Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Well after two days of binge listening I've finally caught up. Now we play the waiting game...

What struck me the most about how stagnant the Simpsons has gotten was learning that I had actually seen most of these episodes but couldn't remember them until the podcast got in depth. I remembered the Jockey Elves and the one with Panda surprise sex but that was because of those two incredible absurd and awful moments, I struggled to recall the rest of those episodes. While I'm not very good with titles I can still remember plots from episodes that aired before I was born, and random jokes that were just a few seconds long in others, like Lisa using VR goggles to meet Genghis Kahn.

There aren't a lot of post s11 episodes I can say the same for. So not only has the shown gotten pretty bad, it's also lost its ability to leave an impact, which I guess is a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

This podcast and the frequent plugging of Simpson's World reminded me of a book with a similar title I checked out of the Library a year ago. Planet Simpson or to give it, its full and slightly pompous title Planet Simpson: How a Cartoon Masterpiece Documented an Era and Defined a Generation. Its a 400 plus page doorstop about the Simpsons in the late 80's and 90's. Its author was an obsessive Simpsons nut from the beginning meaning the book is crammed with information about the show, and not just verbatim quotes of funny jokes. It details Matt Groening's background as a zine cartoonist, the early struggles with Fox, the early fan community from Simpson's group viewings to the early internet fan sites, and the commercial phenomenon from bootleg shirts to the sweatshops in Thailand.

It also examines how the show tied into and drove the 90's which is very interesting, though some of the author's ideas while well researched seem a little forced. But the main reason to recommend the book in my opinion is how well the Author knows the Simpson family. Every member of the family gets their own chapter detailing the complexities and evolution, it made rethink my childhood opinions on Marge and Lisa, and is basically a big screw you to the new writers retconning of the characters into simple parodies of themselves.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

"Only Homer Simpson could go to China", to paraphrase an old Vulcan proverb. I remember really not liking this one when I first saw it, so I was a little surprised to hear praise for its first act which I barely remembered. I was a little shocked to hear this first aired in 2005 it seems I keep getting surprised by how long the show has been in a rut. I think this episode is a great example of one of the shows greatest problems in recent years, assuming the audience are idiots who need even basic jokes explained to them.

The porcupine joke was okay, I didn't care for the year of the porcupine line but what really killed the joke was the follow up "which is never". I mean the Chinese Zodiac is probably one of the few bits of Chinese culture guaranteed to be well known by most non Chinese people so why bother explaining the joke? I kept watching the show for awhile because they still had a few funny moments mixed in with the lazy plots but after a while they started explaining and hammering even the little jokes killing even these small moments.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I don't mind the ranking for now but its clear that as the podcast goes on its only going to get more cumbersome and take up more space. If they're going to keep it then like Rebochan says they'll need to trim it down, maybe just saying which episode its better then and which episode its below and keep the main ranking system on there site for those really curious. It's already at the stage that they're struggling to remember what goes where.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I remember my Aussie relatives loving the episode when it aired down under, it was also really popular in Britain since Australia has long been regarded as a land of English rednecks. Seeing the Prime Minister floating in a billabong drinking a beer was one of my favourite Simpsons moments. If they'd made that episode later, it would be busy kissing Tony Abott's arse who'd make a guest appearance ala jet pack Tony Blair.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Rebochan posted:

I'm with the group just wondering how much longer the show is going to limp along with half of the cast falling silent. None of these guys are young anymore, they're either going to retire or die off. I just don't see recasting all those voices as working out for too long.

I think it'll depend on whether its a trickle or a flood. If they just have to replace a few characters or recast a few voices for the actual SImpsons and ease the change in then the show might continue to limp on. But if more big names join Shearer then it might be the final straw. Its not like they have much to sustain them beside the talents of the cast.

In other news I'm glad I stuck with the podcast, some of their gimmicks were really starting to grate on me and the length creep with little to fill it was also a problem. So its refreshing to see Jack & Dan acknowledge problems and shake things up a bit. Episode delays? Let's change the schedule, ratings getting bloated? Let's trim it down and change the formula, comedy voices not working out? Groophic!

Also it just occurred to me how refreshing it is to listen to a podcast that despite a layer of pessimism woven into the premise still manages to be occasionally upbeat and fun. No screeching over the top antics here. (Until the Dalek voice rolls out anyway).

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Listening to the latest episode, my main thought is, if you criticise a show for putting paedophilia incest jokes in the episode maybe you shouldn't do a routine about paedophiles and incest in your podcast.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

moleman posted:

Hah, your post got a shout out in this week's episode. Hey guys!

At first I thought `nah couldn't be` but yeah its almost verbatim.

Rebochan posted:

Yea, just heard that and laughed. The thread is now famous!

Kind of surprised this week's episode didn't top the list. I think they might need to re look at their scoring system given how much they got into the emotional level of the story.

I submitted a Cut all This bit to them. Warning: it was probably only funny to me. I was also one of the many people who suggested Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass.

Did you do it under the name Rebochan?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

This weeks CAT was certainly something.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

beep by grandpa posted:

Why is this podcast bad? Is it just their recent stuff? I've only cherry picked a few specific episodes I was curious to hear feedback on

It's d in that annoying way that you'll have to give it a listen to see if its for you or not. It's not new thought the rot started early and grew worse, the main complaint is that they spent more and more time each episode doing weird comedy skits, strange stories that don't go anywhere and impressions, a lot of impressions and almost none of them are about Simpsons characters, and they take up a third to a half of a podcast if not more. Some of their voices and odd asides were kinda funny in small doses but its just ballooned out of control.

Its a real shame because they seem like quite laid back and friendly guys, and they interact with their fans really well. When they weren't being so obnoxious about their dumb voice characters it was a really entertaining hour.

I used to listen every week but now I've given up entirely and have only kept this thread bookmarked for the other podcast requests. Thanks to whoever recommended We Hate Movies by the way.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

They still have a fanbase so you might find that you actually like there annoying gimmicks. God help you

To go back to what Tracula's saying I think this very thread is good evidence of this at work. At the start we're all positive (well apart from the usual griping about their rankings not tallying with ours) then the negatives start cropping up and the activity starts drying up. Then its a desert with the occasional "they're still at it post", and now this were most posts are about completely different podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Huh, not that I doubt you or anything(I've seen that sort of thing before) but could you give some examples because I listened to around that many too (mostly as background) I don't recall anything overtly dickish about them. They seem pretty okay if a little self absorbed. You've actually got me interested in this thing again.

• Locked thread