Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The first thing you noticed when you made the translation was the screaming. When they called it the Screaming Vortex, when you found the secret, quiet portal that took you past the obvious gash in reality and let you slip silently into the darkness, you began to hear it, and it has not stopped for days. Sometimes it is quiet, a macabre background to life aboard your vessel. Sometimes, the screaming is so loud that the weaker voidsmen clutch at their bleeding ears and a few of the more cowardly cry out to the Emperor on reflex and old habit. Some of the crew, still fearful from the sudden turn upon the Imperium, whisper treacherous rumors that you've led them all to damnation.

Those whispers grow quieter as the void abacus lights, and the ancient, spinning astrolabes on the command deck align, showing you are near a planetary surface. When you drop in close to this small shoal of reality, it looks normal enough. Scans show an atmosphere, life, a starport, several orbitals, and a few corvettes and other light raiding craft gently orbiting the planetary surface. When you look to it from the sky, however, the planet seems divided into jagged patches with no sanity or order to them; a volcanic region exists right next to stable, fertile plains, while a desert suddenly ends with an area of arctic cold to its east. The orbiting stations are marked with the signs of the Gods, one for each of the Four, and you quickly note that the voidship traffic is segregating itself by faith, save for the massive shipyard, marked only with the eight-point star of Chaos. An automated beacon broadcasts to you as soon as you begin any sort of approach: "Welcome to Nexus, and may the Dark Gods bless your raids and grant you many kills and great wealth. If you are new arrivals, seek the Chaplains of the New Faith aboard Shipyard 93. If you wish to barter and show your devotion to the Gods, you are welcome. If you wish to raid and do battle with us, then may the Gods grant victory and spoil to the strongest."

What do you intend to do now?

Welcome to the game! I know it took me a long time to get the thread up, between some irl stuff and my car breaking down yesterday I was a bit busy. This is going to be a very player driven game, an experiment in not really having an overarching campaign story concept and just letting the Heretics try to become powerful and wealthy enough to fulfill their ambitions as they will as they learn about the Vortex and the ways of Chaos, and take revenge on the Imperium for its slights against them. Between your ship and the ability to leave the Vortex at any time, you should be able to go anywhere you learn about. For now, based on thread voting, we will be starting in the added on world of Nexus, but with the Vortex otherwise vanilla. Good luck, all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Jackson Hobberman

If this was warp travel, Jackson wanted none of it. Having never left his shithole of a homeworld in his life, he figured that with how much space travel actually goes on, it must be a simple process. How anyone could be willing to go out into the void with fething daemons constantly screaming in your ear was anyone's guess, but Jackson longed for the moment they dropped out of the warp. Luckily someone had set up an illegal still on the ship, so Jackson found that being intoxicated practically the entire trip helped with the screaming and distant shots of successful suicide attempts.

The agitator was still buzzed when the ship finally dropped out of the warp and back into real space, and listened intently to the message. "Why the feth should we do anything other than just land down on the planet? I know enough about the Gods that I don't want to be on any stations dedicated to any one in particular, and for all we know the broadcast message is a trap. Let's just take up orbit and send down a shuttle or something."

pre:
Alignment: Unaligned
Pride: Charm
Disgrace: Deceit
Motivation: Dominion

Characteristics:
WS 31=25+6
BS 33=25+8
STR 31=25+6
TOU 30=25+10-5[pride]
AGI 42=25+16-4[Motivation]+5[advance]
INT 42=25+17
WIL 43=25+16+2[motivation]
PER 32=25+11-4[disgrace]
FEL 59=25+17+5[role bonus]+5[pride]+2[motivation]+5[advance]
INF 23=19+1+2[disgrace]+1[motivation]
COR 0=0

Wounds: 13/13=14-1[motivation]

Skills:
Common Lore (Ad mech, Administratum)
Linquisitics (low gothic)
Trade (Remembrancer)
Awareness
Charm +10
Command +10
Deceive +10
Scholastic Lore (bureaucracy, judgment, Philosophy)
Forbidden Lore (Ad mech, Heresy, Adeptus Arbites)
Inquiry +10
Dodge  
Commerce
Logic

Talents:
Air  of  Authority
Hatred  (Adeptus Mechanicus)
Peer (Traitor Legions)
Total Recall
Unshakeable Will
Weapon Training (Las, Primary) 
Radiant Presence
Mimic
Inspire Wrath 
Infused knowledge

Traits:
Quick and the dead: +2 to init
Serpent's Tongue 

Gear:
Good-Craftsmanship Laspistol
BestCraftsmanship  Sword
Mesh  Armour
Chaos symbol pendant
unholy tomes
2 laspistol clips
Disguise kit
Forgery kit

Alignment:
Slaanesh: xx
Khorne:
Tzeentch: x
Nurgle: 

Advances: 1950/2,000
Infused Knowledge 750
Inquiry +10 350
Fellowship simple 250
Agility simple 250
Deceive trained 350

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Voyleg

The Screaming. Oh the endless screaming. Voyleg thought hearing the incessant noises of drilling, explosions and machinery in Kimat 5 were bad, but that was nothing compared to this. It would be one of the many things he would have to get used to it, as he learned more and more about this universe outside the Imperium of Man. But he would endure it all, he MUST!

He ponders a bit after listening to the message on the bridge, while listening to Hobberman's opinion of it. "True enough, what you say makes sense. And yet I feel we must go to this Shipyard 93. We HAVE to learn how this Screaming Vortex and the Gods work, you know? How else we'll learn the tools to bring down the corrupt Imperium? Let's take care and go well-armed to this location."

code:
Name: Voyleg
Archetype: Renegade (+3 BS +3 WS)
Pride: Fortitude (+5 Tough, -3 Ag, -3 Int)
Disgrace: Destruction (+2 Infamy, -4 Fel)
Motivation: Vengeance (+2 Wounds, -5 Perception)

Characteristics:
WS: 36     25 +8 +3 (Archetype)
BS: 48     25 +15 +3 (Archetype) +5 (Advances)
S:  34     25 +9
T:  40     25 +10 +5 (Pride)
Ag: 36     25 +9 -3 (Pride) +5 (Advances)
Int:31     25 +9 -3 (Pride)
Per:29     25 +9 -5 (Motivation)
WP: 43     25 +13 +5 (Advances)
Fel:28     25 +7 -4 (Disgrace)

Wounds: 17/17 
Infamy: 22 (20 +2 Disgrace) 
Infamy Points: 2/2
Corruption: 0

Skills:
Athletics
Awareness 
Dodge+10 
Parry
Scholastic Lore (Tactica Imperialis)
Common Lore (War, Adeptus Mechanicus, Tech)
Linguistics (Low Gothic)
Trade (Mining)
Operate (Surface)
Intimidate
Survival
Tech-Use
Medicae

Talents:
Jaded
Quick Draw 
Rapid Reload
Weapon Training (Chain, Flame, Las, Primary, SP, Bolt, Melta)
Combat Sense
Marksman
Double Team
Hip Shooting
Resistance (Fear)
Iron Jaw
Die Hard

Traits:
The Quick and The Dead

Special Ability: Adroit (BS)

Gear:
GQ Flamer, 2 clips
Bolt Pistol, 2 clips
Best Chainsword
Carapace Armour
Med-kit
-Meltagun
-Preysense Goggles

Experience: 1950/2000
Agility (Simple)            250   Unaligned
Ballistic Skill (Simple)    250   Unaligned
Medicae (Known)             200   Nurgle
Weapon Training (Melta)     250   Unaligned
Willpower (Simple)          250   Tzeentch
Resistance (Fear)           250   Nurgle
Iron Jaw                    250   Nurgle
Die Hard                    250   Nurgle

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013

Moro Sintana

A desperate flight from the dogs of the Imperium, a harrowing journey through the Sea of Souls - all the worse when one can actually hear the screams of the warp clearly, unlike my blunt companions - and I am greeted by an answering machine. Unbelievable.

"I share your concerns, Mr. Hobberman. I have heard enough sermons from clergymen of any stripe to last me for lifetimes. But, this New Faith seems to have some authority in this Nexus - look at the near-field auspex, the other ships and orbitals seem to treat it as neutral territory. We may provoke a hostile response if we simply land without giving them some consideration, and this ship hardly seems suitable for forcing an opposed landing. In any case, we need information and supplies. I see few better options than that shipyard at the moment."

Can I use Psyniscience or my psyker powers to assess the local area for unusual psychic activity (messages, presences, scrying attempts, whatever)? Maybe I could appropriate the ship's astropathic facilities to boost my range.

code:
Name: Moro Sintana
Career: Psyker
Pride: Charm
Disgrace: Wrath
Motivation: Ascendancy

Characteristics:

WS: 35 (25 + 10) 
BS: 35 (25 + 10) 
S: 33 (25 + 8)
T: 31 (25 + 11) [-5 Charm]
Ag: 38 (25 + 13) 
Int: 40 (25 + 15) 
Per: 41 (25 + 11) [Wrath +5] 
WP: 54 (25 + 16) [+5 Psyker][-2 Wrath][+5 Ascendancy][+5 Simple Advance]
Fel: 46 (25 + 16) [+5 Charm]

Wounds 10/10
Infamy 20 
IP: 2/2
CP: 1

Skills:

Awareness
Common Lore (Imperium)
Common Lore (Adeptus Astra Telepathica)
Command
Deceive 
Dodge 
Forbidden Lore (Psykers)
Linguistics (Low Gothic)
Psyniscience
Trade (Linguist)
Trade (Cryptographer)

Talents:

Child of the Warp (fixed Distorted Reflections effect, if permissible)
Jaded
Psy Rating 4
Weapon Training (Primary)
Weapon Training (Las)

Traits:

Chaos Psyker
The Quick and the Dead

Powers:

Thought Sending 
Delude 
Compel 
Mind Probe 
Mind Over Matter 
Precision Telekinesis 
Force Bolt 
Telekinetic Shield 

Mutations:

None (yet)

Gear:

Common Craftsmanship laspistol
2 laspistol charge packs
Good Craftsmanship sword
Flak cloak
Psy-focus
Dataslate filled with arcane lore
Best Craftsmanship Guard flak armor
Refractor field

XP Spent 1,900/2,000

Psy-Rating 750
Delude 100
Compel 200
Mind Probe 200
Telekinetic Shield 200
Command (Known) 200
Trade (Cryptographer) 200
Willpower (Simple Advance) 250 

Emerald Rogue fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 5, 2015

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

Fexildor

Fexildor spent much of the journey roaming the ship, performing maintenance rituals and disassembling nonessential systems to understand their functioning. The screaming had been a most distracting anomaly, but a quick tuning of the filters on his auditory receptors had reduced it to merely a curiosity to be explored at a later time. The sight of the planet itself was most unusual, and the most significant phenomenon were quickly memorized, to be cross-referenced against available research material later. This task complete, he turns to the most pressing issue.

"Our ship's devotion to particular gods: negligible. Recommend avoidance of god aligned conclaves. Risk level of direct surface landing: high. Shipyard indicates concentration of technology and associated resources. Assessment: promising. Shipyard may also provide valuable insight into status and disposition of planet below. Recommend initial contact with shipyard to gather information for further assessment."

pre:
Name: Fexildor
Archetype: Heretek
Pride: Craftsmanship
Disgrace: Betrayal
Motivation: Innovation

Characteristics
WS:  30 
BS:  32 
S:   33 
T:   41 
Ag:  38 
Int: 61 
Per: 35 
Wp:  37 
Fel: 35 

Wounds: 15/15
Infamy: 21 
IP: 2/2
Corruption: 7

Skills:
Common Lore (AdMech)
Common Lore (Administratum)
Common Lore (Imperium)
Common Lore (Tech)
Dodge
Forbidden Lore (Archeotech)
Linguistics (Low Gothic)
Linguistics (Techna-Lingua)
Logic
Scholastic Lore (Astromancy)
Tech Use +20
Trade(Armourer)

Talents:
Die Hard
Lesser Minion of Chaos (Barbas)
Mechadendrite Training (Utility)
Master Enginseer
Technical Knock
Total Recall
Weapon Training (Las, Primary, Shock)
Weapon Training (Plasma)
Weapon-Tech

Traits:
Mechanicus Implants
The Quick and the Dead
Unnatural Intelligence (+2)

Special Ability: Traitor to Mars (+10 loyalty to cybernetic minions)

Gear:
BC Lascarbine
GC Greataxe
Light Carapace Armour
GC Cerebral Implants
GC MIU
Unholy Unguents
Combi-Tool
Dataslate
Utility Mechadendrite
Lumenin Capacitors

CC Mechanicus Assimilations (4)
GC Plasmagun (Cursed Metal downgrade)

Experience: 1950/2000
Tech Use +20 (500xp)
Master Enginseer (750xp)
Intelligence [Simple] (250xp)
Toughness [Simple] (250xp)
Linguistics[Techna-Lingua] (200xp)

Barbas (Lesser Minion of Chaos, Servo-skull)

WS: 1
BS: 1
S: 1
T: 10
Ag: 1
Int: 30
Per: 30
Wp: 25
Fel: 1

Skills: Awareness, Forbidden Lore (The Warp), Security, Tech-Use
Language: Techna-Lingua
Talents: Heightened Senses (Sight, Sound), Light Sleeper, Technical Knock, Unremarkable
Traits: Hoverer 4, Machine 2, Size 2

Gear: Auspex, Multikey

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Emerald Rogue posted:

Moro Sintana

Can I use Psyniscience or my psyker powers to assess the local area for unusual psychic activity (messages, presences, scrying attempts, whatever)? Maybe I could appropriate the ship's astropathic facilities to boost my range.

Your abilities detect, among the general warp-spawn mess of the Vortex, a much more significant amount of psionic activity coming from the Tzeentch aligned station. You also pick up more than a few ships' seers reaching out their own tendrils towards yours; the minds feel nervous, as if the locals are expecting some kind of trouble soon and are afraid of a new arrival. They're trying to do to you as you're trying to do to them, and it's accompanied by plenty of fear, which relaxes somewhat as they detect the smaller size of your ship and the lighter weaponry.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution

For a time, Lidia considering studying the screams academically, if they weren't going away. But one would eventually get used to them - people lived and died here, after all. At times, it seems like the more things change, the more they stay the same. Of course their first stop in this new expanse was a series of orbital stations, just like the ones she'd spent her entire life in.

"A trap... seems like poor business practice. I've no love for any of the R- 'New Gods' in particular, and if we need anything on those stations, I suppose we can go there after we've checked out this apparent 'neutral ground."

quote:

Name: Lidia Richter
Career: Heretek (+5 Int)

Pride: Craftsmanship (+3 Int/Agi, -3 WS/BS, +1 Inf)
Failing: Waste (+2 Inf, -4 Wil)
Motivation: Perfection (+5 Int, -3 Str/Per)

Characteristics:
WeS: 37(22+14)
BaS: 35(22+13)
Str: 30(22+08)
Tou: 42(25+17)
Agi: 43(25+18)
Int: 62(38+19+05) (Unnatural 2)
Per: 30(22+08)
Wil: 30(21+09)
Fel: 40(25+15)
Inf: 23(19+1+3)

http://pastebin.com/Mbj7S1NW

Wounds: 17
Corruption: 0

Skills:
Awareness
CL: Imperium, Koronus Expanse, AdMech, Tech
Deceive
Dodge
FL: Xenos
Logic
+Medicae
SL: Chymistry
+Tech-Use
Trade: Chymist

Talents:
Die Hard
Technical Knock
WT: Las, Primary, Shock, Power
MT: Weapon
Total Recall
Weapon-Tech
Lesser Minion
Enemy (AdMech)
Master Chirurgeon

Traits:
Quick and the Dead: +2 Initiative
Traitor to Mars: Has Mechanicus Implants and Binary Chatter
Mechanicus Implants: +20% to resist air-based toxins
Binary Chatter: Minions with Machine gain +10 Loyalty

Gear:
BC Lascarbine
CC Power Axe
Light Carapace Armor
2 GC Cybernetics (Servo-Arm, Cranial Implants)
Unholy Unguents
Combi-Tool
Data-Slate
Ballistic Mechadendrite w/ Compact Laspistol
Lumenin Capacitors
+GC MIU
+3x Dendrite Blades

Advances: 50/2000 Remaining
N200: Medicae
N350: Medicae+10
N750: Master Chirurgeon
U250: Int+5
U200: Awareness
S200: Deceive

Minion: Servo-Skull

WS01 BS01 S01 T10 Ag30 Int30 Per25 WP 01 Fel 01
Wounds: 2
Skills: Medicae, Tech-Use, Security, Dodge
Talents: Unremarkable, Technical Knock, Heightened Sight/Sound , Total Recall
Traits: Hoverer 4, Machine 1, Size 2 (Miniscule: -20 to hit, +20 Stealth)
Gear: Medkit, Multi-Key
Loyalty: 50 (Fel 40 + Binary Chatter 10)

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 6, 2015

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Jackson Hobberman

Jackson gives a defeated shrug. "Whatever. I'll take for granted that most of what I heard about the Chaos Gods was probably Imperial Propaganda, but I just got busy trying to get out from under the thumb of one grox-shite religion, I ain't fething looking forward to jumpin' right in bed with another so soon." He walks over to the view port and gazes at the neutral ground station. "Couldn't have stumbled upon a more secular Chaos world, eh?"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Nikolai

Nikolai stands on the bridge, queasily, as he listens to the interplay between his new companions. "We could head somewhere else, I suppose, but I wouldn't recommend it. This was the worst warp voyage I've ever seen, heard of , or experienced, and the crew needs time to rest and recover, as do we. If we order them back into the Warp right now, I wouldn't be surprised if they mutiny. I don't suppose I'd blame them. That being said, I agree with those who suggest we head to the shipyard belonging to the so called "New Faith". Is it a trap? Maybe. I'd be surprised if we faced some sort of immediate direct assault. This is too busy a hub to make such open treachery worthwhile. If they were in the habit of slaughtering ships that docked at the shipyard, the news would get around, and people would either stop coming or retaliate. It's to their benefit to be an honest broker and fill us with whatever propaganda they have. So, I say we dock, and we keep our eyes open . . .try to find out exactly what's going on here."

pre:
Name:  Nikolai Grivas
Career:  Apostate
Pride: Wealth
Disgrace: Gluttony
Motivation: Vengeance

Characteristics:
WS: 36 
BS: 39 
S:  30
T:   31
Ag:  31
Int: 30
Per: 35
WP: 35 
Fel: 46
Inf: 20

Wounds 19

Traits

The Quick and the Dead
Serpent's Tongue

Talents

Air of Authority
Hatred (Imperial Navy)
Peer (Rogue Traders)
Total Recall
Unshakable Will
Weapon Training (Las, Primary)
Radiant Presence
Polyglot
Iron Discipline
Deadeye Shot

Skills

Awareness
Charm +10
Command +10
Deceive
Common Lore (Imperium, Imperial Guard)
Scholastic Lore (Bureaucracy, Heradlry, Judgement)
Forbidden Lore (Heresy, The Inquisition, Xenos)
Inquiry
Linguistics (Low Gothic)
Parry
Commerce
Trade (Linguist)
Security
Scrutiny
Survival
Dodge
Logic
Intimidate

Gear
Good Craftsmanship Laspistol
Good Craftsmanship Power blade
Mesh Combat Cloak
Chaos Pendant
Unholy Tomes
2 Laspistol clips
Best Quality Lasgun w/Extended Magazine, Red Dot Laser Sight
Common Quality Refractor Field
Good Quality Power Mace

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Voyleg

The Renegade nods as a consensus is reached...although he's surprised to agree with Nikolai of all things. He glances around the bridge. "So... I imagine we have to hail them back?"

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Fexildor

Fexildor turns to respond to Jackson's dismay "Declaration of allegiance to 'New Faith' unnecessary. Primary objective: Secure additional information. Secondary objective: Procure additional resources. Any action that does not serve one of these two goals: Not Recommended."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Jackson Hobberman

Hobberman crooks an eye-brow at Fexildor before turning to address Lidia. "Why the feth do you speak like a normal damned person, and your comrade over there sounds like he's reading excerpts from an automat repair manual written by a ten year old? Is he broke or what?" He then turns to address Fexildor, saying each word slowly as if talking to a child, "Imma go nice and slow so you can understand me. You assume that they're just standing there handing out pamphlets. The God-Emperor Religion wasn't so keen on not letting you skip on declaring allegiance. For all we know we'll have to listen to an eight hour sermon and get a brand on our foreheads or else get a knife to the back."

Hobberman takes a seat at one of the consoles on the bridge, much to the dismay of its operator when she returns from an errand. "Look I agree that we should probably dock there instead of risk getting blown out of the void; I'm just saying I don't much like the idea is all."

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Moro Sintana

"Vocal communication has its limits, Mr. Hobberman. Dialects, idiom ... Fexildor is simply speaking through an imperfect medium as he has been trained to do. Some loss of fidelity is guaranteed, unfortunately. Try to bear with him - I've certainly had my share of difficulties understanding the lot of you, at times."

Sweeping his gaze across the rest of the assembled heretics, Moro continues.

"Caution is certainly the order of the day. My own efforts in the Immaterium since our arrival have revealed a certain amount of ... tension in the inhabitants. A number of the local psykers have attempted to scry this ship - they seem to be at least as concerned about us as we are about them. They fear that we may upset the status quo here, tenuous as it is. I would certainly prefer a more stable welcome than this, but as has already been said, we must play with the hand we've been dealt."

Moro squares his shoulders and turns to the bustling bridge, snapping off a shouted order in the direction of the communications section.

"Crewman! Bring up the vox and establish a link to the shipyard, quickly!"

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Genetor Lidia Richter

Lidia looked between Fexildor and herself.

"Oh, he's 'embraced the machine' much more than I have - more extensive augmentation, that is. A useful but ultimately misguided path, at least in my opinion. You see, it's not often that we were required to talk to those outside our organization. At least he's still speaking Low Gothic - one of my superiors spoke only in Techna-Lingua. Had a servitor translate if he had to suffer the ordeal of speaking with 'civilians.' Very unhelpful for trade agreements and supply logistics, as you can imagine."

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 6, 2015

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Fexildor

Fexildor goes quiet for a moment as he processes the exchange happening in front of him. He turns back to Jackson and says, "Point about possible dangers: understood. Will incorporate new data into projections. As for speech, linguistics circuits minimal. Considered unnecessary before. More resources dedicated to data storage, analysis. Can attempt upgrade, given time."

OOC: I picked this mode of speech because he's really way more machine than man at this point, and has never really had a need to communicate outside the Mechanicus. Let me know if it's annoying/frustrating though, I can definitely drop it if you'd prefer.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Voyleg

"Least he's actually talking AND looking at you. The Mechanicus types back in Kimat 5 would just...ignore your existence all together while walking with their servitors around, from time to time just shittering strange noises to each other and their machines. Is that the Techna-Lingua?"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"Aye sir, bringing up hailing frequencies now." Within moments, you have someone on screen, someone you think is probably a man, but it's difficult to tell with the serpentine features and long, coiling tail for a lower half, as well as the supremely bloated, fat midsection. Bedecked in black robes marked with the eight point star of Chaos Undivided, he raises his scaley arms in greeting. "Welcome to Nexus, Pilgrims. Our scryers have noted you do not have a strong warp signature, aside from the mind-tendrils of one of the Most Blessed aboard your vessel. I take it to mean you are new to the region, hmm?" He chuckles, the sound coming out as sibilant, hacking hiss. "The True Gods welcome all who have turned their back on the Corpse Emperor. All who can see the truth and desire to walk the Path of Glory. Be welcome in Nexus, and in the Vortex itself, and may they grant you blood, excess, cunning, and love. I am Father Michael, one of the high priests of the True Gods Undivided, one of those who helped drag Nexus from the grasp of the Corpse and into the light of the Gods. I imagine you have many questions about this place, and I will do all I can to enlighten you."

The crew shudders a bit, to see a creature so twisted and openly mutated, but no-one goes to close to comlink. Moro, you believe he was probably referring to you as 'the Most Blessed'. Perhaps these people consider Psykers a gift instead of a curse?

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Genetor Lidia Richter

"Most likely. Technically, there's often different languages for issuing commands to servitors and cogitators, but to you, they both sound like this -"

Lidia let out a burst of static from her vox-synthesizer that could be roughly translated as a greeting.

"- because it's just extremely fast binary. You see, all information can be broken down into..."

Her diatribe on The Sacred Cipher of Mor'se (and its many applications in cogitator science) was thankfully interrupted by the strange creature hailing them, before it could begin. When Michael finished, she latched her servo-arm onto a nearby large pipe and leaned back on it, arms crossed.

"I have some questions, mostly involving any large congregations of hereteks, but that line of questioning might be better to ask of local engineers. I'm sure the rest of you have questions more germane to our current situation. Where to get needed supplies and the like."

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 6, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The creature's face contorts, which you slowly recognize as a frown. "Needed supplies, hmm? I trust you had a long journey. One of the tenants of the Gods is that all demand sacrifice. That can, of course, come in many forms; the laborer sacrifices his labor for his daily wage just as much as the Reaver spills blood for the Gods and takes from the weak with his strength. Your vessel appears to be a scouting-ship, and you possess a fairly powerful example of the Most-Blessed...there is, I think, something you could do for the New Faith that would be rewarded with a secure dock and access to the supplies you need to operate..."

Nikolai, being the only one with Scrutiny, you're able to get a bit of a sense from the 'priest's' speech so far. His peppering everything with devotions to the Dark Gods and in religious terms feels almost like an overcompensation, and there's a touch of fear to the way he talks of it. Like a new guy trying desperately to fit in. He also seems a bit more desperate for help than he's trying to let on, and more relieved to realize you're 'just' a scoutship.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Jackson Hobberman

Hobberman stays off screen while this snake-thing goes on. As soon as he asks for some quid pro quo, Hobberman shakes his head. These idiots were trying to take advantage of them. he just had a lifetime of Imperial fethers taking advantage of him, and wasn't going to start here. He gets up and walks into view of the screen, a big grin on his face. He speaks, and his voice almost seems the come from another person. Where once there was a grumbling man with a gravely voice, the crew now hears someone with a gentle timbre to his voice, and an almost sing-song cadence. "Greetings to you! You are correct in your summation that we are recently arrived, all of us having thrown off the yolk of the Imperium, some through skill and cunning, and others through violent revolution;" he takes a moment to let the veiled threat sink in before continuing, "surly you would not withhold supplies from those having just broken the black chains of Imperial oppression? Allow us to dock and get our most needed supplies, and we can meet with you and discuss what scouting duties you would request of us! You surely want your scout to return; and a weary and ill-provisioned ship cannot do that!"

trying to charm the fether into letting us dock, TN of 69.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Only one DoS on the Charm skill, but that mostly just makes the guy a bit better disposed as they were definitely going to let you dock anyhow.

"Understood, we're clearing a docking bay for you now. Where did you escape from, exactly? Have there been new major rebellions against the Corpse God in Scintilla?" He sounds quite hopeful about that, and the snake-thing's inhuman face is difficult to read, but you think he seems relieved that you seem amenable. Whatever they're worried about, they're really worried. "That whole sector is ripe for raids; most of the plunder that comes through this region comes from the heart of the Calixis sector. So many of their troops and ships are on the Margin crusade, slipping in to pick off a chartist or two can make an enterprising warrior very rich indeed. Our world only recently escaped the periphery of that damnable place, about thirty years back." His tongue slices between his lips a little, hissing in annoyance. "A few of the Corpse God's followers still persist in secret on the planet's surface, hoping to pull Nexus back out of the Vortex and attacking the New Faith. There are high bounties from the local warlords for any of their heads, if you are interested in other opportunities."

"But we should meet in person! I can answer whatever questions you have, and we can discuss how you can assist the Dark Gods and what we can do for you in return while your ship is resupplied as a gesture of good faith. If you need crew, there are always enterprising young voidsmen looking to sign on with a new arrival or warband." The charm seems to have paid off; he's already agreeing to pay first, get the work done later, and he seems to be a good bit more trusting.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Nikolai

We should meet in person., Nikolai agrees. I have no doubt we can help each other, and I'm sure we have much to discuss. Please send us your docking codes. We will begin docking when we receive them. At that, he signals to the voidsman to end the transmission. Then he turns to the rest. Needless to say, be cautious. But "Father" Michael needs our help, desperately, more than he's letting on. Lets find out why."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Docking is, thankfully, not particularly difficult. Fexildor, you notice from examining the way the station is set up that this used to be an Imperial naval station, and that it's been maintained quite well. The machine spirits have resisted the corrosion of the surrounding warp-stuff excellently, and the locals have thus far had enough resources to keep it in pretty good shape. It also suggests there's probably a significant Heretek or Dark Mechanicus presence aboard. Aboard the station, there's a sort of uncanny valley effect to the place, where everything is recognizably Imperial in craft, but all the Aquilas and familiar Imperial iconography has been destroyed, replaced with blasphemous statues of dark, twisted demonic figures and eight pointed stars. The new icons seem almost as ever-present, and oppressive, as any zealous Imperial shrine world. Your ship's small (relatively) size and crew mean that resupplying will be easy; what do you intend to do while waiting? Go see the Father? Visit the markets? See the shrines and data-vaults? Try to visit the Engineering decks?

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Fexildor

As the ship approaches the docking bay, Fexildor examines the station through the viewport. He relays his observations to the rest of the group, particularly the likelihood of other Hereteks aboard. Fexildor is most interested in making contact with them, seeing what knowledge they may have acquired and be willing to share.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Nikolai

I'd suggest we see the good Father first thing, Nicolai suggests. Not only did we say we would, which is not an insignificant reason, but he might have information that can help us. We're alone out here, and I think we're going to need all the friends and favors we can get.

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Moro Sintana

Moro tears himself away from his irritated contemplation of the local architecural aesthetic. This just looks like an Imperial station with the eagles and skulls filed off and replaced with ... well, more skulls! Pointier skulls, in some cases. Apparently, liberation from Imperial oppression does not always liberate the imagination. How disappointing.

"I'll accompany you to see the preacher, I believe. I've never heard anyone refer to me or my kind as 'Most Blessed' before. My presence alone could be advantageous if the local clergy holds psykers in high regard.

Maybe he'll even simper a little. That might be fun."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Jackson Hobberman

Hobberman gives Nikolai a big pat on the back, "Sounds like you got it under control then nob. I'm going to see if some other new arrivals can be swayed to join our humble little ship." Jackson then skips off to find some of the crowded markets and dive bars to find additional crew/muscle. Inciting folks to follow his lead is Jackson's forte.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Genetor Lidia Richter

"A fair assumption. Though I believe that living inside of a warp anomaly could theoretically lead to higher density of mutation among the population, psykers possibly included. You may have a lot of company here. Also, a lot of wriggling and malformed bits."

Unlatching herself from the pipe, she looked out the viewport Fexildor was inspecting and started speaking Techna-Lingua.

++Do you suppose we'll find any real innovation here? Everything seems relatively standard thus far.++

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jackson: The bars are busy as hell. If there's one thing this planet is still producing in bulk, it's definitely good, cheap liquor. Toasts are being raised to Slaanesh and other Dark Gods, but you can tell by the patrons that most of them are doing it primarily because it's the Screaming Vortex and it's a good opportunity for a drunken pirate to do a kegstand. People who've stared death in the face and come back will find any good (or bad) excuse to get good and hammered. Goods are changing hands, people are making deals, and you spot more than a few roving press-gangs and recruiters wandering the bars and marketplaces. How do you intend to start standing out and making your pitch?

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Fexildor

The familiar rapid clicking of Techna Lingua pulls Fexildor from his analysis of the rapidly approaching station. As the docking clamps engage and the ship anchors to the structure, he turns to face Lidia and replies ++The outward appearance is certainly discouraging. The station looks to be in good condition, which would suggest either it hasn't been around very long or what mechanicus presence they have is better suited to maintenance rather than improvement. Still, I will reserve judgement until we know more about them. They may be like us, recently freed from the strictures of "accepted" practice. If they turn out to be simple-minded, we may be able to use that to our advantage.++

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Nikolai

Nikolai isn't sure that he likes Jackson going off alone to recruit, given the other man's obvious ideological biases, but he doesn't see that he has much choice, given that he's committed to seeing Father Michael. He checks briefly to see if anyone is planning on accompanying him, and then heads to meet the so called priest.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Voyleg

With Jackson going to a location and Nikolai going to the other, Voyleg has to think a little where he chooses to go. Jackson was of a mind similar to his own, and could use backup to bars full of rough people. On the other hand the man had experience of his own on dealing with situations like that, and Voyleg didn't trust Nikolai yet. Who knows what he would say to Father Michael on his own?

Donning his carapace armor and with his trusty melta-gun in hands, the Renegade walks alongside Nikolai to his destination. "Figure you could use some protection, who knows what'll happen when we meet this Father Michael?"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Michael is just as strange looking in person, the snake-like creature greeting you warmly as you enter his shrine and office in one of the debased former Imperial churches. He slithers up, grasping Nikolai's hand and shaking it vigorously. "You are the folk from the new arrival, yes? Be welcome here, and may the Dark Gods grant you the strength to walk the Path of Glory. I trust your ship is being prepared, as per our agreement?" He moves down the line, shaking hands and nodding to Moro: "May the Gods bless and keep your powers, Most Blessed, and may they not devour your soul and hollow out your mind, that you may do them service."

He slithers back to his desk, fiddling with one of the unholy pendants among the many dangling from his neck. "Before we begin, I must ask you to keep what transpires here quiet. What I have to ask of you could, if it gets out to the raiders and general population, mean death and destruction for much of Nexus. If you assist me in this matter, though, I can promise you the favor of some very powerful individuals, most specifically a Dark Apostle of the Word Bearers Legion. Apostle Saul is an excellent ally to have; he is the reason Nexus has not yet been...subjected to the more enthusiastic servants of some of the Gods, nor attacked too often by the pirates of the Ragged Helix. I must have a promise of your discretion before I can speak further."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Jackson Hobberman

Jackson weaves in and out of the various markets and bars, seeing that many of the people seem to be much of his same mind. He enters a smaller bar. He's tempted to just stand on a soapbox and begin to preach, but his former experience also taught him that sometimes getting down and dirty with the locals is the best way to do it. He looks for a group of people that seem to be ratings and lacking the hardcore looking marks of Chaos.

Before approaching the group he makes sure to order a drink on the rocks. Feigning being drunk was easy. Get a watered down drink, drink it slowly, "accidentally" spill a lot of the drink. He sits near-by and overhears their conversation, waiting to hear some of the tell-tale signs he was looking for, complaints about leadership and trepidation about Chaos. Hearing what he needs he then approaches the table. "Did I hear yous say somefin' about the Powers?" he says, with his voice artificially slurred, "I hear what you're sayin'. I didn't just fight against some noble Grox-Shites to free my peoples to go runnin' off into the arms of shum other arseholes, amirite?"

He nudges one of the ratings at the table, "Like don't get me wrong. The Chaos guys seem alright, anyone that opposes the Imperium have gotta be somewhat good folks, right? But did you guys get the same request to be preached too?" after getting a few head nods he continues, "those on my ship ain't looking to jump right inta bed wiff these folks, so if fings start looking bad at your ship, come over to ours; we promise to let yas have true freedom, from the Imperium, and from Chaos if you want." He excuses himself from the table as some of the ratings nod their heads. Jackson sighs. Doing it one group at a time is exhausting, but it did work.

Planning to go hit up individual groups of sailors to try and headhunt some of the ones not too keen to go jumping right into bed with Chaos. Setting up on some corner yelling about how these Chaos guys look a little shady is a great way to get killed quickly.

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Moro Sintana

Night10194 posted:

Michael is just as strange looking in person, the snake-like creature greeting you warmly as you enter his shrine and office in one of the debased former Imperial churches. He slithers up, grasping Nikolai's hand and shaking it vigorously. "You are the folk from the new arrival, yes? Be welcome here, and may the Dark Gods grant you the strength to walk the Path of Glory. I trust your ship is being prepared, as per our agreement?" He moves down the line, shaking hands and nodding to Moro: "May the Gods bless and keep your powers, Most Blessed, and may they not devour your soul and hollow out your mind, that you may do them service."

"... Thank you."

That was probably a blessing, right? It sort of sounded like one. Or maybe it was a death threat. Chaos theology seems confusing. The deference is appealing, however.

quote:

He slithers back to his desk, fiddling with one of the unholy pendants among the many dangling from his neck. "Before we begin, I must ask you to keep what transpires here quiet. What I have to ask of you could, if it gets out to the raiders and general population, mean death and destruction for much of Nexus. If you assist me in this matter, though, I can promise you the favor of some very powerful individuals, most specifically a Dark Apostle of the Word Bearers Legion. Apostle Saul is an excellent ally to have; he is the reason Nexus has not yet been...subjected to the more enthusiastic servants of some of the Gods, nor attacked too often by the pirates of the Ragged Helix. I must have a promise of your discretion before I can speak further."

Moro's brows rise in interest beneath his mask as the Father speaks. Interesting - what circumstances have this ... man so desperate for discreet aid that he would approach a handful of literal strangers? The favor of a ruler - a Legionnaire, no less - is certainly a promising opportunity.

"You have my silence, Father Michael. I will listen to your proposal."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jackson, back at the Bar:

You're having some luck (Charm roll, 48, TN 69) finding people. You're getting the impression, even out of guys and gals who are between ships that come from someplace called the Ragged Helix, that for a lot of these folks it's pretty much the same as it was for a lot of the folks in the Imperium. They wear the pendent, they say the prayers, they dedicate a couple of their kills and some of their loot, but they don't really feel it. They're going through the motions just as much as a manufactorum worker does when going to the temple is the only possible way he's going to get an hour of cleaner air and a bowl of nutrislurry.

As you're working the room, one woman near the bar shakes her head, sipping from a beer held in a tentacle while her two hands clean a boltgun. "You're wastin' your time, Newbie. If you came here to get away from priests, you came to the wrong neighborhood. There's no gettin' away from god-botherers in our galaxy. Ain't no-one in this galaxy, human, xeno or whatever, who ain't gonna ask you to get down and kiss some rear end because some jackass in robes is wearing the right bling."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Genetor Lidia Richter

++I suppose observation will do more good than idle supposition. I'm heading out to discern whether or not they possess a dedicated Medicae facility. If not, perhaps I'll see you among the locals?++

Turning back from the viewport, Lidia started to organize another shuttle into the port. Most of these mutations seemed malign, but who knew what the Warp was capable of?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lidia: Finding a Medicae facility is difficult. Most of the followers of Chaos don't seem that eager to put themselves at someone else's mercy or trust others unless they have a bolter pointed at their face, which makes normal patient-doctor relations somewhat awkward. What you do find is more a collection of back-alley patch docs who call themselves the Surgeon's Guild and who guarantee that if they're paid, they're relatively unlikely to steal one of your kidneys and leave you in an ice bath. After poking around a little, you're able to find that they're apparently commanded by a former Genetor, a Linda Gallagher, some former RT Explorator. Knowing their types, she's probably modded to the gills with whatever bits of Tyrannid looked appealing when her last crew killed them, but it sounds like one of your only chances of finding someone who actually understands medicae and genetics work beyond basic surgery and treatment on this station. Do you want to look her up?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Nikolai

Nikolai nods. Of course, Father Michael. As the Blessed One says, you can count on our discretion. Please, let us know how we can help you." Blessed one, eh? This was interesting, at least. And if the man was desperate, perhaps they could get more out of him. So, he leans forward slightly and listens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Fexildor

++Agreed. I will try to make contact with who or whatever is doing the maintenance for the station. Perhaps they will be willing to trade information.++

• Locked thread