Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Just catching up on RAW on my PVR and it appears Roman Reigns is carrying on the long proud tradition of dumb babyfaces. They could have won me over instantly if he kept doing that sour milk face and said "what are you stupid or something? I'll keep my guaranteed trip to Wrestlemania thank you".

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Yeah, tonight he actually came off like Shield Roman Reigns throughout the entire show instead of Samoan Cena. Stuff like that goes a long way.

That's a bad thing. He needs to be his own character. Shield Roman Reigns was by far the worst talker and weakest link in the Shield and it's doing him no favors to constantly hang on to that nostalgia.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

BGrifter posted:

Just catching up on RAW on my PVR and it appears Roman Reigns is carrying on the long proud tradition of dumb babyfaces. They could have won me over instantly if he kept doing that sour milk face and said "what are you stupid or something? I'll keep my guaranteed trip to Wrestlemania thank you".

thassa heel move

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

The Bee posted:

Sloppy, maybe, but holy gently caress look at that velocity.

He certainly put his all into loving up the easiest move in wrestling.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Under the vegetable posted:

He's not being booked well though, imo. He's just having his weaknesses covered slightly more effectively. A lot of people immediately turned around with last week's RAW's interviews and they were just as bad as a Roman promo has always been. I don't get it. I don't know, though, apparently that sloppy spear/headbutt really impressed everybody.

bryan's over with the headbutt and roman is just trying to learn

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

That's a bad thing. He needs to be his own character. Shield Roman Reigns was by far the worst talker and weakest link in the Shield and it's doing him no favors to constantly hang on to that nostalgia.

Well I mean more in the sense of "straight to the point badass "which really was his character before Jack and the Beanstalk happened.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Cena stealing Kofi's old gimmick. For shame.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Cena stealing KofiRVD's old gimmick. For shame.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
It's better, I guess, but the shield music, entrance, and outfit really takes me out of it. I'm terrible at liking things or wanting things, though, in my ideal world Roman would gain 40+ pounds, loosen up, wear aviators, and be a fat killer.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Raw was pretty good, seems like they figured out what works with Roman which is good, also holy poo poo HHH owns.

It's better, I guess, but the shield music, entrance, and outfit really takes me out of it. I'm terrible at liking things or wanting things, though, in my ideal world Roman would gain 40+ pounds, loosen up, wear aviators, and be a fat killer.

You're a swell guy and I respect your right to have opinions but holy gently caress what a bad opinion.

(Agreed on the music, not everything else.)

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Ragnarok the Red posted:

When the show ended with Bryan making the declaration he'll beat Reigns at Fastlane and main event Mania there was a brief but audible set of boos before the ing resumed.

The match and the crowd reactions should be fun as hell.

Never thought I'd be excited for friggin Fast Lane :raise:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh and gently caress DENVER FOREVER. THAT CROWD SUCKED rear end.

That is all.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I don't know, Shield Roman was really good. When the Shield was first a thing, so many people on places like this were pissed they linked a green WWE developmental rando with Moxley and Black. He won everyone over real fast because his signature spots were good and as dorky as "silent asskicker" (lol) sounds, he was great at it.

Is anyone else worried that Dean Ambrose has like no moves that anyone recognizes?

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

SamuraiFoochs posted:

holy gently caress what a bad opinion.

I know it's a bad opinion. Roman as a giant Samoa Joe would make me mark endlessly though. I'm the worst.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I'm hoping they're just waiting for Mania to debut some new gear or something for Reigns. The tactical gear just doesn't make sense anymore. If he has to wear a shirt of some sort, then fine, figure it out - but it's time to drop some of the Shield aspects and put him out there as his own dude.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Oh and gently caress DENVER FOREVER. THAT CROWD SUCKED rear end.

That is all.

what was bad about the crowd they were hot? They briefly died in the middle but are we willing blaming a crowd for running out of steam after an hour and a half of talking?

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
His new gear: Tactical jorts and a "BELIEVE THAT" towel/armband set.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
The entrance and tactical gear would make sense if he feuded with enemies he had to protect himself from at all times/couldn't be backstage around

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
There was actually a lot to like on that Raw. Ryback is getting an oddly solid reception considering they haven't been using him too much and that's cool with me. Wyatt and Ziggler had a good match and Wyatt cut an intriguing promo and I want the Undertaker to get involved in this. I want Stardust to be unleashed as some kind of maniacal force on the WWE Universe. I want Mizdow to destroy The Miz. I want Rusev to make sure the flag always comes down from now on.

The Bryan/Reigns dynamic is at least interesting. Even though the storyline justification was kinda silly and made uber-face Bryan complicit in The Authority screwing an undeserving Roman Reigns over from a legitimate victory...gently caress it, the match should still be a lot of fun, and it was smart to go this route and directly confront Roman's mixed reaction rather than dance around it. I'm willing to admit my bias in that I probably won't be sold on Reigns by Mania, like he had a cool spear and a passable promo but I'm really not personally invested in him. If he's doing that as opposed to godawful Looney Tunes promos, does he get credit for basically showing up?

Tonight did give the vibe we're not getting a Batista-esque full on revolt and I fully expect Reigns to win at Fast Lane (though Lesnar's probably getting cheered at Mania).

edit: two other things. It's cool that Ambrose is actually doing something and IC title is fine at the moment. And Cesaro won a match!!

The Landstander fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 3, 2015

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Never thought I'd be excited for friggin Fast Lane :raise:

I'm just glad Vince/HHH/someone else in creative realized "Holy gently caress we just hit a million subs and the PPV for the free month we're giving currently has tag team main event and the potential to be worse than Battleground. Let's put some actual matches that have consequence on here to get people hyped for Wrestlemania!"

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Fat Lowtax posted:

Is anyone else worried that Dean Ambrose has like no moves that anyone recognizes?

Most crowds pop for the rope rebound clothesline.

TheOneTrueKing
Apr 3, 2010
I dunno. I feel like the Shield look fit Reigns more than anyone else in the group anyway. And it's not like this is the first time this has happened. Besides, the more grievous mistakes being made on the show as far as entrances go is Dean's awful music, Cesaro's self-admittedly awful music, and the fact that Luke Harper, for some stupid rear end reason, is still using Bray's firefly minitron backgrounds.

Roman's look is fine.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Roman Reigns' vest is like D'Lo's chest protector. What type of face blatantly cheats by wearing protective gear? Why won't you take off your vest, Roman? Why do you try to subtly get it back on as quickly as possible whenever people take it off in your matches? Scott Steiner knows the answer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-dZGsd2rAY

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

oatgan posted:

what was bad about the crowd they were hot? They briefly died in the middle but are we willing blaming a crowd for running out of steam after an hour and a half of talking?

I'm mad that they justified Vince's delusions by having a split reaction tbh

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

are they truly delusions at that point then

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

TheOneTrueKing posted:

I dunno. I feel like the Shield look fit Reigns more than anyone else in the group anyway. And it's not like this is the first time this has happened. Besides, the more grievous mistakes being made on the show as far as entrances go is Dean's awful music, Cesaro's self-admittedly awful music, and the fact that Luke Harper, for some stupid rear end reason, is still using Bray's firefly minitron backgrounds.

Roman's look is fine.

I'm not saying his look is bad, it just doesn't make sense anymore. He's not zooming in and out of buildings secretly like he was in The Shield. He's a dude on his own now and they should change at least SOMETHING in order to reflect that.

Dean and Seth made changes without breaking the mold on a wrestling costume. No reason they can't do the same for Roman.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I don't care how much they rehab Roman in the next few weeks, if he beats Bryan at Fast Lane the boo's are back.

How do they avoid that or do they just not care?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i like that there's a split reaction, they seem to be making sure that Bryan/Reigns isn't going to be a heatless face/face match- I'm still sure they're going with Reigns and if Reigns comes out as the winner of a super-hot match over Bryan, i think he gets pretty much fully cheered from then on

unless he starts doing bugs bunny promos again, obviously

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Malt posted:

I don't care how much they rehab Roman in the next few weeks, if he beats Bryan at Fast Lane the boo's are back.

How do they avoid that or do they just not care?

the latter

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Rusev and Lana are amazingly great heels. Masterclass in wrestling promo improv right there tonight.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

if roman keeps doing those he'll be like 5'4 and they'll stop pushing him
So everyone wins?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

oatgan posted:

I think the crowd mics were also messed up tonight

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Rusev and Lana are amazingly great heels. Masterclass in wrestling promo improv right there tonight.

Seriously I loved this, they didn't miss a beat and immediately responded in perfect character. By the time Rusev was BRUTALLY SWINGING the new flag the crowd had even stopped laughing at the botch and went back to booing.

achillesforever6 posted:

I think the crowd mics were also messed up tonight

I don't want to sound truther-y but there was a weird point after Bryan won his match when he was looking towards the audience behind the announcers - they were all visually doing the YES thing, but there was basically no audible crowd reaction. It was really strange.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

oatgan posted:

are they truly delusions at that point then

Considering how much they've burned money by (with varying degrees of success), burying budding stars at the expense of lesser returns, yes. I LIKE Roman, but I want him booed out of the building constantly.

TheOneTrueKing
Apr 3, 2010

Phenix Rising posted:

I'm not saying his look is bad, it just doesn't make sense anymore. He's not zooming in and out of buildings secretly like he was in The Shield. He's a dude on his own now and they should change at least SOMETHING in order to reflect that.

Dean and Seth made changes without breaking the mold on a wrestling costume. No reason they can't do the same for Roman.

I dunno. It suits him, I think. I find it hard to imagine him in the NXT/FCW tights now because his current character, entering through the crowd and all, just makes him feel unique. Sure, he's got his Shield stuff, but the other Shield guys don't anymore. Seth became a marvel super villain and Dean, I'm pretty sure, isn't even actually a wrestler, he just shows up in his civs and beats people up. Roman looks and feels like the shield guy still though, and I think it's good for him.

Seriously, you want to talk about stupid things that don't make sense, I beg of you. Re-examine Luke Harper's stupid rear end entrance. How hard is it to change his fireflys into creepy eyes.

WAKE UP INTERNET. MAKE FUN OF YOUR IMPERFECT INTERNET DARLING.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Rusev intimidated the truck monkeys into making a snazzy video package for him. Rusev is the best.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Considering how much they've burned money by (with varying degrees of success), burying budding stars at the expense of lesser returns, yes. I LIKE Roman, but I want him booed out of the building constantly.

Daniel Bryan isn't a budding star, he is slightly younger than John Cena, and is just coming off a major injury. I freaking love him but he isn't the future of the WWE.

(unless you were arguing for Ambrose, who I'd absolutely go for, but he seems to be heading toward that Mick Foley 1999 slot on the roster, which isn't awful, but still)

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

I love the idea of insane Stardust and I look forward to see where he goes with it once they break up Dust Bros

C'mon classic Bret/Owen booking, have them tag together at Fastlane, Stardust have a tantrum when Goldust loses and then awesome blowoff match at WM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneTrueKing
Apr 3, 2010

Alain Post posted:

Daniel Bryan isn't a budding star, he is slightly younger than John Cena, and is just coming off a major injury. I freaking love him but he isn't the future of the WWE.

(unless you were arguing for Ambrose, who I'd absolutely go for, but he seems to be heading toward that Mick Foley 1999 slot on the roster, which isn't awful, but still)

They're gonna build Dean in a good way I think. He'll do it the way everyone wanted Roman to do it. Through the midcard, use the IC title, and launch toward the main event.

• Locked thread