Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Silver Striker posted:

I generally don't like them but Persona dungeons are some of the best randomly generated ones so I don't mind. If they continue to improve the random generation then that's great.

Please tell me what you think is good about them because I can't think of a single thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

helo, im some retard on an internet forum and this is how I would design a game even thiough its not my job and i dont have the relevant skills haha

Hello.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

Please tell me what you think is good about them because I can't think of a single thing.

I think the designs are interesting and I actually like exploring them and finding treasure. Usually the music is good and the battles are fun, plus you can get a no-encounters thing from shuffle time if you don't want to fight.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I usually hate randomly generated dungeons, but the point of persona isn't to dungeon crawl - the dungeons are just an excuse to fight things.

I like P3's system of completely random dungeons in between story set pieces better than P4's no effort, fixed layout dungeons.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
tartarus was 10000000 times worse than persona 4s dungeons

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
persona 4 dungeons had kewl themes like the snes style one and heaven etc

Dec 26, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Yeah I didn't really like Persona 3's Tartarus very much. They felt too bare-bones and bland. I felt like Persona 4's dungeons had a lot more style and personality to them.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
explolring tartarus was a loving chore, but everything else was Grade A Dope poo poo so i let it slide

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

persona 4 dungeons had kewl themes like the snes style one and heaven etc

yeah i never understood the hate p4 dungeons got

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I.N.R.I posted:

I love P3 but this is objective truth.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I liked tartarus as much as the p4 dungeons. I know it got repetitive but it never bothered me too much

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I think one thing that I didn't like about Tartarus were how the Tartarus bosses were way more annoying than the actual full moon bosses and they're just random enemies that show up and you kill them with basically no fanfare. I think that was handled poorly.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
not to mention at least persona 4 had a puzzle in every dungeon as well. they werent the greatest puzzles of all time exactly but i bet persona 5 will have good ones since atlus just made persona q and that has good puzzles in it

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
actually yeah I forgot about the dungeon bosses being different from full moon bosses in p3. having just one dungeon/one boss for each stage of the game was much better in 4 since the full moon bosses were so easy compared to the tartarus bosses

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

i also didn't mind tartarus because i love epic towers in videogames

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I think we can all agree that Persona 5's dungeons will be :krad: and blow 3 and 4's out of the water.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
P3 dungeon is way better because the individual levels were shorter and there was the reaper who would show up and own you if you took too long

P4 dungeons are just a bunch of overly long hallways you walk down and the later ones do a lot of stupid poo poo like "get this key from floor four than go down to floor 2 and get another key so you can get to floor 8 and the boss" to pad for time

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I.N.R.I posted:

not to mention at least persona 4 had a puzzle in every dungeon as well. they werent the greatest puzzles of all time exactly but i bet persona 5 will have good ones since atlus just made persona q and that has good puzzles in it

The fact that I saw the dude jumping from chandelier to chandelier and ducking behind walls and junk filled me with hope for P5 to weave some platforming or whatever elements in.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I liked the way the music changed as you got higher in Tartarus.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Tartarus had good design and concepts but the padding was pretty inexcusable at points. P4 had padding too of course but at least with them there was more interesting elements around the padding to make it less annoying.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
pretty much the only advantage Tartarus had over the P4 dungeons was the Reaper. You knew to get the gently caress out of dodge if you got put on a tiny floor with no enemies around.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I liked the way the music changed as you got higher in Tartarus.

I liked this too but I felt it started way too slow at the lower levels.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

darealkooky posted:

P3 dungeon is way better because the individual levels were shorter and there was the reaper who would show up and own you if you took too long

P4 dungeons are just a bunch of overly long hallways you walk down and the later ones do a lot of stupid poo poo like "get this key from floor four than go down to floor 2 and get another key so you can get to floor 8 and the boss" to pad for time

i dont think they were padding time in persona 4 considering the game has like 50 hours of cutscenes :P

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i also didn't mind tartarus because i love epic towers in videogames

adventurefeel FTW

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

Just watched the trailer. Holy. loving. Shitballs. I'm so loving excited for this. Jesus gently caress, I'm shaking right now.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Just watched the trailer. Holy. loving. Shitballs. I'm so loving excited for this. Jesus gently caress, I'm shaking right now.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Meet Arsene.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

it would be cool if enemy encounters were instantly won if you're way overleved for them. like instead of first-striking they just poof into xp/drops.

i remember that happening in earthbound when i was grinding for the sword of kings and it was very nice

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

pretty much the only advantage Tartarus had over the P4 dungeons was the Reaper. You knew to get the gently caress out of dodge if you got put on a tiny floor with no enemies around.

killing the reaper was cool

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

i dont like his hat

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Looks like they're going with thieves for their pantheon this time around. I wonder if we'll get a Robin Hood or a Fantômas Persona.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Looks like they're going with thieves for their pantheon this time around. I wonder if we'll get a Robin Hood or a Fantômas Persona.

The MC's foil should have Fantômas as their Persona.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
fingers crossed for a Hudson Hawk persona

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

SunAndSpring posted:

I'd say they would take the form of extra DLC if we're talking about thieves.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'd say they would take the form of extra DLC if we're talking about thieves.

I summon the facade used to face life's hardships... The Persona, EA Games.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

Wow check out those sweet new sound effects.

Edit:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
so apparently all that cool-looking gameplay footage? that was taken from the PS3 version.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

so apparently all that cool-looking gameplay footage? that was taken from the PS3 version.

cool. maybe its being developed for the ps3 + just ported over to ps4 for the sake of having it on both consoles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i was hoping that the ps4 version wouldnt have a bunch of stuff missing in the ps3 version since i bought my ps3 in the first place when p5 was first announced..

• Locked thread