Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Dual survival is nothing but reality TV. Of course I'm going to wear shoes next time I'm atop a glacier. Lundin hasn't worn shoes for the length of my life and he seems to be doing fine. He does wear some whenever he's required, but treats it as optional the rest of the time, which it is.

I do think the risks of something going wrong are slim, for a few reasons. First is this type of changehas to be done slowly and responsibly, so your body can acclimate. It requires paying attention to where you step, which is why doing it when you're out drinking is shoddy. Most of the anecdotes given here happened when the subject was a child, which I'm not anymore and definitely gives me an edge, much like you couldn't trust a child with a chainsaw.

Anyway,I read a bit and apparently public transit here forbids it. I do have a really cool boss who would let me get away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Don't listen to the haters, go bare.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Colonel J posted:

Dual survival is nothing but reality TV. Of course I'm going to wear shoes next time I'm atop a glacier. Lundin hasn't worn shoes for the length of my life and he seems to be doing fine. He does wear some whenever he's required, but treats it as optional the rest of the time, which it is.

I never said it wasn't, I was more pointing to the fact that he, being a major barefoot activist, comes off as a pretentious rear end about it and I think some of your stated reasons for wanting to do it are as questionable as his are.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

If shoes are bad for your feet then by the same logic clothes must be bad for the rest of your body.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

Sweevo posted:

If shoes are bad for your feet then by the same logic clothes must be bad for the rest of your body.

A lot of people have problems with their feet because they wear ill-fitting footwear that lacks proper arch support or ventilation. Traipsing around barefoot in parking lots isn't the solution. Once he steps on a rough piece of gravel he'll probably change his mind.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 4, 2015

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Sweevo posted:

I like your reasoning and where this is going.

Join the ranks of the people who also don't use shampoo because of the sulfates. Go above and beyond the 'once or twice a week is enough' casuals and the 'all natural ingredients' granola guys/girls and only wash your hair with water. All the normal skin oils will make your scalp much healthier.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
I used to run barefoot, but I also lived in a small town in interior BC, so the worst I had to contend with was inconveniently shaped small rocks. When I moved to Vancouver I tried out the toe shoes, but they fit me poorly and looked retarded. Eventually found other shoes that fit a similar slot.

That said, being barefoot ~all the time~ in a modern environment just makes you look like a dirty piece of poo poo, unless you live in a hot, arid, place, with sand instead of soil. Anything else will grind its way into your soles and stain them over time.

If you're interested in a lighter shoe/more barefoot feel without looking like a twat, Merrel makes their "glove" series shoes, and I'm sure New Balance and some others have.

But really people that go barefoot are just doing it for the same reason go paleo; idiocy and elitism.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
I went barefoot when I was a kid. After a few months of running down the side walk and the street in summer will make your feet into leather. For the first week or two though 120 degree pavement and asphalt hurt like hell. Having to scrap melted tar off your feet because the heat literally melted the streets sucks rear end.

I say go barefoot around your house and the block but don't go out to stores or work.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
This reminds me of that thread where the guy wanted to try toe-heel walking because Drizzt Do'Urden did it.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
There really is an interesting streak of better-thaning by refusing things that people who are hurting desperately want/need. I slot anti-vaxxers, nudists, vegans, tea-totalers and now...bare-footers in the same category. Also comes with a healthy side-dish of bullshit 'health' claims and conspiracy.

You are under the common, but mistaken impression that anybody wants to talk with you about the things you don't do. They may do it, but only because they are waiting for the chance to tell you about the things _they_ don't do (or because they are making fun of you).

That said, nobody makes you wear shoes in your house, or your yard, or even the dog park. So you can unshoe your little heart out without even being an enormous freak about it.

In my home, school, place of business, or house of worship, you keep your clothes on.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 4, 2015

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

The Dregs posted:

This reminds me of that thread where the guy wanted to try toe-heel walking because Drizzt Do'Urden did it.

I Googled drizzit toe heel walk and sa thread was the second result.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough
Let's see what people do where it's warm enough to go shoeless if you want, and leather shoes of any sort are too expensive for most:

African tyre shoes:

Still better than nothing at all:

I know that we've all been immunised to the eyeballs against tetanus, that Madura foot is only an issue in tropical and subtropical regions, and that hookworm has been nearly eradicated in the USA (you're fairly safe from it in Canada), but personally, I'm still in favour of shoes.

Also, remember how blisters pain you after a long hike, and what a mad relief it is to pop them with a needle? The pain is nothing compared to what you get if you develop blisters under the non-expanding armour of a keratinised callus, as I learned after I'd barefooted it over the gravel paths of my parents' garden for a whole summer, confident that blisters would never bother me again. Over-enthusiastic army recruits who marinate their soles in surgical spirit – another way to harden them up – have learned the same thing, generation after generation.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I'm a degenerate hippy and even I think going everywhere barefoot is disgusting and profoundly unhygenic.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Good luck ever getting laid if your feet look and smell disgusting because you go barefoot everywhere.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

PT6A posted:

Good luck ever getting laid if your feet look and smell disgusting because you go barefoot everywhere.

It's called a 'patina'

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Right, not getting vaccinated is the same as not wearing shoes. Gotcha.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Colonel J posted:

So which other useful technology are you going to reject for no very good reason next?

edit: I had a whole thing here about how unlikely it is that a no shoes at all situation would be useful for those marginal cases for which the average modern shoe is actively damaging in a european/north american context, rather than a more specifically designed shoe but thought that was goddamn silly really because poo poo, son, think a little. At least some sort of covering is the minimum smart thing if it's available surely?

I'm not totally dismissing the idea that bare feet might be better in some situations some people might face every day but Occam's razor applies so this seems very unlikely.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 5, 2015

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
IIRC, most of the benefits you get from going barefoot have to do with posture and strength (or something like that). Thick shoes are probably not ideal, but neither is the risk of infection from getting a massive cut while barefoot. Shoes with thin and flexible soles will most likely get the job done just as well. Check out Feiyues(the type the parkour guys use). They're comfortable and criminally cheap.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I'm running out of ways to tell you that you might as well just throw your stove out the window and eat your hamburger helper raw, you maniac.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Darth Freddy posted:

I went barefoot when I was a kid. After a few months of running down the side walk and the street in summer will make your feet into leather. For the first week or two though 120 degree pavement and asphalt hurt like hell. Having to scrap melted tar off your feet because the heat literally melted the streets sucks rear end.

I did this too and sometimes still wish I could run across a gravel driveway at full speed in total comfort.

Then when I was a teenager I stubbed my toe so hard the nail fell off and gently caress ever having that happen again. I wear shoes to protect my toes, the soles I am not too worried about.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Hogge Wild posted:

Don't listen to the haters, go bare.

I go barefoot outside of work/stores/biking/skateboarding during the three seasons. But I live in bumfuck mountainville, am a speedy rear end in a top hat to hike with when the kids come along and need to make myself slow down/make the hike more challenging, and gently caress the haters Mssrs. Sawyer Finn and Baggins rubbed off on me. Also, I just like it even if I do keep crosstrainers or sandals handy.

An upbringing with anti-shoe pro-sandal doctor and sensei who forced me to jog dragging my feet to build callous probably had some to do with it, as well.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy

Colonel J posted:

Here we see another hallmark of the gradual decline of a "bad idea thread."

As the OP gets continuously and ruthlessly burned, he no longer has the time or ability to respond to individual attackers. Now, his only recourse is to toss out short, hyperbolic straw man attacks at the most brutal burns he has sustained. From here, there is only the cold solace of the gas chamber or a ban.

We can only imagine how much the poster yearns for the dark solitude of anonymity. In the future, he is sure to lurk more and post less.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

bunnielab posted:

I did this too and sometimes still wish I could run across a gravel driveway at full speed in total comfort.

Then when I was a teenager I stubbed my toe so hard the nail fell off and gently caress ever having that happen again. I wear shoes to protect my toes, the soles I am not too worried about.

I did this when I was young, for a while, too. My feet got super tough and my pain tolerance over all went up very noticeably. I tried to keep doing it in the winter but that was a bad idea. I stopped for some reason probably because it was dumb to begin with. A few years ago I tried walking over lose gravel barefoot and I couldn't believe how lovely it was when once upon a time I couldn't feel it at all. :shrug:

OP its a stupid idea but the odds of anything really bad coming from it are pretty low so IMO try it now because you won't live forever either way

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy

Colonel J posted:

You just need to get acclimated to the harsh temperature of these burns. Soon you will build a hard, black callus around your soul to match the one you aspire to build on your feet.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

Also beware of the mesquite thorn and bush/tree

Can get over a inch long and go through a tractor tire. Also they are poisonous.

Not to forget the smaller but just as painful goat head.

The smaller but much bore abundant friend who is the cause of many flat tires for bikes and even cars! The sticker.

Also it's thorns are barbed so a bitch to pull out.

All of these can be found just in my yard not to mention the rest of town, parks, fields near the stores so in the stores.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Walking barefoot through thick mud while on acid is pretty awesome, tho

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Zorblack posted:

You just need to get acclimated to the harsh temperature of these burns. Soon you will build a hard, black callus around your soul to match the one you aspire to build on your feet.

How does that affect you so much that you feel the need to quote me twice?

Anyways, point taken, it wasn't that good of an idea. I'll still probably try and work on hardening my soles, which I still think is a good idea, but I won't go barefoot everywhere.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
OP, one month from now:

[Tell] me how to improve my night vision

I've been reading a lot about this thing called night walking, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to see better, at night?

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Arnold of Soissons posted:

OP, one month from now:

[Tell] me how to improve my night vision

I've been reading a lot about this thing called night walking, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to see better, at night?

I've been eating so many loving carrots man...

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Just get a pair of chacos or something and wear those 24/7.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

You can do it OP. All the people telling you otherwise are just shills paid for by Big Shoe

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Go barefoot. It lets people find out how much of a loving loser you are without having to hear your retarded voice.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
I believe in you op, remove your shoes.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I run around my yard barefoot all the time and have for years but even my worthless insane rear end doesn't go to the store barefoot or run around the block barefoot. Put some goddamn shoes on. At least flipflops.

electricmonk500
May 6, 2007
You backwards-rear end, technology-hating, hippy bitch. I am sick with rage. Ohh boy, I can't wait for you to take off your shoes, because you are not long for this world, scum. Ever heard of glass? Broken glass? Even if you look where you're going there's no way to avoid it. There's a reason our ancestors invented shoes, so you wear them, you poo poo.

(Meanwhile a thread in support of fountain pens has 124 pages and is excellently received.)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I wear shoes basically... to work, and when hiking, and when going around the city, and that's it. I don't particularly like shoes, I've never worn a pair I'd call particularly comfortable (as opposed to ignorably uncomfortable, and I tried the vibrams and the toes on them are just too short, very uncomfortable), and even then my shoes only last like... 4-6 months before wearing out. I don't want to have to buy more than three pairs of shoes a year so I'm fine only wearing them when I feel its appropriate and no more. Plus I like feeling what I'm walking on most of the time, I'm probably just a fledgling autist or some poo poo but I like feeling things as I move around. Tromping barefoot through puddles and mud and snow and stuff is actually pretty fun in moderation, though I do that pretty rarely.

So I generally don't wear shoes outside of my daily commute and regular hikes. (I actually keep them off under my desk too as if anyone gives a poo poo but since the OP asked for advice hey guess what you can take them off under your desk at work too and then get most of the benefits of them not being in shoes while still being able to walk around in shoes). I even do it outside a lot and in the water even though I've cut my feet open more than once while submerged because gently caress those dumb water shoes.

I don't see why someone would refuse to wear shoes ever that sounds dumb though. There are good reasons for shoes, both social and physical. I would not want to hiking through the underbrush without shoes, or walk down certain streets in my town even. Not wearing shoes does not make you a better human being. Not feeling like you have to wear them everywhere might make you a happier one but that's mostly for you to figure out.

Basically, shoes are like coats, where them when it's appropriate it and take them off when you don't need them and it doesn't matter.

Slo-Tek posted:

In my home, school, place of business, or house of worship, you keep your clothes on.
Although in my home you're taking your goddamn shoes off at the door like a civilized human being instead of tracking poo poo everywhere.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 5, 2015

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Although in my home you're taking your goddamn shoes off at the door like a civilized human being instead of tracking poo poo everywhere.

Honestly this is a big pro-shoe point. Get your shoe all lovely, get home and pop them off at the door. Bam.

Though I guess that sentiment makes me a weeaboo freak in some places.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

I wear shoes basically... to work, and when hiking, and when going around the city, and that's it. I don't particularly like shoes, I've never worn a pair I'd call particularly comfortable (as opposed to ignorably uncomfortable, and I tried the vibrams and the toes on them are just too short, very uncomfortable), and even then my shoes only last like... 4-6 months before wearing out. I don't want to have to buy more than three pairs of shoes a year so I'm fine only wearing them when I feel its appropriate and no more. Plus I like feeling what I'm walking on most of the time, I'm probably just a fledgling autist or some poo poo but I like feeling things as I move around. Tromping barefoot through puddles and mud and snow and stuff is actually pretty fun in moderation, though I do that pretty rarely.

So I generally don't wear shoes outside of my daily commute and regular hikes. (I actually keep them off under my desk too as if anyone gives a poo poo but since the OP asked for advice hey guess what you can take them off under your desk at work too and then get most of the benefits of them not being in shoes while still being able to walk around in shoes). I even do it outside a lot and in the water even though I've cut my feet open more than once while submerged because gently caress those dumb water shoes.

I don't see why someone would refuse to wear shoes ever that sounds dumb though. There are good reasons for shoes, both social and physical. I would not want to hiking through the underbrush without shoes, or walk down certain streets in my town even. Not wearing shoes does not make you a better human being. Not feeling like you have to wear them everywhere might make you a happier one but that's mostly for you to figure out.

Basically, shoes are like coats, where them when it's appropriate it and take them off when you don't need them and it doesn't matter.

Why do filthy Americans wear their shoes in their own homes?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Hogge Wild posted:

Why do filthy Americans wear their shoes in their own homes?

They are in the pocket of Big Vacuum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

beejay posted:

Gonna wash your feet in public restrooms?

Just stick each foot into the toilet and flush a few times. Brand spankin new and easier to clean than shoes!

• Locked thread