Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Skies of Arcadia has always been one of my more favorite Sega games. It, Evolution, and Phantasy Star Online are all kind of a weird set of games that show just how genuinely good Sega was at making vibrant games that look and feel really cool, but almost no one cared or paid any attention to them until they appeared on the Gamecube long after the Dreamcast died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

EponymousMrYar posted:

That being said, Arcadia: Legends is a pretty fun and awesome game. Also I think Antonio has a guaranteed/nigh guaranteed Moonberry drop since I played through the intro a bunch and never noted him not dropping one for Aika.

As far as I'm aware, most of the bosses during the first half of the game have 100% drop chances for it, whereas the normal drop rate for anything besides a Looper is like, single digits. I personally always just sat and hoarded them until I had enough to knock out several moves at once.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Waffleman_ posted:

One Piece actually started three years before Skies of Arcadia released, so it's possible that it might be a reference.

Honestly, with Pirate's Grave I always assumed the "D" was meant for "Dyne", since the family's home turf was fairly close by.

Also, I don't want to sound greedy here and apologize if I do, but I think you guys might have to pick up the update schedule a little bit for this game. I remember my own playthroughs taking usually somewhere between 60-80 hours or so, so only updating once a week like usual would take...awhile.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Crabtree posted:

Well, its technically a game that was apparently over a decade in the making, so be prepared to play something that feels like it should have been released around 1996. It's arguably a little slower and a little dumber than Skies of Arcadia, but if you can find it you might like it as Nostalgia scratches some familiar itches of SOA.

Just be prepared to save a lot at certain points. I don't know if it's just the early game or if it gets any easier later on, but I remember some points during the early stages where the game had no problems throwing overpowered random encounters along the sky lanes at you that would pretty much wreck your life the moment you flew into them. They weren't even hidden either, it'd just happen on the route you're supposed to be going to the next area.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
"Next episode we'll introduce one of my favorite characters"

Aw, yay!

So, for a quick roundup of our antagonists so far:

Alfonso: Admiral of the First Fleet of the Armada. Rich boy, perpetually smug. Got his position by being rich in a country where being rich is what matters. About a -4/10 on the legitimate threat scale.

Galcian: Grand Admiral of the Armada, thus head of the entire Valuan military. Carries a Class 9 Villain License, one of the perks of which includes the right to wear that cape whenever and wherever he wants. Snazzy as gently caress.

Ramirez: Galcian's Vice-Admiral. Not quite as snazzy as gently caress as his boss, but he works hard at it every day. Dreams that one day his snazziness will be noticed by Galcian-senpai.

Derek Barona fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 7, 2015

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Nihilarian posted:

What, really? I missed that detail. The "Pirate Isle" thing has amused me since I was a kid.

It's on one of the signs sitting around the island. Travis doesn't stop and do it, but a decent amount of crap in this game can be clicked on for Vyse's flavor text opinions. Most of it's just junk, but bits like that one occasionally pop up.

Nidoking posted:

There are actually two relevant stats to SP growth: SP and Max SP. Max SP increases the size of the SP meter - its total capacity is the sum of the Max SP for all characters in the party. That grows pretty frequently. SP is how many points accumulate for use each round or when the character uses Focus. Again, it's summed for all characters in terms of there being a single bar, but each character's stat remains separate, and if a character is incapacitated or has a status effect that prevents SP recovery, they won't contribute to the bar. The SP stat grows pretty slowly, but a single point can make a huge difference. Once you get a total of 8 SP for your party, Aika's Lambda Burst makes a pretty great opening move, and if you ever hit 14, you can start battles with Rain of Swords. 7 is another great plateau to hit because you can use Cutlass Fury every turn if you don't need the SP for anything else. It's pretty neat to have a fully-bulked up party throwing around the moves that were originally the "battle win" moves you had to save up several turns for.

Boss fights can go more quickly if you use Focus and concentrate on special moves, but I generally like to have all of my characters attack and just use the SP when I've got enough, at least early on. Late in the game, the special moves are expensive enough and exceed your normal attack power by so much that Focus is the better strategy. I don't think there's a wrong way to play the game in that regard.

Pretty much the moment you get 8 starting SP, most random battles will start and end with Lambda Burst and frankly I am so grateful for it. Even with the adjusted encounter rates, some places in the game are still such a slog.

Derek Barona fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 8, 2015

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Random thing to note now that we've seen all of the admirals, one of the weird little details about the Valuan military that I've always loved is the way their rank emblems are those ribbons you see trailing off of their outfits. I don't know why, but I've always thought the ones that were thrown back over their shoulders or hanging off their backs to trail behind them was really cool.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
The music of this game just overall is a thing of beauty. I can't think of a single song on this whole soundtrack I don't like or outright have on my computer.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
This section was okay, but the second half of this scenario is definitely the more awesome portion. Looking forward to it.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Taking the conversation away from Delta Shield and how useful/broken it and the oh my freaking god invincibility shield can be later on, I want to ask Travis about Discoveries and whether or not he plans on going for them as a main goal. Later stuff in the game aside, I always found myself really irked when I managed to find one and went to turn them in, only to find some other flying asshat had beaten me to it. Any thoughts?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Ardeem posted:

If it's your second time through the game, there is no shame in looking up the locations of the first 30 discoveries and putting that asshat out of a job.

Fully agreed.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

FinalGamer posted:

Wait, someone can BEAT YOU to discoveries and you won't be able to unlock them!?!?

oh my loving GOD THAT poo poo IS DEAD :argh:

Seriously that sounds super-annoying hearing it like that I would NOT want somebody else out there in my gameworld taking away discoveries from me.

You can still report them, but yeah, my OCD absolutely refuses to allow the Discoveries book to not say "FOUND BY VYSE" when talking about ANYTHING.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Drachma joined the party, take a shot.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Dreadwroth posted:

Plus it would have been boss to roll as a Purple Moon wizard with a crazy spellship, poo poo would have been tiiiight.

I agree with absolutely everything in this statement.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

FinalGamer posted:

Please tell me that he is Drachma.

If I had to guess just on what we've heard of people's quote so far, I'm pretty sure he is.

"TAKE THAT!" sounds pretty Wario, at the very least.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, Vyse is such a great hero/protagonist because he actually thinks. He's not here to fight the scariest guy he's seen, scarier than even Drachma, he's here to rescue Fina who happens to be in the opposite direction of Admiral Terminator. The writing does a great job of setting Vyse apart from so many heroes because while just about any other JRPG protagonist would scream and throw their teenage angst and rage against the big bad, Vyse actually makes hard choices as he often has to look out for other people besides himself/the party.

Remember, while the Player know show Galcian is and that he's obviously A big bad, if not THE big bad, all Vyse knows is he's got a Valuan badass Terminator Walking towards him. At most he might recognize said badass as Admiral Galcian because as a Blue Rogue he probably tries to keep some tabs on the Valuan Armada if only to know who to raid and who to avoid like the plague (the lookout did recognize Galcian's standard when he started shelling Pirate Island after all). He doesn't know he's in an epic story to save the world, he knows he's on a time limit and the person who he needs to save is in the opposite direction of the guy who looks like he eats nails for breakfast.

It's probably not even just because he's Galcian, either. Vyse definitely strikes me as the kind of person who would avoid a direct confrontation with anyone who looked like they could backhand him into next weekend, just out of pragmatism. He doesn't avoid fights in general, but there's a major difference between taking out armed guards roaming a hallway and throwing yourself onto the sword of someone who can pretty clearly ruin your day.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I'm always torn when I get to that part, but I'm gonna go Sword here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Mr. Vile posted:

There is a reason you don't attack the squishy mage child until his bodyguard is dead.

(spoilered for people who haven't watched the update yet)

The kid has one hell of a kick on him.

"You have angered me."

• Locked thread