Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
Genetor Lidia Richter

Ah yes, the Explorator caste. The leeway they're typically afforded might have once been Lidia's ultimate goal. However, not only was she unable to secure such a position, but she also realized that she would simply need more minds and hands to do her work. Perhaps this Gallagher would be the first she'd acquire. She'd clearly become disillusioned with the Mechanicum's strictures even after serving as an "outsider." She would find her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fexildor: It is, as it was in Imperial stations, surprisingly easy to find maintenance as a techpriest. People are just used to shuffling cybernetic folk in robes, and you're quickly directed to where you need to be just by virtue of looking lost. After wandering the halls for awhile, you find yourself before an old, debased tech-shrine, where fellow, scurrying red-robed figures work on the station's clanking, monstrous gears and life sustainers. The largest of them seems to be in charge, his flesh bits bloated and the metallic implants pitted and charred from some kind of corrosion leaking from the attachment sites, stroking an old cyber-mastiff as he clicks out orders in Techno-Lingua. You also notice your olefactory receptors don't sense any incense at all. And none of the techpriests at work are praying or chanting at all. Just talking about mechanical faults and possible remedies. What do you do?

Father Michael: The snake-man relaxes with a loud hiss, almost like his worries are deflating as he leans back against his tail. "You must understand, I would normally never ask this of such new arrivals, but...Apostle Saul has gone missing. He is...important to Nexus' safety, having sheparded us into the embrace of the Gods in the first place. He is also essential to convincing other Legionaries that we are...ahem. Off limits while we learn the intricacies of how we are to serve." Moro, your passive abilities can detect a spike in fear and adrenaline just from him *thinking* of what could happen to this place without a Chaos Lord's patronage. "Your ship is built to scout. No-one would think anything amiss of a group of new heretics exploring this system. We have his last known location, and if you would agree to help us find out what happened to him, and to recover him if possible, I am certain the Apostle would shower you with rewards for your service. Having allies, friends, among the most devout of all the Legions of Chaos would be quite valuable. There is much we could show you about how to survive here."

Lidia: Finding Linda's office is easy. Just follow the path of people who've been forced by circumstance to donate organs or volunteer for testing to get free treatment. From the size of the medicae facility (and the large number of ominous, heavily secured exam tables and experimental suspension tubes) you can see she likely stole or retired with a good portion of her Trader's wealth. She also has quite a few men and women in all-covering, black flak armor and respirators, marked only by numbers, scurrying around and checking the cages holding twisted, malformed mutants and bulging monstrosities. The Genetor-Explorator herself is...unusual. When you come upon her, you notice she has absolutely no implants any longer, scars of Mechanicus implants tracing lightly across her body and only visible to the trained eye. Everything has been replaced with a biological equivalent, instead. Strange, bio-mechanical limbs are attached to small I/O ports across her body, clicking away at cogitators and titrating fluids as she turns to look at you. "Ah! Company. Did you come to have metal replaced with something more interesting?" She finishes a couple small tasks, reaching up and detaching the additional limbs with a series of wet pops, placing them on a nearby surgical gurney.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Genetor Lidia Richter

Lidia examined both the premises and the explorator herself with interest. No creaking, rusted and oily artifacts of the past here - this was the future.

"Well, it's not what I came here for, but it sounds appealing enough."

She held up her hands, where the palms and fingertips had familiar conductive electoos and I/O ports that formed her MIU.

"I came here because I want to do what the Mechanicus won't. Something on the order of the Gland Warrior project, but on a larger scale. Humanity, version two. But you seem to be the only Biologis on this particular station. Would you know of any large enclaves, or ongoing projects?"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lidia: The woman chuckles, grinning a bit. "Large enclaves of Biologis? The only halfway similar thing I can think of in this God-forsaken hole of a warp anomaly is the Flesh Shapers, and they're really more of dark wizards than anything to do with the Laws of Theology. I'm afraid if you were looking for a tutor in the genetors' arts, you came to the wrong place." She takes a moment to inspect her organic I/O ports, pondering. "The thing is, Sister, what you get here is examples. Samples. All kinds of malleable flesh and warped configurations to study. It's good to meet someone else who doesn't look at playing with someone's genome like a winged kitten with a noble's powdered wig as something to get off on, but to learn something from, at least. The only major project I've got going on right now is trying to build organic equivalents of Mechanicus implants. Almost everything that lives integrates better with the body than anything dead, though there's almost no way to simulate an MIU without plenty of circuitry. What is it about Gland Warriors that interests you so? Our Arch Militant was one of those juicer nuts, I've got more than a little experience studying them."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Jackson Hobberman

A frown crosses Hobberman's face as the disfigured mutant starts to spout her ravings. The drunken slur in his voice lessens as he approaches her, "well if that's your opinion, maybe you should turn your boltgun there on yourself and leave the work to those with conviction." he takes an actual sip of his watered down drink and continues, "I met your type quite a bit doing what I had been doing on my home world. The defeatists that felt there was no way a buncha manufact' workers gonna be able to stand up to the whole might of a planetary gov'ner. Those of us with strength and real convictions kept at it; and we prevailed, for a time. I think the same here lady. There's a lot of people who are fed up with religion bein' shoved down their throats, but they don' fight because they don't think they can make a difference. It's not until those with conviction stand up and show 'em they're not alone, that there's alotta other folks out there like them, that they get that most wondrous of things: Hope."

He picks up his drink and begins to walk away, but turns his head to address her one more time, "if you wanna act like a defeated dog and stay here and sulk, go righta head. But if you want to actually try to make your life better for a change, you overheard where my ship is located."

FYI, completing my move this weekend and Internet not getting set up until early next week, so last update until maybe Tuesday at the earliest, so feel free to move ahead without me.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jackson: From the way the woman splutters as you walk away, you're almost certain you hit the right buttons. You're not sure if she'll show up at the ship to prove you wrong in your estimation of her, or if she'll do it to watch you fail eventually, or if you stoked some actual ember of resistance in her heart, but you ARE sure you've secured a new sergeant for your Armsmen aboard.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Genetor Lidia Richter

"Well, it's honestly the largest sanctioned genetic experiment that I've heard of. Getting them to breed true would probably be a nightmare, but hearing about them was my inspiration. That, and some information on certain Xenos species I was able to get a hold of. Reports on Eldar fast-twitch musculature, orkish resilience, things like that."

Realizing that she's babbling a little, Lidia pauses to catch her breath and think a moment.

"So, you think I should concentrate on samples and experimentation right now? At some point, it's going to take more than just me."

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Fexildor

Fexildor approaches the large techpriest and activates his vocalization module. ++Greetings. I am Fexildor. I seek others who have freed themselves from the obesiance and unnecessary ritual required by the Mechanicus. You appear to be kindred spirits in that regard. Perhaps we may be of use to each other?++

Winged Orpheus fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Nikolai

Nikolai leans forward. "It's always good to have friends, of course.", he observes. "And I can see why it's important to you to have Apostle Saul, back. But, is it important to him to come back? What were the circumstances behind his leaving, and where is he? It seems that while you say he'll reward us, you, ah...., can't give guarantees in his name. From what I hear, Space Marines are, how should I put it, independent minded, yes? But if you could please clarify exactly how YOU would be grateful, that would be much appreciated."

• Locked thread