Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Nihilarian posted:

Speaking from a :spergin: standpoint, the cost and the alternatives kind of kills magic. You can spend SP and MP to cast a spell - cutting into your Cutlass Fury points - or you can get the same effect from magic items for money, and nothing else. Not to mention you can carry up to 99 of an item while your MP doesn't go above, maybe 30?

The game is not difficult enough to need that much efficiency, though, and you can unlock spells before you get access to their items - as demonstrated in the video with Increm - so magic can have it's uses. Increm is definitely worth the SP/MP cost.

Some of the spells, (most of the silver ones) don't have item equivalents, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Actually, aren't the magic XP distributed double to each character for the color they have equipped and singly for each color equipped by another character? So if Vyse is using green and Aika is using red, Vyse will gain one point for red and two for green, while Aika will get two for red and one for green. That's how I remember it working.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Nidoking posted:

Actually, aren't the magic XP distributed double to each character for the color they have equipped and singly for each color equipped by another character? So if Vyse is using green and Aika is using red, Vyse will gain one point for red and two for green, while Aika will get two for red and one for green. That's how I remember it working.
I just checked the video and it seems that way, yeah.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
With all this chat about Skys and all the crossovers they've been in. I think what it really boils down to is that Sega needs to make their own Smash Bros type game. Or a new one since there was a fighters megamix.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Waffleman_ posted:

One Piece actually started three years before Skies of Arcadia released, so it's possible that it might be a reference.

Honestly, with Pirate's Grave I always assumed the "D" was meant for "Dyne", since the family's home turf was fairly close by.

Also, I don't want to sound greedy here and apologize if I do, but I think you guys might have to pick up the update schedule a little bit for this game. I remember my own playthroughs taking usually somewhere between 60-80 hours or so, so only updating once a week like usual would take...awhile.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
When I was a kid I believed there were just some runs where Moonberries would rain from the sky from every fight, but it turns out its all luck of the 1% RNG draw. :v: Still, its a good idea to abuse them and force them down Vyse's throat first if you keep being lucky as you'll have access to him throughout most of the game.

But its just sad that no game ever embraced exploration or travel like Arcadia. Even if Air Ships have been done to death by JRPGs, none of them felt like the ships you could fly here. Not even the strange DS clone that is Nostalgia.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Crabtree posted:

But its just sad that no game ever embraced exploration or travel like Arcadia. Even if Air Ships have been done to death by JRPGs, none of them felt like the ships you could fly here. Not even the strange DS clone that is Nostalgia.

I saw some very familiar looking pieces of tech go by in that trailer. Is Nostalgia worth tying to find?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Ardeem posted:

I saw some very familiar looking pieces of tech go by in that trailer. Is Nostalgia worth tying to find?

Well, its technically a game that was apparently over a decade in the making, so be prepared to play something that feels like it should have been released around 1996. It's arguably a little slower and a little dumber than Skies of Arcadia, but if you can find it you might like it as Nostalgia scratches some familiar itches of SOA.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Crabtree posted:

Well, its technically a game that was apparently over a decade in the making, so be prepared to play something that feels like it should have been released around 1996. It's arguably a little slower and a little dumber than Skies of Arcadia, but if you can find it you might like it as Nostalgia scratches some familiar itches of SOA.

Just be prepared to save a lot at certain points. I don't know if it's just the early game or if it gets any easier later on, but I remember some points during the early stages where the game had no problems throwing overpowered random encounters along the sky lanes at you that would pretty much wreck your life the moment you flew into them. They weren't even hidden either, it'd just happen on the route you're supposed to be going to the next area.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Derek Barona posted:

Honestly, with Pirate's Grave I always assumed the "D" was meant for "Dyne", since the family's home turf was fairly close by.

Yeah, I was thinking about it, and at the time Skies of Arcadia was released, One Piece would have been in its third or fourth saga and the significance of the Will of D had only just been hinted at.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Derek Barona posted:

Also, I don't want to sound greedy here and apologize if I do, but I think you guys might have to pick up the update schedule a little bit for this game. I remember my own playthroughs taking usually somewhere between 60-80 hours or so, so only updating once a week like usual would take...awhile.

Uhm, I'm pretty sure the pirate buried there is Some other guy with a name starting with D.

Ardeem fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 5, 2015

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Is it just me or is the aspect ratio a bit off? The full moon in the opening cutscene looked a little bit wider than it was tall.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
And considering Gol D. Rodger's treasure, the entire focus of the show, is based on Oliver Levassuer and his still hidden treasure, I'd give both Arcadia and One Piece a pass at using standard Pirate Story 101 to flavor their worlds. But whoever D is in Arcadia is better left not talked about until Travis and company get there.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ahhh Skies of Arcadia was the first game I picked up for my shiny new(at the time) Dreamcast after moving into my new apartment. It's one of the few games I've ever 100% and I loved the poo poo out of it the entire time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
gently caress yes.

Bruceski posted:

Yeah. In a normal "gritty" RPG you'd expect "being a sky pirate is awesome" to give way to a bunch of downer stuff.

But nope, being a sky pirate is awesome and stays awesome.

See previous statement.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Yessss, I wanted to do an LP of this a long time ago and since there was a good screenshot LP I binned it, but I will always love watching SoA since I think it's one of the best RPG in existence.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Forer posted:

Yessss, I wanted to do an LP of this a long time ago and since there was a good screenshot LP I binned it, but I will always love watching SoA since I think it's one of the best RPG in existence.

Psh, it wasn't that good. :colbert:

I'm with you on this being one of the best RPGs in existence, though. It's just so good from start to finish.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Nidoking posted:

Well shoot, I never noticed that.

Crabtree posted:

Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
No problem. I can post some more detailed information about Nostalgia and similarities or differences it has with Arcadia, but I can also wait as we've barely scratched the surface of SoA to compare it with another game. But just checking Amazon, I'm glad it isn't as hard to track down as Arcadia can get. :v:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Crabtree posted:

No problem. I can post some more detailed information about Nostalgia and similarities or differences it has with Arcadia, but I can also wait as we've barely scratched the surface of SoA to compare it with another game. But just checking Amazon, I'm glad it isn't as hard to track down as Arcadia can get. :v:

Waiting's probably better, yeah. Would love to see more info from someone who's played the game once there's been a few more updates though!

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
I am so in love with this game. This will truly be a magical adventure!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We explore Vyse and Aika's home of Pirate Isle before making our way through the first dungeon. Lucky Fish!

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
"Next episode we'll introduce one of my favorite characters"

Aw, yay!

So, for a quick roundup of our antagonists so far:

Alfonso: Admiral of the First Fleet of the Armada. Rich boy, perpetually smug. Got his position by being rich in a country where being rich is what matters. About a -4/10 on the legitimate threat scale.

Galcian: Grand Admiral of the Armada, thus head of the entire Valuan military. Carries a Class 9 Villain License, one of the perks of which includes the right to wear that cape whenever and wherever he wants. Snazzy as gently caress.

Ramirez: Galcian's Vice-Admiral. Not quite as snazzy as gently caress as his boss, but he works hard at it every day. Dreams that one day his snazziness will be noticed by Galcian-senpai.

Derek Barona fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 7, 2015

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
In relation to Phantasy Star, take the time to read a little about a very talented woman.

Rieko Kodama

In addition there are some people from the Panzer Dragoon series involved and you can really see that in some elements later on.

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Yeah. In a normal "gritty" RPG you'd expect "being a sky pirate is awesome" to give way to a bunch of downer stuff.

But nope, being a sky pirate is awesome and stays awesome.

Really, this is what I admire about the game more than anything. There are not enough RPGs or games in general where the tone is more or less fixed on "gently caress YES, adventure!"

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Dyne's not a very imaginative guy if he really expected not to be discovered on an island called Pirate Isle, kind of making yourself an obvious target for military retaliation there. :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Judge Tesla posted:

Dyne's not a very imaginative guy if he really expected not to be discovered on an island called Pirate Isle, kind of making yourself an obvious target for military retaliation there. :v:

"Dangit guys, I told you to call it PARROT Isle when talking to other people!"

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Derek Barona posted:

Alfonso: Admiral of the First Fleet of the Armada. Rich boy, perpetually smug. Got his position by being rich in a country where being rich is what matters. About a -4/10 on the legitimate threat scale.

Oh come on, he's at least a -2/10. You might have a heart attack from laughing at how pathetic he is, that counts for something.

Also, I cracked up at 11:38. "Money makes the world go 'round." That is going to be so, so amazing to look back on much later.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 8, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Loopers! :argh: No good JRPG is complete without a metal slime like monster.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

Actually they cover that, on maps it's marked Windmill Isle.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

7c Nickel posted:

Actually they cover that, on maps it's marked Windmill Isle.
What, really? I missed that detail. The "Pirate Isle" thing has amused me since I was a kid.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

There are actually two relevant stats to SP growth: SP and Max SP. Max SP increases the size of the SP meter - its total capacity is the sum of the Max SP for all characters in the party. That grows pretty frequently. SP is how many points accumulate for use each round or when the character uses Focus. Again, it's summed for all characters in terms of there being a single bar, but each character's stat remains separate, and if a character is incapacitated or has a status effect that prevents SP recovery, they won't contribute to the bar. The SP stat grows pretty slowly, but a single point can make a huge difference. Once you get a total of 8 SP for your party, Aika's Lambda Burst makes a pretty great opening move, and if you ever hit 14, you can start battles with Rain of Swords. 7 is another great plateau to hit because you can use Cutlass Fury every turn if you don't need the SP for anything else. It's pretty neat to have a fully-bulked up party throwing around the moves that were originally the "battle win" moves you had to save up several turns for.

Boss fights can go more quickly if you use Focus and concentrate on special moves, but I generally like to have all of my characters attack and just use the SP when I've got enough, at least early on. Late in the game, the special moves are expensive enough and exceed your normal attack power by so much that Focus is the better strategy. I don't think there's a wrong way to play the game in that regard.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Nihilarian posted:

What, really? I missed that detail. The "Pirate Isle" thing has amused me since I was a kid.

It's on one of the signs sitting around the island. Travis doesn't stop and do it, but a decent amount of crap in this game can be clicked on for Vyse's flavor text opinions. Most of it's just junk, but bits like that one occasionally pop up.

Nidoking posted:

There are actually two relevant stats to SP growth: SP and Max SP. Max SP increases the size of the SP meter - its total capacity is the sum of the Max SP for all characters in the party. That grows pretty frequently. SP is how many points accumulate for use each round or when the character uses Focus. Again, it's summed for all characters in terms of there being a single bar, but each character's stat remains separate, and if a character is incapacitated or has a status effect that prevents SP recovery, they won't contribute to the bar. The SP stat grows pretty slowly, but a single point can make a huge difference. Once you get a total of 8 SP for your party, Aika's Lambda Burst makes a pretty great opening move, and if you ever hit 14, you can start battles with Rain of Swords. 7 is another great plateau to hit because you can use Cutlass Fury every turn if you don't need the SP for anything else. It's pretty neat to have a fully-bulked up party throwing around the moves that were originally the "battle win" moves you had to save up several turns for.

Boss fights can go more quickly if you use Focus and concentrate on special moves, but I generally like to have all of my characters attack and just use the SP when I've got enough, at least early on. Late in the game, the special moves are expensive enough and exceed your normal attack power by so much that Focus is the better strategy. I don't think there's a wrong way to play the game in that regard.

Pretty much the moment you get 8 starting SP, most random battles will start and end with Lambda Burst and frankly I am so grateful for it. Even with the adjusted encounter rates, some places in the game are still such a slog.

Derek Barona fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 8, 2015

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Ardeem posted:

Uhm, I'm pretty sure the pirate buried there is Some other guy with a name starting with D.

So it's either Dadbeard or Dickweed the pirate. Gotcha.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Technical Analysis posted:

So it's either Dadbeard or Dickweed the pirate. Gotcha.

I had a relevant name in there, but it was sort of spoilers so removed it.

Also, the video seems to have been stretched horizontally.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
It's also nice to note the separate battle environments the game includes - the arenas for the temple interior, exterior, and boss fight are all distinct from one another. It's something that I didn't really notice my first time through, but stands out when you're not the one at the controls.

The only annoying thing about this game is that I often get the battle mechanics it uses confused with Grandia II, another DC game I put a lot of hours into around the same time. Half the time in the LP I'm wondering why the focus bar doesn't show the cumulative enemy/ally action order. That being said, I really enjoyed the fast pace of combat in this game. At first glance, many of the special abilities seem arbitrarily powerful and straightforward, for example, 'block ALL magic for 1 turn', but trying to balance the cost of offense and defense with the focus meter become really interesting as the game progresses, and the different enemy types and bosses make the most of those difference, each requiring different approaches and forcing the player to learn as they go.

That said, give Vyse all the moonberries, as quickly as possible, because his ultimate attack kicks seven shades of rear end.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

McKilligan posted:

That said, give Vyse all the moonberries, as quickly as possible, because his ultimate attack kicks seven shades of rear end.

This is a good idea if you pace yourself so that you have the SP to cover the cost of the ability. Nothing like having a skill that requires 21 SP to use while it takes you three turns to charge up to your absolute maximum of 15. Also, there are a lot of low-level abilities that are really good to have, particularly Aika's Delta Shield. "Block all magic for one turn" may seem overpowered, but when you meet enemies that randomly cast an instant death spell with a high hit percentage on your whole party, you'll realize it's justrightpowered.

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

I really appreciate this game's ability to make each party member have a cut and dry ability that is unique to them. It keeps each of them very useful in their own ways, and yet weights it out by making the overall team more important than any individual. For example, one character has a move that acts as a debuff, but their fragile nature requires the needs of a tank to take the impact for them, and yet the tank doesn't stand a chance against a buffed enemy without the help of the debuffer. I appreciate the fine balance of not only the team itself, but the enemy and boss types that encourage you to think.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
Oh poo poo, I LOVE this game. It's probably up there as one of my top RPGs, which I really didn't expect since I usually enjoy a more serious/dramatic story. Vyse is young, but not dumb; his supporting cast is quirky, but not intolerable; and the world is huge, but not boring. It's just a really charming game, and me and some friends did a 100% (Legend) run a year or two back and we all had a blast.

There's a billion and a half things I have to say about the game, but I'll save it for when it becomes relevant.

For starters, though, I always get a kick out of the impromptu decisions the game has you make for swashbuckler rating. Most are obvious, but some are trickier (usually the ship battle ones) and I like that. I've always been vaguely curious how far down the rank goes if you made ALL the bad choices. Vyse the :spergin: ?

There's an ongoing joke with my friends that when Vyse picks the correct choice, he doesn't actually say anything but just makes the "correct answer noise" with his mouth. We played some RPGs after, and we'd keep yelling out "Correct answer noise!" any time a moral choice question came up. Great fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The worst Swashbuckler Rating is Vyse the Ninny.

• Locked thread