Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TopherCStone posted:

MacBooks are unusable garbage and I'm posting from one right now.

Weird, sounds like you're using it just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

RMBP hardware is great and Windows supports native EFI booting, so what's the problem? Just install Windows on your macbook. Then just use windows. Problem solved.

I'm with him on haaaating the keyboard layout and how they migrate over to Windows OS. My husband had one for 2 years that I used semi-regularly, and I never got used to it. If he's just going to use Windows anyways, what's the problem with just getting a PC laptop?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Rurutia posted:

I'm with him on haaaating the keyboard layout and how they migrate over to Windows OS. My husband had one for 2 years that I used semi-regularly, and I never got used to it. If he's just going to use Windows anyways, what's the problem with just getting a PC laptop?

STARBUCKS CRED

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
The Windows 8.1 tablet thread - Soon to be the Windows vs. Mac thread from 1992-Present

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Factor Mystic posted:

RMBP hardware is great and Windows supports native EFI booting, so what's the problem? Just install Windows on your macbook. Then just use windows. Problem solved.

Did that, it was a huge pain in the rear end and never worked properly. Doesn't help that Apple purposely gimps their Windows drivers.

In more thread related discussion I am totally replacing my Starbucks Cred with a Surface 3 soon.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Are there any real winners right now as hardware goes in the $5-600 range or below, for either a tablet or hybrid laptop? I'm not looking to do a lot besides browse the net (with my usual set of Firefox extensions--ublock, h264ify, and lots of tabs--so maybe that's harder than it sounds :v:) and stream from my Plex server, and play the odd lightweight game (think Crypt of the Necrodancer sort of level). Really the only real reason I need a Windows tablet/laptop and not Android/iOS is a couple specific applications and the need to access SMB/NFS shares directly.

The laptop thread in SH/SC has suggested perhaps the Surface 3, which looks nice and has a good form factor, but (if I include the keyboard) it seems a bit expensive for what you get hardware wise, compared to something like the Lenovo Flex line (though those look uncomfortable to use in tablet form).

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ciaphas posted:

Are there any real winners right now as hardware goes in the $5-600 range or below, for either a tablet or hybrid laptop? I'm not looking to do a lot besides browse the net (with my usual set of Firefox extensions--ublock, h264ify, and lots of tabs--so maybe that's harder than it sounds :v:) and stream from my Plex server, and play the odd lightweight game (think Crypt of the Necrodancer sort of level). Really the only real reason I need a Windows tablet/laptop and not Android/iOS is a couple specific applications and the need to access SMB/NFS shares directly.

The laptop thread in SH/SC has suggested perhaps the Surface 3, which looks nice and has a good form factor, but (if I include the keyboard) it seems a bit expensive for what you get hardware wise, compared to something like the Lenovo Flex line (though those look uncomfortable to use in tablet form).

Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 13 is a dark horse nobody mentioned. Beautiful screen, great battery life, 4 GB of RAM, includes a bluetooth keyboard and is under $400 if you get a refurbished one.

http://outlet.lenovo.com/outlet_us/itemdetails/59RF2177/445/9B88CE027F33BC79807686A345F18071

Or you can get a new one for $500 http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/lenovo/yoga-tablet-series/yoga-tablet-2-win-13

I paid $350 for mine and it's fantastic (but you have to upgrade to Windows 10 because there's some weird issue with the keyboard driver on Windows 8.1 that causes it to error out and it's a pain to deal with)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 8, 2015

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

I agree the Surface 3 Type Keyboard is expensive but the combo is still the best deal for what you are looking for. The build quality is also top notch for both.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
There's no reason to get a MacBook Anything now that Dell has the XPS 13 and 15. You can get a fully-loaded XPS 15 for what the entry-level MacBook Pro costs and you get a touchscreen on top. The trackpad on the 15 isn't as good as Apple's but the 13's gets awfully close, and it supports the new Windows 10 driver system.

The only reason I can think of to get a MacBook is if you absolutely must have a 16:10 screen, which is really nice but not terribly necessary at high resolution. Magsafe is also a bonus but I've somehow gone this long without tripping over a cable and damaging myself or the attached device.

Now, all of that is just for personal use. If Macs are standard at your shop it's probably better to conform, but if the toolchain isn't dependent on them use whatever lets you do your job best provided you can solve your own driver issues.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

They are absolutely right to do this
Funny story: I talked to a company whose product is an all open-source stack but they give you a choice of a MBP or top-notch Dell when signing up because not only is their main IDE and toolchain cross-platform but, in the one team lead's words, people using the Macs would forget that 99% of their users are on Windows and neglect to test the front end properly.

I worked at an all-Mac shop and definitely would have been able to do my job better with a Windows dev environment because talking to MSSQL on a Mac is loving painful and the only working driver stack has four year old performance-crippling bugs. I would have saved hundreds of man-hours testing compared to the dozen or so it would have taken to get our dev environment running on Windows.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 9, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks Ixian and Call Me Charlie for the suggestions. If I can find one in a store to get my hands on I'll try the Yoga 2 13", see how I like the feel of it in tablet and laptop form; otherwise I'll probably just end up with the Surface 3, since I HAVE played with that and like the feel of it in all its forms.

Is the basic Surface 3 (2GB RAM, as I recall) good enough to manage Firefox or Chrome with some half dozen extensions and up to a dozen tabs, or am I gonna want the 4GB?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hi I'm a developer and literally work in notepad and a webmail client but let me tell you how a MBP owns

edit: why do t you just bootcamp it? Because it's buggy and poo poo and why do I have to work through a layer of home computing bullshit to access the good stuff?

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 9, 2015

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks Ixian and Call Me Charlie for the suggestions. If I can find one in a store to get my hands on I'll try the Yoga 2 13", see how I like the feel of it in tablet and laptop form; otherwise I'll probably just end up with the Surface 3, since I HAVE played with that and like the feel of it in all its forms.

Is the basic Surface 3 (2GB RAM, as I recall) good enough to manage Firefox or Chrome with some half dozen extensions and up to a dozen tabs, or am I gonna want the 4GB?

It's good enough, yes. 8.1 and 10 are much better dealing with memory these days, as are more recent versions of Chrome (not sure about Firefox). Just don't load it up with a lot of extensions, etc.

However if you can squeeze it spend the $100 and get the 4gb with the extra storage, because that one goes from "good enough" to "perfect". I routinely have Chrome with 20-25 tabs open, 5 extensions (adblock, dlisted, etc.) plus other stuff like Windows 10 apps/readers and it's fine. It's not as quick on the draw to open larger programs as my SP3 because the storage is eMMC instead of SATA but I only notice if I have the two together, which I usually don't because I gave my SP3 to my wife.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I switched to Firefox recently from Chrome and I feel like it's a bit of a stronger performer than Chrome, and more noticeably on my Surface 3. I haven't actually tested them side by side, but I'm a tab whore and really on either browser I've been fine.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
After months of trying to convince myself I don't NEED one, I just bit the bullet and got a SP3. Anything in particular I should know about it?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Don't use chrome.

VVV: There were lots of problems with chrome being a resource hog and draining the battery very fast, and so on. Especially if on youtube, but I guess it's been fixed now? So yeah, you can use chrome again it seems. Ignore my previous statement I guess.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 9, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I use Chrome on my SP3 and it's fine???

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Chrome was fixed a long time ago (for battery, etc. issues).

It's not particularly touch friendly, especially at high dpi on small screens, but then, neither is Edge :) It works better for touch then it used to.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The only reason I prefer Firefox is the ctrl shift e thing for tab management, they're both equally memory greedy to me otherwise :kiddo:

Got my hands on a Yoga earlier, and I prefer the look and feel of the Surface, so I think that's where my money is going. Sure wish the keyboard were cheaper though :(

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Windows 10 build 10166 is out on the Fast Ring:

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/07/09/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10166/

Fixes galore. I don't know if this is the official "RTM" build but it is close. I will see if swipe-back works in Edge now just for you Charlie :)

Ciaphas posted:

Got my hands on a Yoga earlier, and I prefer the look and feel of the Surface, so I think that's where my money is going. Sure wish the keyboard were cheaper though :(

Don't we all. You get what you pay for though. The Type Cover 2 was kind of crap (particularly the touchpad) but the Type Cover 3 is pretty nice and stands up to a beating. It is also surprisingly nice to type on considering how small it is. The touchpad is decent but a little small (however the entire screen is a touchpad if you want to look at it that way, which I often do).

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I've got 10162 on my HP Stream 7 and this is way ahead of how 10130 was on this thing. I actually really like how this works, it works how I initially envisioned Windows on a tablet to be.

It's still sluggish, but I'm fighting some driver issues, and I don't think it did the compressed install. But well worth a test.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

How much of a hard time is it to recover a surface 3 back to stock? I get the feeling I'm going to be experimenting with Win10, but I'd like to easily be able to roll back. Is the process the same as it is on a PC (get your product key if you didn't write it down, download an ISO, put it on a USB stick, make it bootable, etc)?

That's one thing I like about Macbooks, hold cmd-R at bootup and you can reinstall the OS from the internet right then and there. Wish Windows had an equivalent.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
You can make a recovery USB, that's what I did for my Stream 7.

e: Should mention, straight from Windows before you upgrade. Just search "recovery disk".

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 9, 2015

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

How much of a hard time is it to recover a surface 3 back to stock? I get the feeling I'm going to be experimenting with Win10, but I'd like to easily be able to roll back. Is the process the same as it is on a PC (get your product key if you didn't write it down, download an ISO, put it on a USB stick, make it bootable, etc)?

That's one thing I like about Macbooks, hold cmd-R at bootup and you can reinstall the OS from the internet right then and there. Wish Windows had an equivalent.

You can do a recovery easily as Protocol7 mentions, right from the OS, but the even easier method is to install the free version of Macrium Reflect (6 was just released) and use that - it will back up everything you have, recovery partition and all, exactly as you have it now, apps and all. And it is surprisingly fast, I don't know what wizardry they are doing that companies like Acronis are not but if you are backing up to a decent USB 3 drive even a 512gb SP3 takes like 10-15 minutes.

That is how I back up both my Surface (SP3 and S3) tablets. I can even restore them and go back to stock recovery from there if I wanted.

Edit: Should mention that I have not only used it to back up images but have done a restore with it as well.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Ciaphas posted:

Everyone in the "More poo poo That Pisses You Off" thread would hate you for bringing up this idea. "I forgot my password" help desk tickets would be replaced by "I wiped my laptop."

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ixian posted:

And it is surprisingly fast, I don't know what wizardry they are doing that companies like Acronis are not but if you are backing up to a decent USB 3 drive even a 512gb SP3 takes like 10-15 minutes.
I stopped using Acronis when a test restore of a single file failed miserably and showed my backup strategy had been "don't die" for close to five years, so they're not a great benchmark.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

Everyone in the "More poo poo That Pisses You Off" thread would hate you for bringing up this idea. "I forgot my password" help desk tickets would be replaced by "I wiped my laptop."

Fair point :v:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ixian posted:

The Windows 8.1 tablet thread - Soon to be the Windows vs. Mac thread from 1992-Present
Holy poo poo you aren't kidding. This is not the thread to get real mad about MacBooks.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Oh my god, what the gently caress is this Windows 8.1? I'm completely horrified at first glance, this is my first real exposure. I've been living in the Win7 bubble since it released.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ixian posted:

Windows 10 build 10166 is out on the Fast Ring: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/07/09/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10166/ Fixes galore. I don't know if this is the official "RTM" build but it is close. I will see if swipe-back works in Edge now just for you Charlie :)

I'm on it, brother. And the answer is no :suicide:

Ciaphas posted:

Acer has it set up if you hold (I think) the power button and volume up, it will restore from the factory image. Holding volume down while booting takes you to the BIOS.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

Acer has it set up if you hold (I think) the power button and volume up, it will restore from the factory image
Is that Internet recovery or just a recovery partition?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'm on it, brother. And the answer is no :suicide:

Now you got me annoyed by it :) For what it's worth one of the lead Edge developers tweeted that forward/back swipes and other touch gestures are coming to Edge, "post RTM" whatever date that ends up being. So, they have it on a roadmap, at least.

Better touch and extensions compatible with (or at least easy to port from) Chrome? Edge might turn out to be good.

Then again, "it's about to be good" has kind of been the mantra for Microsoft across all manner of products for years now :)

PS sad yet hilarious that Chrome does this now and Microsoft's browser doesn't - Chrome is a better touch browser than IE or Edge! Talk about a reversal from when 8 launched. If I could figure out a way to make the nav bar and tabs in Chrome bigger on small screens without also boosting the size of everything else it'd be almost perfect, actually.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Is that Internet recovery or just a recovery partition?

Recovery partition. You can back it up to USB or a removable drive, in fact they recommend you do. Then you can delete the partition if you want.

"Internet Recovery" at Microsoft for the Surface line at least is still "download our iso somewhere else, the key is built in the UEFI bios" :)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ixian posted:

Recovery partition. You can back it up to USB or a removable drive, in fact they recommend you do. Then you can delete the partition if you want.
Oh, OEMs have been doing that forever then. I was curious if an OEM had managed to pull off Apple's Internet Recovery and I hadn't heard about it.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Oh, OEMs have been doing that forever then. I was curious if an OEM had managed to pull off Apple's Internet Recovery and I hadn't heard about it.

Not without running afoul of MS licensing. Easy enough for Apple in their closed ecosystem but probably gives the lawyers in Redmond the heebie-jeebies still.

I work for a company comparable in size to MS after an acquisition and it's a similar mix of forward looking, "to the future!" sword waving acolytes and pockets of deeply rooted conservative resistance. It results in a lot of "why won't they do <x>, especially if over <y> they allow <z>?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

notZaar posted:

Oh my god, what the gently caress is this Windows 8.1? I'm completely horrified at first glance, this is my first real exposure. I've been living in the Win7 bubble since it released.
I've been using 8 then 8.1 fairly shortly after their releases and I don't think I could go back. You'll get used to it and start to wonder why everyone complained.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

notZaar posted:

It's the best. Not trying to be a Windows fanboy, but I switched to Windows 10 two weeks ago and I miss almost everything about 8.1 on my tablet. If you're using it on a desktop or non touchscreen then you probably won't like it as much. It was really made to be touched.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hmm, my Surface 3 is in trouble already, it seems. I decided like a doof to try installing Windows 10, and the pen refused to pair ("Driver Error" :confused:), so on a whim I decided to try the recovery USB key I'd made before. It's just kind of rebooting over and over asking if I want to continue to windows 10 or... use the key to recover.

:saddowns:

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

wookieepelt posted:

It's the best. Not trying to be a Windows fanboy, but I switched to Windows 10 two weeks ago and I miss almost everything about 8.1 on my tablet. If you're using it on a desktop or non touchscreen then you probably won't like it as much. It was really made to be touched.

Eh, 8.1 is perfectly fine on desktop if you just set it to boot to Desktop and remember to right-click on the Start Menu button instead of left.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

In tablet mode, Firefox doesn't seem to automatically pop up the touch keyboard, but Chrome does (and in Edge, of course). Is that likely a deficiency in Windows 10 right now, the Surface 3, or Firefox itself?

Learning a new tablet and OS (sort of) is hard :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

Hmm, my Surface 3 is in trouble already, it seems. I decided like a doof to try installing Windows 10, and the pen refused to pair ("Driver Error" :confused:), so on a whim I decided to try the recovery USB key I'd made before. It's just kind of rebooting over and over asking if I want to continue to windows 10 or... use the key to recover.

:saddowns:

On both my SP3 and S3 the pen works fine. In fact I only have one pen, the one that came with my SP3 (the S3 doesn't include it) so I have paired/unpaired it several times.

What build are you running? And did you do a clean install? For the preview I always recommend a clean install, reinstalling crap if you have an MSA (or Google, Apple, Firefox, etc.) account is usually a snap, unless you have installed a shitton of legacy programs, which seems unusual for an SP3 but everyone is different.

For the situation you are in now have you tried a hard power reset (hold power + volume down until the Surface logo appears) and boot directly off your recovery drive?

Also you know that recovery drive you made, if you made it inside of Windows itself, is only going to take you back to a clean Windows install, right? You might as well go with a clean 10162 install, sign in with your Microsoft account, choose fast ring, and update to 10166 which came out today. It works really well on the SP3.

Ciaphas posted:

In tablet mode, Firefox doesn't seem to automatically pop up the touch keyboard, but Chrome does (and in Edge, of course). Is that likely a deficiency in Windows 10 right now, the Surface 3, or Firefox itself?

Learning a new tablet and OS (sort of) is hard :saddowns:

The keyboard is an API call as I recall, though it's weird Firefox doesn't support it. Maybe they are using some different kind of text input detection - have you tried Googling the issue?

• Locked thread