Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
My father has a 15 year old dog that was recently diagnosed with liver cancer. He's been giving it an anti-nausea pill and something to boost it's appetite that the vet prescribed, but the dog still hardly eats anything. We've tried egg, bacon, lunch meats, chicken, dog treats, etc. It probably doesn't have long left to live given its age and cancer, but he's still getting around fine so I'm sure he'd live a bit longer if we could actually get him to eat something. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

McDonald's burgers from the drive through? Pizza? At this point, I'd be trying absolutely everything.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Generally when they're that old and sick and they stop eating it's because it's Time and there's usually not much you can do to stop it. I'm sorry OP. See if you can encourage a happy meal of something alifeless said, give him a great day and let him go before he collapses if you guys can. He's still up and about enough to give him that great day at this point. That's what's important.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Have you tried boiling some chicken with some veggies to make a broth, then mixing the broth, chicken & vegetables with some steamed rice? It's the go-to benign diet that I use when my dog seems to be off her feed and she always eats it very well.

Decembr
Jan 13, 2006
Go pick up a rack of beef ribs, make sure the date is fresh. My 4 1/2 year old rottie has lymphoma, and when we were in early chemo he didn't take his vincristine very well and would delay eating. Beef ribs, bone in, no cooking anything straight raw is a big help. When he has weird yellow powdery poop, its ok, thats just bone :V (calcium). On average I spend ~$8/$10 for a full rack and he gobbles em right up. Straight protein/bone is also good for cancer diets. You can just give a couple ribs for a meal. Also let your vet know that he isn't responding to the particular nausea med, we had to switch off our first med as well (we only used it once, sorry i don't remember the name of it)

Do not feed valueless (white) carbohydrates to dogs with cancer (or really, to any dog)
http://www.integrativeoncology-essentials.com/2012/07/anti-cancer-nutrition-sugar-and-carbohydrates-101/

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I'm sorry OP, I just lost my 15 year old dog to the same thing. She just stopped eating (suspected stomach tumor) and no amount of pills or coaxing or bacon could get her to eat. She dropped a lot of weight alarmingly fast, and then... it was time to let her go. There was just nothing else we could do. The pain killers and appetite stimulants worked for maybe a month, but they only really bought us a small amount of time.

It was heartbreaking.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
Yeah he hasn't really eaten much of anything for a few days and is clearly pretty out of it mentally, so we'll have to have him put down; 15 is a pretty ripe age for a dog.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm sorry to hear that. :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Narciss posted:

Yeah he hasn't really eaten much of anything for a few days and is clearly pretty out of it mentally, so we'll have to have him put down; 15 is a pretty ripe age for a dog.

15's terrific. Dude had a good life. Happy trails, pup.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

It's so hard to have to make that decision. Our thoughts are with you, for whatever that's worth. Give pup a snuggle for us.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

15 is great and you guys did a good job.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Fifteen is a good age, let the dog go with dignity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

This thread is depressing the poo poo out of me. My dog hasn't really been eating either from what I've been told and there's a problem with his liver too. I don't know if it's cancer or if it's cirrhosis or what because I am currently in Europe and won't be back to the states until the very end of April. His normal weight is between 90-100 pounds and he's currently at 75 after about a month or so. My mom said she started feeding him chicken but she's never been good at coaxing him to eat. He just turned 9 on sunday and if he's gone before I get back at the end of April I'm going to lose my poo poo. Until then I won't be able to stop worrying about him and my heart is constantly breaking and I can't stop crying :(

This is him from when he was a puppy

Eleanor Pwnsevelt fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 18, 2015

• Locked thread