Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Groofic is the only charming or decent voice. I hope they don't overexpose him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Welp, we have a new champion.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I tried to listen but that drat shouting was too much. I got to about min 10. I used the slider to try and skip the shrieking but the slider wasn't working, so I never heard it. :(

Even at 80 min (gently caress me!) I would try to listen if they could only cut out the shouting...

That's it for me. I can't listen anymore. I'm out. :(

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I just plain didn't think the episode was that bad. I mean, it was bad, but definitely not the worst they've watched. Ehh.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Take a shot anytime someone says "ageist"

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

This was the best episode (49) of the podcast in a long while. Very little shrieking! Oh, and Christ, that episode sounds ABYSMAL.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

This weeks CAT was certainly something.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I got a minute and twenty seconds in and the did the DiCaprio voice. I turned it off.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

If it's any consolation, that's pretty much the only instance of that sort of thing this episode as far I can recall. (Granted, I'm probably one of the few here that actually generally likes the voices. The Tracey Ullman era impressions and Groophic in particular never failing to get a laugh out of me.)

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 25, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I like most of the voices, even the over-done ones. But the DiCaprio voice just instantly makes me quit the episode. I suppose I'll give it another try.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Watched the new season premiere since they'll be doing it on this week's podcast and...Jesus, what the gently caress was that?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I really enjoy this podcast, and I like all the silly voices, even the Dalek and DiCaprio ones. Maybe I'm just weird. The little ghost girl is my favorite. :shobon:

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Brocktoon posted:

Watched the new season premiere since they'll be doing it on this week's podcast and...Jesus, what the gently caress was that?

It was garbage.

I'd at least give the episode credit for coming to an end, but it didn't really. It just ran down the clock until the next show scheduled to air started.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

As bad as the episode was, I would have respected the episode a lot more had it only done the double dream fake out in order to psyche out the viewer, ended on the bittersweet moment with Homer and Lisa, and then committed to the separation plot for at least a couple of episodes. Say what you will about the rest of the episode before it being your typical modern Simpsons schlock, but I did genuinely like that particular sequence and what they initially seemed to be going for with it in regards to mixing up the status quo for a bit. But the third "Wait, it actually was a dream, except this time it was Marge's." scene happened, which both cheapened the stuff immediately preceding it, and revealed the pre-season buildup to the whole separation plot as the hollow, cynical means of drawing people back into the show that it was (much like last season's premiere coincidentally). Not that I'm in any way surprised given the current state of the show, but still.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Note to the hosts: As annoying as it is to hear BOMBARDMENT in the episode it's just as bad if not worse to hear you both bitch about it over and over and over and

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

Tracula posted:

Note to the hosts: As annoying as it is to hear BOMBARDMENT in the episode it's just as bad if not worse to hear you both bitch about it over and over and over and

I think it's all in the packaging. Bombardment would have been their favorite joke if the Simpsons had just been funny enough to do it in a Dalek voice, or DEHHH AS LEONARDO DICAPRIO DEEHHHHHH! You know, like the classic era.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Kinda wish they were going through the new season. It's been a real rollercoaster of quality so far.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I thought the latest few episodes have been a significant leap in quality for them, still lots of side conversations but in general less painful impressions and a bit more focus

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I found myself literally gritting my teeth when they do any voices on the latest episode. Please just shut the gently caress up.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

At least they've realized how much everyone hates their voices. Now their voice bits are self-referential jokes about how bad their voice bits are. It's a marginal improvement.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Prop Wash posted:

At least they've realized how much everyone hates their voices. Now their voice bits are self-referential jokes about how bad their voice bits are. It's a marginal improvement.

The same way "ironic racism" is so much more acceptable than the plain vanilla kind. Yes, I compared those horrible voices to racism. Frankly, I think I've been too kind to them. :colbert:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
My biggest issue is the voices don't add anything. For example it's always hilarious when the guys on We Hate Movies do retarded voices like the lovely Eastwood impressions during The Dead Pool. I like the classic Homer talking about butts and frosty chocolate milkshakes since it's actually relevant. If they wanna do that dalek voice then do a loving Doctor Who podcast.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I actually fast forward when they do Sideshow Mel now.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This show is a mess, is anyone still listening to it? It's mostly just strange opinion about some aspect of the world, HEMIS, some Simpsons discussion.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I listened to the last couple of episodes and hated it, but in doing that I discovered Four Finger Discount.

It's two Aussie guys (one of whom was an admin at the Simpsons Best Moments facebook page :rip:), reviewing each episode in order, starting from season 1 episode 1. They're almost finished season 2 (last week was Old Money, when Grampa inherits money from Bea, his girlfriend of two weeks) and it's turning out to be a pretty great weekly listen. The guys are funny and engaging, clearly enjoy talking about the Simpsons and have surprisingly good production values as well. The early episodes are a little rough as always, but listen to the latest couple and see what you think.

For me the best part about it is that they're pretty good at distinguishing between "this is our review of the episode" and "here's where we answer fan mail and shoot the poo poo about what's been happening in the past week".

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

cheerfullydrab posted:

This show is a mess, is anyone still listening to it?

The last one I listened to started with like 3 minutes of talking about their sponsor, followed by 20 minutes of talking about inside jokes from high school. :psyduck:

I'm tentatively hanging in there though.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
The show is built upon its own memes and thinking it's funnier than it actually is. If nobody besides the hosts listened to it I think they would keep it up. And in case they read this thread no that's not a compliment. I just feel at this point they're stroking their own egos while making at best a mediocre podcast they can shill out now to get that sweet, sweet sponsor money.

But that's just me and DURRRRRNHUUUURRR DECAPROOOO HURRR I'M FUNNY.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Have they gazed into the abyss so long that they are starting to become the abyss or however that quote goes?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

It's too bad because "watch a new episode of the simpsons, talk about how bad it is" seems like such a good/easy idea for a podcast. And it seemed to work well, in the beginning.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

It's too bad because "watch a new episode of the simpsons, talk about how bad it is" seems like such a good/easy idea for a podcast. And it seemed to work well, in the beginning.

Yes, there's plenty of material to repeat, riff on and rank but.... I quit the podcast ages ago and it sounds like they haven't addressed any of the issues I found disagreeable, so I won't check it out (unless this thread says they've really sorted it out).

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Maybe their new podcast will give them an outlet for all of their, ... wackiness, ... and WEE will benefit.

webmeister posted:

I listened to the last couple of episodes and hated it, but in doing that I discovered Four Finger Discount.

Definitely listen to this, though.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I thought the Christmas ep they did was pretty good. I think the guests tamp down some of the voices and tangents because there's someone sitting there looking on confusedly. I imagine it's harder to do a 15 minute bit of ghost girl heading to the bus stop when a third party is watching you and not laughing.

I actually find the episodes where they hit on a decent Simpson's episode interesting, because it makes me want to seek out that new episode.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I'm still listening, but with 9+ hours of podcast listening time every day between my job and my commute it's not like I have the strictest standards. Their in-jokes can wear a little thin sometimes but I kind of like their rapport as two dudes who grew up together, and the off-topic stuff can be just fine as well; the anecdote about him writing a story as a kid and naming the villain Pete Poole because he was a metaphor for people still cracks me up sometimes.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Four Finger Discount just posted their third interview with a Simpsons employee! This time it's storyboard director Matt Schofield which is pretty cool. They've already interviewed Maggie Roswell (Ms Hoover etc), along with production coordinator Nikki Isordia :stare:

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Sleeveless posted:

9+ hours of podcast listening time every day between my job and my commute

You can do better than WEE, really you can. Check out Regular Features

http://blog.regularfeatur.es/

Four guys banter, tell stories etc. Very British but worth a try. I started a thread in RGD which is due to be archived, that lists some of the best episodes. Tip: avoid the live episodes. Another tip: avoid WEE.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Four Finger Discount is very tightly produced but the double-act isn't as strong and they let through some "ironic" race jokes I'd rather not have to sit through.

Also as an NYC dweller WEE feels very at-home for me and they are focusing this year on a more sleek, focused show.

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty

DoctorWhat posted:

Four Finger Discount is very tightly produced but the double-act isn't as strong

Danbo and Mitch have only known each other about a yeah though, so it's no wonder it's much thinner compared to Dan and Jack who have years of backstories and in-jokes between them.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Devol_Tettran posted:

Danbo and Mitch have only known each other about a yeah though, so it's no wonder it's much thinner compared to Dan and Jack who have years of backstories and in-jokes between them.

Yeah I'd grokked that from what I'd listened to.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Sleeveless posted:

I'm still listening, but with 9+ hours of podcast listening time every day between my job and my commute it's not like I have the strictest standards. Their in-jokes can wear a little thin sometimes but I kind of like their rapport as two dudes who grew up together, and the off-topic stuff can be just fine as well; the anecdote about him writing a story as a kid and naming the villain Pete Poole because he was a metaphor for people still cracks me up sometimes.

This. Say what you will about the voices and other tangents (I have a much higher tolerance for them than a lot of people here but can absolutely understand how they would grate on people), but what keeps me coming back each week is their very genuine and infectious rapport with each other that I find super enjoyable regardless, compared to, say The Simpsons Show, which I find a bit too dry for my liking

webmeister posted:

Four Finger Discount just posted their third interview with a Simpsons employee! This time it's storyboard director Matt Schofield which is pretty cool. They've already interviewed Maggie Roswell (Ms Hoover etc), along with production coordinator Nikki Isordia :stare:

In a similar vein you should also check out Everything's Coming Up Podcast if you haven't already. In addition to their regular episodes where they discuss with members of the television/comedy industry about a Simpsons episode of their choosing, they have a handful of episodes doing the same with members of The Simpsons staff, including Josh Weinstein, Mike Scully, Dana Gould, Bill Oakley, and Tim Long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

webmeister posted:

It's two Aussie guys (one of whom was an admin at the Simpsons Best Moments facebook page :rip:), reviewing each episode in order, starting from season 1 episode 1.

See, I've been listening to a different show doing this, Talking Simpsons, so if you like that concept but don't want do deal with some funky fellas, maybe try them out.

• Locked thread