Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

I grew up in a city where nobody needed a car to get around. My parents had a car but they rarely used it. When they did it was just when we would go out of town. I didn't grow up seeing my parents drive on a daily basis. Even being in cars with other people and watching them drive is alien to me. Now I am in my late twenties and my spouse's career has moved us to the middle of nowhere. I don't want to be completely reliant upon him for transportation and I'll need to get a job anyway, mainly just to not be sitting at home all day. I passed the written test and got my learner's permit. My first lesson with a driving teacher is scheduled for a couple weeks from now.

I am very nervous about it. Not only is it something completely new but I was in a bad car wreck as a child. I realize now that it had a more profound effect than I thought because I am feeling very anxious about it. I suppose knowing that there others out there who learned to drive later in life will put my mind at ease.

I will also be learning to drive in very snowy, icy conditions. Does anyone have experience with being a beginner driver in bad road conditions?

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Don't worry. Nothing we let 16 year-olds do unsupervised could possibly be very hard.

The most important part of learning to drive is to not drive yourself up the wall stressing about it. You're gonna suck at it, but it isn't like your instructor is expecting Mario Andretti. Take some degree of reassurance from the fact that as a not-teenager you will be much better at not being a retard and overestimating your ability to not drive into trees.

Pro-Tip: Don't try to stay between the lines. The harder you try, the harder it gets, and while you're staring at the line 3' in front of your hood you'll probably rear-end somebody. Aim for the middle of your lane, and keep your eyes up. People tend to drive where they're looking.

Edit: Seriously, this guy's job is teaching literal retards to be safe drivers. Your post contains proper grammar and punctuation, you are already in the top 1%.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.
I got my driver's license for the first time at the age of 28. If you have a good instructor who makes you feel comfortable, then you won't have any issues.

Driving is not that hard. A lot of it boils down to, know where your car is, drive predictably and anticipate what others around you will do. I learned to drive in California so I can't speak to driving in snow, but as long as you stay calm and control your car, you will be fine.

One thing you should start planning for now is the impact this will have on your insurance. My husband and I saw our insurance triple once I was licensed, and there are zero discounts that you will be eligible for that someone younger and single would be able to seek. I've had my license for 3.5 years now, and I finally have a good driver discount.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I relearned to drive in a Massachusetts winter after 25 years of not driving. Be open about your concerns with the driving instructor, that's my biggest piece of advice. The instructor has certainly heard them before.

You'll be fine! Staying calm, listening to the instructor, and asking for help with the stuff you don't get are all important.

What Rent-A-Cop said about "the car will go where you're looking" is absolutely diamond-encrusted gold truth that would reduce the number of road accidents dramatically if people just paid attention to it. "Don't go faster than feels safe to you" is another one, though while you're learning it's fine to check in with the instructor on how fast they think you should be going in any given situation/road conditions.

The biggest downside to learning to drive during a snowy, icy winter is that it's harder to find cleared parking lots to practice stuff like three-point turns in.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

vanessa posted:

I got my driver's license for the first time at the age of 28. If you have a good instructor who makes you feel comfortable, then you won't have any issues.

Driving is not that hard. A lot of it boils down to, know where your car is, drive predictably and anticipate what others around you will do. I learned to drive in California so I can't speak to driving in snow, but as long as you stay calm and control your car, you will be fine.

One thing you should start planning for now is the impact this will have on your insurance. My husband and I saw our insurance triple once I was licensed, and there are zero discounts that you will be eligible for that someone younger and single would be able to seek. I've had my license for 3.5 years now, and I finally have a good driver discount.

We discussed it briefly. I didn't think the rates would go up that much since I'm not a teenager and I joked that this was the bright side of getting licensed eleven years after most people do. Crap.

I think you can add people as 'occasional drivers' or something.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 4, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

I'm not sure we would if the premium will skyrocket. If you lend your car to your brother for a few days and he crashes it then the damages are still covered because the policy follows the vehicle, not the driver (edit). This happened to a couple people I know who let friends or family use their cars. My husband will basically be lending his car to me when I need to use it. That will not happen very frequently for a while.

Can anyone who knows more about auto insurance chime in on this?

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 4, 2015

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Pixelated Dragon posted:

I'm not sure we would if the premium will skyrocket. If you lend your car to your brother for a few days and he crashes it then the damages are still covered because the policy follows the vehicle, not the car. This happened to a couple people I know who let friends or family use their cars. My husband will basically be lending his car to me when I need to use it. That will not happen very frequently for a while.

Can anyone who knows more about auto insurance chime in on this?

That's not how it works. A married couple who both have drivers' licenses are assumed to both be regular drivers of the vehicle, even if that's not the case, so the insurance is based on both persons' driving records.

Ours didn't go up that much, though. But there's no need to speculate: call the insurance agent and they can tell you exactly how much it will be.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Get into a defensive driving class after you've done all the licensing stuff. Depending on your state, insurers are required to give you a minimum discount for taking the class, but even without a state law requiring it, most insurers will give you a discount. It's like $25 and an afternoon of your time. It cut my insurance rate about $10 a month. I also found it to be helpful in making me a better driver and reminding me of things I didn't remember from driver's ed/wasn't taught.

I went from being in my early 20s and petrified of driving my small car on residential streets to a few years later driving students in the largest vehicle I can legally drive without a CDL across the state, and while I still have a tendency to hate driving, it's really not that bad.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I learned to drive in the UK last year at the age of 31 last year, having never sat behind the wheel of a car before. Upon beginning to take lessons, my instructor told me that it would likely take more hours of practice for me to pass my test than it would for a 17 year old. He said that on average it takes two hours of lessons per year of age, and although it didn't take quite as long, the estimate wasn't far off. According to him, this is down to two reasons. Firstly, a mature brain takes longer to assimilate a new set of reflexes. The second reason according to him is that having successfully survived to full adulthood without being crushed, electrocuted, squashed etc, older learners have a more developed sense of risk. While a 17 year old would simply blindly follow the instructions of their instructor, certain of their own sense of immortality, an individual with more life experience is much more likely to question, and as such learn at a slower pace.

My instructor said that he preferred to teach older learners for this second reason, as he knew they would learn slowly but surely, and that he could usually rely on their sense of self preservation to stop them from taking risks. My main advice would be to shop around for an instructor you're comfortable with. Different instructors teach in different ways, and it is possible that your first instructor might not suit your learning style, even if he is an otherwise good teacher. Take a couple of lessons with your instructor just to see if you're comfortable with him. If you aren't, switch instructor. A good instructor will expect this to happen from time to time, and may even be able to reccommend somebody more suitable.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Soylent Yellow posted:

I learned to drive in the UK last year at the age of 31 last year, having never sat behind the wheel of a car before. Upon beginning to take lessons, my instructor told me that it would likely take more hours of practice for me to pass my test than it would for a 17 year old. He said that on average it takes two hours of lessons per year of age, and although it didn't take quite as long, the estimate wasn't far off. According to him, this is down to two reasons. Firstly, a mature brain takes longer to assimilate a new set of reflexes. The second reason according to him is that having successfully survived to full adulthood without being crushed, electrocuted, squashed etc, older learners have a more developed sense of risk. While a 17 year old would simply blindly follow the instructions of their instructor, certain of their own sense of immortality, an individual with more life experience is much more likely to question, and as such learn at a slower pace.

My instructor said that he preferred to teach older learners for this second reason, as he knew they would learn slowly but surely, and that he could usually rely on their sense of self preservation to stop them from taking risks. My main advice would be to shop around for an instructor you're comfortable with. Different instructors teach in different ways, and it is possible that your first instructor might not suit your learning style, even if he is an otherwise good teacher. Take a couple of lessons with your instructor just to see if you're comfortable with him. If you aren't, switch instructor. A good instructor will expect this to happen from time to time, and may even be able to reccommend somebody more suitable.

Do teenagers really take massive risks in the car while they are accompanied by their instructors? I suppose that's unsurprising.

I'm already signed up for ten lessons. I'm sure if I really don't click with the guy for some reason I could just pay for the one and not stick with him. After the third lesson or so, I should feel comfortable enough to drive short distances with my husband. The only way to get more confident is through practice.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Pixelated Dragon posted:

Do teenagers really take massive risks in the car while they are accompanied by their instructors? I suppose that's unsurprising.

I'm already signed up for ten lessons. I'm sure if I really don't click with the guy for some reason I could just pay for the one and not stick with him. After the third lesson or so, I should feel comfortable enough to drive short distances with my husband. The only way to get more confident is through practice.

Most probably don't, but I think what he was trying to stress is that they tend to push the boundaries of their ability a bit more. Don't try and rush things. You'll get the confidence thing in time. Most of it is in realising that a car is actually engineered to be easy to drive, and isn't just a ton of inert metal.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I learned to drive in the UK when I was 34, because we moved somewhere where it would be pretty much impossible (or at least a complete pain in the arse) for me to take my kid to nursery without being able to drive. It took about 6 months of weekly lessons plus practicing with my husband between times. I'm really glad that I did though - I'd always thought I'd be too scared to drive properly and be a nervous wreck but it's been fine. The first time I had to drive past a crash was horrible though.

Our car insurance actually went down when it was for both of us rather than just my husband even when I still only had a provisional license. Not by a huge amount but it was cheaper to insure the both of us than just him.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I learned to drive in the UK when I was 34, because we moved somewhere where it would be pretty much impossible (or at least a complete pain in the arse) for me to take my kid to nursery without being able to drive. It took about 6 months of weekly lessons plus practicing with my husband between times. I'm really glad that I did though - I'd always thought I'd be too scared to drive properly and be a nervous wreck but it's been fine. The first time I had to drive past a crash was horrible though.

Our car insurance actually went down when it was for both of us rather than just my husband even when I still only had a provisional license. Not by a huge amount but it was cheaper to insure the both of us than just him.

Question: Why do you think it took six months of weekly lessons?

I'm actually hoping to get it done quickly, not only to rip off the proverbial band-aid but also because I'm eager to become mobile in a place where I now feel trapped in the middle of nowhere. I'm signed up for 10 lessons, one per week, starting a couple weeks from now. I really hope that will be enough. Ideally I would like to be licensed by the summertime.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Pixelated Dragon posted:

I'm actually hoping to get it done quickly, not only to rip off the proverbial band-aid but also because I'm eager to become mobile in a place where I now feel trapped in the middle of nowhere. I'm signed up for 10 lessons, one per week, starting a couple weeks from now. I really hope that will be enough. Ideally I would like to be licensed by the summertime.

This might be a stupid question but will you need to learn manual gearboxy stuff or is it just automatic? I don't know if there's much difference in driving tests in different countries.

In the UK, like Soylent Yellow said, they say an hour per year of your age so 26 lessons (though hideously expensive) isn't unusual. Some people pick it up a lot quicker, some people have lessons for years but if you really want to pass as soon as you can just get as much practice in as you can in between lessons.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Pixelated Dragon posted:

The UK license test is a lot harder than anything we have in North America, from what I hear, to the point that even experienced drivers would likely fail it without instruction on the finer points of what they're looking for.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

This might be a stupid question but will you need to learn manual gearboxy stuff or is it just automatic? I don't know if there's much difference in driving tests in different countries.

In the UK, like Soylent Yellow said, they say an hour per year of your age so 26 lessons (though hideously expensive) isn't unusual. Some people pick it up a lot quicker, some people have lessons for years but if you really want to pass as soon as you can just get as much practice in as you can in between lessons.

You don't need to know how to drive a manual in the US to get a license.

I think everyone should know how to drive a stick shift, but that's a whole other :can:

Griz
May 21, 2001

hookerbot 5000 posted:

America doesn't have separate categories for manual/automatic, just a generic license for everything that isn't a motorcycle or more than like 13 tons.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I learned to drive when I was 18. Apparently this is crazy late in Texas because my instructor asked me why I hadn't driven without a license a bunch, apparently nearly every teen does it. If idiot teenagers can handle it so can you.

nutrimatic
Feb 28, 2014

Pixelated Dragon posted:

I grew up in a city where nobody needed a car to get around. My parents had a car but they rarely used it. When they did it was just when we would go out of town. I didn't grow up seeing my parents drive on a daily basis. Even being in cars with other people and watching them drive is alien to me. Now I am in my late twenties and my spouse's career has moved us to the middle of nowhere. I don't want to be completely reliant upon him for transportation and I'll need to get a job anyway, mainly just to not be sitting at home all day. I passed the written test and got my learner's permit. My first lesson with a driving teacher is scheduled for a couple weeks from now.

I am very nervous about it. Not only is it something completely new but I was in a bad car wreck as a child. I realize now that it had a more profound effect than I thought because I am feeling very anxious about it. I suppose knowing that there others out there who learned to drive later in life will put my mind at ease.

I will also be learning to drive in very snowy, icy conditions. Does anyone have experience with being a beginner driver in bad road conditions?

I didn't start driving until I was 35, and my wife started driving in her late 30's. If you're out in the middle of nowhere there's probably little or no traffic most of the time. Just get out and practice driving for 15-20 minutes at a time. Try to practice there before venturing into heavier traffic areas. There's some pretty rural areas where I live with almost no traffic and these great windy little roads to practice on.

It will probably take you a while before you aren't nervous when you get behind the wheel. Just drive defensively, assume that person will pull out in front of you, that car that just passed you will cut in front of you, and get ready to react. Don't touch your phone while driving, you can always pull over somewhere if you just have to take that call or answer that text. Don't follow people too closely especially at higher speeds, always use your lights and turn signals, and again, just practice, practice, practice. You'll be fine.

Driving in snow, ice, and heavy rain: Drive slowly (or slower at least), accelerate slowly, brake slowly & give yourself more distance to stop than you normally would. If you start to slide turn the wheel in the direction of the slide, not against it. Keep a bag of sand, gravel, or kitty litter in your trunk and put it under your drive wheels if you get stuck. Make sure you have a good spare tire and a jack, and practice changing your tire at least once. Getting Triple A or other roadside service is a good idea, especially if you have an older car. If you have them tow you once a year you'll save money on tow fees right there (which can be up to $400). They'll also jump start you, bring you a can of gas if you run out, new tires, and other things.

Since my cars seem to have a lot of battery problems I've taken to carrying a small socket wrench set in my trunk so that I can remove the battery if it dies. Take it to a parts shop and ask them to test it. If it's bad buy a new one and put it back in your car. I also keep jumper cables in my trunk rather than hoping random passerby have them.

Also some drivers insurance companies offer discounts if you take driving classes or get triple A, so ask about that when you're signing up.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
See? That guy can handle driving, and he actually typed out "Triple A" instead of AAA on multiple occasions :v:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've been wondering about this too. I'm 36 and hoping to be approved for a provisional license soon. Good luck OP, I bet you'll find it's easier than you imagine.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Another question. My husband currently has a 2012 Chevrolet Sonic and a 1992 GMC Yukon. The Sonic is in great condition and it's very responsive. The Yukon is faring well for its age and it drives like an old truck, so it's not as responsive. Which one should I be practicing with? The Yukon is pretty much a beater that we don't dump too much money into and it's fine if I ding it up a little. Even if I wreck it, not the end of the world. Losing the Sonic would be a greater financial losst. It has full coverage, but still. My husband uses the Sonic on a daily basis. The Yukon is only used in inclement weather and if we have to haul lots of stuff. My husband wants me to use the the Sonic because he thinks it will be much easier to manage and therefore safer, and it has more safety features.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 5, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Pixelated Dragon posted:

Another question. My husband currently has a 2012 Chevrolet Sonic and a 1992 GMC Yukon. The Sonic is in great condition and it's very responsive. The Yukon is faring well for its age and it drives like an old truck, so it's not as responsive. Which one should I be practicing with? The Yukon is pretty much a beater that we don't dump too much money into and it's fine if I ding it up a little. Even if I wreck it, not the end of the world. Losing the Sonic would be a greater financial loss if something happens to it. It has full coverage, but still. My husband uses the Sonic on a daily basis. The Yukon is only used in inclement weather and if we have to haul lots of stuff. My husband wants me to use the the Sonic because he thinks it will be much easier to manage and therefore safer, and it has more safety features.

Until you get familiar with how to drive, a small vehicle is going to be massively easier to drive. You'll have better visibility, you'll have a bigger margin for error when it comes to lane positioning and backing up and stuff like that... it's just all around a lot easier to drive a small vehicle than a large one, even for people who have driven for a while.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pixelated Dragon posted:

Another question. My husband currently has a 2012 Chevrolet Sonic and a 1992 GMC Yukon. The Sonic is in great condition and it's very responsive. The Yukon is faring well for its age and it drives like an old truck, so it's not as responsive. Which one should I be practicing with? The Yukon is pretty much a beater that we don't dump too much money into and it's fine if I ding it up a little. Even if I wreck it, not the end of the world. Losing the Sonic would be a greater financial losst. It has full coverage, but still. My husband uses the Sonic on a daily basis. The Yukon is only used in inclement weather and if we have to haul lots of stuff. My husband wants me to use the the Sonic because he thinks it will be much easier to manage and therefore safer, and it has more safety features.
Learn on the Sonic if it isn't too inconvenient. A lighter, more responsive FWD car is going to be easier to deal with in imperfect conditions than a bigass RWD truck. Understeer is probably a lot less dangerous to a novice driver than oversteer too.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pixelated Dragon posted:

I remember when I was learning to drive (as a 16 year old) and spooked the instructor. I'm colorblind and didn't realize at the time that the bottom turn arrow was the green one, so after sitting at the intersection for a couple sections trying to figure out whether the turn signal was green (it wasn't!) I said "welp guess it's green, let's do this!" and just drove out into oncoming traffic (the instructor then used his override break to stop us). It was more due to me being stressed out and overwhelmed than being a massive risk-taker though.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

nutrimatic posted:

I didn't start driving until I was 35, and my wife started driving in her late 30's. If you're out in the middle of nowhere there's probably little or no traffic most of the time. Just get out and practice driving for 15-20 minutes at a time. Try to practice there before venturing into heavier traffic areas. There's some pretty rural areas where I live with almost no traffic and these great windy little roads to practice on.

It will probably take you a while before you aren't nervous when you get behind the wheel. Just drive defensively, assume that person will pull out in front of you, that car that just passed you will cut in front of you, and get ready to react. Don't touch your phone while driving, you can always pull over somewhere if you just have to take that call or answer that text. Don't follow people too closely especially at higher speeds, always use your lights and turn signals, and again, just practice, practice, practice. You'll be fine.

Driving in snow, ice, and heavy rain: Drive slowly (or slower at least), accelerate slowly, brake slowly & give yourself more distance to stop than you normally would. If you start to slide turn the wheel in the direction of the slide, not against it. Keep a bag of sand, gravel, or kitty litter in your trunk and put it under your drive wheels if you get stuck. Make sure you have a good spare tire and a jack, and practice changing your tire at least once. Getting Triple A or other roadside service is a good idea, especially if you have an older car. If you have them tow you once a year you'll save money on tow fees right there (which can be up to $400). They'll also jump start you, bring you a can of gas if you run out, new tires, and other things.

Since my cars seem to have a lot of battery problems I've taken to carrying a small socket wrench set in my trunk so that I can remove the battery if it dies. Take it to a parts shop and ask them to test it. If it's bad buy a new one and put it back in your car. I also keep jumper cables in my trunk rather than hoping random passerby have them.

Also some drivers insurance companies offer discounts if you take driving classes or get triple A, so ask about that when you're signing up.

I'm sure you're a very safe driver, but holy poo poo you sound annoying to be behind. Like, I would be shooting mental death rays at you if you were in front of me on anything other than a 4 lane road.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
OP you are way over thinking this. Think of the dumbest person you know, they can drive a car. People that are super drunk can usually manage to drive a car. A whole lot of money and time was spent by auto manufacturers to insure that driving a car is as simple as possible. Just drive the car and don't get psyched out about it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Driving is fun and adds almost unspeakable freedom to your life if you live in a place like you're describing. You should look forward to it.

Also just accept now that you're going to get into a dumb accident sometime in the next year. It'll happen, no one will get hurt, it'll cost you a few thousand bucks maybe and that's it.

How to drive: Aim the car where you want to go. Don't touch another car.

How to drive in bad weather: Don't go around a corner too fast.

Most of the time if you gently caress up the other person sees this and adjusts so that nothing happens and then you feel dumb. They might honk. Oh well. Those fireball rollover fiascos are really rare especially when you're talking someone other than a an enraged 16-35 year old male driving.

raton fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 5, 2015

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

bunnielab posted:

Think of the dumbest person you know, they can drive a car.

This is exactly what clicked in my head and made me okay with driving. I was 27 when I learned to drive and got my first car. I went from being a nervous wreck to feeling okay behind the wheel in half a day.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pixelated Dragon posted:

100% drive the Sonic. Lessons are a great idea.

You'll be fine. My aunt didn't learn to drive til like 35. She sucks at driving, but she's still probably in at least the 25th percentile.

If you want to learn how to handle snow and ice, find a parking lot right after it snows (hospital parking lots on sundays, etc are good for this) and just drive around a bit. Get the car in a slide and recover. You'll figure out it's not too hard. I would wait til after you have done some basic lessons first.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe
If you can find a campus of some sort to drive around on weekends, do that. Either a college, or a medical campus/residence, someplace that has its own streets, stop signs, intersections, and a low speed limit. Weekends (and evenings) are a good time to drive around the campus, as there'll be less traffic. Then just drive around aimlessly for an hour with a licensed driver who's laid back enough to keep you from becoming a nervous wreck. I taught a friend of mine to drive when he was 24 that way, and it went pretty well.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

This is exactly what clicked in my head and made me okay with driving. I was 27 when I learned to drive and got my first car. I went from being a nervous wreck to feeling okay behind the wheel in half a day.

poo poo I got my license when I was 17 after five loving tries. I still think I pass the road test more or less by accident. I was such a bad driver that my teenage friends would refuse to drive with me. My friend Vicky probably drove my first car twice as much as I did. Anytime I would go out with someone I would drive to their house to pick them up and then immediately switch over to the passenger seat because no sane person would want to drive with me.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
The tests themselves are easy as hell. A blind idiot could pass them. That said holy hell learn situational awareness. Keep your eyes moving to check behind you, blind spots, what the other drivers around you are doing, and so forth. That is like 90% of defensive driving right there and not many people ever learn to do it. It will save your rear end from getting into accidents.

At first you'll have some issues just being comfortable with keeping the car going straight. That very quickly becomes reflexive, and then you'll have to work on getting comfortable maneuvering around other cars, which doesn't take too long either. After that you are officially in the danger zone of feeling pretty comfortable driving while not being great at it yet. This is typically when retarded teenagers rear end someone while talking to a passenger, loving around on a cell phone while driving, or not respecting wet or icy conditions. Just respect the fact that you're in a hurtling piece of metal though and practice will take care of the rest.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

bunnielab posted:

poo poo I got my license when I was 17 after five loving tries. I still think I pass the road test more or less by accident. I was such a bad driver that my teenage friends would refuse to drive with me. My friend Vicky probably drove my first car twice as much as I did. Anytime I would go out with someone I would drive to their house to pick them up and then immediately switch over to the passenger seat because no sane person would want to drive with me.

That reminds me of my father. He has an eye disease and can't see too well, especially at night. He's a terrible driver as a result but he still drives on occasion when he has to go somewhere. He probably shouldn't but he doesn't think he has much choice.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Lots of people are like that, especially in the US. And, truthfully, a lot of them are correct in that they do not have much choice. Unless you're living in a major coastal city your options for public transportation are probably pretty lovely. If they're not lucky enough to have a family member who's willing and able to play chauffeur, what are they supposed to do? Taxis are expensive, the bus system(if one exists) is often awful, and walking usually isn't a realistic option.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
I cant stress this enough, baby steps, baby steps, baby steps. Start off by riding a bicycle around so you get steering down, then move to a quad or a go kart, they are basically like small cars. A little more powerful than riding a bicycle down a hill, and this helps you learn about brakes and gas pedals, then when you feel ready try having your mom in the car with you while you drive around a parking a lot just make sure there are no cops around. Once you feel comfortable in the car try parking it..Parallel parking is INSANE hard so you have to practice that, they will fail you instantly if you mess up parallel parking, its really easy to fail a driving test so dont mess up and you will be fine.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Khizan posted:

Lots of people are like that, especially in the US. And, truthfully, a lot of them are correct in that they do not have much choice. Unless you're living in a major coastal city your options for public transportation are probably pretty lovely. If they're not lucky enough to have a family member who's willing and able to play chauffeur, what are they supposed to do? Taxis are expensive, the bus system(if one exists) is often awful, and walking usually isn't a realistic option.

I've been putting off a medical procedure I need to get on my right foot because it means I can't drive and I don't have enough leave from work to not be able to drive for a few weeks :911:

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

They let children drive. It's easy. One pedal go fast, one stop

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

I cant stress this enough, baby steps, baby steps, baby steps. Start off by riding a bicycle around so you get steering down, then move to a quad or a go kart, they are basically like small cars. A little more powerful than riding a bicycle down a hill, and this helps you learn about brakes and gas pedals, then when you feel ready try having your mom in the car with you while you drive around a parking a lot just make sure there are no cops around. Once you feel comfortable in the car try parking it..Parallel parking is INSANE hard so you have to practice that, they will fail you instantly if you mess up parallel parking, its really easy to fail a driving test so dont mess up and you will be fine.

I've only had two lessons, but I'm going to say you should avoid this man's advice about trying every other vehicle first.

You can drive legally with someone else in private areas in most places too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Pixelated Dragon posted:

Not intentionally. The difference is that teenagers generally have much less intuition around what is considered risky driving, or behavior in general.

• Locked thread