Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Here's the playoff chances today

Minnesota :haw:

pretty wild that the Eastern playoff race is so set in stone that even with ~32-35 games left, the best chance any team not currently in the playoffs has at making it is just 12%.

Not sure if that says the East has 8 really legit teams, a really bad bottom half, or both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

DJExile posted:

Imagine someone who's first live NHL game was one of those clownshow Flyers/Pens playoff games from a couple years ago

I didn't see it live, but this was around when I really started to follow the nhl as a whole just because that series was so ridiculous. I've watched most Isles games since like 06-07 but tuned out once the playoffs started where they obviously weren't involved.

I guess it helped that I was dating a Pens fan back then so she kept me watching their games, but those Pens/Flyers games were so amazing that they made me become a bigger fan of the game and now I watch every nationally televised hockey game that I can.

The moment in this game when the Flyers scored the fifth goal of the first period and three Pens laid on the ice with their heads down for a solid 10 seconds even inspired me to take my first hockey related picture ever (enjoy, FAS)

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

The last thing the Isles need is more forwards, but hey it'd be fun to see him there. Just go all out on the offense. Defense? Goaltending? Pah!

Trade for Kane, call up Ho-Sang and put them together and create the least respecty lineup all of canada has ever seen

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Kane didn't practice today but the coach said he was meeting with doctors. But then he went on to say that he wasn't sure he'd let Kane play even if the doctors cleared him.

Then there's stuff like this -

Paul Friesen ✔ @friesensunmedia
Follow
#NHLJets Wheeler on rules: “There’s a standard that everyone needs to live up to. If you don’t like it then there’s other places to go."
2:07 PM - 5 Feb 2015

yeah, he gone

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Kane's trade value going from "1st round pick, top 6 forward, + decent prospect"* to "3rd round pick" about as fast as humanly possible

*source: hf boards

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Spamtron7000 posted:

Winnipeg Jets ‏@NHLJets 5m5 minutes ago
Coach Maurice announces Kane missed today's practice because he was meeting with team doctors.

The plot thins.

you missed the followup to that, though

Аrpon Basu @ArponBasu
Follow
RT @saraorlesky: According to Maurice he has not made a decision on Kane's status even if the doctor says he can play
1:55 PM - 5 Feb 2015

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Franks Happy Place posted:

The idea of getting all salty about a pro athlete wearing a track suit to practice is so hilarious to me. Pro athletes are the only people on Earth who should be wearing track suits for gently caress's sakes.

apparently track suits are Kanes' thing and he's been pleasing teammates by doing it for years

quote:

Daren Millard ‏@darenmillard 5m5 minutes ago Markham, Ontario
Add to @reporterchris on @EKane9JETS. I'm told teammates in ATL tried to send a msg on track suit then by cutting sweats into short shorts.

short short sweats actually sound pretty fashionable to me

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Twin Cinema posted:

Note: I am not trying to create a trade proposal, ala HFBoards, so that we can all argue Kane's perceived worth right now. I am only wondering why no one would trade for Kane now.

I would assume it's more on winnipegs end and them not wanting to move Kane when he has his lowest possible value. Most people would think he's never playing another game for Winnipeg, but at the same time they could probably get a lot more for him closer to the draft when he can at least appear healthy and maybe work on his image or something during his time off.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Chad "the tanner glass of goalies" Johnson in net tonight at Boston while the bruins are expected to start rask even though they play the habs tomorrow

I hope the habs crush you guys after your free 5-1 win tonight :mad:

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

the mandela thing actually mattering to people and possibly effecting future roster moves owns

Can't wait until John Tavares says a cupcake looks like Jesus and gets traded to Edmonton

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

The Isles played decently against 4 of the worst teams in the league and had a 4 game win streak with Brian Strait in the lineup and Calvin de Haan at first injured and then healthy scratched. Brian Strait is a loving dreadful defenseman who has been the #7 D all year, but Jack Capuano considers him a good player and now leans upon him heavily and scratches De Haan/Visnovsky every night for Strait citing the 4 game win streak against bad teams as the reason.

Strait was by far the worst player on the ice last night against the Rangers as well. But Capuano benched Visnovsky tonight and actually elevated Strait's minutes to lead the entire team over actual good players like Johnny Boychuk and Nick Leddy. Here's how that goes:

quote:

garik16 @garik16
Follow
With Brian Strait out there at EV tonight, the Isles were outshot (attempts): 42-13. Without Strait, #Isles outshot the #Canes 44-33.
9:58 PM - 17 Feb 2015

Jack Capuano will get votes for coach of the year :stare:

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

THE MACHO MAN posted:

hahaha that's great. Watching guys like Capuano and Therrien cripple otherwise good teams with their lovely decisions owns

I mean I guess most coaches have their weak spots where they attach themselves to lovely veterans based off grit or experience or whatever intangible they feel like using but it usually doesn't equate to giving that lovely veteran the most ice time on the team which I have major issues with on top of capuano's other glaring problems that will seemingly never change as long as the isles keep winning in spite of him

quote:

at least cj finally played a decent game

yeah that part of tonight was cool at least. CJ has had 2 decent starts in a row. they'll have to use him a lot more often down the stretch so him not being the worst goalie east of bryzgalov is very important to the Isles staying on top of the metro

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

triple sulk posted:

oh god its happening

‏@NHLFlyers 1m
Breaking: The #Flyers have signed D Nick Schultz to a multi-year contract extension → http://bit.ly/1DrPBml

Deserving of AMac money imo - here's hoping he got his deserved payday

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Grabovski predictably placed on IR to now join Okposo and Cizikas, although Cizikas might not miss too many more games

Sucks but it seems like Tavares plays better the more people around him die, so this might actually be the boost he needs to get the Art Ross lead once and for all

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

and it's a steal

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 24s24 seconds ago
Leddy's deal is worth $38.5 million, $5.5 AAV. #Isles

e: who was that guy who always said Garth Snow was a good gm? was it a false?

Well this just made my day, leddy owns in both fancy stats and the eye test and to be locked up at a very fair rate for 7 years is great.

Rumors were that Garth was talking extension with both leddy and boychuk at the same time. as an rfa leddy was always going to be easier to keep but now hopefully this helps make boychuks decision to stay a little easier.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Chair In A Basket posted:

It's not that surprising, but jesus christ buffalo.

they're so bad that they actually throw off the scale of the graph for every other team in the league by a huge margin and make it much more difficult to read

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

speaking of hockey injuries, a recent picture of kyle okposo (detached retina) who figures to miss 30-40 games this year but be back shortly before the playoffs

strap some skates on that man!!!

Can't be any worse than Cory Conacher, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

John Tavares now has 64 points but technically "leads" the art ross race since he has more goals than any of the other 64 point dudes. It would be really cool and good if he could win it after coming back from a really bad knee injury that was still bothering him through the start of the season. Would have to put him in Hart contention as well, especially considering he's been playing with Josh Bailey and Anders Lee as his linemates for a while.

Speaking of things that aren't cool and also not good, the disallowed goal in the Isles/Flames game tonight where I've yet to find someone who actually agrees with the call. Check it out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLMKOjWZSSk

• Locked thread