Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Habibi posted:

Has he? I'd never paid too much attention to him until about 2010, but it seemed like he spent several years being significantly more reckless. Last season or two, for instance, I feel like he's gotten a bit better about not being a dirty shitbag.

I remember him taking a bunch of runs at the Sedins after the lockout and generally taking about 10 steps to make a hit and miraculously getting away without a charging penalty each time. But yeah, he seemed to fully arrive in doucheville around 2010. Specifically that series against the Canucks where the King's entire game plan was 'take runs at star players, draw a third man in penalty, score on powerplay, rinse, repeat.' He was infuriating that series. Doughty too. I've hated them ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Yeah everyone sinks down and leaves him open on the pp. But as stated the rest of the power play is really good too.

He's good at getting into good space on 5v5 too. I don't know I just caught a few recent Caps games and almost forgot how good he is

To be honest I think I'd rather make the rest of the power play beat me than just leave Ovechkin open. and I know it's not just leaving him open exactly, but I still wonder if a team basically just stuck a person to cover Ovechkin exclusively and effectively turned it into a 4 on 3 power play with 2 extras on the ice taking up room how that would work out.

Also, I dislike Ovechkin because he plays for the Caps and after all those Caps/Rangers playoff matchups I'm just irritated. Also I live in DC and Joe Beninanti is loving terrible.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Levitate posted:

To be honest I think I'd rather make the rest of the power play beat me than just leave Ovechkin open. and I know it's not just leaving him open exactly, but I still wonder if a team basically just stuck a person to cover Ovechkin exclusively and effectively turned it into a 4 on 3 power play with 2 extras on the ice taking up room how that would work out.

Teams have tried that but Ovechkin adjusts by either standing right in front of the net to cause a massive screen or he goes out really wide to give Brouwer wide open shots from the slot. The real key is to get one dump-out because the Caps are really bad at entering the zone while on the PP for some reason.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Luceo posted:

So what you're saying is that McDavid shouldn't be allowed to be wasted on the Sabres or Oilers, like Ovie is wasted on the Caps? :v:

It's really lovely that McDavid and Eichel will more than likely both get wasted on garbage franchises. I sincerely hope they magically play well enough that Carolina, Arizona, and maybe even Columbus end up lower than them.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Mind_Taker posted:

Teams have tried that but Ovechkin adjusts by either standing right in front of the net to cause a massive screen or he goes out really wide to give Brouwer wide open shots from the slot. The real key is to get one dump-out because the Caps are really bad at entering the zone while on the PP for some reason.

If you go by this article Caps PP1 is pretty good at zone entries, especially MoJo, PP2 is not so good, Kuzya fucks it all up.

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2015/01/29/the-capitals-power-play-depends-on-controlled-zone-entry/

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Regarding OV - Justin Bourne did a good article about the Caps PP a while ago. Obsessing over Ovechkin kind of works but the rest of the PP just has a field day playing, essentially, 4 on 3.
http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/582667

Levitate posted:

Also I live in DC and Joe Beninanti is loving terrible.

He's loving terrible

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Jordie Benn put his beard on the line against Seguin for the super bowl.

Pour one out for the second best beard in hockey.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Levitate posted:

I was soooooo happy when Versus/NBCSN offloaded him, christ.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Craig Laughlin fuckin' sucks too.

HEY JOE B HOLD IT HERE, HOLD IT HERE. YOU CAN SEE TH PUCK CROSSES TH LINE, WHICH MEANS A GOALISSCORED

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yeah Laughlin sounds like someone doing a fake voice for comedic effect but turns out to just be more irritating than anything else. Whatever, i'm just mean

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

JawKnee posted:

let's hope February treats the nucks better than January did

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's really lovely that McDavid and Eichel will more than likely both get wasted on garbage franchises. I sincerely hope they magically play well enough that Carolina, Arizona, and maybe even Columbus end up lower than them.

I am confident enough in McDavid's abilities that he will raise the team he's drafted to significantly. Ugh, imagine a McDavid/Reinhart 1/2 punch in next year?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Vicas posted:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/290483971.html just gonna repost this for the new thread because I'm still laughing about it

this guy is dumb as hell but so is the all-star game. it's always been dumb as hell.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Gio posted:

this guy is dumb as hell but so is the all-star game. it's always been dumb as hell.

Sure but I'm not sure the solution is to chide the players for not putting grit and effort into a meaningless hockey game

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Agreed, Pittsburgh really shouldn't get Crosby, they're a step away from relocation

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

I just want to see if Edmonton really is lovely enough to be the exception to the rule.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Dale Ouise posted:

I just want to see if Edmonton really is lovely enough to be the exception to the rule.

They are

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Leafs Lunch is discussing how disastrous Cliff Fletcher's 8-month reign as GM was. Would you like to revisit?

June 20th, 2008: Traded 7th overall pick (along with a 2nd and 3rd round pick) to move up 5th in the draft. I believe the two picks around 7th woulda been Colin Wilson and Boedker, but the Leafs needed to move up to nab Schenn. A good move, only because he was used to get JVR.

July 1st, 2008: Jeff Finger 4/14, for some reason. Jeff Finger played 105 games with the Leafs, to go along with the 99 he played with the Avs. He also signed Niklas Hagman, who was used in the Phaneuf deal.

September 2nd, 2008: Traded Bryan McCabe and a 4th round pick for Mike Van Ryn. McCabe needed to leave the Leafs, but this was the equivalent to getting rid of a guy just to get rid of a guy, because Van Ryn came in for a spectacular 27 games as a Leaf.

November 24th, 2008: Traded Carlo Coliacovo and Alex Steen for Lee Stempniak. Burke was introduced as the GM on November 29th, so this was Fletcher's last move. My memory is that Burke was probably already the GM before that moment, and probably okayed this deal. But this deal has been disastrous. Steen is nowhere close to being a superstar, but he could have been a solid 2C in Toronto (well, 1C in Toronto). Responsible (and great) defensively, with the ability to put up ~20 goals and ~50 points.

The only good deal he made was getting Grabs for a 2nd round pick. And trading up in the draft is pretty much a wash, even if it was useless.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Dale Ouise posted:

Like giving a comatose man a sports car, it's nice, but they're still not going anywhere.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Rotten Cookies posted:

Like giving a comatose man a sports car, it's nice, but they're still not going anywhere.

Unless you put them on a hill and release the parking break.

So, basically Edmonton/Buffalo.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

You don't need to make driving analogies with Edmonton. Our GM has literally been involved in a fatal car wreck.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I missed Dustin Brown hate chat by an hour. Brown has always played a tough game, but not what I would call dirty. Not any dirtier than other tough players in the league, at least. It just didn't matter until about 2010 because the Kings sucked.

Aphrodite is completely right. SAS' hatred of Brown (and the extent of his alleged dirtyness) seemed to increase when the Kings were atop the league. Now this season, he and the team are struggling and suddenly he's "gotten a bit better."

To see just how awesome Dustin Brown actually is, you can watch him here being lauded by the leader of the free world.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 2, 2015

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I think I trust you talking about the Kings about as much as I trust Mook on the Ducks

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

Aphrodite is completely right. SAS' hatred of Brown (and the extent of his alleged dirtyness) seemed to increase when the Kings were atop the league. Now this season, he and the team are struggling and suddenly he's "gotten a bit better."

Don't you worry, we're all quite happy your boring rear end super team isn't having any success right now. Still, you're just a pennies-on-the-dollar deadline deal for a superstar away from your third cup. I figure there's been enough talk around Phaneuf for Richards that it'll end up happening and Dion will go back to scoring 20 goals a season in short order.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Noted non-garbage franchises Carolina, Arizona, and Columbus

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mr. Kite posted:

Brown has always played a tough game, but not what I would call dirty.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
It kinda sucks being a fan of a bad team in a season where the Sabres and Oilers have the top-2 picks all but locked down. ~10pts out of a playoff spot and ~10pts out of the McEichel sweepstakes is no-man's land. Hell, even the Coyotes are using Mike Smith to his fullest tanking potential

How the gently caress was that guy an Olympian last year

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
At least Brown is efficient when he does try to be dirty. An elbow and knee attempt in one.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Knew what that was going to be before the app loaded it.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

whatis posted:

Noted non-garbage franchises Carolina, Arizona, and Columbus

Ya I'd much rather watch McDavid or Eichel play on any of those teams than watch them fart around with a bunch of draft picks the Oilers ruined or Zemgus Girgensons.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

The Dirty Burger posted:

It kinda sucks being a fan of a bad team in a season where the Sabres and Oilers have the top-2 picks all but locked down. ~10pts out of a playoff spot and ~10pts out of the McEichel sweepstakes is no-man's land. Hell, even the Coyotes are using Mike Smith to his fullest tanking potential

How the gently caress was that guy an Olympian last year

lol, I didn't realize Smith had a spectacular SV% of .888%. He's gotta be having the worst post-second lockout season for a starting goaltender.

e: I looked it up. Other contenders for the crown

11-12: Roloson 40 GP 3.66/.886
10-11: Khabibulin 47 GP 3.40/.890
08-09: Toskala 53 GP 3.26/.891
08-09: Osgood 46 GP 3.09/.887

Relative to the rest of the league, I think Roloson is slightly worse than Smith (actually no, I double checked and it was Khabibulan who was the worst. Maybe because he played more games?)

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 2, 2015

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Twin Cinema posted:

lol, I didn't realize Smith had a spectacular SV% of .888%. He's gotta be having the worst post-second lockout season for a starting goaltender.

There have been several seasons where even backups with a min of 25 games haven't been that low

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Twin Cinema posted:

November 24th, 2008: Traded Carlo Coliacovo and Alex Steen for Lee Stempniak.

God this trade pissed me off. I didn't think Steen was the future of the franchise or anything but I liked him, he had some nice moves. But I see now that they had to trade him since Burkie was coming in and needed TRUCULENCE

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Mr. Kite posted:

At least Brown is efficient when he does try to be dirty. An elbow and knee attempt in one.

The knee's the insurance.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Vicas posted:

There have been several seasons where even backups with a min of 25 games haven't been that low

Typically, a guy who is putting up as lovely of numbers as he is will get replaced by someone else -- anyone else. Unless you are the 08-09 Maple Leafs who had even worse goaltenders in Joseph and Pogge, and then traded for Gerber to raise their draft position to 7th. They still got Kadri, but I believe they were bad enough to select in the 4th to 6th range (and probably woulda taken Brayden Schenn for narrative reasons).

triplexpac posted:

God this trade pissed me off. I didn't think Steen was the future of the franchise or anything but I liked him, he had some nice moves. But I see now that they had to trade him since Burkie was coming in and needed TRUCULENCE

Looking back, I don't even know why they made this deal. Stempniak was a decent young guy at the time (he had 27 goals the year before, and was coming off a year with a terrible S%), but I wonder if it was because Steen was off to a slow start, and wasn't hitting the expectations that all Leafs fans expected from him, Welly, and Stajan? I honestly can't remember. But it wasn't even good value for him, and he was still a cheap piece to have on a go-nowhere team.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

End of an era for Jordie. Hopefully this breaks his curse this season.

Edit: With video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3gI30hWUDQ

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 2, 2015

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Ya I'd much rather watch McDavid or Eichel play on any of those teams than watch them fart around with a bunch of draft picks the Oilers ruined or Zemgus Girgensons.

You'd rather see McDavid on loving Carolina or Arizona than Buffalo? You suck

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

A good post. I do believe in era-adjusted scoring and what he's done is pretty incredible. I would like to see some guys like Jagr, Pavel Bure, Teemu (and Bondra because homer), and other mid-late 90s peak players because that era was such a slog.

I do think if Leonsis is committed to Trotz, Ovie will get another few cracks at a Cup contender in DC. He's the most complete coach the Caps have had since at least Ron Wilson IMO. Depending on the salary cap and the decisions made with Green, Wardo, and Fehr, they should have some money to spend despite the money currently on fire in Brooks Orpik's bank account.

Levitate posted:

Hey gently caress you buddy, Joe B and Locker are the best/worst. They're bad homers but not over-the-top Jack Edwards homers. (Jack owns btw.) And they have a good rapport. I don't think Beninati was good in national broadcasts, he plays it too straight and I can see how his "SCCOOOOAAAARRRRRR" calls might be grating if you're not used to them.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Buffalo has the best announcer

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bregor posted:

Hey gently caress you buddy, Joe B and Locker are the best/worst. They're bad homers but not over-the-top Jack Edwards homers. (Jack owns btw.) And they have a good rapport. I don't think Beninati was good in national broadcasts, he plays it too straight and I can see how his "SCCOOOOAAAARRRRRR" calls might be grating if you're not used to them.

He may have changed but honestly what grated me most about him was that it seemed like he tried to make every goal call some big epic thing that was going to be on highlight reels for years to come. Like I wanted to remind him that not every goal call had to be an Al Michaels "Do you believe in miracles!" sort of call.

E: He does call lacrosse games well though, I'll give him that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Twin Cinema posted:

Looking back, I don't even know why they made this deal. Stempniak was a decent young guy at the time (he had 27 goals the year before, and was coming off a year with a terrible S%), but I wonder if it was because Steen was off to a slow start, and wasn't hitting the expectations that all Leafs fans expected from him, Welly, and Stajan? I honestly can't remember. But it wasn't even good value for him, and he was still a cheap piece to have on a go-nowhere team.

It wasn't THAT bad at the time. Stempniak put up a great season (was probably the best player) on a bad Blues team in 06-07, then had a mediocre season following, but was absolutely on fire early on in 08-09 (13 points in 14 games at the time of the trade). I'm guessing the Leafs thought he could put up 30-30 on a better team. Steen was looking like he had topped out as a decent 2-way 40 point guy and he'd been really bad so far that season so he seemed...expendable. Also in their defense it isn't all that common for a guy to improve dramatically at age 29.

• Locked thread