Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Has there been a new ip released on the xbox one or ps4 yet that people actually like rather than talking about how good the sequel will be?

The last time this wasn't the case for a new console is when they made the jump to 3d and people were too busy having their minds blown to actually exercise any critical capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Harrow posted:

Yep, pretty much.

I mean, I don't think a hypothetical "Citizen Kane of video games" would necessarily have to have been unpopular or a financial failure in its time. Those are sometimes side effects of taking risks and being ahead of its time, but that's not always the case. But it should be a game that essentially defines a lot of what we consider "modern" in video games. It's hard to think of an analogue in games for what Citizen Kane brought to movies, because Citizen Kane innovated on a bunch of aspects that are common to just about every kind of movie. If I had to identify something that's inherent to what a video game is, something that is common to all video games, I guess I'd have to say that a player has to be able to interact with it in some way. So a hypothetical "Citizen Kane of video games" would probably have to innovate hugely on how we interact with games in a way that (slowly) becomes hugely influential, while also being an excellent game in its own right.

Chances are, either that's already happened and we don't have the critical distance yet to identify it (like Sleeveless pointed out, applying it to a new game is almost certainly missing the point), or it won't happen for a long while because video games are too busy pretending to be movies to be their own medium.

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Somebody contact the person who keeps the tumblr so that we can get Harrow's post featured on it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Truly I am the Orson Welles of bad posting.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I thought it was an alright post.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's fine because its true.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Heavy Rain was the One Flew Over the Coocoo's Nest of gaming

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

I really liked Heavy Rain and the twist really blew my mind

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Describe Heavy Rain as a combination of a novel and album, e.g. "It is like Philip K. Dick's Ubik if it were performed like Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here."

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

I don't read books due to my crippling ADHD and my musical taste stopped evolving when I was 13 so all I ever listen to is blink 182.

Heavy Rain is basically Saw with funny accents but I like it anyway

gay skull fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 26, 2015

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
today is a tough day goons

to get the DBZ game or to get the dynasty warriors game

on one hand goku

on the other hand

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
2 bad games hmm yes which one shall i buy

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
it will be bad game friday tomorrow

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Goku comes and goes but Hitler is once in a lifetime.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the goku game is actually quite good

meet Crazy Uncle Hoegbottom, the alarmingly-crotched swaglord of time

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Finally, Goku must share his trailer with a sketchy older brother, as all DBZ fans once did.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

While I never watched popular program, dragon Ball z, I did play Chrono Trigger and the Dragon Quest games, which feature art from the Dragon Ball man, who clearly has a thing for puff puff.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

While I never watched popular program, dragon Ball z, I did play Chrono Trigger and the Dragon Quest games, which feature art from the Dragon Ball man, who clearly has a thing for puff puff.
The mere fact that you call it that tells me you're not ready.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*covers my picture of two slimes rubbing against a person's face with a mario poster, so no one will see*

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FactsAreUseless posted:

The mere fact that you call it that tells me you're not ready.

Puff puff is the canon term.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Puff puff is the canon term.
Lurdiak confirmed as terminally allergic to humor.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yo, gaming is cool, but you know what else is cool? Baby owls: http://hdontap.com/index.php/video/stream/great-horned-owl-cam

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lurdiak confirmed as terminally allergic to humor.

I don't joke about canon.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I don't joke about canon.

please buy a television, or at the very least, a banana

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A Spider Covets posted:

please buy a television, or at the very least, a banana

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yo, gaming is cool, but you know what else is cool? Baby owls: http://hdontap.com/index.php/video/stream/great-horned-owl-cam
It's trying to groom its feathers oh my god.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Happy Mask Salesman (shaking Link): There were 250,000 rupees lining the walls of that Skulltula web! How much clearer can I say "There's always money in skulltula hunting!"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Happy Mask Salesman (shaking Link): There were 250,000 rupees lining the walls of that Skulltula web! How much clearer can I say "There's always money in skulltula hunting!"
Link, imitating cuccoo: Chaw chi chaw chi chaw chi chaw!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's trying to groom its feathers oh my god.

Birds are cool. My pet bird is currently kind of chilling, talking in a little tiny, embarrassed voice to his little triforce mirror, and grooming his feathers. He just said "Thassa birrd."

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Town Guard, standing slightly offscreen: "NO TOUCHING." Then he gives the Happy Mask Salesman a real good wallop with a deku stick.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Link, imitating cuccoo: Chaw chi chaw chi chaw chi chaw!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A Spider Covets posted:

Town Guard, standing slightly offscreen: "NO TOUCHING." Then he gives the Happy Mask Salesman a real good wallop with a deku stick.
Skull Kid and Moon win "Saddest" at Motherboy Hyrule.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*Groose glides in on the spinner*

Who's ready for some Din's Fire?!

*liquid squirts from his sleeves*

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

*the evil wizard Agahnim stares blankly into the distance*

"Hello Dark World my old friend..."

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

Because the Nintendo code limited early NES developers, often games had to be censored so that the material would be appropriate for baby children. For example, the NES title "Nirvana" was changed so significantly for the US release, it was renamed "Silverchair."

silverchair had this one song with this fat garbagey sounding bass at the beginning that i liked when i was 14. now the guy is a husband on the australian version of real housewives.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I have been trying to change the Darmani death video to have Imogen Heap's "Hide and Seek" play instead of the Song of Healing, but I am no good at all at doing video edits.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Navi: "Hey! [Player name]! Where are you going without ever knowing the way?! Press the Start button to open your map!"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I hope nintendo makes a navi and fi visual novel series and never includes another written tutorial in a zelda game again.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bowser: *roaring*
Dialogue box: "It's closing time, Mario! [A to continue] You don't have to go home but you can't stay here!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
*Link takes sack from ??? labeled "Stink Bag Do Not Eat", opens it*

"I don't know what I expected"

• Locked thread