Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Overview
Revenant is a hack & slash, isometric RPG from 1999, published by Eidos Interactive and developed by Cinematix Studios, a developer who only made one other game, Total Mayhem, released in 1996. Compared to other games from back then, Revenant went pretty much unnoticed and it is admittedly a mixed bag of goodies. But it does have some good stuff.

Our protagonist is Locke D’Averam, a revenant who didn’t ask to be rescued from the local equivalent of hell, Anserak, and leaves no chance unused to express his discontent – about everything and everyone. Compelled by the spell used to summon him, he is send across various regions to, I’m not kidding, rescue the daughter of the local warlord, while slowly recovering the knowledge of his previous existence.

The combat system can best be described as an isometric kind of Morrowind combined with a brawler, deriving damage and such from your stats, but also relying on successfully landing hits and avoiding them manually. Melee combat consists of various weapons as well as hand-to-hand combat, and revolves around three main attacks that build into 9 combo’s, with almost every enemy having a special death animation if you can pull off its finishing move. The game features almost 50 different spells derived from various combinations of 12 talismans, and also includes several different types of arrow for some…admittedly very tacky bow-combat.

All dialogue is voiced and it’s great in its cheesiness, but the further you get, the less dialogue the game features. What the game could’ve done without is some of the drawn out dungeon crawling which gets progressively worse later in the game. Let’s see whether I still have the patience to traverse that.

How’s this going to happen then?
This is my first LP so it’ll be a technical and narrative learning curve for me and any feedback is appreciated. As far as the game goes, I’ve played it once before and although it was a long time ago, this is mostly not a blind playthrough. To familiarize myself with the game, I might once in a while play through a section, and then record the same section later on with commentary so I can get a bearing in certain dungeon sections and avoid boring you with my bumbling about in search for progress or an exit.

How did you get the game/music working?
I talk a bit about that in the first few minutes of part one. However, contrary to appearance, I didn't get the music to work. You can get the game to play one track whenever you load a fresh game, but after one track it stops. Not only that, but the volume sliders do nothing and the original settings have the music so loud some conversations get buried. Instead I used the music from the CD, adjusted their volume, and looped them under the proper footage.

Anything else?
Yes, in fact. The game is in no way as detailed with its story and world building as something like Baldur’s Gate, but there are a few books stashed away that I’ll offer outside of the gameplay videos.

Finally, to go with the theme of cheesy voice acting and to augment the small amounts of lore, I thought I’d give it a shot and present some new, ‘uncovered’ (that is, invented) bits of background story, relating the actions of our protagonist and their possible consequences, from other perspectives. Whether this is a good or bad idea is yet to be seen.

Episodes

Bonus

All conversations and cutscenes
Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4

Fleve fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

SystemLogoff posted:

This looks fun, though I am hoping the game is not going the obvious route with the story.

I hope the bonus videos keep the same tone. I laughed.
"He stole an apple..." :v:

Thanks! The idea for that began when I thought I'd make up fake lore images as though they were actual historical finds. Then I thought, heck, text kinda sucks without the right intonation and I might as well learn how to do more in avisynth than just trim videos. What ended up becoming that video (after, admittedly, a silly number of retakes) started out as this:

I've got a few more ideas lined up for more additional stuff, one already recorded but I still need to cut up the footage to go along with it.

Leavemywife posted:

Edit: Also, holy poo poo, you sound like Patrick Stewart.

Haha, thanks. I've had people tell me before I sound like X or Y, but whenever I listen to myself, recording or not, I'm just not hearing it. It's weird.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I'm actually half-Dutch, half-German, but I'm cool with adding Scandinavian to the weird conglomerate of my voice. Anyway, the second part is done. I still need to cut up parts for the bonus, because...well, I ended up making something else first.

My first recording was done without a pop filter, which was noticeable. This second recording was done with an improvised sock on the microphone, which still wasn't good enough. I ended up making a DIY pop filter and wanted to give it a try with some pop sounds and at that point I...uh… I kinda went full-autism and ended up going for a quick and dirty a cappella piece of a Revenant track which fit neatly under a time-lapse I wanted to do anyway. So yeah, there's that. Pop filter seems to work, too.

Getting me a decent microphone has been like giving a puppy a whole box of toys at once.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Yeah I first thought it might be boring to go through two videos of conversations, but heck, the conversations are the best part of the game and most of them have great rear end in a top hat options. Later on, perhaps from when we enter the caves, I'm probably going to have to use a lot more cutting to keep things interesting. Still, even then there's a whole bunch of small conversation pieces that are worth it.

Also, finished the bonus piece. Now that I no longer have to spend a day figuring out what blood sacrifices I have to make to the avisynth gods to get .jpg's working properly that went a lot faster.

Edit: Also, some notes.
- That bonus should be the last recording from the era before pop filters.
- I think I have to grumble and rumble less.
- On the same note, just airing silence isn't a bad option either sometimes I guess.
- Finally, I'll try to keep the loot-searches to a minimum; watching my own recordings, following the frantic mouse-movements in search for loot makes me feel like a cat hunting a laser pointer.

Edit: poo poo I keep forgetting things. I promised the books. So here's those that don't spoil what I myself want to talk about.

The Cataclysm (ie., 'this world is hosed')

Military Intelligence on the Children of the Change Cult (ie. 'we're hosed')

The Church (ie. 'the gods are loving with us')

The Trade Syndicates

The Warrior Clans

Fleve fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 5, 2015

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Nuramor posted:

I dug out my old boxed copy of this game, and the manual says you can indeed see you skills in the various Weapons etc. When you're on the character screen, at the top you have "Stats/Skills" with 'Stats' in green. Click on 'Skills' and you switch over to the skill screen.

Holy poo poo, you're right! I completely forgot about that. It helps a lot for when I switch around some weapons or want to check how much hand to hand combat I have. There's also the invoke skill which governs whether you gently caress up all your spells or not.

I really wish my manuals and boxes hadn't gone lost during a move; used to have a sweet almost book-size Baldur's Gate II manual as well. Heck, I actually read the whole thing back then. I can't imagine anyone would read a whole manual nowadays.

anilEhilated posted:

The little bonus videos are amazing. Kleptomaniac vortex indeed.

Thanks! I find it really difficult to judge my own stuff. I usually start out with being all giddy from finding a new idea and wanting to work it out, and then I always end up listening to myself and every joke so often that everything falls flat and doubt creeps in. It's like a very short bipolar cycle.

As long as I keep getting ideas, I'll keep creating more bonuses. I got two pieces written out already, just need the footage and perhaps come up with another voice to act it out with.

Lord Windy posted:

This game looks really good. I can't wait to see what happens when we get out of the town.

New recording is done and so far it contains lot of grinding. Also, running around. Also, forgetting to save for a while and then running into a mob of enemies or a glitch. So I've got a whole bunch of cutting and editing in front of me.

The grinding wasn't all that necessary and is more a personal decision. It'll make future videos easier to create and watch because getting a few levels and a new weapon significantly improves killing speed.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Next part is done. 2 hours of raw footage condensed into one half hour episode and a 2½ minute training montage. It's sortof a bonus, sortof a continuation of the episode because it summarizes the whole levelling part.

Edit: Heck I'm going to call it Bonus 3 or else it'll confuse me.

More edit! I forget stuff easily! Seeing as how we've murdered a whole bunch of new enemies and used some spells, I feel like these book are more appropriate now.

Predatory Creatures of Ahkuilon

Magic

Fleve fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 7, 2015

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

The Arsehead posted:

You singing that a capella song in the item shop in episode 2 was fantastic.

Thanks! While editing episode 2 I just kept on hearing the same song over and over again, so when it came to testing my pop filter, there really wasn't anything else left in my head :downs:

Zushio posted:

This game looks pretty cool. I remember seeing a tonne of promotional material for it in PC Gamer back in the day, but strangely don't recall ever seeing a review or any actual coverage. Please continue to choose the rear end in a top hat option where reasonable, the voice acting in the game cracks me up.

Hah, I read that same PC Gamer article I think, it was very colourful and it's why I ended up buying the game. Revenant was one of the few games I actually bought at full price back then. I think I played it on a 16mb Diamond graphics card. Reminds me of the ancient word for the alternative option in those days, the virusy magic referred to as 'warez', more commonly a circular trap without reward.

Metacritic seems to be too lazy to add the old reviews, but GameRankings shows a whole bunch that I've never seen before; the GameSpot review is surprisingly good. It's fun reading how they all thought Revenant looked amazing.

And the Avery Bullock comparisons humble me. I was afraid my intonation could sometimes be interpreted as sounding bored, I'll happily go for soothing though.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Nuramor posted:

If my memory doesn't fail me the fire spell would have been very effective against those spiders. Magic in general can be very useful in this game and I hope you'll show off more of it.

Definitely. I gave it a try but I didn't include the footage. My invoke skill was so pitiful that, until I started grinding nourish, every spell failed miserably. I'll probably do some more of that off-screen so I can start using magic properly.

When I first played the game, part of the magic was to find out new combinations on your own, the experimentation was pretty fun. I still wish the game gave you more than 4 quickbar slots for spells, but, and perhaps that's just rose tinted glasses, I kinda look back fondly on the times I desperately wanted to cast a spell that wasn't on the quickbar, pull up the magic screen, feverishly enter the combination, and then land a successful cast that saves the moment.

Of course that needs to be contrasted with the times I pull up the magic screen, mux up the combination, see some hopeless spell fizzle or summon a banana, and get slaughtered by ninjas.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

And part 4 is done. It's a pretty full episode and I've thrown in a tiny bit of songcraft somewhere near the end. The real bonus I'll have to collect/cut from current and previous footage, which should be done tomorrow.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Locke doesn't so much murder townspeople as that he refuses to take poo poo from Ahkuilon. There's hardly a person on that island who isn't a fool. The dancer dances in an empty tavern, the warlord thinks a single person will kill armies, the local medic is stoned, and the only person capable of travelling across the seas (on a bloody island!) is a drunk with a raft.

Also, bonus part 4 is done!

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Wow, this game looks like a ton of fun, Fleve! I wish I had found it myself back when it was new, I'd have probably eaten it up.

This is definitely the good part. The next episode is still going to be interesting from the game-content alone (new enemies, probably some fatalities, fun boss fight) but after that I’m going to have to sharpen my scissors or creativity.

But, to be honest, back in 1999 this first part of the game was really pretty drat amazing, and the later parts, while grindy, were still decent enough. I mean, I guess it was sort of par for the course back then, it's not as if Diablo 1 had such a terrific end-game either. Goddamn corridors and succubi.

anilEhilated posted:

Also, love the accents. Almost as cheesy as the game's voice acting.

Thanks! They're a lot easier to pull off than to convincingly act with a different voice/tone; even the B-movie acting in Revenant is probably deceptively difficult. Some of my attempted recordings were.... unimaginably horrible.

Perhaps I'll throw a bunch of them together and add some bloopers if i get enough fun ones.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Lokapala posted:

Was Harowen voiced by Jennifer Hale? :stare:

Huh, well gently caress me, that's a good catch.

The Voice Over wiki and IMDb have some pretty detailed info, and yep, it shows Jennifer Hale voices both Harowen as well as Andria, the woman we had promised to sacrifice to some dark gods in the intro video but then decided not to; breaking that deal kinda landed us in hell.

And, for those who played Alpha Protocol, Alan Parker, the old intelligence analyst, is apparently voiced by Cam Clarke, the same voice as Gus who was our drunk sailing champion.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Sloober posted:

To be completely fair the whole BG2 manual was like 90% tables, spell names/descriptions, class descriptions with the rest being mostly just extra lore. I still have mine tucked away in a chest somewhere.

True, but I liked reading those spells and it was something I could do when I went to bed and wasn't supposed to be playing games :)

It also made the spells all the more epic once I got to actually cast them. Mage battles were probably the coolest thing in the game, with various orbs or shields to protect, spell sequencers to initiate, and other spells to pierce or dispel defenses.

But to get back to Revenant, part 5 is online. It's a fun little episode with a whole bunch of varied stuff happening. I'm also getting into a decent workflow by now and placing more cuts goes a lot faster.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Spudd posted:

Hnghh you missed a gold pile to pick up and now it's really gotten under my skin. I wonder why I'm like that.

Also this game owns, such a shame I didn't get to experience it when I was younger.

Haha, yeah I noticed that as well when I was cutting my recording. I thought, oh I guess I just wanted to first show...huh, well perhaps after I killed...damnit! Pick it up already!

So far the game has lived up to my nostalgic expectations, and thrown in a few conversations more than I remembered. Keep in mind though that there's a bunch of grinding cut out from the episodes. Murdering creatures in the forest is still a lot of fun because of the combat system, but too much of it just doesn't make for good video content I feel.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Just a quick bonus-update where I try and fail to sell some items.

It's not the usual voice-over kind of thing. There are only so many actions in the game you can make fun of (bothering people, looting, killing), and I didn't want to already retread old ground but just with different footage and another idea/voice; it'd get predictable.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I think the game fucks up death-sounds whenever you kill an enemy with a damage-over-time spell like fire flash. Then it seems to think that for every additional tick below 0 health it has to start another loop of death.

Episode 6 is online! The caves are remarkably less boring than I remember, but then again, this isn't yet the part of the caves called "The Maze of Darkness". Also, I can't help but notice that even in this section they've gone to some trouble to keep things varied, in both enemy encounters and art.

I've got an idea I've been wanting to try and I hope it works, but I need to familiarize myself with some avisynth effects, find out whether I can do a particular voice, and I also need more...well, boring footage to be honest. I'll roll it into the next episode if everything works out; it ought to fit better in the episode than as a bonus.

Edit: Oh before I forget, here are the two letters. They relate the story of a previously failed expedition into the caves.

Letter One

Letter Two

Fleve fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 12, 2015

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Thanks guys. I must say, I didn't expect this much interest with the game, or me, and you've been a great audience. According to analytics, you've been watching me ramble on about an ancient game for 16,834 minutes, or roughly 280 hours, and that just boggles my mind.

I also didn't expect it to be this time demanding, but I like doing it. My freelance work doesn't require a lot of hours lately so I should be able to keep the pace. There's something about LP'ing that makes it a lot more fun than if I just play the game. Probably because it forces a slower kind of play, but also because it let's me work out silly ideas like a montage or a cappella piece, stuff that would normally just remain an idea and a chuckle. Had I replayed the game normally, I'd have probably finished it last week, but not nearly as satisfying.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

:toot:

Episode 7 is done. The material I'd usually throw into a bonus fit in neatly with the episode - it starts from about the 15th minute. I feel a bit silly spending way too much time making that, but it was fun to do so what the heck. Perhaps I should start posting the little snippets I always write on YouTube as well.

Being stuck in caves too long, and addicted to potions, Locke ponders the meaning of his existence while eradicating that of others.

Edit: Oh, and here are the letters.

Letter Three

Letter Four

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Darn, I wish I had that map earlier. It wasn't just narrative licence that made me write I was stuck in that maze for about half an hour. I really didn't remember the exit being somewhere in the middle, that's not the first place you expect an exit to be.

Usually I'd be posting an update by now or tonight, but I've been felled by a nasty stomach bug that makes me want to fill up my calendar with "curl up and groan a lot". Still, I hope to get back into production in a day or two.

On the plus side, I've now caught up with multiple SSLP's. I thought SSLP's were a kind of weird genre, reducing a game to nothing but text and images, but depending on the game they work surprisingly well.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Nuramor posted:

Yeah, that maze can trip you up pretty bad. If you're interested, I have maps for all the areas, since many of them can be confusing to navigate.

That would be really helpful. Since I've switched to hardware rendering (which looks way better for spells), the already tiny mini-map has bugged out completely. Having the viewer look at a mini-map every so often wasn't much of a cinematographic adventure anyway so I'm kinda glad to be rid of it, but it certainly doesn't help my sense of direction.

If it's not too much of a bother, you can send them to feldrintalks [at] gmail [dot] com.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Took me a few days, but I'm back in business. And thanks to a bunch of incredibly useful maps from Nuramor, getting through the mazes has suddenly become a lot easier.

Now then, onwards to part 8. With few caverns left to explore, Locke is almost nearing the end of his spelunking career. But will he make it against new enemies, cutscenes, nigh insurmountable odds?

Yeah well of course he'll make it, otherwise I'll just reload. But where's the narrative tension in that.

Letter Five

Letter Six

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Good question, and I'm not sure but I think it's boss-only. There are few enemies that routinely lead to my death, the most prominent of them being the ninjas, and they slice & dice without a finisher; any other non-boss that's killed me so far didn't lead to anything cool.

It's insane though how much detail and work they put into animating everything. Not only are there plenty of finishing moves against enemies, a lot of enemies have entirely unique movement and combat animations, and most of them also have a special move, like the belly-stab of the skeletons, the head-throw of the Ogrocks, or the grappling bite from zombies.

One of the five animators who worked on the game, Michael Smith, has a small combat animations compilation video up on youtube, including a few moves that I think I've never even seen in the game.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Ah, drat, that's because I misunderstood the guide I was reading on stats. It wrote that the manual says agility influenced to-hit-chance on hand-to-hand and ranged, but I thought that meant fist-fights, not weapon-grade combat.

But, now that we've got enough buff-spells, we've got good testing material so let's see what does what.

------------------
The Speed-spell adds 4 agility, and my ATK goes up from 151 to 156. (+1.25 per point)
The Charm-spell adds 5 luck, and my ATK goes up from 151 to 156. (+1 per point)
The Dexterity-spell adds 2 reflexes, and my DEF goes up from 140 to 145. (+2.5 per point)

Gaining a point in weapon skill, my ATK went from 151 to 152. (+1 per point)

On a level-up, my ATK went from 152 to 162. (+10 per level)
And on a level-up, adding 2 agility, that instead went from 152 to 167. (+10 per level, +2.5 per point)
------------------

I'm guessing that's a bug in the speed-spell and agility should give 2.5 ATK points, with every level-up giving 4 times as much. I think I wanted to have 30 STR/CON by the end to be able to wear everything, but that's far away and I only need 6 more points in CON, so yeah, a few points in agility should do nicely.

A level-up and 2 agi (167 ATK) should put me squarely in line with the druids (168), perhaps a few more after that should do the trick I think, although one enemy I encountered just now went all the way up to 192. I think some enemies are just supposed to be difficult because of high defence until you gain a few levels. I'd only be able to get to 192 right now if I had maxed out agility, but then I wouldn't be able to wear everything I currently got.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Yeah I just noticed that when I tested the level-up from 14 to 15 and one plus-sign disappeared. So I've got 17 more stat-points left to distribute until max level. I'm thinking 11 of those into agility, and 6 to constitution, for an end-result of 30 STR/CON, 25 AGI, 16 mind, and 14 reflexes/luck.

I'm starting to doubt my memory now though. If there isn't any armor that goes all the way up to requiring 30 CON then I'm better off putting those points into agility or mind.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Well, I'm already sitting at 30STR/24CON so that ship has partially sailed, but thanks for pointing out that I no longer have to put points into CON at all. Of my remaining 17 points, I'll then probably put 11 into agility for 25 agility, perhaps one more into CON, and then dump the other 5-6 into mind.

So this was just in time and apart from 5 points in STR not much is lost. Even then, those points should theoretically mean I'll deal more damage unbuffed. I'd have probably put any more free points in mind anyway, which is only marginally useful because mana is much more limited by (buying and using) potions than by your maximum bar.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Well, now we have a rock-solid reason to kill the wizard even if he wasn't Obviously Evil.
Also, I realize it's generic fantasy tune #238, but I really liked the music in that cutscene.

Someone on youtube has 19 tracks online from the Revenant soundtrack, I think he repeats a few though. #12 and #19 are neat, they're extended versions of the music played during the intro and mid-game cutscene we've seen last time.

Ronny Moorings and Patrick Collins did a great job with the music I think. Moorings, from more of a goth-genre, seems to have also done music for the other Cinematix Studios game Total Mayhem, and Collins did a ton of music work for Westwood/Disney/EA games back in the 1990's. Yeah it might be generic, but they've got a bit of a recurring theme going on in Revenant and most tracks fit well with the areas they play in. A few of the menacing tracks are less enjoyable, but I'll tune those down a bit.

Nuramor posted:

Aren't you kinda drowning in money right now? Just top up on potions and all is right again. Potion addiction is a myth. :2bong:

Holy poo poo, yes I am. I just checked and I'm sitting on 200,000 doubloons. I'm terribly greedy though and good mid-range potions go for about 1000-2000 a pop at this point so.... :shobon:

Nah I'll start using them more liberally. There's really no point to gold otherwise, because the game drowns you in armor as well. Chucking mana makes flinging spells around a lot easier and the game more fun. One session I've already got recorded has a bit of complaining about potions, but I do start to carpet bomb areas with fireballs as well now. The ep should be online later today, just need to do a quality-check.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Forests, check. Caves, check. Time to spread the joy that is Locke around Misthaven once more, do some shopping, talk to a random stranger in the woods, and top things off with some nice murdering.

Talking about murdering, I'm unsure how much random gameplay/combat I should feature. I mean, there's a bunch of stuff I want to show anyway about each area, like the art and feel of the area itself, new enemies, perhaps new spells, new moves, new mechanics. Obvious grinding and backtracking I always cut out, but I also cut out pieces where I simply don't have anything to say. That kinda means that the better I get at randomly chatting about poo poo, the more gameplay I end up showing, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it makes for better content, but it does make for longer videos.

I...I'm not sure what point I was trying to make. I'm probably just rambling.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I think I'd rather keep the 10% damage ring. But I'm probably better off replacing my necklace with an old Fenrus Collar that gave +50% mana. My current channelling necklace reduces mana cost of spells by 10%, which really isn't worth it anymore now that I'll be stocking up on potions heavily.

There were a a few new armors for sale, Plate Armor in different colours, and a set of Spiked Armor. But they both detract agility, which is a deal-breaker at the moment.

Edit: Also, the game throws such ridiculous amounts of armor around that it almost makes me sad. The moment I'd buy something, one episode later I'd probably stumble upon 2-3 full sets that are all better. I like saving and spending on upgrades but I feel like only weapons have a decent pay-off.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 20, 2015

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Burning Sensation posted:

Sweet christmas, I asked for this game to be LP'd not too long ago in the LP request thread, but I never thought it'd actually happen! I loved this game when I was a child despite its awfulness.

Thanks for doing this, looking forward to watching it progress.

Your post put the game on my radar again. I was really curious how the game held up compared to when I played it years ago.

And so far it's holding up way better than I remembered. I think the last part of the game, with the Labyrinths, seriously soured my remembrance of earlier sections. I thought I'd be running out of conversations by now, but they keep coming. There's more content and it's more condensed than I remembered. The levels and art are varied, there's always one or two new enemies per area, and I'm swimming in armors and weapons. And there are way, way more spells than I can ever functionally use.

Once we get to the Labyrinths though I'm probably going to come up with a way to make a time-skip.

Nuramor posted:

Ah, the shop has greater availability than I expected. But remember that by now the secondary effects of armor are mostly more useful than the defense value.

Well, the shop's almost running out to be honest. I think after the level 15 unlocks, there is one more armor available at level 21 and that's it.

Got a recording ready for editing with, again, a silly amount of armor, but also a really nice upgrade.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 20, 2015

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Nuramor posted:

I was mostly thinking about armors that are apparently 'earlier' in the shop, before the plate armor. Stuff like the berserker armor, which has equal armor values to the celtic stuff, but gives you bonuses to your stamina. Something like that.

Oh yeah sure, that might be a good idea to check out. Won't be until an episode later though, as I said, one recording is already in the pipelines.

The other attacks that I can recall (which I'll spoiler, just in case) include grabbing Ogroks and kind of "cracking" their necks, then throwing them away, which I think might require an axe; the golem, which you can kind of hit on the head and then hit in the stomach, causing it to fall over, which requires a maul weapon... and I've forgotten the rest, I'm afraid, but if you could experiment with this stuff, it'd be awesome (wish I had access to the game so i could test it out myself!).

If you already know all of this and have demonstrated it in later videos, please ignore this post :v:

e: I think the large spiders can be impaled in a similar way to the druhg.

I never knew about these but I think you might be right. On a youtube channel of one of the animators who worked on Revenant there were a bunch of moves that all looked like grappling moves which I never figured out how to do. I can't believe Revenant is still throwing me new stuff after 15 years and multiple playthroughs. I'll experiment around a bit with the control key, see whether something turns up.

With the large spiders I only know their finishing move, chop or D button.

Edit: Holy poo poo you are right. I just stabbed an Ogrock and lifted him over my shoulder. Aw man. How the hell was anyone supposed to find this out. This is awesome.

-----------------------
Also, I thought I'd try and redo the a cappella piece of track #10 I quickly threw in during episode 2, this time the whole track. Last time I cheated a bit by using the easier part of the song, so I wanted to try out whether I could still do a decent job at it in full. A total of 6 tracks went into this. One for cymbals, bass, guitar, and bells, two for flutes. The real track has more percussion (drums and a click) and a way more detailed guitar track with chords. I think there are a few notes I hosed up slightly and I suck at whistling but I'm happy with the result.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 20, 2015

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

New episode!

I wished I hadn't recorded this... two days ago? I can't remember. Because of that, the new combo moves won't be in this episode. But I'm having a blast with the control + A/S/D moves and I'll probably go out of my way to explore them next episode. I can't believe there are so many different ways of killing things I've never seen before. With the sword alone, every enemy type seems to have between 1 and 3 different ctrl combo's available.

Anyway, if you're aching for more conversations, there's a bunch of them in the second half in this episode.

Edit: As usual, forgot the lore.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 21, 2015

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

^ Wish I'd noticed the thread sooner so I could've told you about them. Would probably have made the grinding you no doubt had to do a lot less tedious.

I managed to get my copy installed and running on my old Windows XP laptop (it runs poorly, to say the least) and have been experimenting a little with the Interactive combos. The Ogroks actually have three, two of which are unique to them, and all of them are pretty badass. I won't spoil it for the folks watching, but I'm looking forward to seeing you delve into it in a future video.

Even without those additional moves the grind really wasn't that bad. To find out that there's a whole new layer of moves at this point is great, really makes me want to dig in again. I still can't believe I missed all that. I think I faintly remember that I once found out about them by accident, but only at the end of a playthrough, and then promptly forgot them again.

The Ogrocks are amazing, I'm really glad they make a come-back in the current areas as Dark Ogrock so I can easily show off all the moves on them.

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, speaking of, I think I could be bothered to dig up my old disc - could you post something on how you managed to get the thing to run on what I'm assuming is a reasonably modern system?

It's a 64 bit Windows 7 PC so that should cover most modern options. There's a whole bunch of stuff you can try but it's not guaranteed to work. First, make sure you're running the last patch. I'm also using Windows 98/ME compatibility modus on the Revenant.exe.

If you get the game to start, what you might run into upon loading the first level of the game is some sort of directX error referring to a file mappane.cpp or something like that. If you get that, try and switch off "Enable real time lights" as well as "Use enhanced 3D Lightning".

If you can't get the game to run at all, there are some more options in the options screen you get when you run the Revenant launcher and press 'Run Revenant', Advanced Options, this screen basically:

That's what I'm running the game now on, including 3D acceleration which makes for some really nice spell effects, but the downside is that the mini-map won't work. I'm not entirely sure why 3D works at all, because I've also had it just refuse to work. Checking 'force software rendering' and then also 'Disable fast surface locks' is your best bet for a functional game, the mini-map works, and you'll only get minor glitches like in my first episodes, with black candles and dark fiery stove-pots. I've also seen someone recommend 'Disable Texture Blitting', as well as 'Disable texture overlays', so your mileage may vary.

Also, there is something weird with the Revenant.ini that might make it refuse to update. If you suspect that the game isn't listening to what you're changing (gamma, volume, launcher options) scout through the .ini and change them manually. I had to do that for my gamma settings.

Edit: Oh and now that I'm on this topic anyway. In case you're getting lag in the cutscenes or the cutscenes don't play, make a map named 'Movies' in your Revenant folder, copy the four MIX[NAME].smk files from disc 2 to that folder, and change MoviePath="." to MoviePath=".\Movies" in the revenant.ini file.

In case your music craps out occasionally, join the club, I haven't found a way to fix that and instead edit the tracks into the audio after recording.

Edit: If you reload the game and the game goes all dark, you can fix that by always first selecting 'Quit module' and then reloading from the menu screen. If the entire user interface disappears while shopping or the game just randomly throws a fit, pour a drink and hope you finish your session before your bottle.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 22, 2015

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Locke, getting bored with the ordinary ways of slaughtering his enemies, comes up with new and inventive ways to wreak havoc while making his way through the underground ruins. I also get pissed off at dragons and we get to talk to Olihoot again, discovering some more background story.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

While playing around with the control key combo's I also ended up finding out how you can read item descriptions without dropping or equipping items. Control + right click allows you to see anything you click on in the description screen, this includes NPC's and enemies. While there are some generic descriptions (Inhabitant of Misthaven for the majority of NPC's), some NPC's and enemies come with surprisingly detailed background stories.

Some of those descriptions are also absolutely worth reading. For example, all those talismans we've been receiving left and right? Yeah. Well, some of those things are genocide or apocalypse level items. They are absolutely bonkers relics that only the most cynical of assholes would use. Guess that makes Locke the perfect bearer.

Here are the talismans that we've gotten so far. Two more to go.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

That's definitely true, I don't block or dodge enough. Back when I played it the first time, I don't think I managed to kill Baez entirely with hand-to-hand, but I do remember trying that fight over and over using as few spells as possible and plenty of dodging. I still ended up using 2-3 strategic swamp pits. But I also remember giving up on dodging later in the game.

Part of that is the awkward controls between mouse and keyboard, so I've come to prefer just moving around (and my microphone is a bit in the way). But part of it is also laziness and a power-curve that is starting to top. During the caves I still had to watch out for zombies and a lot of manoeuvring was required, I didn't have fireballs, and I hadn't bought a single potion. Now it's far easier to exchange hits back and forth and just absorb damage in an endless ocean of potions. And there's a consideration that I might be making mistakenly, which is that I want to keep the speed up and am afraid I might be boring people if I spend too much time with each enemy. With some blocking and dodging, two ninja's are... well, I wouldn't call them easy but certainly manageable. But the alternative is two fireballs and off we go.

But, yes, there's a lot of charm in learning to correctly deal with enemies. With a lot of enemies you're better off not rushing. Dragons especially punish a frontal assault while they get pretty easy if you manoeuvre away from them and wait for/dodge the fire breath, then attack. Heck, that's probably faster too than getting cornered by them. I got impatient with them, perhaps because I had to redo that recording a few times, and dragons really punish impatient gameplay.

I did the next recording earlier today, but that one is more spell-heavy. The buffs aren't interesting to show, but I at least want to go through most of the the attack/control-type spells.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I made a quick tour around Misthaven and collected all the NPC descriptions. Everybody else only had generic 'denizen of Ur' stuff. I´ll try and get most of the enemies done as well.

I wasn't much into music back in the 1999's so I have no idea who they're referring to with Elahni's description. Must've been someone who was already pretty old back then to have white hair

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Hah, cool, an old Garcia actually does look a fair bit like Elahni.

I made a tour from the forests back to the caves, the ruins, and finally the underground pyramid to get the enemy descriptions. Some are group-descriptions that are the same for all members, like the ninjas or casters. I'll throw together another bunch of images once we get the last two talismans as well as the last new enemies.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I'm glad I've got a recording done that will be ready to upload in a few hours, because all this Patrick Stewart talk is making me want to try something and I wouldn't have the time for that otherwise.

I also wanted to write a bit about the game's difficulty. The game takes a lot of patience; with having to learn your own moves, to learn enemies, grinding a fair bit on occasion, but also with the combat itself. In the forest, grinding before proceeding is almost a requirement. Level makes a huge difference in combat effectiveness, perhaps too much I think. The ATT/DEF and health you get from gaining a few levels is the difference between trivial and difficult enemies.

And then there's the combat itself. I love it, but if you ever get impatient and just really want to continue, which will no doubt happen at some point (probably when you're in the caves), then you'll likely get more frustrated and things go even worse. It's a blessing that I'm LP'ing this in 30-45 minute segments, that Nuramor send me a ton of maps to navigate through the mazes, and that Burning Sensation pointed out the grappling moves. When you don't have something new to try and get stuck in a maze, and then hit with an error, it's easy to get frustrated. And that can still happen when I have to re-record because of a crash, and sometimes because I'm a bit of a stickler and on average restart a recording 3-5 times during the first few minutes. (I think that's just what it takes before I find a groove I'm satisfied with.)

It sortof reminds me of when Beagle is playing X-Com. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Whenever I try fast first, I suck and things only get worse from there.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Gaining ground in the ruined underworld, Locke meets Sabu and proceeds to doggedly hunt the man down, leaving behind only bodies and ghosts from a past long forgotten.

There are a bunch of neat conversations in this part and I try out a couple of new spells. The game keeps surprising me with more conversations than I remembered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

You'd think so, but If you ask him "Who the hell are you anyway?", you just get a tiny bit of background (I am Horatio, High Priest of the Ancient Order and servant of the Great Empire of Ahkuilon and its Emperor) and then the conversation loops back into a dismissive Locke. I really wanted that 'screaming of thousands' line instead.

There's a decent amount of stuff that didn't make it into the final game, like the potions guy, but also the 3 other NPC's you meet but won't join you. If you start a mutliplayer game, you can see all the items in the game, and there are actually 6 different bows and 5 different types of arrow, only one of both making it into the game. Even more surprising, there is an entire category of functional weaponry that is only available in multiplayer, counting around 21 staffs. The other NPC's, Morganna, Bayne and Navarro, each have their own unique fighting styles. And then of course there's the end-game I've yet to show, but I haven't seen anyone yet who liked that part of the game.

I think the ninjas also spam you with 必殺 'hissatsu', and then there's what sounds like 'kattu nai', which I guess could be a way of saying 'never cut'.

'Kinkechoi' I can't place at all though.

• Locked thread