Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muerte
Jan 22, 2015

*I shamelessly stole this from Firehawks thread in 2013 which he used from ColonelJohnMatrix's thread in the archives. I've edited a few sections and updated a few things as well. If you see anything else that needs updating let me know.

What is Disc Golf?
It is a game where you throw a frisbee type disk into a basket usually 150' to 450+ feet away. The object is the same as golf lowest score wins.

Why should I play Disc Golf?
Simply put.

It’s fun, great low-impact exercise, and a great activity to play with friends (or to meet new ones). It's also a very affordable game; you probably have most of the required equipment (shoes, clothes, etc), most courses are free to play and you can pick up a good starter disc for less than 10 dollars. Even once the addiction really sets in and you’ve invested a few hundred dollars in bags and discs, it’s still relatively inexpensive compared to many sports.

It’s a game that can be played by almost anyone, age, strength, and fitness, matter much less than technique and finesse. I've seen grandparents, people in wheel chairs, children all enjoying the game.

How do I play Disc Golf?
DG is similar to real golf in many ways. Most courses are 18 holes, some are 9, some have only a few baskets. Each hole has a par (usually 3, 4, or 5) that depends on distance and various hazards (water, trees, etc). Some have multiple basket locations and/or multiple tee locations that help change things up or provide additional challenge.

You play by throwing your disc from the Tee to the Basket. This is usually done in a succession of throws, a drive off the Tee, a mid-range throw towards the basket, and a putt into the basket to finish.

Where do I play?
There is probably at least one disc golf course near you!

Disc Golf Course Review (DCGR) is a good place to look for courses and players in your area. And has a pretty extensive set of forums with tips on everything from improving your game to how-to try to get a course built in your area. Their disc dying subforum is probably the best place to look for help with dying (or just to marvel at some of the amazing discs others are dying)

Disc Golf Scene - DGS is like the Facebook of disc golf. Great for organizing local games, playing in leagues, tracking your scores, and such. Doesn't have much in the way of discussion or tips, but it works really well for comparing scores and tracking rivalries if you can get your friends to sign up.

What do I play with?

Disc Golf is played with purpose made discs. There are many manufacturers who build high quality discs, with all different types of flight characteristics. Here are the basics.

Disc Types

Putter These discs are the shaped the most like traditional Frisbees. They have rounded corners for control, and are used when you are close to the basket.

Mid Range These discs are much like Irons in traditional golf. They are normally used for shorter shots, when a driver isn't needed. Many people start with one of these discs because they are easy to throw & control.

Fairway Driver Easier to control than a distance driver, but have a greater range that a mid range.

Distance Driver These discs have sharp edges, and when thrown properly can achieve maximum distance. These are generally the hardest discs to throw, and need to be thrown at high speed to be effective.

Disc Manufacturers
There are many disc manufacturers, but here are links to some of the most popular. These sites have flight charts for each disc.

Innova - http://www.innovadiscs.com/ Innova is probably the most popular disc brand. They have a great website describing all the discs they offer.
Discraft - http://www.discraft.com/ Discraft is another mega popular brand of discs.
Gateway Discs - http://www.gdstour.com/ Yet another popular brand.
Latitude 64 - http://www.latitude64.se/products/golf-discs/
Ching - http://ching.us.com/
Quest - http://www.questat.com/
DGA - http://www.discgolfassoc.com/
Discmania - http://www.discmania.net/
Millennium - http://www.golfdisc.com/

So many discs, what should I start out with? Many people recommend a mid-range like the Innova Roc. Innova recommends this themselves. For putting, I’m a fan of Gateways soft Wizard. Discraft’s Buzz mid-range and Challenger putter are very popular as well.

Don't fall into the trap of buying a million discs right off the bat. You should pick a disc or two, and then just go out and play. Wait until you know what you're doing before buying more. By then you’ll have some disc golfing friends, and can try out some of their discs as well.

Joe's Universal Flight Chart Awesome chart to see the characteristics of different discs. It’s also available as an Android App

Where to Buy Discs
Disc Golf is growing fast, but is still a small sport. Try to support local shops if you have them. Many times there will be a small disc shop run out of someone’s garage.

Sports Authority are hit and miss. If there is a course nearby they will most likely carry some in stock. If a course is 20+ min away I find they don't carry them.

Play-It-Again Sports usually has discs in stock, and sometimes they have used discs as well. Sports Authority will often have a basic selection of decent discs as well. Avoid the non-name-brand disc packs you sometimes find at big box stores like Walmart. They’re usually hard, crappy plastic, and will make you hate disc golf.

Equipment

Besides the actual disks there are a few things that may make your experience more enjoyable.

Bags - They come in a variety of shapes and sizes as well as capacity.

$150+

$50+

Shoes - Some courses have rough tee pads, sometimes due to weather they can be slippery or muddy. I highly recommend a shoe with a grippy sole. I have a Merell outlet store near me so I stick with those. In my opinion shoes are the second most important piece of gear for playing disc golf. Your drive is the most important shot on your way to the basket, nothing is more embarrassing than slipping at the end of the tee.

Towel - Your discs will get muddy, wet, and sandy having a towel in your bag will come in handy. Or you can just wipe it on your shirt like the barbarian you are.

Marker Disk - A marker disc is used to mark every throw and should be a special disc, like a pocket mini disc model that is not used in normal play. The thrown disc is always left on the lie, (where it came to rest,) until the marker disc is placed on the ground directly in front of and touching the disc. The thrown disc is then picked up.

Etiquette
Disc golf is a friendly game. You’ll meet great people, have fun in the outdoors, and throw some plastic discs and metal chains.

Don’t litter. Many people drink beer while playing. If you do, carry your bottles out with you. If you smoke, check with others in your party before you light up, and save your butts for a trash can.

If a group of faster players is playing behind you, offer to let them play through. You’ll have more fun without them nipping at your heels.

Similarly, don’t throw on another group of players. If there’s a group in front of you, let them all putt out and move to the next tee before you throw. Remember that players in front of you might not know your abilities, and even if you know you’re out of range, they don’t. The only legitimate exception is on long holes where they’re waaaaayyy out of your range. For example, we have a 600’ hole with a significant vertical rise at one of our courses, and it’s generally accepted that you can play once the group in front of you is 3/4s of the way up the hill.

Pay ATTENTION, disks travel fast and catching one in the dome is no joke.

Rules
As disc golf has grown, it’s developed a number of rules and regulations designed to make sure everyone is playing on the same page, especially during tournament or competitive play. If you’re just out playing with your friends for fun, have fun. You don’t need to call foot faults on everyone. When my wife and I play and she throws into the woods, she throws from wherever she feels like throwing from.

As you progress and start playing more competitively, you can read all about the rules at the PDGA (Professional Disc Golf Association). http://www.pdga.com/

Disc Throwing Basics - Why do my discs always turn left?

Backhand - The thrower draws the throwing arm across the body from the left to the right (for right-handed throwers) to build velocity for the disc. During this movement, the arm straightens out. As the arm becomes straight, the wrist is flicked to impart spin. Think of a backhand slap. For backhands, the thrower should step with his strong leg (the same side as his throwing arm) forward or across the body to allow a smooth, accurate throw. Right hand backhand throws will naturally fade left, left hand backhand throws will naturally fade right.

Forehand/Sidearm - Grip the disc with middle finger and/or index finger pressed along the inside rim of the disc. The index finger is placed against the middle finger for power, or pressed on the bottom of the disc pointing towards the center for stability. The thumb is pressed against the top of the disc. The wrist is cocked back, and the arm is extended out from the body. A snap of the wrist imparts spin as the disc releases off the fingers. Extension of the lower arm provides additional power, as does shoulder and upper body rotation, although too much reliance on arm movement can lead to "floaty" throws with little spin.

Flight PathGreen is a forehand throw, blue is a backhand throw:

Anhyzer - An anhyzer throw is when you tilt your disc so that the outside edge of the disc is higher than the grip. An anhyzer throw will increase a disc's turn, initially sending it opposite of the throw's natural direction of fade (the disc will turn to the right for a RHBH throw).

Hyzer - A hyzer throw is the opposite of an anhyzer throw. The disc is tilted so that the outside edge of the disc is lower than the grip. A hyzer throw will emphasize the throw's natural direction of fade (the disc will turn harder to the left for a RHBH throw).

Disc Attributes
I think Innova's rating system really does a good job of describing the way discs fly, and is a good place to start from. Obviously the numbering system only applies to Innova discs (Discraft rates their discs differently), but I like the way it breaks the flight into 4 different attributes/phases of flight, and I've found it really helps to describe this when teaching beginners:

Physics
The factors in the throw are thrust, which is produced by the thrower, drag, gravity, and wind. Gravity wants the disc to come back to earth, while lift counteract and forces the disc up into the air. The balance between the two is what we call "Glide". A disc with a lot of glide is a disc that produces a lot of lift. A disc with little glide is a disc that does not produce as much lift.

when a disc is released, the air moving over the top of the disc causes the disc to turn right. The air moving under the disc, along the wing creates lift, as well as forcing the outside edge to point down, and the disc to turn left. Wind and thrust play a factor here. The thrust of a properly executed throw with an evenly stable disc on a windless day will make the disc fly flat. The disc is completely stable but it is really "riding the edge" of turning right and turning left as the thrust propels it forward. As the disc slows down, it will begin to tail off to the left, because the wing of the disc usually has more force than the flight plate. In theory, you could manufacture a disc that would not fade at all, but it has not yet been proved. A disc that would fade to the right would not be possible, because you would not be able to apply ANY force to it, so there would be no way of knowing.

Winds also affects the stability of discs, as you know. For example, if you are throwing a disc into a 20 mph headwind, and you apply enough thrust so that the disc is flying at 35 mph, the air is moving over the disc at 55 mph. This is why discs "turn over" in a headwind. Wind is pushed over the flightplate at such a rapid rate that it forces the right edge of the disc down and causes it to turn right. This is why we throw "overstable" discs into a headwind. Because overstable discs have a wing that produces much more force than the flightplate, the force on the flightplate will not be as great and may not even be great enough to counter the force on the wing.

Drag is the force of the passing air on an object. On a windless day, the drag created by different parts of the disc determines the stability. If the flight plate of a disc creates more drag than its wing, the disc will be "understable" because the greater force on the plate will push the right side of the disc downward and force the disc right. If the wing of a disc creates more drag than the flight plate, the disc will be "overstable" because the greater force on the wing will push the left side of the disc downward and force the disc left. Evenly stable discs have wings and plates that make similar drag. Any shape of disc can be evenly stable, be it a driver, mid-range, or putter, just as long as the drag is evenly balanced.

Finally, you've probably noticed that lighter discs are "less stable" than heavier discs of the same mold and plastic. This is not really true, because if you threw the 2 of them at different weights, but at the same velocity, they would fly the same. Also, you've probably heard that "lighter discs fly further". There is not really a whole lot of truth to this either, because lighter discs can be thrown at higher velocities than heavier discs by the same player. The disc flies further, because the disc is traveling faster. Again, if you threw 2 discs at different weights at the same velocity, their flights would be very similar. (I know that a lighter disc has less mass and therefore less force is exerted on it by gravity, but it will not result in much change.) The same goes for "heavier discs are more stable/ better in the wind" because heavier discs fly slower than lighter discs and their characteristics are more obvious, because the fade starts sooner.

Terminology
Huge glossary of terms

Drive - This is a term used when a player has a long range throw .

Falling Putt - When a player steps in front of their mini marker.

Forehand - A forehand throw is a standard throw where the player has the disc accross their chest to their opposite shoulder and then releases the disc back to the other side of their body. Same as a side arm throw.

Tomahawk - The disc is released from a verticle angle. This causes the disc to fly very high and return to the ground upside-down. Also known as an overhand throw. Also known as a Hammer, or an overhand throw.

Helix - A very nice throw when pulled off. This type of throw results in an s-shaped or backwards s shaped pattern. Often used for getting around complex obstacles.

Hork - The angle of disc flight.

Hyzer - A hyzer throw is the exact opposite of an anhyzer throw. The disc is tilted so that the left side of the disc is lower than the right causing the disc's flight to turn left.

Putt - This is a short throw where the player is attempting to land the disc in the nearby basket.

Roller - A method used to make the disc roll on it's side. The throw can be accomplished a couple of ways. One way is to throw the disc as if you would throw it like a sidearm throw but raising the disc to your shoulder (like you would throw a baseball). Another approach is to throw the disc with an extreme anhyzer. A great "roller" disc would be Discraft's "Stratus".

Sidearm - A sidearm throw is the exact opposite to a backhand throw. The sidearm throw is where the player starts out with the disc away from their body and then pulls back towards the body. Sidearm is a good throw for right fade flights for right handers (and opposite for left handers)

Stability - This term refers to the results of a discs flight. If a disc is stable it will fly straight. Understable is a disc that turns right. Overstable is a disc that turns left.

Turnover - This is a disc with an unstable flight

Videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo This video is really good, and encourages you to develop your technique from the most important parts backwards, so that your fundamentals are right.

Links
http://www.discgolfreview.com/ - Not updated much anymore, but great instructional tips for beginner through advanced players
Easy Score Card - (website) (android app) I love this app. If you get this do yourself a favor and spend the couple bucks for the pro version. You can then download courses. I’ve been using this for several seasons and it is great to be able to go back and see when I played a course and how I did.

Find a local Goon to play with:

Phoenix/Chandler Arizona Area:
Muerte

If you would like to be added to this list let me know and I'll keep it updated.

If you ignore everything in this thread at least take away this one piece of advice. If you ever doubt yourself on which disk to throw in a certain situation just think,

Let’s play some disc!

Muerte fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
Great OP, just started playing a couple weeks ago and wondered if there was a disc golf thread on SA. We've got a couple courses near me and thanks to the warm and dry winter we've had here in Southern Oregon(sorry everyone else in the US) I've been able to get out quite a few times.

If you play a bit you will notice dramatic improvement pretty quick, I'm throwing a lot farther already. As the OP mentioned when starting out, throw as many different types of discs as you can with varying weight, type, etc to find ones you like. Really I only use 3 discs 90% of the time, my Sidewinder driver, Roc for mid shots and an Aviar putter. Everyone I've met while playing has been really friendly also, which is nice.

Muerte
Jan 22, 2015

Bankok posted:

Great OP, just started playing a couple weeks ago and wondered if there was a disc golf thread on SA. We've got a couple courses near me and thanks to the warm and dry winter we've had here in Southern Oregon(sorry everyone else in the US) I've been able to get out quite a few times.

If you play a bit you will notice dramatic improvement pretty quick, I'm throwing a lot farther already. As the OP mentioned when starting out, throw as many different types of discs as you can with varying weight, type, etc to find ones you like. Really I only use 3 discs 90% of the time, my Sidewinder driver, Roc for mid shots and an Aviar putter. Everyone I've met while playing has been really friendly also, which is nice.

I dont miss losing my disks in the snow or leaves that's for sure. But now I have to worry about snakes, scorpions and spiders when I pick my disks up.

Evil_Penguin_v2
Apr 18, 2004
Ask me about my brother.
Sweet a new thread. I think i may have posted the most in the last one that got moved. Nice OP btw covered a lot of info. Maybe we can get more people involved the last one was only being fallowed by 4 puerile i think

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
Come out and play!

Hyzer: Natural flight path.
Anhyzer: Opposite of natural flight path.

Make it easy.

Want to get better? Play a ton and remember, every time, that you're out there to have fun.

Forehand/Side Arm: Same thing.

Etiquette:
Nobody cares if you're bad. Even the best professionals don't care.
People DO care if you take forever to throw. If you're a beginner, you'll need to throw more often, so kindly throw when it's your turn and hustle to your disc. I've been playing for 10 years and I still hustle to my disc if I'm up next. It's fun.
If you're in a group of 5 or more, and you're not playing seriously, just throw when you're ready for the shot(s) approaching the basket. Get on with it and remember: Nobody cares if you're bad, but they DO care if you take forever to throw.
When you're close to the basket, putt one player at a time and try not to distract the putter. If you're putting, take your time and try to make it. You can do it!
If, at any time, for any reason, you're holding up the group behind you, just be cool and tell them they can play through. All of us are here to enjoy the beautiful day.

Rules:
Don't step beyond the tee pad when driving. It's against the rules and a bad habit.
If you're more than 10 meters (30+ feet) out from the basket, you may step beyond your mark (fall forward) with your shot.
If you're closer than 10 meters to the basket, you MUST keep your balance when putting. You're not technically allowed to step forward beyond your mark until the disc is at rest in the basket. This may seem harsh to beginners, but I recommend you do it. It'll make you a better putter, and good putting wins games.
Know what the boundaries are for your course, if you're at all serious. If not, have fun and say "gently caress it" when you throw into the adjacent field. In disc golf, the O.B. rules are similar to ball golf: You take a one-throw penalty for any out of bounds disc, and you must throw from where the disc crossed the plane between inbounds and out of bounds. No closer to the basket, of course.
Disc stuck in a tree? If it's under 2 meters (6+ feet) from the ground, no problem. If it's above 2 meters, get the disc and take a 1 throw penalty.
Top of basket doesn't count. It's gotta be IN the basket.

Advice:
Begin with either a single disc like a Teebird or a driver and putter.
Everybody who tells beginners how to throw is full of poo poo. Get better by playing a whole bunch, just keeping in mind that your only goal is to impart force on the disc with minimal extraneous movements. Keep it simple. Throw it hard, straight, level, and the rest will fall into place over time.
Don't try to fix your lovely skill with fancy plastic. If you suck, you're going to suck with any kind of disc.
If you want to do an exaggerated hyzer or anhyzer throw, don't change your arm motion. Instead, change the angle of your spine. Lean down for a hyzer, lean back for an anhyzer. Keep it simple.

Discs:
As a disc gets beat up, it'll get MORE UNDERSTABLE.
Everything you think about discs is wrong, according to anybody you speak with on a disc golf course. But you know you're right.

Muerte
Jan 22, 2015

One way I taught myself was to play the same hole over and over until I could at least par it consistently. Obviously don't do this if the course is busy, but often times you will find a course or particular hole is dead that is a great time to practice your shots with different disks to see how they react. I find just playing through a course when you are a beginner takes longer to learn how to play properly because of each holes different characteristics.

My go to disks are:

Distance:
Epic I can tomahawk this and get it to go 350' every time and it is straight as an arrow once it flips. My league thinks its the most amazing throw they have ever seen. I use this on most long distance straight holes.

Star Katana / Boss I use this on any holes that have a bend in the lane or an obstacle I have to work around.

Midrange:
Arch Angel technically a driver but I love this disk for short holes with tight OB lines.

R-Pro Roc this is my too far to putt but to close to drive go to disk. It doesn't bounce and is very predictable great for parking under the basket.

Putter:

Soft Wizard only putter I've ever felt comfortable with, these are similar to the Hydra but I had one round about a year ago where I missed 4-5 easy putts and I got pissed and gave the disk to my dog when I got home. Softer putters seem to grab the chains more I have a hard warlock I used to use but too many times it would hit the chains perfectly but bounce off them.

I have many other disks I use for various situations but these are my main ones. I'm looking into trying some other brands besides Innova, Gateway and Aerobie. I think I'm going to buy a set of Latitude 64 and Dynamic Disc next. I started on Innova as that was the only thing available near by me. I want to branch out into some other brands though.

Muerte fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 3, 2015

Evil_Penguin_v2
Apr 18, 2004
Ask me about my brother.
I will do an In the bag! I have the lat 64 pro bag its beat up, and I plan on upgrading to a backpack this year. If prodigy ever releases the bag they give out to team members that would be it.
-Drivers-
Trespass by Dynamic Disc carry 2 of these a little flippy but I can bomb them the best about 400 feet max. 1 dyemax 1 fuzion.
Destroyer by Innova champion plastic this is my stable driver I can trust in the wind
D1 by Prodigy proto Plastic super fast meat hook that is beat in a bit I dont throw it much anymore stays in the bag cause I aced with it.
-Fairway Drivers-
Thunderbird by Innova champion These are newer I love it it is a longer teebird as they are meant to be stable and very trust worthy
Escape by DD 2 of them fuzion and dyemax the fuzion has an ace on it they are flippy fairways that I can throw a lot of shots with.
Saint Pro Lat 64 Gold Line solid disc that has been in my bag for a while great glide with predictable stable fade.
F3 Prodigy 2 of em 750(ace), and 400 plastics 750 is more stable and flies like a teebird not as stable as the 11x kc pros though the 400 is flippy and is my anny driver.
-Mid Ranges-
Truth DD 2 of Bio fuzion and fuzion trusty straight flying go to mid range
Roc Innova Dx plastic more stable then the truth just getting back to them
Verdict DD bio fuzion more stable version of the truth
Gator Innova champion Jolly launcher plastic the meat hook stable I know nobody with the God like arm to flip one and if I did im pretty sure flipping a gator would be ill advised
-Putters-
Sinus AP zero line 4 of em 2 for throwing 2 for putting stable putter I trust and know them always had one in my bag for 4 years.
Wizard SS organic. wizards are fun to throw

Yeah thats my bag if I ever do replace my putter it would be a Prodigy PA3

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Why hello there thread, I almost missed you. I've been discing for 5 or 6 years. Got into it when I moved to northern Colorado, where the sport is huge. There are at least 6 courses in Fort Collins, and literally dozens more within an hours drive, including some amazing ones in the mountains.

[img]http://i.imgur.com[/img]
This is a hole at Sundance in Red Feather Lakes, CO. 100+ foot drop in elevation down a forest covered mountainside, hell yes. Sundance is a dude ranch/lodge. With a 5 dollar donation you can play all day as long as you don't throw when people are riding by on the horses (which is like once a day). Highly recommended but it's hard to go wrong with any of the courses in the Rockies. Disc was pretty much made for the mountain west imho - there's wide open spaces, lots of interesting terrain, and enough people who play hippies that courses get built. There's a beautiful 18-hole course right in the middle of Ft. Collins and I've met east coast people who are blown away by it. It sounded like, where they're from, courses are squeezed into whatever steep mountainside or scrubby patch of forest people can find.

One thing about playing in CO is the elevation. Discs don't fly the same way at 5000 ft. as they do at sea level, much less 8000 ft. like at Red Feather. I'm not sure about the physics but I think in thinner air, discs fly straighter and not as far, because discs get their forward momentum and turn from pushing against the air as they spin. I've met California guys who had to buy a whole new bag when they got to CO.

Disc is super fun, check it out if there's a league or a course near you.

The Pussy Boss fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 4, 2015

Muerte
Jan 22, 2015

I'll have to get some pictures of my own but here are the two courses I play on Saturday league.

This picture doesn't do it justice but this is a beautiful course surrounded by mountains and the course sits atop of an old landfill. My favorite course in Arizona so far.

I hate this course so much I have to play it every week just to try and "beat" it. I can't find a good picture but this course is littered with mesquite trees that are sharp as hell and you literally can't play more than 2 holes without your disk finding a way into one.

I really do miss some of the midwest courses. I miss playing through wooded sections. Nice thing about AZ though is its almost impossible to lose a disk.

Muerte
Jan 22, 2015

Placed 3rd out of 9 in intermediate league today, lost by 2 strokes. Drives were perfect midrange was ok but I took too many chances trying to sink long distance putts which got me in trouble. Ended up with a 62.

Muerte
Jan 22, 2015

Picked up 2 new discs from the guy that runs our league for $20

I've come to the realization that I can not throw back hand and I'm working on getting better at that. I'm working on my form with the rogue so I can get better at throwing the Boss and Katana. The Squall is just a new mid range disk that I can trust from further distances.

Muerte
Jan 22, 2015

Also just picked up a new bag after I found a steal on eBay.

$130

Evil_Penguin_v2
Apr 18, 2004
Ask me about my brother.
Hell of a deal. Anybody watching the Memorial this week? If you look up smashboxx on youtube they are streaming this week.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I used to live near a pretty sweet course back when I was in the DC area (ten minute walk), but now i'm in NYC and it doesn't look like there's anywhere to play nearby. :(

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010

Chaotic Flame posted:

I used to live near a pretty sweet course back when I was in the DC area (ten minute walk), but now i'm in NYC and it doesn't look like there's anywhere to play nearby. :(

Come out to Greystone in Morristown! We just put it in last year and it's awesome.

Muerte
Jan 22, 2015

Evil_Penguin_v2 posted:

Hell of a deal. Anybody watching the Memorial this week? If you look up smashboxx on youtube they are streaming this week.

I live in Phoenix and will be going to try to make it out to the action after my league on Saturday. Never seen a live pro event yet.

Evil_Penguin_v2
Apr 18, 2004
Ask me about my brother.

Muerte posted:

I live in Phoenix and will be going to try to make it out to the action after my league on Saturday. Never seen a live pro event yet.

I live in Dayton and meant to go up to Columbus for the last day of the BHMO last year but wasnt able to. From what I have heard it is absolutely worth it. I have seen 1000+ rated players but watching people like Lizotte throwing putters 350+ while holding a slight anhyzer line is certainly something you wont see very often.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

marsisol posted:

Come out to Greystone in Morristown! We just put it in last year and it's awesome.

I didn't know it was there! I'll definitely stop by once it warms up a bit.

Muerte
Jan 22, 2015

Had to do a sudden death to determine who would get #13 or #35 in league today, CTP was an even walk off so we agreed to go by score. I birdied he pared it was such a stressful day if you watched any coverage of the memorial tournament today you could see how windy today was. I need to play again tomorrow to get my confidence back up. Nothing like watching a perfect drive line all of a sudden skip in the air and take off and land 3 holes over.

e: On another note I picked up an MVP Neutron, Dynamic Discs Trespass 3 Aerobie Epic Spares and a Dynamic Discs Judge. I only really threw the Trespass today and it was great in the wind, looking back I should have thrown it much more.

Muerte fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 1, 2015

Evil_Penguin_v2
Apr 18, 2004
Ask me about my brother.
I switched to PA3s as my putter and love them they aren't going to glide a crazy amount but the do glide so much better at low speeds then the sinus does. I'm not a great putter but so much more confident outside the circle with them, i like generally stiffer plastic for putting don't like that soft and gummy stuff...

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Holy poo poo a disc golf thread on SA. I've been playing for just at a year now. I'm awful but I absolutely love it and wish I could play way more. There's a course about 3 minutes from me, and a multitude of courses in the St. Louis area that I would play if I had more time.

Anyone else throw Legacy discs? I'm slowly inching my bag toward more Legacy because I've fallen in love with their plastic and they have some really good discs overall.

I currently throw two Rivals (legend and icon plastics), an icon Ghost, and an excel Clutch, and I love them all.

Combo fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 29, 2015

Evil_Penguin_v2
Apr 18, 2004
Ask me about my brother.
Looking into the outlaw if you have any power, they were designed with the destroyer in mind. I had to take a destroyer out because it was too beat in and it has replaced it well. Steve Rico the part owner of legacy has done really good things with his molds. The clutch is a challenger, mongoose is a roadrunner or sidewinder... The rival is a teebird supposed to be an 11x but i don't think its that stable. The ghost is a 9x roc. Murdermike who has some cool youtube stuff is a big legacy supporter so is the disc golf guy.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Evil_Penguin_v2 posted:

Looking into the outlaw if you have any power, they were designed with the destroyer in mind. I had to take a destroyer out because it was too beat in and it has replaced it well. Steve Rico the part owner of legacy has done really good things with his molds. The clutch is a challenger, mongoose is a roadrunner or sidewinder... The rival is a teebird supposed to be an 11x but i don't think its that stable. The ghost is a 9x roc. Murdermike who has some cool youtube stuff is a big legacy supporter so is the disc golf guy.

Yeah, wish I had more power but my form is really bad. Like I said, have only been playing for a year and mostly by myself or with another new friend. Rarely play with anyone who has any experience or can help me through what I'm doing wrong.

I don't have anything over a speed 9 in my bag and really don't even need that at the moment.

Evil_Penguin_v2
Apr 18, 2004
Ask me about my brother.

Combo posted:

Yeah, wish I had more power but my form is really bad. Like I said, have only been playing for a year and mostly by myself or with another new friend. Rarely play with anyone who has any experience or can help me through what I'm doing wrong.

I don't have anything over a speed 9 in my bag and really don't even need that at the moment.

Your smart about it. Practice helps, there are plenty of tutorials on youtube also. Ricky Wysocki has an awesome forehand one. Btw you said you were in St. Louis, how is the disc community in the area? Gateway and Nikko Locastro are from the area so it should be decent in my opinion...

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Good amount of courses, and the people I randomly run into are pretty nice. I've been told I should join the local club that calls the course near me home, but their league nights are when I have class and they take absolutely forever to play their Sunday doubles.

I've toured the gateway factory which was cool, but I went during worlds so there was like two people there. I don't throw any gateway stuff really so I mostly just walked around.

Combo fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 29, 2015

Evil_Penguin_v2
Apr 18, 2004
Ask me about my brother.
There putter game is on lock. But i am not a fan of much else... Since JohnE Mccray left for Lat64 I don't have the slightest clue who they sponsor now, I mean I know Nikko left prodigy so he most assured has Wizards back in his bag.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Evil_Penguin_v2 posted:

There putter game is on lock. But i am not a fan of much else... Since JohnE Mccray left for Lat64 I don't have the slightest clue who they sponsor now, I mean I know Nikko left prodigy so he most assured has Wizards back in his bag.

He's throwing a legacy, gateway, mvp mixed bag this year. Waiting for an in the bag from him

Evil_Penguin_v2
Apr 18, 2004
Ask me about my brother.
Yeah saw him on the pure hyzer production stuff, word is he got kicked off prodigy for getting that weed charge. Anyway its cool to see another top level guy throw a mixed bag, the only other person up there is Greg Barsby who is a bad rear end. He still has prodigy in his bag too. I know Rico keeps a firebird and a eagle in his bag also

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
First round of the season yesterday at Rudle Park, my friends all made fun of me because they played all winter even going out in -30C. Really nice day though and I was having a tough round missing a few easy shots until I scored two nice birdies in a row on holes 16 and 17 for a little redemption.:feelsgood:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So I don't play disc golf but I have been playing Ultimate Frisbee for nearly 9 years. Really glad that someone pointed this thread out to me. Maybe it can be a general disc sport discussion place?

The only real disc golf I've played is when we got bored after practice and would screw around trying to hit trees and what not. I'm able to throw a normal Discraft disc nearly the full length of the field both backhand and flick, would I actually be good at disc golf?

I just went to Fool's Fest the other weekend. Anyone else go? It was really cold and windy and absolutely miserable condition wise but all the teams had great spirit. And costumes.

axeil fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 7, 2015

Evil_Penguin_v2
Apr 18, 2004
Ask me about my brother.
Any kind of disc experience will give you a leg up on anyone else just starting. You will probably be able to throw putters and mid ranges a lot further then drivers out the gate but that will change when you get used to the speed of the distance drivers. Putting will also take some getting used to, with you background I'd suggest a spin putt versus a push putt. That also shouldn't be a concern starting out, but the main thing that will frustrate you will be trees and elevation change. A condor would be a good first disc to help you understand the differences in these fine sports.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Evil_Penguin_v2 posted:

Any kind of disc experience will give you a leg up on anyone else just starting. You will probably be able to throw putters and mid ranges a lot further then drivers out the gate but that will change when you get used to the speed of the distance drivers. Putting will also take some getting used to, with you background I'd suggest a spin putt versus a push putt. That also shouldn't be a concern starting out, but the main thing that will frustrate you will be trees and elevation change. A condor would be a good first disc to help you understand the differences in these fine sports.

Thanks for the advice. Am I right in thinking that push putting is using a push pass motion (i.e. you hold the frisbee like a flick but don't put any spin on the disc)? Because I've got a killer push pass but it's always a bad idea to throw that in a game unless you're screwing around.

Any use for hammers or is it all forehand/backhand? My hammer is my only poo poo throw as it looks like a blade and then flattens out about 2 feet above the ground, making it tough to catch.

Also, are there any ultimate players lurking around in SAS? I'm trying to work on improving my set plays (mainly how do you get a bunch of new players to do an effective goal line offense/defense off a time out) and I'd love the chance to talk over my ideas with some other folks.

axeil fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 8, 2015

Evil_Penguin_v2
Apr 18, 2004
Ask me about my brother.

axeil posted:

Thanks for the advice. Am I right in thinking that push putting is using a push pass motion (i.e. you hold the frisbee like a flick but don't put any spin on the disc)? Because I've got a killer push pass but it's always a bad idea to throw that in a game unless you're screwing around.

Any use for hammers or is it all forehand/backhand? My hammer is my only poo poo throw as it looks like a blade and then flattens out about 2 feet above the ground, making it tough to catch.

Also, are there any ultimate players lurking around in SAS? I'm trying to work on improving my set plays (mainly how do you get a bunch of new players to do an effective goal line offense/defense off a time out) and I'd love the chance to talk over my ideas with some other folks.

Yeah that is the basis for push putting. Link below is a great video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_7RPOmSSsU

Hammers are known as thumbers or tomahawks in disc or just overhand... It is a very helpful and often underutilized.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
How good are Westside Discs, or are they just pretty?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What's the secret to throwing drivers? I started playing disc golf this year (I've probably played 10 rounds or so) and I just use my midrange for anything longer than a putt because I can't control the driver at all. I can throw the midrange pretty well but I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of distance.

I can't throw the driver straight for my life. It always banks hard left (I'm a righty).

RCarr fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 1, 2015

Evil_Penguin_v2
Apr 18, 2004
Ask me about my brother.

RCarr posted:

What's the secret to throwing drivers? I started playing disc golf this year (I've probably played 10 rounds or so) and I just use my midrange for anything longer than a putt because I can't control the driver at all. I can throw the midrange pretty well but I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of distance.

I can't throw the driver straight for my life. It always banks hard left (I'm a righty).

Simply put you haven't developed the needed speed the disc yet. Your best bet is youtube vids, lots of distance seminars. If I were to start over I would try my best to learn good habits before you get used to bad habits and they become hard to break. 2 best tips, you don't need the fastest disc to throw far. Form matters very very much.

Westside makes good plastic I used to throw the heck out of stags, and warships are quite amazing.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

T Bowl posted:

How good are Westside Discs, or are they just pretty?

Westside has really nice discs.

I like the Harp for an overstable midrange, I'm currently using a Boatman for forehand distance as well.

Also, RCarr, backhand form is like the hardest thing to learn and master, I'm still trying to myself. Its all about form and timing and has little to do with "throwing hard". I currently don't bag anything over a speed 10, and even that I only throw for forehands.

These two videos were recently posted and both have given me some really good insight.

Paul McBeth and Nate Sexton giving a clinic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0gzNIRxRbY

Will Schusterick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgHinjRIDQA

Will has pretty much the perfect body and form for disc golf.

Evil_Penguin_v2
Apr 18, 2004
Ask me about my brother.
Agreed on Wills' body type, but should probably put Simon Lizotte in the category too

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yeah, Simon was basically born into the sport though. I remember seeing a picture of him posted at 2 years old and he had like perfect looking form even then.

I just think if you were going to build a perfect disc golfer, it would probably be Will's body type, the long and lanky build. If he could putt at all he would be way more successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Penguin_v2
Apr 18, 2004
Ask me about my brother.

Combo posted:

Yeah, Simon was basically born into the sport though. I remember seeing a picture of him posted at 2 years old and he had like perfect looking form even then.

I just think if you were going to build a perfect disc golfer, it would probably be Will's body type, the long and lanky build. If he could putt at all he would be way more successful.

His putting lately is much better. I feel like the while point of his current form maximizes accuracy in the circle. Their duel to be the first to throw 100 mph isn't talked about enough. Simon got 99 last month...

• Locked thread