Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Site | Sticher | iTunes | RSS

The Current Rankings List

A podcast for people who love "The Simpsons," by people who love "The Simpsons," about how much we hate "The Simpsons."

Everybody knows the Simpsons has sucked since Season [X], and most of us stopped watching it, right? But the universal truth that the Simpsons has sucked since Season [X] has done nothing to slow the franchise down, and once in a while we're curious as to what the new lows this seemingly never-ending animated series can sink to. That brings us to this podcast. Hosted by Dan Mulhall and Jack Picone, they attempt to watch post-90s episodes of the Simpsons and try to rank them in order of best to worst to determine the Worst Episode Ever.

The main attraction of the podcast is that while it might be easy to just declare every episode garbage and whine like nerds about how awesome the 90s were, Dan and Jack actually attempt to critically analyze each episode and find out what went wrong with it and even applaud it for elements that it succeeded at. They're both particularly good at narrowing down why a joke from the classic era about the same subject matter works and why a recent episode attempting similar material is falling flat. If at some point you loved what is dubbed "classic era Simpsons", you'll find something to love about these discussions and probably even remember why you loved watching the show before it tanked. And in the meantime, you can bask in two people trying to make sense of how something can go from being a critically acclaimed pop cultural milestone to becoming a largely irrelevant crapfest.

The show updates every Wednesday with a discussion of a new non-classic era Simpsons episode. The basic format features Dan and Jack providing some background on the episode they're going to feature, as well as any recollections from the hosts if they've actually watched it before. They take a break to go out and watch the episode, and the remainder of the podcast covers their discussion over their initial impressions right after watching the show. In the closing segments, the episode is ranked against previous episodes watched on the podcast to determine its place amongst the Worst Episodes Ever. While this normally ends the show, there have occasionally been a few bonus segments (such as dramatic readings of Dan's terrible old Simpsons fanfiction). Every episode is roughly an hour long, though the first is only 47 minutes and some of the more recent ones are closer to an hour and a half.

While some of the episodes featured have been chosen for their notoriety, such as Saddlesore Galactica, Lisa Goes Gaga, and Homer vs. Dignity, others have been chosen somewhat at random. The show takes reader suggestions to help navigate the sheer number of post Season 10 clunkers.

So where to start? Frankly, given the way discussions of the episodes become heavily reliant on judging an episode based on what's been watched before it, the best place to start is the first episode and just keep binging from there.

If you're in the US and have a cable provider with FXX access, you can watch episodes of the Simpsons at Simpsons World, which contains every episode ever. Useful if you want to watch along with the podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
This might actually be enough to get me to watch The Simpsons again. The last episode I watched before deciding to give up completely on it was "Stealing First Base" (which seemed like a rehash of the much better Jessica Lovejoy episode), and the last episode I watched before that was "The Italian Bob."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's still a little early in the run so I feel like the show hasn't really found its footing yet (I find that it takes new podcasters about six months to really get a handle on what they're doing), but they're off to a good start. Assuming they don't let themselves get bogged down, I expect this one to blossom into a pretty good show.

Well, we might as well get this topic out of the way: I noticed that the show was starting a downward slump in season 7 and at the time I thought, "Oh well, this is about the time when even great shows start running out of gas. They've done a great job and when it ends in a season or two it'll have been a great series." Season 9 was when there were more episodes I disliked than episodes I enjoyed. And I was stupid enough to keep watching through about season 13 before I finally went, "Why am I doing this to myself?!" and stopped tuning in. In fact, the Marge gets breast implants episode was the episode that made me go, "I'm never watching again."

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Large Marge was Season 14, you survived it longer than you realized.

I have trouble really pointing the finger at a specific episode and I largely watched the show in syndication while eating dinner on weeknights, so its not always easy for me to pinpoint the seasons I stopped watching at. I definitely remember feeling like it had run out of steam around the early 2000s when I started trying to watch new episodes regularly with my cousin, and in particular, I remember watching an episode where Flanders made a Super Bowl Halftime show and just feeling like I'd stared at the screen for 20 minutes and nothing had happened.

I did like the movie though, I'll be interested to see what they think about it when they get that far. I basically saw the movie, really liked it because it toned down some of the crap I didn't like and felt like someone put some actual effort into constructing a story. Then I pretty much refused to watch anymore after that because I didn't want to ruin having good memories about the Simpsons again. I ended up breaking that when Marcia Wallace passed away and I went and watched the first Nedna episode and found I liked it because it told a story with respect for its characters. But I didn't go back and keep watching after that and of course now that Mrs. Krabapple is officially dead within the universe as well, it's not like there's more to do with that plot thread.

Speaking of, I'm very interested to see this week's episode with the new Kang and Kodos episode.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It's been a very long time since I saw them, but are seasons 1 and 2 bad? I don't hear people include them in "classic Simpsons" seasons.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The last thing I enjoyed watching that heavily featured the Simpsons was the Mythbusters special. The fact that it was not actually the Simpsons helped a lot.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's been a very long time since I saw them, but are seasons 1 and 2 bad? I don't hear people include them in "classic Simpsons" seasons.

They're not "bad' per se, it's just that the show wasn't what we know the Simpsons to be today. Season 1 in particular is really loving rough looking and is kinda weird tonally at times. Season 2 is about when the show starts getting into it's groove, halfway through Season 2 on is smooth sailing.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Mraagvpeine posted:

Season 1 was good, but Season 2 was sublime. The Springfield Gorge episode, the one where Burns runs for office and has to eat the deformed nuclear fish, the one with Marge's hideous mr. Burns painting, Lisa's substitute teacher -- all from Season 2.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

They're not "bad' per se, it's just that the show wasn't what we know the Simpsons to be today. Season 1 in particular is really loving rough looking and is kinda weird tonally at times. Season 2 is about when the show starts getting into it's groove, halfway through Season 2 on is smooth sailing.

Yeah, season one was really an outgrowth of the family sitcoms of the 1980's and the writers hadn't figured out what they could do with the series yet. They also had real issues with animation quality control which isn't that much of a surprise since it was the first time that anyone had done an animation project like that since the 1960's. At the start of season two you can see the tone change as they pull into more out there plots and the writing starts to get honed to that razor edge but there's still episodes that were in the family sitcom mold.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The first two seasons aren't bad, but they're uneven and mostly look terrible in hindsight. I personally think it's pretty easy to pinpoint the exact moment when the show becomes bad, which is when Phil Hartman dies. Season 9-10 are when when things start to get pretty shaky, but there are still plenty of great episodes and none that I think are outright bad - if it had continued at this pace it would still have been worth watching. Season 11, which is the first post-Hartman season, is almost completely insufferable, and the first time I can recall outright loving hating some episodes like Saddlesore Galactica.

It just got worse and worse from thereon, but I kept watching sporadically 'till about season 17 and stopped when I saw The Regina Monologues, which in my mind is the absolute worst episode of the series since it's just 20 minutes of completely forced celebrity wank. I get kind of pissed just thinking about it. I saw the film and the few episodes that people could somewhat universally agree were at least pretty good, like the future ones, but it's clear that the show never fully recovered and is just going through the motions without a strong creative voice.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 3, 2015

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I'm loving this even though I've only seen a few of the episodes in question. Large Marge sounds the worst, what with bringing back fan favorite Stampy for a terrible episode and the credits playing to "Who Let Her Jugs Out?" by the Baha Men, although I did see the Batman segment in syndication and thought it was okay.

They've said that they plan on covering the Family Guy crossover at some point despite it not being a Simpsons episode.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Peg me in as another person who considers Season 11 to be a real nosedive in terms of quality, but with the caveat that I also consider seasons 12 and (to a lesser extent) 13 to be an overall improvement on 11. At the very least I seem to recall the quality to be a bit more consistent on the whole, with better highlights (12 in particular having several episodes that stand out to me as ones I remember quite enjoying) and the lowpoints generally not quite reaching the trifecta of poo poo that was Saddlesore Galactica, Kill the Alligator and Run, and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge. Now to be fair, I haven't actually watched either season in their entirety in years, so there's a good chance I may very well be talking out of my rear end. :v:

That being said, 14 is definitely my personal tipping point where the quality for me goes from "waning/dropping" to "straight off a loving cliff."

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 3, 2015

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Hakkesshu posted:

I personally think it's pretty easy to pinpoint the exact moment when the show becomes bad, which is when Phil Hartman dies.

I would have said "the moment they started using HD," but if I recall correctly I cut the show way more slack than most of my peers.

I generally compare The Simpsons to a family dog -- 10-12 solid years together, then it starts getting arthritic so it can't play as much, then you have to start carrying it up and down stairs, then it starts peeing on the floor, then it becomes a zombified husk that your parents refuse to euthanize. Basically, from this

to this

to this

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The turning point for me in the series will always be the episode where Homer bowls a perfect game. There were plenty of enjoyable episodes that came after it, but it just seems that it was the episode where they started to play loose with "cartoon physics" and the character's actions no longer necessarily had to have any repercussions, something at that point was mainly reserved for the Halloween specials.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Well after two days of binge listening I've finally caught up. Now we play the waiting game...

What struck me the most about how stagnant the Simpsons has gotten was learning that I had actually seen most of these episodes but couldn't remember them until the podcast got in depth. I remembered the Jockey Elves and the one with Panda Rape but that was because of those two incredible absurd and awful moments, I struggled to recall the rest of those episodes. While I'm not very good with titles I can still remember plots from episodes that aired before I was born, and random jokes that were just a few seconds long in others, like Lisa using VR goggles to meet Genghis Kahn.

There aren't a lot of post s11 episodes I can say the same for. So not only has the shown gotten pretty bad, it's also lost its ability to leave an impact, which I guess is a good thing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Speaking of Panda Rape, that episode is based on a movie and I didn't even know it until I watched the film a couple of weeks ago. The Magic Christian is a pretty obscure movie about an rear end in a top hat billionaire who gets his kicks by making people degrade themselves for money. It's a really weird film that's constructed of bizarre vignettes that aren't really coherent, much like a Simpsons episode from the past ten years :v:, which make it feel like they created it specifically for YouTube clips only forty years too early. The best(?) thing about the movie is that it was the first leading role for a young man by the name of Ringo Starr and he's paired with Peter Sellers.

There is less panda rape in The Magic Christian, though.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I actually remembered the jockey elves as being pretty funny. :shobon: In my defense, I was 12 when that episode aired.

Panda Rape was horrible though.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

I remember watching a bunch of the episode commentaries for the classic series, and while they were full of info, there was a really obnoxious trend for the writers and production staff to start trying to retcon the better written stories. For one example, in A Streetcar Named Marge, in the scene where Homer is talking about how much the end of the musical meant to him and how he felt he needed to be a better husband to Marge because of it, Al Jean is just sitting there going "Of course he doesn't mean that, Homer is too stupid to grasp anything that meaningful!"

It just made me furious to hear them try to justify their currently terrible writing by trying to gaslight people who bought the DVDs into thinking that the degradation of Homer into this utter parody of a character was just how he always was.

I think that's what gets me the most about the quality of the Simpsons - the writers get really defensive over any and all criticism of their work. I'd actually be less annoyed if they just never addressed it at all.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Rebochan posted:

I remember watching a bunch of the episode commentaries for the classic series, and while they were full of info, there was a really obnoxious trend for the writers and production staff to start trying to retcon the better written stories. For one example, in A Streetcar Named Marge, in the scene where Homer is talking about how much the end of the musical meant to him and how he felt he needed to be a better husband to Marge because of it, Al Jean is just sitting there going "Of course he doesn't mean that, Homer is too stupid to grasp anything that meaningful!"

It just made me furious to hear them try to justify their currently terrible writing by trying to gaslight people who bought the DVDs into thinking that the degradation of Homer into this utter parody of a character was just how he always was.

I think that's what gets me the most about the quality of the Simpsons - the writers get really defensive over any and all criticism of their work. I'd actually be less annoyed if they just never addressed it at all.

Yeah the heart and innocence seem to get trampled to make "edgy" or over the top jokes. I hate to sound lame and say they just don't get the heart of the Simpsons, but I find a lot of the newer episodes to just be basic comedy cartoons in the vein of all the other cartoon shows for adults these days. There's a sense of reality in the classic era, more surrounding the family and the interaction with the town more than the situations. I honestly don't care how many wacky jobs they give Homer as long as he's a lovable oaf who isn't just the worst human the writer could think up that week. I don't need sappy emotional Blowfish episodes every time, but I do want to feel like I like Homer and he's not a South Park adult or Peter Griffin or an Adult Swim parody of a lovely father from the 50's. The show as it stands doesn't stand out that much from other animated shows and that's more the change that I've perceived.

Then again I haven't watched all of the seasons so who knows, maybe I'm wrong about the majority of the episodes that I haven't seen over the past 10 years. But I've been watching a lot more listening to this podcast, beyond what they've covered, and haven't been that impressed with them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

YeahTubaMike posted:

I actually remembered the jockey elves as being pretty funny. :shobon: In my defense, I was 12 when that episode aired.

Panda Rape was horrible though.

One reason I like the WEE guys a lot is they never try to make their poo poo some objective thing. I actually kinda like the jockey episode, I don't love it, it's far from a favorite, but if it comes on TV I'll watch it, and they never tried to frame it as 'and if you like this you're wrong and stupid' even though for so long it was their absolute low mark. It's just a couple nerds whining about cartoons.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
I watched longer than I should have, basically as an obligation show, until that 90's show. That episode made me angry, probably more than I should have been, and at that point I said I was done. Since then I do not go out and watch simpsons episodes. If I get FXX, I would look up the older episodes, I think they were some of the best satire and humor of the 90's

Rebochan posted:

I'm wondering if it is some form of insecurity at this point.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rebochan posted:

I remember being annoyed at the "Worst. Episode. Ever." speech in Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie.

No, Simpsons writers, I owe you jack poo poo for the hours of entertainment you've provided me. That bill has already been paid in my eyeballs on the screen leading to advertising and merchandise revenue. If you make a bad episode then I as a viewer am completely justified in calling you out on it and your argument is barely one step above "Well, I don't see you doing better" in complete irrelevance.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not entirely sure exactly when and where I drifted out of watching The Simpsons. If I had to guess, I'd say it was the first episode written by and starring Ricky Gervais; while the episode on its own wasn't very funny, it was compounded by Sky One (and anyone who lives in the UK will know what I'm talking about) running the most obnoxious advertising campaign imaginable in the week leading up to its broadcast on Sunday evening.

Then, when it was first run, it started with a message from Ricky Gervais reminding the audience that Channel 4 was not two years behind Sky One in broadcasting new episodes of The Simpsons; Channel 4 was four years behind Sky One in broadcasting new episodes of The Simpsons (or something to that effect).

Maybe it's because I'm not really much of a Ricky Gervais fan? I don't know.

Anyway, I've only listened to the first couple of episodes, but this podcast ought to be something interesting to fill up downtime at work, and I'm looking forward to future instalments.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm enjoying this podcast so far, on episode 6. I do get FXX so this gives me a reason to watch newer episodes of the simpsons that I never would, and I can't really see the podcast being all that good if you haven't seen the episode they are talking about.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The Man Who Came To Be Dinner's episode is up.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

I expected them to hate this a great deal more than they did.

As a side note, the Dalek talk show would make for an awesome podcast.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I'm only a few episodes in, but I'm absolutely shocked with how easy they are on What to Expect When Bart's Expecting. I thought that episode was absolutely abominable.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I have The Man Who Came To Be Dinner ep ready to go and just haven't had the time to check out the actual Simps episode. I'm kind of amazed they even made the episode. It sounds like a fan fiction episode someone would have posted on a geocities site 15 years ago.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just saw the Lady Gaga one. I don't understand what I just watched. It's like the episode was written by someone with only the dimmest sense of who she was.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

From what I'm hearing in the podcast so far (up to the manatee episode), I can't see how Large Marge won't be at the bottom of the list when it comes up (I haven't looked at the current list so as to not get "spoiled" about where things will be ranked).

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

This podcast and the frequent plugging of Simpson's World reminded me of a book with a similar title I checked out of the Library a year ago. Planet Simpson or to give it, its full and slightly pompous title Planet Simpson: How a Cartoon Masterpiece Documented an Era and Defined a Generation. Its a 400 plus page doorstop about the Simpsons in the late 80's and 90's. Its author was an obsessive Simpsons nut from the beginning meaning the book is crammed with information about the show, and not just verbatim quotes of funny jokes. It details Matt Groening's background as a zine cartoonist, the early struggles with Fox, the early fan community from Simpson's group viewings to the early internet fan sites, and the commercial phenomenon from bootleg shirts to the sweatshops in Thailand.

It also examines how the show tied into and drove the 90's which is very interesting, though some of the author's ideas while well researched seem a little forced. But the main reason to recommend the book in my opinion is how well the Author knows the Simpson family. Every member of the family gets their own chapter detailing the complexities and evolution, it made rethink my childhood opinions on Marge and Lisa, and is basically a big screw you to the new writers retconning of the characters into simple parodies of themselves.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The Lady Gaga episode was so bizarre. The podcast was pretty spot on in that it was barely an episode. The structure was wonky and the plot itself was messy and just barely there. And the writer of the episode has written some legitimately good episodes. I know everything someone writes can't be great, but the Gaga episode almost seems like an experiment in writing a Simpsons episode totally differently.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

poorlifedecision posted:

I have The Man Who Came To Be Dinner ep ready to go and just haven't had the time to check out the actual Simps episode. I'm kind of amazed they even made the episode. It sounds like a fan fiction episode someone would have posted on a geocities site 15 years ago.

The Man Who Came to Be Dinner is actually pretty good if you can get over the premise. I'd go so far as to say that it handled sci-fi themed comedy better than a lot of latter day Futurama.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Irish Joe posted:

The Man Who Came to Be Dinner is actually pretty good if you can get over the premise. I'd go so far as to say that it handled sci-fi themed comedy better than a lot of latter day Futurama.

I have heard that the scifi jokes are pretty classic Futurama, so I'm at least interested to see that. I think it brings up the question of what makes a "bad" episode. You can have a well-structured episode with a strong plot with poor jokes or characterization, and is that a bad episode? People seem to have different things that they bump on. Some people are more forgiving of a nonsense episode or plot if the jokes and characters are on point, some people see a thematic change in the world or a character and have it ruin the episode for them. It's why there's no real objective way to have a full ranking since people are going to have bigger issues with different aspects. It's probably better that they just sort of "go with their guts" when ranking instead of trying to score every episode or something.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rebochan posted:

It goes back to the mid-90s as well. When the AVClub did Simpsons classic reviews, one commenter would re-post old reviews from snpp.com (one of the earlier Simpsons fansites), and each one is lambasted. And I'm talking classic season 3,4,5 episodes are roasted and said to be over the hill. So every time they see people rip apart new episodes they think that, eventually, everyone will start loving them after X years have passed.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

GoutPatrol posted:

It goes back to the mid-90s as well. When the AVClub did Simpsons classic reviews, one commenter would re-post old reviews from snpp.com (one of the earlier Simpsons fansites), and each one is lambasted. And I'm talking classic season 3,4,5 episodes are roasted and said to be over the hill. So every time they see people rip apart new episodes they think that, eventually, everyone will start loving them after X years have passed.

Haha, I actually remember this. Finding one or two bad reviews of a classic episode is easy, which makes this a handy deflecting tactic. I'm sure if I googled for five minutes, I bet I can find people who think "Two Cathedrals" is a horrible West Wing episode and that "The Contest" was the worst thing ever produced by Seinfeld. If you're going downhill, it's always easy to look back and find a way to say that people always hated episodes when they were released and that people will come around later.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

GoutPatrol posted:

I remember reading some of those snpp.com reviews many years ago and being in awe of how nitpicky they could get. And of course the Simpsons writers were making fun of their obsessive fans as far back as Season 8 and I'm pretty sure the "Worst Episode Ever" thing originated from the fandom seriously declaring that on a regular basis and the writers adopting it.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

"Only Homer Simpson could go to China", to paraphrase an old Vulcan proverb. I remember really not liking this one when I first saw it, so I was a little surprised to hear praise for its first act which I barely remembered. I was a little shocked to hear this first aired in 2005 it seems I keep getting surprised by how long the show has been in a rut. I think this episode is a great example of one of the shows greatest problems in recent years, assuming the audience are idiots who need even basic jokes explained to them.

The porcupine joke was okay, I didn't care for the year of the porcupine line but what really killed the joke was the follow up "which is never". I mean the Chinese Zodiac is probably one of the few bits of Chinese culture guaranteed to be well known by most non Chinese people so why bother explaining the joke? I kept watching the show for awhile because they still had a few funny moments mixed in with the lazy plots but after a while they started explaining and hammering even the little jokes killing even these small moments.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

I feel ancient now... I remember when this one aired, though I didn't watch it, I just remember being surprised that Selma had a kid. It's been ten years... gah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I'm going to have to start passing this one by if they continue with the episode creep. First podcast was 45 minutes, most recent one is an hour and 17 minutes.

I feel like it is only going to get worse though as they keep adding more episodes that they have to compare to as the worst. Unless it is at one extreme or the other, there is a lot of humming and hawing over where it should go. It's at that point I unusually stop giving a poo poo and just move on to something else.

• Locked thread