge on whether you can tolerate an otherwise weird/dumb and fun show having two girls that wear skimpy swimsuits (one as a transformation, the other 24/7 with a labcoat).

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Someone give me a show to watch, preferably around 12 episodes or so

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Hace posted:

Someone give me a show to watch, preferably around 12 episodes or so

If you don't mind currently airing, try out Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu LOVE!! It's a Sailor Moon parody made by the guy who made Daily Lives of High School Boys.

Otherwise, my standard recommendation for this type of thing is Spice and Wolf. It's 26 episodes, but it's two seasons and the first season is fine on its own.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Pewdiepie posted:

I've been thinking about animes that are out of my comfort zone. Its supposed to be an anime you would never give the time of day to. Saki, Astarottes Toy and Zvezda come to mind. Any thoughts on most watch able?

Watch Astarrotes Toy, unless you have a functioning police jurisdiction where you live.

Watch Zvezda, unless you have eyeballs, or smoke cigarettes.

Watch Saki, unless you hate tacos,

and/or unnecessarily action-animated mahjong scenes.

All three shows are dumb. Yes, tacos was a double entendre.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Senerio posted:

If you don't mind currently airing, try out Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu LOVE!! It's a Sailor Moon parody made by the guy who made Daily Lives of High School Boys.

Otherwise, my standard recommendation for this type of thing is Spice and Wolf. It's 26 episodes, but it's two seasons and the first season is fine on its own.

I've heard a lot about the latter but the sailor moon parody is new to me, I'll try it out!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Hace posted:

I've heard a lot about the latter but the sailor moon parody is new to me, I'll try it out!

As I said, it's currently airing, but it's got 5 episodes out so far and they're all great. It's not the deepest anime ever, but it's fun

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
Guess it's finally time to watch some Sailor Moon.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Pewdiepie posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotte_no_Omocha!

Wikipedia posted:

In the medieval fantasy world of Álfheimr, succubus princess Astarotte Ygvar, the first princess of the kingdom of Ygvarland (ユグヴァルランド Yuguvarurando?), has just reached the age of 10. 10 years old is a special age for a young succubus, as it is when they are traditionally expected to form a male harem.

In order to maintain their body and preserve their beautiful appearance, Succubi who have undergone puberty must consume male essence, much like how a vampire must consume blood. Initially a mere kiss will suffice, however as Succubi mature into young adults they eventually need to consume a liquid called "sáðfryma," better known as semen, to sustain themselves. The harems they form ensure a steady and safe supply of the liquid.

The princess, however, bears a great dislike against men, and only agrees to create a harem if a human male is to join, as humans are said to be extinct. However her followers are somehow able to find a human male named Naoya Tohara who, along with his daughter Asuha, is brought to the monster realm to be part of Astarotte's harem.

:anime:

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 12, 2015

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
This just in: Patlabor rules.

It's one of the older shows I've ever watched but I really like how crisp it looks.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

John McClane posted:

This just in: Patlabor rules.

It's one of the older shows I've ever watched but I really like how crisp it looks.

The art direction is pretty good, so that really goes a long way.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Starring Rie Kugimiya.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

Srice posted:

The art direction is pretty good, so that really goes a long way.

Totally.

One question: Are they supposed to be firing blue energy balls? In the first episode of the OVA they mention firing live rounds. Is it like a GI Joe thing where they couldn't be shown firing actual bullets?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty sure they're just stylised bullets because real bullets aren't very interesting or exciting to animate. It being Japan there could be a can't show real bullets issue though.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I like when the tanks get shot in Girls und Panzer and I'm not sure why. It might just be because tanks shooting stuff is cool.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Upon watching more Sally the Witch I have learned that it teaches children valuable advice, like if a bully threatens you then you should stop him with violence.

It's still recycling a lot of Looney Tunes gags but hell, if you gotta recycle then recycle from the best. The gag where someone paints a fake door/tunnel/whatever never gets old.

Also, the translation is mostly fine but then you get stuff like

Which rules but lol at having that as a translation choice in a kid's show.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finally finished K-on season 1, it was pretty okay but Hidamari Sketch, Non Non Biyori and Barakamon are still the top tier SoL shows. Mio's song lyrics are hilariously awful though. I also found it amusing how much they tried to avoid showing them actually playing anything, I guess KyoAni didn't own all the money in Japan at that point.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I wouldn't call Barakamon sol, it had too solid a main story arc for that.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Finally finished K-on season 1, it was pretty okay but Hidamari Sketch, Non Non Biyori and Barakamon are still the top tier SoL shows. Mio's song lyrics are hilariously awful though. I also found it amusing how much they tried to avoid showing them actually playing anything, I guess KyoAni didn't own all the money in Japan at that point.

The entire point of K-ON is that it's not about playing music, and actually about everything the band does that isn't playing music.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I guess, given the quality of the songs on show, I should be grateful for that. The ED was pretty good though.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Sakurazuka posted:

I guess, given the quality of the songs on show, I should be grateful for that. The ED was pretty good though.

Fuwa Fuwa time is a masterpiece

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

im going to destroy the sakurazuka guy

----------------

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

k-on is better than the other shows you named

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

Only if someone else adopts his avatar.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Twiddy posted:

Only if someone else adopts his avatar.

the only person who should adopt his avatar is the garbage can

----------------

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

:ohdear:

Davincie posted:

I don't agree with this opinion, sorry.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Davincie posted:

Non Non Biyori owns, but this is true

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Non Non Biyori owns, but this is true

Not agreed, Barakamon is glorious and Non Non Biyori does indeed own. I don't know anything about hidamari sketch though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ViggyNash posted:

I don't know anything about hidamari sketch though.
SHAFT does "4 girls in a dorm with a common interest (art)." :3: ensues.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I watched most of hidamari sketch when I had a 40 C fever thanks to swine flu and it was great.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

I watched most of hidamari sketch when I had a 40 C fever thanks to swine flu and it was great.
okay, but how was hidamari sketch?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
HIdamari Sketch was one of those shows that I think got better through each incarnation. The first one has some real artsy type stuff like "photo realistic teddy bear or clock suddenly" before cutting back to two girls talking about art class. And then Miyako eats all the bread.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I finally got around to watching the first couple episodes of Captain Tylor, and I'm loving it. Tylor is such a fun protagonist, and the show just keeps upping the insanity he can wreak. And I don't hate the art style yet.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Good Listener posted:

HIdamari Sketch was one of those shows that I think got better through each incarnation. The first one has some real artsy type stuff like "photo realistic teddy bear or clock suddenly" before cutting back to two girls talking about art class. And then Miyako eats all the bread.

That's because with each successive season, Shaft was able to put more money into it. It's been a while since I watched everything, but since it's not necessary to watch everything from the start, I'd recommend starting with the second or third season, primarily because of the better production quality.

I was travelling on the weekend, so I did I watched a bunch of stuff. I watched Macross Plus and Gundam 0080, as was recommended to me by the thread, and a friend respectively. Macross Plus was good, the fights were really good, but the mechs themselves did nothing for me. I think I would have enjoyed the same story in a different setting more. Something I did appreciate was how so much of the story was character driven. I liked it the most of the three mecha shows I tried.

For 0080, I didn't really like it. I couldn't stand the little kid playing soldier considering the gravity of the whole situation, regardless of the tone of the show. The best part of it was easily the monologue at the end. It really encompassed the whole message of the show. Bernie's message telling Al not to hate the Gundam pilot felt really genuine. It, along with the principal's speech at the destroyed school really conveyed the message of "War sucks, especially for those who aren't at fault".

In the end, I think mecha shows still aren't for me. I'll probably continue on with Turn A down the road, but in the meantime, I think I'm gonna go back to other genres.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

unpronounceable posted:

For 0080, I didn't really like it. I couldn't stand the little kid playing soldier considering the gravity of the whole situation, regardless of the tone of the show.

That's kind of like, the whole point. It's a meta commentary on selling Gundam toys. He grows up over the course of the ova and realizes how horrible war really is. It's called a character arc.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

WickedHate posted:

That's kind of like, the whole point. It's a meta commentary on selling Gundam toys. He grows up over the course of the ova and realizes how horrible war really is. It's called a character arc.
I can't tell if you're trying to be helpful or condescending. I get that his character arc is central to the ova. I can appreciate the intention behind the juxtaposition of the mood against the situation. I think it does a good job at conveying its message. That doesn't change the fact that I found it painful to watch, nor does it mean that I have to like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

unpronounceable posted:

I can't tell if you're trying to be helpful or condescending. I get that his character arc is central to the ova. I can appreciate the intention behind the juxtaposition of the mood against the situation. I think it does a good job at conveying its message. That doesn't change the fact that I found it painful to watch, nor does it mean that I have to like it.

Sorry, it seemed like you weren't aware of how it fitted into everything, and even if you weren't, you're right, I was being a dick, my apologies.

• Locked thread