Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I posted a thread on cold acclimatation a while ago and got interesting responses. In particular, one person told me about a dude at his school who went around barefoot everywhere and said to "not be that guy".

It got me thinking, and I did a bit of research and it seems like there's a sizeable community of people who go around barefoot all the time (barring extremely cold weather or where OSHA requires closed shoes). At first glance it looks stupid but thinking about it further I don't think it's that stupid.

There seems to be studies around the internet saying that people who don't wear shoes have better foot health. Hygiene could be a point of contention but on the other hand, shoes and socks are basically a petri dish for bacteria. Sure, feet get dirty but we have the means to wash them. Sure, stepping on sharp things will cut you but isn't this because our feet are soft due to basically a lifetime of shoe wearing? It looks like a case of chicken and egg: you wear shoes because your soles are soft, but your soles are soft due to shoe use.

At this point, social pressure looks like it would be the biggest problem associated with going barefoot all the time. I can get over it. Does anybody here do this? Is really the biggest problem risking to look like a moron / outcast and having people talk poo poo about you on the internet? Thanks for all input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Colonel J posted:

There seems to be studies around the internet saying that people who don't wear shoes have better foot health. Hygiene could be a point of contention but on the other hand, shoes and socks are basically a petri dish for bacteria. Sure, feet get dirty but we have the means to wash them. Sure, stepping on sharp things will cut you but isn't this because our feet are soft due to basically a lifetime of shoe wearing? It looks like a case of chicken and egg: you wear shoes because your soles are soft, but your soles are soft due to shoe use.

This certainly doesn't answer your question directly, but you might to consider why humans began to use shoes in the first place. The chicken/egg question can actually be answered here because we know for a fact that people definitely decided to begin wearing shoes a really, really long time ago (across nearly all cultures) and - obviously - weren't wearing them before. The shoes came before the "needing to wear shoes due to feet weakened through the constant use of shoes."

I'm guessing that it's due to the whole "stepping on sharp stuff" issue. Even if you have a good callus you're still going to gently caress yourself up if you step on glass or something (or a particularly sharp rock). It's just an unnecessary risk to take when you can just wear some sort of shoe.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 4, 2015

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

This certainly doesn't answer your question directly, but you might to consider why humans began to use shoes in the first place. The chicken/egg question can actually be answered here because we know for a fact that people definitely decided to begin wearing shoes a really, really long time ago (across nearly all cultures) and - obviously - weren't wearing them before. The shoes came before the "needing to wear shoes due to feet weakened through the constant use of shoes."

I'm guessing that it's due to the whole "stepping on sharp stuff" issue. Even if you have a good callus you're still going to gently caress yourself up if you step on glass or something (or a particularly sharp rock). It's just an unnecessary risk to take when you can just wear some sort of shoe.

This is certainly one of the reasons shoe use caught on - especially in our history and prehistory. Dangerous insects would be another concern. The thing is, 99% of my days are spent on very flat surfaces - sidewalks, streets, floors. I guess in making such a you have to start watching where you step a lot more. I'm pretty sure eventually you start seeing obstacles better in your peripheral vision, like people who spend all their time in the forest. I agree though that in many situations shoe use has to be inevitable.

I'm pretty sure a big part of is due to tradition though. Bare feet are unconsciously associated with being poor, and no one wants to look like a poor.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Enjoy looking like a hobbit and regularly destroying your feet on the huge quantities of sharp glass, metal, and plastics that are strewn across our post-neolithic world.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Op, you should try it for a few days and report back here.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Just wear loving shoes you dumbo.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Seriously, if 'there's lots of sharp stuff around, better not step on it with no protection' isn't enough for you I dunno.

There's a few of contexts not wearing shoes is a-ok: In your own home, walking on hot coals for some dumbshit self-affirmation crap or on the beach. Oh, bathing, showering or in bed (mostly) too I guess. Probably shouldn't need to be mentioned but, y'know, this thread.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 4, 2015

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I don't know man, there's just not that much sharp stuff around. I respect your opinion though and I don't mind a bit of risk-taking. I don't think I'm stupid for questioning this, and I'll certainly be trying it out when it gets warmer out. I've already walked around a bit barefoot at school and no one really cares.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

More power to you I guess but there is a reason most people in the world at least wear sandals. For sure there are exceptions but they mostly live in very specific circumstances i.e where shoes are more or less useless anyway since you'd be immersed in water and/or mud the whole time anyway and even they, there's often pretty nasty parasites that come in from the feet.

Considering how absolutely filthy pavements and streets are though, I assume you live in a town or city, I'm not sure why you'd even want to try.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I gotta admit, a big part of it is that I like these crazy challenges that don't seem to make any sense. It's just so ingrained in us that wearing shoes is awesome, and indeed it is often. I just wouldn't mind having a pair I put on when it's really necessary and letting'em hang free the rest of the time. I really hate buying shoes too. I'll probably get over it eventually and brush it off as silly, but reading on the people who do do it, they look really happy.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Nobody challenged you to keep your shoes on, you twat.

Mr. Welfare
Feb 12, 2009

Centrelink's Finest
Attempted this in high school.

I think I still have a shard of glass in my foot.

Not recommended.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
When I worked in the city, there was a guy who walked around without shoes. He was an otherwise normal person, just didn't wear shoes. He had the most disgusting, black poo poo covered feet I had ever seen. It looked as if he walked to the CBD through a coal mine. I mean the streets where clean from glass and whatnot, but it couldn't have been healthy.

Everybody knew him, but nobody had anything nice to say about him. Even the more hippy people thought it was utterly disgusting. I know we should be accepting of people's strange choices, but how can you not feel disgusted when somebody comes in with the most revolting feet you have ever seen.

Mr. Welfare posted:

Not recommended.

What kind of left wing hippy school let you do that?

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

Have you considered Unshoes? You would get the minimal footwear experience because they are sandals with paper thin soles but your feet won't be subjected to dirt and debris.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 4, 2015

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

You're going to get some kind of horrible footworm that eats your brain.

hooray4hawksbills
May 11, 2013
http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/strongyloidiasis

Here you go OP, you are going to get worms in your lungs! :) I think that's all I need to know about going barefoot, but if you DO get lungworms please make a post about it.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Pixelated Dragon posted:

Have you considered Unshoes? You would get the minimal footwear experience because they are sandals with paper thin soles but your feet won't be subjected to dirt and debris.

At this point I'd rather wear sandals, and I already do from basically May to September.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

You're going to get some kind of horrible footworm that eats your brain.

hooray4hawksbills posted:

Here you go OP, you are going to get worms in your lungs! I think that's all I need to know about going barefoot, but if you DO get lungworms please make a post about it.

According to this page, no, seeing how I live in Canada. This poo poo is reserved to contaminated soil in sub-tropical climate.

Lord Windy posted:

When I worked in the city, there was a guy who walked around without shoes. He was an otherwise normal person, just didn't wear shoes. He had the most disgusting, black poo poo covered feet I had ever seen. It looked as if he walked to the CBD through a coal mine. I mean the streets where clean from glass and whatnot, but it couldn't have been healthy.

Everybody knew him, but nobody had anything nice to say about him. Even the more hippy people thought it was utterly disgusting. I know we should be accepting of people's strange choices, but how can you not feel disgusted when somebody comes in with the most revolting feet you have ever seen.

A good point! Fortunately, feet are way more easy to wash than shoes.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Colonel J posted:

A good point! Fortunately, feet are way more easy to wash than shoes.

I think you missed the point in a big way, nobody liked this guy. He was a normal dude in every other way, but as the day went on his feet got worse and everything thought he was a wierdo.

If you honestly care so little about your appearance that this is OK than go ahead.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

So why do you actually want to do this? To be whacky? You alluded to it maybe being 'a challenge' but it's not exactly a challenge to not put shoes on in the morning.

I mean, I'm pretty sure the consequences of going barefoot are pretty clear. What did you want from this thread?

Mr. Welfare
Feb 12, 2009

Centrelink's Finest

Lord Windy posted:

What kind of left wing hippy school let you do that?

A bit of clarification. I attempted to barefoot during my teenage years, not literally at high school.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

NLJP posted:

So why do you actually want to do this? To be whacky? You alluded to it maybe being 'a challenge' but it's not exactly a challenge to not put shoes on in the morning.

I mean, I'm pretty sure the consequences of going barefoot are pretty clear. What did you want from this thread?

Some people do it; I wanted to see if there were any here. I want to do it because I don't really like wearing shoes and there's a simple alternative, which strangely is heavily shunned, up to the point of insulting people who do it. I've also read that some studies show that some old rear end humans who barely wore shoes had better structural foot health. I also like pushing my body's limits and I'm exploring phasing out means of "comfort" we take for granted (for example cold showers). I don't particularly enjoy being wacky, actually i think it would be great if it were more socially accepted.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
What is it with people who just have to let their precious goddamn feet be free?

What does "better foot health" even mean? I wear shoes and socks everyday and my feet are clean, comfortable, safe, warm, dry, and I fit in. What could be better?

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

It's really a thing. http://www.barefooters.org/

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
No, it shouldn't be more accepted. This isn't taking your shoes off to run around the park we're talking about here, or not wearing shoes when you go to the beach. This is more like giving up wearing deodorant levels of filthy.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Human Tornada posted:

What is it with people who just have to let their precious goddamn feet be free?

What does "better foot health" even mean? I wear shoes and socks everyday and my feet are clean, comfortable, safe, warm, dry, and I fit in. What could be better?

This is an example.

im gay posted:

The pathological lesions found in the metatarsals of the three recent human groups generally appeared to be more severe than those found in the pre-pastoral group. This result may support the hypothesis that pathological variation in the metatarsus was affected by habitual behaviour including the wearing of footwear and exposure to modern substrates.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug
Maybe you should just take the middle ground and wear those dumb Vibram fivefingers toeshoes. You get the benefit of not contracting brainworms or tetanus, but you can still look like an idiot.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Gonna wash your feet in public restrooms?

Bottom line, if you do this you will absolutely be "that guy" to everyone.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Put on clean socks, changing them mid-day if necessary, and wear shoes that fit correctly and provide proper arch support. Your feet will be a bazillion times healthier than if you go swanning about barefoot through parking lots.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Unless you wash your feet many times every day, they're going to get disgusting. Hell, maybe even then. It doesn't take long for your feet to get completely covered in dirt and grime. If you left your house and walked a mile to your work (or wherever) they'd be pretty nasty by the time you got there.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Op, you should try paleo-dieting and crossfit too, they help on cold acclimation.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Mr. Welfare posted:

Not recommended.

I did the same thing, but in college. Picking clear glass out of a bloody foot is no fun at all.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Get back to us when you lose your first toe walking to the shops

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Colonel J posted:

shoes are ruining the quality of our feet :supaburn:
A lot of people have lovely feet because they wear lovely shoes that don't fit, and wear them well after all the support is shot. Wear properly-fitted shoes, and replace them on a reasonable schedule. Problem solved.

quote:

Hygiene could be a point of contention but on the other hand, shoes and socks are basically a petri dish for bacteria.
That's true(heat and humidity will do that), but that doesn't matter unless you're regularly breeaking the skin on your feet. I'd guess 99% of the bacteria lurking in your socks and shoes are normal skin inhabitants that came from your feet in the first place. Most people also let their feet and shoes air out for most of the evening/night, which helps things a lot. There's a reason you don't hear about the average person magically getting a bunch of gross infections down there.

On the flip side, an unshod foot will walk through all manner of dirt and grime that's much less sanitary than whatever's on your socks. It also has to deal with more things that can break its skin open(rocks, glass shards, stray nails, etc), and breaks in the skin give bacteria and fungi a handy route to infect you.

And most importantly: Most people will look at you weird if you don't wear shoes. Not wearing shoes has questionable benefits, so why turn yourself into That Weird Barefoot Guy? You'd be stuck wearing shoes at work anyway, unless you had an extremely cool boss. Or worked at a hippie commune, I guess.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 4, 2015

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Maybe if I lived on the beach.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Move to New Zealand OP nobody has shoes there.

afterhours
Jul 1, 2007
There was a shoeless hippie girl in my high school. God the smell...

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'd suggest watching a few episodes of "Dual Survival" on the discovery channel. Observe how pretentious the main guy is about being barefoot all the time and observe how often it ends up slowing them down or getting him hurt, or just being unnecessarily uncomfortable in general. Do you really want to be that guy?

It's silly, unnecessary, and serves no real purpose besides having something to feel superior/unique about and lord over other people about how ~connected to Nature~ you are.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
My mother's been down a toe since 1969. She rode a bike barefoot while out playing, lost control, and the spokes of the front wheel lopped off the pinky toe on her right foot. Her dad offered a $5 bounty to all the local kids to recover it from the nearby bushes but they found it a full day later, far too late to reattach it. As a kid it was all the visual I needed to persuade me to wear shoes outside with the exception of standing around on manicured suburban lawns. Now I see it as an evolutionary tradeoff where weird foot callouses at age 40 are totally worth not dying of sepsis at age 4.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Sometimes when I'm super drunk and think it's such a great idea I walk the last kilometer of my way home from a bar barefoot since it's almost all lawn (there's one road I need to cross). I haven't stepped in glass or poop or something yet but I'll try to stop while I'm still on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

OP, it seems like you think the chances of something going wrong are very slim.

• Locked thread