Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

starbarry clock posted:

i only listened to lampshades on fire and it sounds like a modest mouse song whats the problem exactly with it

I think it could have used one more refrain of "where we'll make the same mistakes"/"this one's done, so where to now?" personally. Feels like it ended too soon.

But yeah, the whole band-ain't-what-it-used-to-be refrain has been going on for a straight decade by now. This time I actually get to live it! Exciting times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

But that's the thing, these songs just make me think Modest Mouse trying to write Good News era Modest Mouse again. As a whole, they lack the energy that made the first 3 albums (Long Drive, Lonesome Crowded, Moon and Antartica) so interesting and fun to listen to

The Moon & Antarctica was great in the moment but I don't want to hear another album like it again. Half the album consisted of songs that were either played twice over or interminable instrumental sections. The prog stuff in Lonesome Crowded West bored me, too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Prog stuff like what, Trucker's Atlas?

The 7-minute drum section does jump to mind, yes. Also the latter halves of Trailer Trash, Doin' the Cockroach, Polar Opposites, etc. It's like, you've got the actual song, then the song's over, and then it's time to hear electric guitars being played with angry cats for picks for the next several minutes.

I love all their music, but that's one aspect of it I don't miss.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 4, 2015

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Well so do I, but....I don't know, I guess I liked that a lot more when he was actually semi-coherent? Now he sounds like a crazy homeless dude ranting or something, but it doesn't have nearly the same appeal to me as, say, MC Ride from Death Grips who sometimes sounds like a crazy homeless dude ranting but in an awesome way.

This is the most coherent MM's ever been, which is practically a point against it. The Moon & Antarctica and Lonesome Crowded West were schizophasic rants against vague existential dread; these last three songs are all explicitly about how mankind's apathy and complacency is slowly killing off itself and everything around it.

I'd like something a little more fast-paced soon, though. Something along the lines of Florida or The View or Different City. Coyotes was a straight-up crooner and the other two tracks released so far have just kind of chugged along.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I don't know if it's his present vocal delivery or what, but it just sounds like a jumbled mess to me. To be honest, I haven't paid a lot of attention to what he's saying in the lyrics to these songs so far, probably because the way he's delivering them doesn't sell me and make me want to memorize every word he's saying like with some of their older songs.

I don't know what else to tell you, man. You like their older stuff better and that's fine, no one can argue it and their early days were definitely a lot bolder than everything after Good News, but you're just being deliberately obtuse with your reactions to what's coming out now.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

It's being obtuse to state that the band has changed their sound in a pretty drastic way over the years, and as a result, their new material isn't enjoyable to me in any way because I feel like they've regressed from the instant classic poo poo they used to put out for years?

When you're outright saying that you're not even listening very closely to the stuff that bothers you so much and just keep giving vague non-committal reasons to why it is a bad thing and not a good? Yeah, little bit!

Unless you prefer rending your garments and crying woe to actually finding music and other things you enjoy - and who am I kidding, that's an Internet pastime anyway - there doesn't seem to be much of a point behind any of it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

This has to be a troll. It's the worst song released yet. "Upstairs neighbor had a bunch of lawnmowers.."

That's a good line. As sung, I mean. Yours is wrong, and bad.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

You're as mediocre as the music you like.

Says the former Flaming Lips fan.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Okay, so this is much better than every other song they've released from the album so far (weird guitar bending! that's more like the Modest Mouse I know and love!), but it's still not enough to sell me on this album. I don't think it sounds anything like Paper Thin Walls, which is a much better song.

The sped-up riffs about 40 seconds in and the plucky licks behind Brock's vocals sound a little like the intro of Paper Thin walls, but that's all I'm hearing oh my God I love how bouncy these vocals are

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Little Motel was great at the time because it was such a huge tonal departure from their usual sound and still came off as uniquely theirs - you've got the usual spacey guitar-work over lyrics that consist mainly of vague, bitter ranting against an unseen "you," but this time Brock's bitterness sounds rooted in actual grief instead of just anger (that one point just before the bridge where the guitars start to snarl and it sounds like they're heading for another thrashy breakdown, then immediately back off when Brock mutters "...I'm very sorry" was an incredible moment). I've got a limit as to how much I can enjoy those feedback-choked guitar solos in their older stuff - some of the songs in Long Drive seriously hurt my ears, like the breakdown in "Mechanical Birds/Make Everybody Happy" - but I've had a thing for their quieter songs since "Hotcha Girls" off Ugly Casanova, so obviously it'd appeal to me.

Also the music video was loving heartbreaking even if it was an exercise in abject saccharine.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 4, 2015

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Holy poo poo it's possible to not like Mechanical Birds?

I love the opening two minutes! It's when the guitars start to sound like they're exploding that my head aches.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

That's the best part though :negative:

I like clean notes. Drowning everything in feedback, fuzz, or reverb doesn't grab me as much, and if things get really screechy it goes through my head like a loving spike.

That's no knock against the songs themselves, I know that their earlier stuff was a lot more lo-fi, but I can't do much to get into music that physically hurts.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Incipient deafness can be a wonderful asset in concerts.

edit: I only saw them once live, last year, and went through the next two days with everything sounding like I was underwater

Neat experience but definitely not a risk I'd want to take twice, I had pretty serious tinnitus for like three years for unrelated reasons and it suuuuucked

disheveled posted:

They stopped playing everything weirder than Doin' the Cockroach by the time Good News came out.

I dunno, they played Pistol off the new album and that one is pretty darn odd.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 4, 2015

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Pups to Dust is gorgeous, holy poo poo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Honest to God, I was honest as hell. I don't lie very often, but I lie very well.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you pick up their albums, their three long EPs (Building, Everywhere, No One) you'd only be missing a couple worthwhile songs. Off the top of my head all I can think of is Karma Payment, but I know there's more.

Karma Payment's on the Fruit That Ate Itself EP, which is just as big as the three you mentioned.

Two tracks that don't show up anywhere except on some of the very small vinyl EP's or whatever are Edit the Sad Parts and White Lies Yellow Teeth. There's also a whole second Ugly Casanova album that was released as a documentary soundtrack, but it's nothing to scream about.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Lampshades on Fire and Best Room end too soon. I don't know what could have been done for Best Room aside from maybe a guitar outro like what The Ground Walks had, but all Lampshades needed was one more refrain of "This one's done, so where to now!?" Ending it on that scientists verse just makes it sound premature and pat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Aren't The Fruit That Ate Itself and the old Interstate 8 EP only like four tracks?

Off the top of my head, Fruit has Waydown, Dirty Fingernails, the title track, The House of the Late Scapegoat, Summer, and Karma's Payment. Might be missing one or two.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
From like every music outlet on the planet but Pitchfork in particular:

quote:

Modest Mouse will release Strangers to Ourselves, their first new studio album since 2007, on March 17. But the band is apparently already at work on a follow up, as singer Isaac Brock revealed in an interview with HMV (via Stereogum). "I’m pretty far along with the next one as it is," he said in a published excerpt. "I went in to making this one with two records in mind."

ALL MY BIRTHDAYS ARE HERE AT ONCE

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

Hahahaha. No loving way? I'm sorry but that sounds like something Trent Reznor would have called the remix album of Strangers to Ourselves.

Anyway, what's the consensus? Better than Good News.... or When The Ship....?

He's kidding, no details of the hypothetical second album have been released yet.

I'd put this one on about the same level as Good News. We Were Dead is my favorite album of theirs so my perspective is skewed anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Sugar Boats is my favorite track by far, and this fan-made lyric video is one of the best I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxnO8SXQmpo

It's an old Fleischer cartoon called Bimbo's Initiation, but the way it synced up with the song with only minimal editing is impressive.

Anyway, the album is a bit of a disappointment considering the extremely long wait but there are a few standouts.

That video's pretty good, and also reminds me how hosed up cartoons of that time could be. "Torture, torture, torture, torture, torture, torture, DANCING"

• Locked thread