Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I walked about a block in wool socks on snow in -16C weather yesterday night. Felt good, I certainly will try again with longer distances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I had to go barefoot on one foot for a while because of this whole issue with my toenail and dropping a bottle on it; long story short, it was very gross. Anyway, would not recommend it, 0/10.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I once built a shoe out of a bucket and a wristwatch. I'm dropping the blueprints to you now, along with some spare buckets and an assortment of watches.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Aren't you just trashing the poo poo out of your socks, OP? Even just walking around the house will put holes in and wear through them, put on shoes or take off the socks is the conventional wisdom.

Perhaps you have a billion pairs of plasticy cheap rear end socks..

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

I've done the full time barefoot for a while in college, and also worn various kinds of shoes. In my experience, its best to have a shoe with wide toe box and minimal heel to toe drop. If you're on grass or soft dirt, barefoot is fine. Its good to do a little bit of exercise barefoot, but if you're like me and move athletic amounts, having some protection for feet is important because of the volume of stress placed on them. It sounds like you're not hugely athletic, so just keep doing a little bit to get stronger foot muscles. Being barefoot is a lot about being more in tune with your movement, so its important to listen when your intuition says to put shoes on, as well

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Tony Montana posted:

Aren't you just trashing the poo poo out of your socks, OP? Even just walking around the house will put holes in and wear through them, put on shoes or take off the socks is the conventional wisdom.

Perhaps you have a billion pairs of plasticy cheap rear end socks..

I don't know, I guess so but I don't tend to really drag my feet across the ground either way. I've pretty much always been in socks around the house and yeah, they'll get worn out but to me that's standard degradation.

I actually walked from my work to my place recently in -15C weather wearing only socks, a 2.5 km walk alternating asphalt, slush, snow and ice. Had a great time, it's a hell of a rush. My feet were pretty numb at the end but I was nowhere near frostbite. A++ would recommend.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

Vibrams fit poorly and scrunch up my toes, what should I do? Should I buy a pair and just cut the toe holes off? That might work. Good idea.

I'm unsure if you're joking or not, but there's a bunch of alternatives to vibram out there at this point, you should try one of them, or maybe try a different size of vibram or something. I don't know.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

surc posted:

I'm unsure if you're joking or not, but there's a bunch of alternatives to vibram out there at this point, you should try one of them, or maybe try a different size of vibram or something. I don't know.

Yes I was joking. I did have to cut up the pair I tried in order to get them to fit, but I did not cut the toes off completely, I just made some modifications. They still very very poorly.

As far as alternatives go, it doesn't matter. All of them are built for the same foot shape, because something like 85% of the population has the same foot shape. When you get one of the single digit frequency variants, you are already a niche just to get regular shoes, no one is likely to bother making a niche of a niche, or at least I haven't seen anyone marketing to it yet.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
They might as well call these idiot toe shoes "aspergers'.

"i want to go to the lan party, where did I leave my pair of aspergers?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanzio037
Dec 9, 2013
I had to do a couple miles in downtown Portland barefooted due to my flip flops leather strap rubbing the top of my foot raw. All in all, my feet from top to bottom were fubar for the next couple of days.

• Locked thread