Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
The final update is here! Thanks for watching!

:siren:NO SPOILERS AT ALL.:siren:
Not even in tags! Spoilers and such go in this thread instead, which is all about spoiler discussion! Thanks.

Silent Hill 2 is a survival horror game released by Konami in 2001, and was the first game to kill the Silent Hill franchise - this time by not being a direct sequel to Silent Hill 1. (Silent Hill fans have always been weird with saying every sequel has “killed” the franchise...)

It’s about James Sunderland, a sad guy who is trying to meet up with his wife in Silent Hill. Problem is, his wife has been dead for 3 years, which really puts a damper on this whole date they have planned. Not to mention that there’s monsters, corpses, and fog all over the town, too. Why has James been called to this town? What’s with all these scary things in it? Who's that pointy-headed guy? Let’s find out!

This is an informative/humorous, spoiler-free, subtitled Let's Play. The other thread has voiced, spoiler-heavy versions of these videos. For more info about it, please watch this video. I also spent a lot of time working on it and I think it looks pretty cool, so consider giving it a look for that reason, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tQ-Ci32gvQ

VIDEOS
The Attract Movie that plays when you idle on the start screen
Episode 01
Episode 02
Episode 03
Episode 04
Episode 05
Episode 06
Episode 07
Episode 08
Episode 09
Episode 10
Episode 11
Episode 12
Episode 13
Episode 14
Episode 15
Episode 16
Episode 17
Born From a Wish 01
Born From a Wish 02
(Alternate endings are in the Nerd Commentary playlist!)

Music!
Pay Attention! by Alexander Rosetti

VoidBurger fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Silent Hill 2 is cool and good

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Game's rad, VoidBurger's rad, everything about this is rad.

Gatorfade
Nov 24, 2014

bark
Woo! Very excited for this. I played the Silent Hill games at far too young an age in my opinion and your SH1 LP was a fun look back for me. I actually didn't love SH2 when I first played it, I liked 1 and 3 better, so maybe this will open my eyes.

King Christmas
Oct 17, 2012

I fell out of a plane crash because you need to stop.
I've been looking forward to this for a while. I've played a fair amount of Silent Hill 2 but I gave up a while ago and never finished, and I'm interested to see what happens. (I'm terrible at Silent Hill games, it takes me forever to find where to go and the puzzles go way over my head).

Also to celebrate the new LP please enjoy this SH2 Vine I made a while ago.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I learned so much about this game from this video! I know the plot of the game and I've seen the Run Button playthrough but never noticed the sound direction.

Also, there's a scene in the opening where it looks like he's peeing in a urinal and I'm disappointed he wasn't.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
I always felt that first road was meant for bicycles with how narrow it is. Also man, the sound design is a lot spookier than what I remember...then again I could never play this game alone as a kid, always had to have someone near me.

Medium puzzles? For shame. :colbert:

ritcheyz
Dec 25, 2008

You've gotta be crazy
Gotta have a real need
Excited to see this. The only other Silent Hill I've ever experienced was Shattered Memories, and that was through your LP of it.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Been waiting literally years for this, knock 'em dead voidburger.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Oh my god the long awaited VBSH2LP. I never thought I'd see the day

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
The way James looks at items/points of interest reminds me of Grim Fandango, which was released three years before this game. It would be neat if the developers actually did lift that feature for this game as a supplement for its puzzles.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

What's Pale Ville exactly? The road sign said it's closer than Silent Hill, but we seem to be in Silent Hill without going through any other towns yet.

Mored0ts
Mar 18, 2009
I apprechiate the lengths you have gone through to get good-looking footage. Capturing in high quality from the PS2 is a hassle. Still preferable to me, but this is the next best thing.

Some criticism:

If you want the viewer to apprechiate the sound design and atmosphere of a scene, consider using fewer interjections. Concentrating on reading takes away from being able to take the game in. The beginning walk thorugh the forest would have been better at setting the mood without you "talking" about emulators, Alan Wake references, and well jokes.

Speaking of jokes, it seems like you don't take the game serious if you joke about everything you see. Main character introduction, crack a joke - Mary's letter exposition, crack a joke - a road sign - a white van - a forest path - a well - a savepoint - a second character, better make a whole lotta jokes, followed by speeding everything up into high-pitched squeals and then saying "the tension has already been established". It wasn't for me. It might not be necessary to have a snarky subtitle for everything we come across if you want to convey the game as having a threatening or oppressive atmosphere.

Last thing is that you change to and from first and third person narration constantly. I think it could help immersion if you decided to just speak as James or just as a narrator, but it's not a big thing.

Still, so far one of the best SH2 LPs I've seen.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

kvltmanifesto posted:

What's Pale Ville exactly? The road sign said it's closer than Silent Hill, but we seem to be in Silent Hill without going through any other towns yet.
Good question! Paleville is a town near Silent Hill, to the west. But the mile numbers are odd, which makes me wonder if the sign was not referring to South Silent Hill (which is where we've just arrived), but Central Silent Hill (which the area where Harry was farting around for most of Silent Hill 1).

Click here for an absurdly large map, if you're interested in absurdly large maps of fictional places! The map has grown over the years, and the whole area to the right is where Silent Hill Downpour takes place.

Edit: Fixed the map link, I don't know why it was 404'ing...

VoidBurger fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 7, 2015

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Mored0ts posted:

I apprechiate the lengths you have gone through to get good-looking footage. Capturing in high quality from the PS2 is a hassle. Still preferable to me, but this is the next best thing.
Why is capturing from the PS2 preferable, if I may ask?

Mored0ts posted:

Some criticism:

If you want the viewer to apprechiate the sound design and atmosphere of a scene, consider using fewer interjections. Concentrating on reading takes away from being able to take the game in. The beginning walk thorugh the forest would have been better at setting the mood without you "talking" about emulators, Alan Wake references, and well jokes.
This is how I LP. Also, you can still hear the sound design over my subtitles, so this is a very perplexing criticism in that regard. I didn't want the multi-minute forest jog to be boring, which is usually is if you're not the one playing the game and reacting to the noises yourself.

Mored0ts posted:

Speaking of jokes, it seems like you don't take the game serious if you joke about everything you see. Main character introduction, crack a joke - Mary's letter exposition, crack a joke - a road sign - a white van - a forest path - a well - a savepoint - a second character, better make a whole lotta jokes, followed by speeding everything up into high-pitched squeals and then saying "the tension has already been established". It wasn't for me. It might not be necessary to have a snarky subtitle for everything we come across if you want to convey the game as having a threatening or oppressive atmosphere.
This is how I LP. I don't like LPing games in an overall serious manner. By and large, it seems that most people enjoy my casual and joking manner because it puts them at ease during an otherwise frightening game. Lots of folks have told me that the only way they've been able to enjoy these games is because I'm making fun of it. And I sped up a part because I was wandering around a graveyard, lost, for a solid minute and that's terrible entertainment, just watching me grope around in the fog for a gate.

Mored0ts posted:

Last thing is that you change to and from first and third person narration constantly. I think it could help immersion if you decided to just speak as James or just as a narrator, but it's not a big thing.
This is also how I LP. I change between 1st and 3rd person for many reasons. Sometimes the joke is funnier that way. Sometimes I'm making fun of me, sometimes I'm making fun of James. "James is a smart boy" vs. "I am a smart boy" isn't as funny, whereas "AAAAH the bugs are in my hair!" makes more sense/is funnier than "AAAH the bugs are in James' hair!!" And sometimes it just takes up less space in the subtitles to joke about something in 1st person or 3rd person.

Mored0ts posted:

Still, so far one of the best SH2 LPs I've seen.
It seems like what you really want is a longplay of SH2, though. Have you seen any of my other Let's Plays? This is my established style/method of doing it that I've had for about 6 years now. :confused: If you really don't like me making an Alan Wake joke, you're REALLY gonna hate the things I do later. And don't watch my Origins Let's Play because I actually changed the final boss to be the white van as a joke.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I usually think "this is how I do things" is a kind of lovely argument but you're really asking for the entire style of LP to change.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

VoidBurger posted:

Good question! Paleville is a town near Silent Hill, to the west. But the mile numbers are odd, which makes me wonder if the sign was not referring to South Silent Hill (which is where we've just arrived), but Central Silent Hill (which the area where Harry was farting around for most of Silent Hill 1).

Click here for an absurdly large map, if you're interested in absurdly large maps of fictional places! The map has grown over the years, and the whole area to the right is where Silent Hill Downpour takes place.

Thanks! And I do love absurdly large maps!

Not sure why, but clicking the link brings me to http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img217/428/silenthillmap.png even though the url points to http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img217/428/silenthillmap.png

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
I had nearly given up on this LP ever happening.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Holy poo poo, finally! Super stoked to watch this. Going to be actively participating in this and in the super-mega-spoiler-zone thread, probably!

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

This game always struck me as more melancholic than "scary" per se, but that's what I really like about it. This whole opening bit really sets a mood that horror games don't really understand anymore, too. :(

Mored0ts
Mar 18, 2009

VoidBurger posted:

I didn't want the multi-minute forest jog to be boring
Well, I don't think it's boring. I think it's unsettling and foreboding. Are you bored when you play that part? Others may find it boring to watch, but my opinion stands.

VoidBurger posted:

That's how I LP. Have you seen any of my other Let's Plays? This is my established style/method of doing it
I must apologise because I missed the bit in the OP saying this is a humorous LP. You trade atmosphere for entertainment value, which is your prerogative of course. Just giving my opinion here that there are too many jokes for my taste when you explicitly warn about handling mature subject matters. Not saying there should be none, just less in atmosphere-building scenarios imo.

I see your point about the first/third person thing now.
I'd like to see PS2 capture only because I'm a purist in these things. I want to have the original experience, without emulator shenanigans. Does not really apply to a humor LP.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Mored0ts posted:

Well, I don't think it's boring. I think it's unsettling and foreboding. Are you bored when you play that part? Others may find it boring to watch, but my opinion stands.

I must apologise because I missed the bit in the OP saying this is a humorous LP. You trade atmosphere for entertainment value, which is your prerogative of course. Just giving my opinion here that there are too many jokes for my taste when you explicitly warn about handling mature subject matters. Not saying there should be none, just less in atmosphere-building scenarios imo.

I'd like to see PS2 capture only because I'm a purist in these things. I want to have the original experience, without emulator shenanigans. Does not really apply to a humor LP.

This Longplay of the game may be what you're looking for.

Great LP VB, I'm looking forward to following both threads.

Mored0ts
Mar 18, 2009

SystemLogoff posted:

This Longplay of the game may be what you're looking for.

Great LP VB, I'm looking forward to following both threads.

You know what? I realised I just want to play the game again myself. Gonna setup my old crt TV and try to find the game somewhere. Will still follow the LP. I watched the first video again and had a much better time now that I don't have the wrong expections.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Wow, that fog is thick. I mean I know that there was lots of fog in this game, because that's something everyone knows, but I had know idea how dense it is.

It seems a bit annoying right now, but it's probably good for horror purposes.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I still love that one lady's delivery of "Lost???" in the cutscene, shortly after James first meets her by the gravestones. Like she's hella judging him for somehow getting lost on a road that only forks onto a single path that goes down to a cemetery past a fuckin' spooky forest. :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Wow, that fog is thick. I mean I know that there was lots of fog in this game, because that's something everyone knows, but I had know idea how dense it is.

It seems a bit annoying right now, but it's probably good for horror purposes.

In the original, it was really just explaining away lovely PS1 draw distance, and then it just kinda became a thing for Silent Hill to be foggy.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Been waiting for this for ages, like all the rest... I like the hi res graphics, looks good.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
A Voidburger LP, cool. And an LP of SH2 that doesn't make my eyes want to bleed, cool.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Haerc posted:

A Voidburger LP, cool. And an LP of SH2 that doesn't make my eyes want to bleed, cool.

I think Ceraph's (currently on hiatus) isn't that bad and Niggurath's is a standard Niggurath fare which I'm okay with but the Run Button's one... Oh god the Run Button's one.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Aumanor posted:

I think Ceraph's (currently on hiatus) isn't that bad and Niggurath's is a standard Niggurath fare which I'm okay with but the Run Button's one... Oh god the Run Button's one.

The graphics are just super dated, it's an old rear end game. Until she mentioned it, I assumed VB was playing the HD version, I didn't know that the HD versions had turned out terrible :(.

Haerc fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 6, 2015

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

You already edited your comment, but as a quick comparison

Voidburger's

Niggurath's

Voidburger's is kinda washed out / grey in comparison, but it's not horribly aliased.

100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS
Oh duuuude I thought you'd never do this. Love your previous SH LPs, can't wait to see this one.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Yeah, the sound design is fantastic! Metal scrapings, howls and fleshy, gooey... sloshes, it's all so uncomfortably weird and obviously way better than screechy violins and animal roars or whatever a lot of games do. And the soundtrack is fantastic, much more melodic than in the first game but still really depressive and dissonant :allears: sooo goood

(also, wooo, a Void Burger let's play, you're awesome!)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Wow. The V.A. in this game is atrocious.

porkbun
Aug 6, 2006

Mored0ts posted:

I'm not as awesome as Voidburger but I did record an commentary LP of this years ago from my PS2 if you are interested...though I make fun of the game a bit too but I also try and explain mythos and easter eggs along the way: My LP

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

Samovar posted:

Wow. The V.A. in this game is atrocious.

Crappy voice acting also seems to be a cornerstone of Silent Hill games. I think this one was still done in the era where they basically called the actors in and they literally just read the script without even knowing much about or seeing much of the game. Having no idea what you're reading for would make even really talented voice actors have weird, stilted delivery I think.

Some fans seem to like it because they feel it increases the games' surreal, dream-like quality though, so :shrug:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Garrand posted:

Voidburger's

Niggurath's

did Niggurath do his with the PC version? That was the version I played when the game was brand new and...yeah it rang familiar to me (not to mention glorious graphical glitches)

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Aces High posted:

did Niggurath do his with the PC version? That was the version I played when the game was brand new and...yeah it rang familiar to me (not to mention glorious graphical glitches)
It was the PC version, though I don't really recall any graphic glitches when I played through. Just some audio issues that forced me to play on a single core.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Yeah you didn't but I did when first playing the game about 12 years ago. It was one of those "need x video card and x only" games so my cousin and I got a great kick out of Mary's skirt being none existent rxcrpt for the reflective aspect of the design. The first enemy was just a pair of legs and mannequins were invisible. A magical experience it was :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
I have been looking forward to this LP for so long. The dual-thread idea is a good one and I'm interested to see first-time reactions to this game. Good luck Voidburger!

• Locked thread