Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Does anyone else really like Little Motel?

this and Fire It Up are probably my 2 favorite post-Good News MM songs

can't have a MM thread without mentioning the story that apparently the band 'struggled' to actually record Good News because instead of working on their songs in the studio they'd just get drunk and jam on dance hall. every day

my main gripe with modern MM is that i feel like a lot of brock's lyrics have fallen into a predictable pattern/mold, like "we were doing [some action, maybe trying to accomplish something]" followed by either "like [a somewhat odd metaphor]" or "but [the result of our action was unintended]". just feels like he's trying a little too hard sometime, whereas the beauty of his early lyrics was the way he evoked very specific images and moods with somewhat stream-of-consciousness/nonsensical (ok let's level -- drug addled) language

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

How are those two tracks essential? They're good songs, but when you think "Lonesome Crowded West" those do not first come to mind. They don't fit thematically with the rest of the album, there's no reason to break up Trailer Trash and Trucker's Atlas, and the album already has some straightforward short songs (Convenient Parking, Jesus Christ) so they're not needed for variety. Not every good track needs to be on an album.

i don't know how you can think out of gas doesn't fit thematically. it brings back the same motif/riff from heart cooks brain, and its lyrics deal with the theme of interstate travel as a vehicle of aimlessness. also, it has the line "opinions were like kittens i was giving them away" :colbert:

imo i disagree that any of MM's "big 3" would benefit from having songs cut. i could maybe see cutting "jesus christ was an only child" from LCW, but otherwise, i think part of the appeal and (for lack of a better word) genius of the albums is their density and length.

the length makes them harder to digest, but i don't agree that making the albums more easily digestible would make them better. the idea of cutting songs off an album called 'this is a long drive for someone with nothing to think about' is just kind of… backwards… to me.

BNOS is different, but it's a collection of b-sides, not an album proper. even so, i would only maybe lose 'workin on leavin the livin' but even then i'd rather just have them refine/shorten the song a bit than cut it altogether. the idea of wanting to cut all nite diner is just insane to me -- song is vintage mouse

fwiw everything up to good news and even some post-good news stuff is just about my favorite music ever, so i'm probably just a radical apologist for their albums' length

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

not a terrible album in the scheme of things, but definitely worse than WWD and Good News, which have if anything only grown on me over the past few years. just feels a little too dirge-like on the whole -- slow and uneventful. the livelier moments are decent, but just made me want to re-listen to the better livelier moments from WWD (dashboard is a fuckin choice song btw, and the first 1/3rd of WWD is overall just amazingly well done)

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I'm glad this album came out because it made me re-realize how strong the first 5 tracks of WWD are.

• Locked thread