Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Japanese girl band SCANDAL also put a Betty Boop shirt out this month which makes me wonder what is going on in Japan rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

Japanese girl band SCANDAL also put a Betty Boop shirt out this month which makes me wonder what is going on in Japan rn

Japan on the whole is a big fan of Americana. Have been for quite a while.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

RealFoxy posted:

Betty Boop comes back every twenty years or so as a counter culture sex symbol or Americana staple for various groups.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

just like mae young

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

So this old classic has reemerged on the WWE shop

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

gently caress yeah

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Karl Anderson's hot Asian wife was Betty Boop all this time!?! :aaa:

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I think that Betty Boop is a legal gray area about whether the character is public domain, so that's probably why she's on a Bullet Club shirt. That or Yujiro flew to the US and negotiated a sweet licensing deal to capitalize on the crossover appeal.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I think that Betty Boop is a legal gray area about whether the character is public domain, so that's probably why she's on a Bullet Club shirt. That or Yujiro flew to the US and negotiated a sweet licensing deal to capitalize on the crossover appeal.

You saw the copyright notice in The corner, right?

This is liscenced.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i think whatever company acquired betty boop from the original studios started asserting the character as a trademark so it is protected under trademark law, i.e. you can't create new works or images or shirts with the character as though she is in the public domain. however some of the original films and posters have entered the public domain so you could distribute those. anyway it's definitely an official collaboration

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Frankston posted:

So this old classic has reemerged on the WWE shop

poo poo I might have to actually buy this.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

All Japan has Popeye crossover merch. I think DDT also had some shirts featuring another old timey American cartoon character but I can't remember who.

I don't know why this is a thing and would love to find out.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

"character" goods and cute & loose mascots are a big deal in japan

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

DJExile posted:

gently caress yeah

No, no, it's hell yeah.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Just bought this. Shame I didn't get it yesterday.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Where'd you get that shirt from?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I also would like to know this, so I might buy it

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

SLUM KING posted:

All Japan has Popeye crossover merch. I think DDT also had some shirts featuring another old timey American cartoon character but I can't remember who.

I don't know why this is a thing and would love to find out.
It only makes sense for DDT because nothing makes sense for DDT.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Just bought this. Shame I didn't get it yesterday.

This is a good shirt only slightly marred by the fact that Austin looks like Ming the Merciless from the Flash Gordon movie.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Malcolm Excellent posted:

https://london-1888.myshopify.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Oh yeah, DDT had Tom & Jerry.

They also had Betty Boop and Popeye. And that girl on the Milky candy.

• Locked thread