Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
This was one of my favorites as well, and the reason I bought a Dreamcast and a VMU. I even played the VMU minigame enough to get a Moonberry from it, as well as a very rare accessory that came in really handy. As for early game Moonberries, I always get one or two here. I'm pretty sure the drop rate is fairly high, or perhaps the drops are scripted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Actually, aren't the magic XP distributed double to each character for the color they have equipped and singly for each color equipped by another character? So if Vyse is using green and Aika is using red, Vyse will gain one point for red and two for green, while Aika will get two for red and one for green. That's how I remember it working.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

There are actually two relevant stats to SP growth: SP and Max SP. Max SP increases the size of the SP meter - its total capacity is the sum of the Max SP for all characters in the party. That grows pretty frequently. SP is how many points accumulate for use each round or when the character uses Focus. Again, it's summed for all characters in terms of there being a single bar, but each character's stat remains separate, and if a character is incapacitated or has a status effect that prevents SP recovery, they won't contribute to the bar. The SP stat grows pretty slowly, but a single point can make a huge difference. Once you get a total of 8 SP for your party, Aika's Lambda Burst makes a pretty great opening move, and if you ever hit 14, you can start battles with Rain of Swords. 7 is another great plateau to hit because you can use Cutlass Fury every turn if you don't need the SP for anything else. It's pretty neat to have a fully-bulked up party throwing around the moves that were originally the "battle win" moves you had to save up several turns for.

Boss fights can go more quickly if you use Focus and concentrate on special moves, but I generally like to have all of my characters attack and just use the SP when I've got enough, at least early on. Late in the game, the special moves are expensive enough and exceed your normal attack power by so much that Focus is the better strategy. I don't think there's a wrong way to play the game in that regard.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

McKilligan posted:

That said, give Vyse all the moonberries, as quickly as possible, because his ultimate attack kicks seven shades of rear end.

This is a good idea if you pace yourself so that you have the SP to cover the cost of the ability. Nothing like having a skill that requires 21 SP to use while it takes you three turns to charge up to your absolute maximum of 15. Also, there are a lot of low-level abilities that are really good to have, particularly Aika's Delta Shield. "Block all magic for one turn" may seem overpowered, but when you meet enemies that randomly cast an instant death spell with a high hit percentage on your whole party, you'll realize it's justrightpowered.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The novelty of Discoveries goes from "I've never heard of such a thing! Take all my money!" to "I've heard about that, thanks for finding it. Here's some money," to "Yeah, someone already found that, but it's good to know they weren't lying to me. I might have some pocket change I can give you for that," to "Everybody already knows about that! There's a thriving tourist trade now!" as the game goes on. Along with these drops in reward value, you can get hints to where some of the Discoveries are from the Sailors' Guild (for a price), which makes them easier to locate. There are some Discoveries in the game that I consider very odd, particularly since every Sailors' Guild is functionally identical, so you can go to the Sailors' Guild on Bumblefuck Island and tell them "Hey, I discovered Bumblefuck Island!" and they'll say "Wow! I've never even heard of Bumblefuck Island! On behalf of the Sailors' Guild of Bumblefuck Island, take all the money I have!" But that's just a game mechanic you have to overlook.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Still, I have to picture the merchant looking out the window and going "Wait, you mean there's a PLACE out there?"

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Ship battles also mostly remove the aspect of which character does what - since you decide not only what each character does each round, but also which order they act in, the speed stats are no longer a factor, and since they're using the ship's weapons instead of their own, I don't think the character's stats factor into attacks either. The only things that have any relation to who does them are Focus (since that depends on the character's SP stat) and Magic (which uses the character's MP as well as the list of spells each character knows).

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Fair enough. I guess I never paid attention to any numbers that weren't Harpoon Cannon numbers. I assumed spell effect would vary with the spellcaster's magic power - that's pretty much a given.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Also, they spent a good portion of the time defending, as indicated by a purple bar behind the name when you attack them. If you guard or use a skill that increases defense, you'll see the same thing. So Fina can actually do about 40 HP of damage under normal conditions. But even I, the champion of making the weakest physical characters in games do the heavy attacking, spent most of my time having Fina focus or use items until I had considerably more Chams.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The biggest reason to kill Barta first is that if Rupee dies, he starts using Legendary Punch without using Legendary Charge first. With a turn of warning, you can guard to reduce the damage significantly, but without that, you're taking a risk every turn. I think he can even use it twice in a row, although he rarely does, so you're not even entirely safe going with the "turtle until he uses the big attack, then hit hard while you can" strategy that works in most contexts.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Pretty sure you can't Focus while Fatigued. I don't know about Drachma's special ability that increases SP - you might still be able to use it, but it wouldn't recover SP, or it might not be usable at all. I never used it when I played.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

My usual pattern for ship battles when there's a ! spot coming up is to launch a torpedo two rounds before, hit a subcannon the round before and extend it into the ! round, then use a main cannon in the ! round itself. If you've got three-round subcannons or torpedos with a three-round range (and the SP to do it), you can even have four attacks land in the same round. You won't be using the Harpoon Cannon any time soon after that, but when that's not an option, stacking attacks on a single round can be highly effective.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I'm pretty sure the effect of an Abirik Cham depends entirely on what form Cupil's in at the time. It will always upgrade him to a new form (unless he's at the penultimate form and still some Chams away from the final form), but the total number of Chams for the form after that remains the same. In some forms, though, the Abirik Cham will push Cupil into an alternate form, which can lead to an entirely different upgrade path or loop back to the regular one farther along. There's a chart on GameFAQs that explains the whole thing, and that's pretty much the only reason to use Choms - if the number of Chams and Abirik Chams you've used so far can combine into a stronger form than the one you currently have.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The Lapen battle is a really good one for Enrique's second special move - granted, that uses up about half of your SP every turn, but it makes those special moves survivable, and I believe it stacks with guarding. That's how I made most of the Bounty fights manageable, anyway.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Shei-kun posted:

This is the girl who constantly starts a battle by covering everyone in copious amounts of fire. Seriously, we're not seeing 99% of the fights and as someone who has beaten this game more than once, I can promise you that once she gets that ability, that is pretty much how all the random encounters go. Lambda Bursts for everyone and everything.

As long as you're generating 8 SP or more per turn, anyway. The go-to technique changes to Rain of Swords when you hit 14, but that's pretty much endgame or a TON of grinding for levels.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

Uhh, that doesn't seem much better...

Starts every battle by throwing swords at everyone, yes, but doesn't suggest flying a flag with his anthropomorphic face on it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Section Z posted:

He suggests a flag with a skull wearing a glass eyepatch with a sword behind it.

The guy who throws swords, wears a glass eyepatch, and keeps summoning skeletons :v:

*shrug* If you want to fault the guy for being a pirate and using traditional pirate stuff, rather than being a pirate who wears a tutu and throws muffins and bunnies at his enemies until they relinquish their stock of toothpaste, and only toothpaste, that's your business.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The third DLC was not another fight, but an area with a Cham. Don't get the DLC, and you can never upgrade Cupil to its final form. The good news is, it was free - as long as you had a Dreamcast Network disc and dial-up Internet access. And enough space on a VMU to hold the DLC packs. They were small, but the Pinta quest stuff took up most of the VMU - I think that plus the saves for the main game were pretty much all it would hold.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Wanamingo posted:

It's been a while, but isn't the point of the floating wall that it keeps out foreign ships? You'd need blue moonstones to fly above or below it, and they're the only people with access to them.

Take a look at the nearest wall to you. Look at the entirety of the wall. Pretend that wall is a wall-sized door.

Imagine sticking a postage stamp somewhere on that wall and saying "This postage stamp is a barrier preventing anyone from moving through the door."

That is the Great Wall of Yafutoma.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Kurieg posted:

He's saying that putting a stamp on a door doesn't actually prevent you from opening said door.

No, I'm saying that a stamp-sized barrier in a wall-sized space isn't going to prevent a person-sized object from moving through, even if that barrier actually does impenetrably block access to its stamp-sized territory.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The entire Bounty system was new in Legends, and it just incorporated the Baltor and Gordo fights from the original as Bounties. All of the other Bounties are new characters for this version. The prizes you got from the impostor squad are one of three DLC packs from the Dreamcast version - if you had the network disc and a dial-up connection, and the free space on your VMU, you could download three free updates that were only applied to one save file (pretty sure you could download them multiple times, but I never bothered). I believe the second one put the Tuna Cutlass, Swirlmerang, and some other item in the inventory of the traveling merchant, which you could then buy pretty early on in the game. I don't think the other two are quite accessible yet, but will be soon. Obviously, Legends has all three of the DLC packs built in.

It's probably been pointed out before, but the Moonfish, Doc and Maria, and Piastol are all new elements in Legends as well. It's pretty neat how well they tie into the rest of the game. The Moonfish quest is there mainly to give you some of the rare prizes that you could get from Pinta's Quest, which doesn't exist in Legends because there's no VMU to play it on. It was a decent way to grind for Moonberries, though.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Hamachou Island is the first of the three DLC packs in the Dreamcast version. Yes, including the Cham that's there. Meaning that if you didn't have the network setup and dial-up service, you could never get Cupil to his final form. The third pack included at least some of the big sky battles - I know the Giant Looper was part of it, and I think one of the other ones that hasn't been shown yet in the LP was also part of that download. I don't remember whether the giant bird was part of that or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

It's such a shame that you can't turn Aika and Fina down to date Piastol instead. Or choose her, whatever was going on with that decision.

That would probably have been a bigger change than they were willing to make in the Gamecube version, since she didn't exist in the Dreamcast version.

• Locked thread