Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

Yeah, I think the excitement of the moon berry pickup was a bit of foreshadowing excitement. So far through this play through, I have already picked up way more Moonberries then I ever did in any of my other play throughs. You are right though, Antonio is a default drop, but the first fight producing a drop? That was a first for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

I really appreciate this game's ability to make each party member have a cut and dry ability that is unique to them. It keeps each of them very useful in their own ways, and yet weights it out by making the overall team more important than any individual. For example, one character has a move that acts as a debuff, but their fragile nature requires the needs of a tank to take the impact for them, and yet the tank doesn't stand a chance against a buffed enemy without the help of the debuffer. I appreciate the fine balance of not only the team itself, but the enemy and boss types that encourage you to think.

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

What you will also notice about the various societies is that the moons directly effected the progress of their technology and culture. Sure, there are a lot of parallels to actual nations, but clearly there is a lot of thought put behind how they function. The Red nation of Nasr is a desert nation with little resources, so their dependence on trade and the wealth that comes from it is very clear. Ixa'Taka is a culture of nature, and despite the development of ships, the ships themselves have the appearance that they are carved from trees, since it's obviously new to them (because of a certain pirate engineer family). Very few details were not considered.

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

While pokemon logic is what people generally do in regard to elemental weaknesses, to me the damage output plays backseat to the elemental spell enhancement, and the card simply screams the most basic of balancing possible. Although throughout my LP, I find the effects of elemental equipment in regards to offense to really only pay dividends when it comes to boss fights, since some of the health bars later in the game are just silly. Do any of you guys know the mathematical difference between neutral and strong elemental effect? I can't imagine there is too much information out there about it.

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

So, not gonna lie, I'm going to use Delta Shield a lot during this play through. Sure, I can use Aura of Denial instead, or just waste all my SP and revival items dealing with the death spells, but Delta Shield is very dependable and cheap. I won't use it for EVERY spell casting situation mind you, but when it comes to Eternum and Debuffs? Delta Shield bay bay!

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

Random_Username posted:

It's almost a pity how inexpensive and effective Delta Shield is, and I think it completely kills the magic system (or at least, even more so).

In fights where preventing spells (especially insta-kill silver spells) is a must, Aika ends up being almost exclusively on Delta Shield duty and the only magic you'll be casting is an incremus turn one if you're feeling saucy.

Again, I'm not pretending I didn't spam the hell out of it and other shield-like moves, I just wish it didn't completely invalidate the magic system.

It's the unfortunate side effect of having an instant kill spell. Games like Persona evened this issue out with having Personas and equipments that repel the effects of it. I chalk it down to early RPG conventions, as I really can't think of any RPGs around that time that had that issue.

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

Derek Barona posted:

Taking the conversation away from Delta Shield and how useful/broken it and the oh my freaking god invincibility shield can be later on, I want to ask Travis about Discoveries and whether or not he plans on going for them as a main goal. Later stuff in the game aside, I always found myself really irked when I managed to find one and went to turn them in, only to find some other flying asshat had beaten me to it. Any thoughts?

While I won't be concerned at the timing of getting the discoveries, I do plan on finding as many discoveries as I can. Each of them are very interesting, plus if I want to get Domingo on my crew, getting a certain amount is very important.

to the other point, I might start skipping later in the LP, but since you guys are watching it, it's more epic if I leave them in....for now :P

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

Chimera-gui posted:

I was browsing Tumblr when I came across this, note who's standing right behind Mega Man:

You know, even if it's just a silly comic, the fact that there is a recent incarnation of anything Skies of Arcadia (and even partially Panzer Dragoon) makes me smile. Let me shoot a question to you guys. Do you think there should be a sequel to Skies of Arcadia? A part of me would like to see more from this world, but another part of me thinks that Skies of Arcadia endears itself by being stand alone and complete.

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

What makes Vyse an amazing lead protagonist to me is that he defies many stereotypes of the mold. His need to put himself in danger does not come from naiveté, but from his self confidence, and in the case of the visit to Valua a courage born from necessity. If he doesn't push himself against overwhelming odds, his friends and family would have died. In his mind, the attempt to save them wasn't a choice, it was necessity. Also, he can be truly sympathetic to the people he meets, and does his best to understand and be accepting of them.

Aika is a warm spirit, and although she doesn't think things out all the time, she is the heart of the crew. She expresses the highest range of emotions, and pairs well with Vyse by encouraging his adventurous behavior. She keeps a positive outlook on life despite the difficult life she experienced. Also, the connection between Vyse and Aika is one of the most natural and comfortable relationships in gaming in my opinion. Her relationship with Fina is like the highly social sister trying to get the shy sister out of her shell. She might get her in trouble sometimes, but they better each other in company.

Fina is defined by her honesty and inner-strength. I mean, just look at her honest viewpoint on Empress Teodora WHILE handcuffed! She is shy and knows little of the outside world, but she is respectful, mature, and not afraid to tell people how things are. She is not a helpless person by any means, but recognizes the fact that she can't do her mission by herself, and is willing to admit to that weakness.

...If it wasn't obvious, I love this game!

ALSO! I am leaving something up to vote in advance! I will be vague, but to those who played the game you should know what I am talking about. Which flag?
Cat?
Sword?
or Winged Dolphin?

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

Winged dolphin, always.

Edit: That said, you should probably wait until that part comes up until you have the vote. Or at least post the flags so that people who haven't played know what they're voting for.

I see you guy's point, but considering I record these things WAY in advance? Just easier to pick now. Also, you don't have to had play the game to vote. It's voting for a sword, dolphin, or cat. I think it's more interesting if people just take a risk and see what happens, like Vyse woulda done :P

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

Sadly, I have read recently that Sega is restructuring their company to focus on mobile and PC gaming as opposed to consoles, which means that it's VERY unlikely we will see any new things from Skies of Arcadia. This hurts, because it means that games like SoA, Panzer Dragoon, and Yakuza might have sang their swan song.

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

Rahonavis posted:

Here, have some doodles!

Notes: "Skies of Arcadia", which includes flying pirates and a horrible cute silver squishy transforming blob thing, was released in 2000. "Treasure Planet", which includes flying pirates and a horrible cute pink squishy transforming blob thing, was released in 2002. Hmmm...

Aika's faces are the best.

I'd imagine birdie-thing's "hairballs" aren't any more gross than owl pellets. Of course owl pellets are pretty gross...

I absolutely love the style! I could see a comedy comic series of Skies of Arcadia in this style.

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

Ardeem posted:

Man, the Cupil is avatar worthy. Good work on everything else too.

As the creator of this Lets Play, I decree that it is my new Skype avatar.

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

:argh: GET MORE DISCOVERIES YA LOUT.

NEVER!

also, once I have the Yafutoman engine, I am going to be spending some time gathering them up in larger amounts.

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

Your Fina art always brings a smile to my face :D
Also I am a little surprised by this point that we haven't come up with a good character for Aika, seeing as everyone else has one. She says plenty of goofy things anyway, so I suppose it evens out.

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

McKilligan posted:

I'm not sure how long Increm lasts, but if you'd cast increm on the last turn of the round before you fire the moonstone cannon, would it have boosted the damage?

If you could have supplemented that with a subcannon shot, you might have had a chance at one-shotting the looper.

Increm in ship form last for only two turns I believe! Its honestly what has often discouraged me from using it, as the Delphinus does a TON of damage normally anyway.

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

Not gonna lie, I pretty much referenced this clip the VERY first time this character was presented in the LP.

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

NullBlack posted:

No Temmie. Will you accept an agnostic Vyse?

The fact that Vyse is talking to Aika without looking at her is very much in character (also this is amazing!)

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

Ardeem posted:

You... missed Fina and Ramirez's rooms.

I mentioned that I was playing the game based on my memory, so things are inevitably going to be fallible. If I at least show 90% of the game I'll be doing pretty good. Which I do. I think.

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

This game has a way of muddling in thick areas of grey when it comes to motivation, mainly divided by philosophical perspective, often at its very core comprised of selfish desire.
It's also why this game is my favorite because this kind of characterization is amazing, and something I wish more mediums would utilize. :/ ESPECIALLY video games.

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Internet pick your ship eh?

I uh, said Bismark. Took that back and said Titanic. Doh'd and said Philadelphia.

I just can't win.

I prefer the cake ship. But that might be obvious.

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

JesterOfAmerica posted:

Yeah Vyse/Aika/Fina is the about the only poly relationship in any media.

I wouldn't go as far as to say their relationship is polyamorous. In fact, the closest thing to insinuate romanticism is a kiss to the cheek. I think its a much more defined story of three friends bonded forever, which is equally as rare in various forms of media. I mean, who has ever heard of two girls being friends with a guy without romanticism in the equation? (sarcasm)
The nice thing about the how the game develops is that there is a good amount of room for interpretation when it comes to what happens with the three AFTER the game, so there really isn't a right or wrong answer. It plants seeds more than grows flowers in that regard.

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

Oh I believe the final episode is going to give you PLENTY of material to work with!
Also I can only assume Cake Cupil is the secret final form

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

This was an absolute BLAST to play again, and I am glad you guys enjoyed it as much as I did. I do have to give a HUGE shout out to Tailsnick for giving me his old copy out of generosity. This wouldn't have been possible otherwise, so thank you so much!

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

Kassad posted:

It's really late since the LP's over, but today the Guardian published an article about Potosi, a city at the foot of the mountain that was the real world inspiration for the Moonstone Mountain in Ixa'Taka.

Cool observation! I feel like a lot of the places had a little bit of a basis on different real places (Rixis being SoAL's Machu Picchu)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

Akogare Zephyr posted:

Thank you so much for making this LP! This was a game I've always been interested in, but never had the opportunity to play this precious gem. I'm sad to see this end and wish there was more to this series. Golly, I'd be down for a racing game or like base/ship simulator or just whatever starring the SoA crew. Oh well. I'm pleased to be able to watch this from beginning to end and I imagine I'll watch it again in the future.

Here's a lil mini memorial for Drachma and a way of saying thanks for seeing this through to the end (kinda like Drachma actually):

Oh wow thank you! I am a huge fan of Drachma myself, and I love the feathers surrounding him. Maybe someday Sega will at least show its love to this series outside of the random cameos. One can only dream I suppose (Saving picture btw)

• Locked thread